Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adam's 818R Turnkey Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    That's what I noticed too, I hope that the customer is a lot shorter than the driver. Need to do straight edge test from roll bar over his head and to the top of the shock tower and A arm structure...
    Yes, if I am a tech inspector, I am going to take a HARD look at any car where the seat is almost as tall as the main hoop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yeah man, it will be a challenge to get any dmv guy to pass that with you up so high and no full windshield, not sure of New hamshire's rules, so you might get lucky. In ri, mass, ct etc no way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Nice work. I would love to see how the rear wing is mounted. I plan on using the shorter mounts so the wing is not so high.

Here is my seat height-
    That's more like it! I'm curious why Adam's car seat is so high. Is this a temporary mount?

On another Chad-related note, brother why would you want the wing lower? The roll bar is already messing with the flow as is; lower looks to get into muddier air. Any semi-secret plans here?

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    No secret plans. The interference would be minimal. Plus it will not look like a shopping cart
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes, I'm a tall guy and if I looked that goofy in my planned 818 I'll have to rethink it. It goes from looking cool to goofy.

Example with the Lotus T125 Cool vs. Goofy because Jeremy Clarkson is tall

Post Thanks / Like
    The seat height is about 3" higher than if it was directly mounted to the floor but being that this car is going to have different drivers a seat slider was added witch added the extra height to the seat. The owner of the car is 6'4" so if the seat was directly mounted to the floor it would also taken away from the leg room. The solution we came up for this is that we are planing on adding more frame and a taller roll bar because even with a low seat mounted to the floor the clearance would be close.

This is what we did for the wing mount. Hard to see in the pic but it ties the trunk hinges together. Still leaves the trunk area useable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle@AJW View Post
    This is what we did for the wing mount. Hard to see in the pic but it ties the trunk hinges together. Still leaves the trunk area useable.

Is there anything supporting the rear section of the wing cage? Or is the weight simply being forced down into the fiberglass body?
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another shot with a little better lighting.

Post Thanks / Like
    What intercooler are you using?
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    A quick Edit, car is really coming together and looking good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    What intercooler are you using?
    That would be our AJW Performance Intercooler, please PM us if you have interest in purchasing one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Morning everyone, car is getting close! As many of you noticed the seat is very high since Adam is a tall guy. We're going to be sending the car to have the roll ball extended so that there will be more clearance. We will keep everyone updated on how this process goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How tall is he, cause my friend Hershey's like 6'2 and fit under my bar and my seats are 1 1/2 off frame. Also my neighbor is like 6'4 and fit under the bar. I just think cutting the bar and doing all that could be done with different seat placement. Are you guys on the frame with the seat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    How tall is he, cause my friend Hershey's like 6'2 and fit under my bar and my seats are 1 1/2 off frame. Also my neighbor is like 6'4 and fit under the bar. I just think cutting the bar and doing all that could be done with different seat placement. Are you guys on the frame with the seat?
    We have to meet this criteria

The top of the roll bar shall not be below the top of the driver’s helmet when the driver is in normal driving position, and shall not be more than six inches behind the driver. It is strongly suggested that the roll bar extend at least three inches above the driver’s helmet. In case of two driver cars, both drivers must be within the roll bar height requirement, however only one driver must be within six inches of the roll bar.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good to know,thanks

But from ajw's pics it appears the seat is not fixed to the x brace and up some on mounts. My point was that with maybe a different seat, or seat mounting, cutting the frame might not have to happen. Offcoarse adam could be like a super wookie lol. Just wondering it something else has been tried.

Post Thanks / Like
    A helmet adds 2-3". For wheel to wheel you have to be at least 2" below the top of the roll hoop, and the normally more difficult requirement, your helmet must be below a line drawn from the front hoop to the main hoop. I have yet to see a picture of any 818R that's looks to meet the second part with a 6'+ driver with a helmet.

I am bit bit worried about the "having the toolbar extended" statement. You can't extend the rollbar, if it's too short you have to replace it as the main hoop has to be one piece. And if you replace it on an R, to stay legal for wheel.to wheel, you need to redo some of the bracing as well. So getting that seat as low as possible, and raking the driving position is definitely where you want to start.
    Last edited by Grintch; 04-24-2014 at 04:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    image.jpg
    I am 5'9 with a helmet I am 3 1/2" under the bar with a race tech helmet, and kirkey roadrace seats. My seats are 1 1/2" off the cross brace. This might be an issue for some, (portion will matter). The R roll does look higher though. The kirkeys are super thin so that's a must. I will get my friend who's like 6'2 to sit in it with his helmet at autocross this weekend.

From a quick guess I would say 6'1-6'2 might be the max before a bar extension.
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 04-24-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    image.jpg
    I am 5'9 with a helmet I am 3 1/2" under the bar with a race tech helmet, and kirkey roadrace seats. My seats are 1 1/2" off the cross brace. This might be an issue for some, (portion will matter). The R roll does look higher though. The kirkeys are super thin so that's a must. I will get my friend who's like 6'2 to sit in it with his helmet at autocross this weekend.

From a quick guess I would say 6'1-6'2 might be the max before a bar extension.
    The seat height is about 3" higher than if it was directly mounted to the floor but being that this car is going to have different drivers a seat slider was added witch added the extra height to the seat. The owner of the car is 6'4" so if the seat was directly mounted to the floor it would also taken away from the leg room. The solution we came up for this is that we are planing on adding more frame and a taller roll bar because even with a low seat mounted to the floor the clearance would be close.

Post Thanks / Like
    The production 818R's have a taller roll bar than the prototype R. It's also taller that the S models.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have noticed that, but it looks like they didn't change the bracing. It makes me wonder if the revised version is legal, as the bracing has to be attachedd within 6" of the top of the main hoop and it looks low with the taller main hoop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Morning everyone,

We figured we would put a close to this thread. Adam's 818 has been sent off and is now in hand by Adam. We will now be transitioning over to finishing our own 818S.

Here is a shot of Adam's 818 leaving the shop.

And a teaser of the AJW 818 and New Motor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12