Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: FFRSpec72 818R Build Seattle WA

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tony!

Post Thanks / Like
    So I did not earn enough points to spend a lot of time on the car this weekend but I managed to get the Killr-B windage tray and Oil pickup installed along with a new larger capacity oil pan, and thus a new dip stick.

KillerBWindage.jpg Sealant.jpg STiOilPan.jpg NewDipStick.jpg

Here is the new bracket installed

NoACBracket.jpg

Also I got my wire harness back from iWire, I hooked it up to the engine (standalone) and gout the engine to fire up after the Killer-B install. More on the wire harness to come in the nest few weeks. So I sent the harness away and it weighed 29lbs and I got it back and all electrical components weighed in at 23lbs

WP_20140125_004.jpg iWireHarness.jpg
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 04-27-2014 at 09:19 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Off to see the fabricators this week, as I need steel side panels, steel seat floors and aluminum rear fire wall and also get my cockpit to fuel firewall bent @ the right angle.

SidePannelModel1.jpg DriversFloorModel1.jpg PassengerFloorModel1.jpg RearFireWallNewModel1.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    So I did not earn enough points to spend a lot of time on the car this weekend but I managed to get the Killr-B windage tray and Oil pickup installed along with a new larger capacity oil pan, and thus a new dip stick.

KillerBWindage.jpg Sealant.jpg STiOilPan.jpg NewDipStick.jpg

Here is the new bracket installed

NoACBracket.jpg

Also I got my wire harness back from iWire, I hooked it up to the engine (standalone) and gout the engine to fire up after the Killer-B install. More on the wire harness to come in the nest few weeks. So I sent the harness away and it weighed 29lbs and I got it back and all electrical components weighed in at 23lbs

WP_20140125_004.jpg iWireHarness.jpg

49lbs to 23lbs.

Congrats again!
    When we say to our customers "if there is anything you need, please ask," we mean it.
    iWire Subaru Wiring Services
    Over 100 Custom 818 Wiring Harnesses Built
    http://www.iwireservices.com/factory...18-wiring-kits
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iWire View Post
    49lbs to 23lbs.
    Wow! You win:

Biggest-Loser-Chal-TITLE-FINAL.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice day, took the R out for a spin around the driveway

OutsideStroll.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A spin? hah nice. You guys are getting some of the same amazing weather we are. I feel bad to get such nice weather while the east coast is getting pounded.
    Those aluminum side panels are a great call. I can't wait to see the final product of your build. One of these days I will cart my car up your way and we should share a track day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony, to go back to the seats, (sorry), if you install an FIA seat with a back brace, then, you never have to worry about certification or recertification, right? Have you used any good back brack? I always though it was weird to weaken a seat by drilling holes into the back and add a bracket mounted with bolts right in the back of your neck....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Doowop View Post
    Tony, to go back to the seats, (sorry), if you install an FIA seat with a back brace, then, you never have to worry about certification or recertification, right? Have you used any good back brack? I always though it was weird to weaken a seat by drilling holes into the back and add a bracket mounted with bolts right in the back of your neck....
    yea, go figure, also you can't use a brace on a composite seat. So I have used the IO Port back seat brace with good luck http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...uct_Code=SBB15 I'm sure that I will have to make this fit as they always need some additional welding, fitting, etc.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    No additional progress this week as I'm away for 2 weeks, I have my steel floor and steel side panels at the powder coaters. My rear firewall is done along with the bending of the FFR supplied firewall. The fuel cell was to ship this week but they are still finishing this up, so hope next week its better

I will have to spend time on my challenge car when I get home as I have the engine torn down since the head gaskets went and the heads got cooked.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    yea, go figure, also you can't use a brace on a composite seat. So I have used the IO Port back seat brace with good luck http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...uct_Code=SBB15 I'm sure that I will have to make this fit as they always need some additional welding, fitting, etc.
    when you say that you can't use a brace on a composite seat, you mean, you shouldn't or it's not legally allowed? After doing a little research online I found a shop that build a bracket that mount between the seat belts hole. I like the idea even though I would make the bracket a bit wider than they have it. http://www.izzyscustomcages.com/BMWSpecE30_2.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a shop that build a bracket that mount between the seat belts hole...http://www.izzyscustomcages.com/BMWSpecE30_2.html
    Wow! Somebody has more time and money than they know what do do with. All that to hang onto a seat back? Understanding that a six point harness is going to hold you in place and the seat itself must be bolted down.

Post Thanks / Like
    when you say that you can't use a brace on a composite seat, you mean, you shouldn't or it's not legally allowed? After doing a little research online I found a shop that build a bracket that mount between the seat belts hole. I like the idea even though I would make the bracket a bit wider than they have it. http://www.izzyscustomcages.com/BMWSpecE30_2.html
    There is quite a debate about seat back braces on FIA rated seats, composite or not. Sparco says their FIA seats are designed NOT to have a back brace, that the seat is engineered to absorb energy by bending and not breaking. They say if the seat is stiffened by bracing it may actually overload the seat in places and it will break. It's designed to deform as a unit and when you stiffen it the design it won't work properly. They also say it won't absorb energy that will now be passed into the driver and belts instead of the seat. They are clear that all the FIA testing is done without any back bracing and so it may actually be out of compliance (illegal) to mount one with a back brace.

And to clarify, it you are using a Kirkey or UltraShield seat you must use a back brace.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Sgt. Gator, at this point you either use an aluminum seat with a back brace or use a composite seat that is mounted via FIA rules and you will be safe. I will use adjustable tracks since I'm 6'0 and my daughter is 5'3" and the seat will have a back brace attached to the rear main hoop
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    What thickness did you do on the floor and side panels?
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    What thickness did you do on the floor and side panels?
    I had 1/8" steel floor and side intrusion plates made, also the rear firewall is 1/8" aluminum
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    FIA Certified fuel cell is here, see http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...456#post160456 for pictures and details
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    So had a few hours this weekend, and I installed the seat flloring, which is 1/8th inch steel, I also put the lower portion of the FFR rear firewall in and set the seat in the car to mock up the seat room. So I get the exact same let room as I have in my challenge car, from from aluminum to rear of seat I have 49", so my legs are flat out, I'm 6' with a 32" inseam. So bottom line is that I have no issue with leg room and having a 12gal fuel cell behind my seat.

WP_20140713_0101.jpg WP_20140713_0081.jpg WP_20140713_007.jpg WP_20140713_004.jpgWP_20140713_0021.jpg WP_20140713_0061.jpg WP_20140713_0111.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    After 3+ months on back order the Koni shocks finally arrived
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a few hours to spend on the car this weekend, I went to install he pedals but was missing the front pedal plate and the throttle pedal mount. So installed the shocks (as they were back ordered for a few months). The manual did not say but I assume for the front shocks I use the upper holes for the R (as pictured)

RearShock.jpg FrontShock.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a few hours to spend on the car this weekend, I went to install he pedals but was missing the front pedal plate and the throttle pedal mount. So installed the shocks (as they were back ordered for a few months). The manual did not say but I assume for the front shocks I use the upper holes for the R (as pictured)

RearShock.jpg FrontShock.jpg
    Yep. Use the upper ones.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    A few more hours tonight, completed the timing belt and water pump replacement and thermostat

TimingBeltComplete.jpg
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 08-04-2014 at 11:46 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Any tips on putting engine/trans in as I'm getting ready to do that in a few weeks ? I assume I should do the trans block off plate work before I put engine in ?
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Engin Assy going in.jpgEngine Slung 2.jpg
    Any tips on putting engine/trans in as I'm getting ready to do that in a few weeks ? I assume I should do the trans block off plate work before I put engine in ?
    I did, and fitted the assembly into the chassis in an unconventional way...because I have only a chain hoist to use.

So I slung the engine and eased the chassis under the engine. Was really easy as I could inch the assembly down and inch the chassis, on its dolly, under it... both as slowly as was necessary to get it in with absolutely no problems.

Engin Assy going in.jpgEngine Slung 1.jpg
    Last edited by freds; 08-05-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the trans block off plate after motor/trans install. It helps you get leverage to get the rear nut off inside the trans.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    I assume all exhaust off and oil filler off ? How about the axles, I have them mounted now, do I have to take them off or will they slip in ?
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Remove the oil filler pipe and the coolant reservoir at the top right.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    They slip right in

Post Thanks / Like
    So made some progress yesterday as I had some help from the "Boeing" boys (Nick and James who I race with) and Jeff (building a MkIV Roadster). We got one of the anti-intrusion panels installed and got the engine and transmission installed.

So the anti-intrusion panel (1/8th inch steel) is installed on passenger side, minor fit issues due to welds, but nothing an angle grinder can't fix

WP_20140816_002.jpg

Engine and trans took more time, we chose to block off the trans mission when not attached to engine, that went fine no issues, installed new clutch/pressure plate, pilot bearing, no issues, the throw out bearing was a little harder (not seen this kind of setup before. Once that was done we attached trans to engine and they lifted engine and trans into car, the major issue we had was getting the axles in place, after some struggling we got that done and then put the transmission mount in first and then lowered the front of the engine in place and all went in.

WP_20140816_001.jpg WP_20140816_004.jpg WP_20140816_003.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    You will have to cut the coolant tube area in the side intrusion plates (Front).
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    You will have to cut the coolant tube area in the side intrusion plates (Front).
    There has to be a better way to run the cooling pipes, not looking forward to that. I assume you went with the hard lines and not the SS Flex line that FFR provides?
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I played hooky from racing this weekend, weather looked real bad, so Saturdays was a washout but looks like I missed some OK weather for Sunday and today, oh well. So I did get some things on the 818 done

I got the front firewall aluminum installed, brake master, clutch master, steering column and pedal box installed.

WP_20140831_005.jpg WP_20140831_006.jpg

I also stared to mount the ear firewall I fabricated, I'm being schooled in aluminum strength by the Boeing engineers, so after much discussion I went with an aluminum 3 piece rear firewall which is removeable from the cabin area. I also used nut plates for installing the rear firewall, which gets me around the rivnut spin problems.

WP_20140831_003.jpg WP_20140831_0041.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I decided to go with brushed aluminum panels coated with Sharkhide, on my challenge ar I went with powder coating, not completely happy so wanted to try this method which seems to be cheaper
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I had some time to play with the car this weekend and I finished installing the drivers side anti-intrusion panel (so now have both driver and passenger side complete), also finished up the front aluminum panels.

WP_20140914_006.jpg

I also finished the rear engine firewall, so now I have a removable firewall between fuel cell and engine. The rear firewall that FFR supplies from tank to seating area has a lot to be desired so I'm going to look at designing a replacement for that also.

WP_20140914_003.jpg

Also mounted the gas pedal, I did a hybrid, as I used the mount from FFR but bolted and riveted the pedal assemble to the FFR bracket and then mounted the FFR bracket, no flex

WP_20140914_005.jpg WP_20140914_004.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I had some spare time so ran the rear brake lines, I used nickel-copper line, 25' spool and used 20' to run the rear lines, I have one junction and that is att he rear fuel cell area (I used the T that FFR provided). I used 10mm male fittings for master and for left/right brake SS lines. I rant the line down the center console. I don't have the line mounted yet just some zip ties holding it in place until I get the clamps put on.

Here is the master cylinder and line going to rear

WP_20140927_006.jpg WP_20140927_005.jpg

down the center console

WP_20140927_004.jpg

split at then start of the fuel cell area

WP_20140928_003.jpg

passenger side

WP_20140928_002.jpg WP_20140927_001.jpg WP_20140928_001.jpg

Driver's side

WP_20140928_006.jpg WP_20140928_005.jpg
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 09-28-2014 at 10:35 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent progress.

Also. Clean the lens on your camera.
    Fast Cars, Fast Women, Fast Haircuts!

Post Thanks / Like
    In the passenger side pic, how close is the brake line to the exhaust?
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    In the passenger side pic, how close is the brake line to the exhaust?
    I was wondering the same thing. Seems a bit close.
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. Seems a bit close.
    The perspective is not well presented in the pictured, so I have about 5-6 inches between brake line and heat shield. Not many other choices in routing the line. I feel comfortable with the distance, I feel more comfortable than the FFR routing path.

Here is a picture with better perspective

WP_20141011_001.jpg
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 10-12-2014 at 09:46 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I had some time today so I installed the floor panels (1/8" steel plate) and the interior aluminum side panels

Drivers side

WP_20141012_003.jpg

Passenger side

WP_20141012_0011.jpg
    Passenger side
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 10-12-2014 at 11:16 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast