Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: FFRSpec72 818R Build Seattle WA

Post Thanks / Like
    I have lots of years running on Carbotech pads, what I find is that a car that is weighted in the heavy in rear needs more aggressive pads in front to avoid the rear from locking up, I would far rather have the front lock than the rear, so I find this split of pad compound to be just about right, so I will see how this works out on the 818. The front and rear pads are the same surface area, the front pads are just thicker by a few millimeters
    We do too, we always have run split compounds and master sizes using both Carbotech and hawk, but my understanding was to use same master sizes and same compound for rear biased cars with downforce. I hope I'm not wrong, but Im sure I will know after the first lockup

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRacing View Post
    We do too, we always have run split compounds and master sizes using both Carbotech and hawk, but my understanding was to use same master sizes and same compound for rear biased cars with downforce. I hope I'm not wrong, but Im sure I will know after the first lockup
    Just to let you know how our brakes are biased.
    We have no areo.
    All four calipers and pads are identical. Rotors are very close to the same size. Our wilwood pv is in the rear circuit turned down 4 revolutions.
    Over a 1000 track miles with no brake issues.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 07-15-2016 at 03:33 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Bo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Just to let you know how our brakes are biased.
    We have no areo.
    All four calipers and pads are identical. Rotors are very close to the same size. Our wilwood pv is in the rear circuit turned down 4 revolutions.
    Over a 1000 track miles with no brake issues.
    Bob
    Bob, thanks for the input as this will help as I setup the car as other experiences always help. I did add a BV on front and rear circuit just in case so if the compound is not balanced I can take most of that out with the BV.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm targeting August 4th at the Ridge for test and tune, not my choice of tracks for test & tune but PIR or PR don't have any days open. I need to figure out how I'm going to tie down the front of the car in the trailer, not sure yet, rear I will use the rims with straps.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, we may make that date at the ridge as well, car is in for tuning, should have it back this week. An hour to put the body back on and we are good to go.
    Need to rush my RX7 so that we can break that in as well that weekend, needs some time on track.

Post Thanks / Like
    I loop straps through the wheels, works great. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...3o0&ajaxhist=0

Post Thanks / Like
    THe only problem with that is nothing stops the car from bouncing on the springs and working the shocks without airflow over them, so the get very, very hot on a long tow. We are looking for answers as well, due to our lovely sealed floor and nothing to tie it down to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well to me that is over thinking, and that is the only way we can tie down a GT3 car, Trans Am car, Porsche Cup car or prototype.

Post Thanks / Like
    Problem solved- this is what I did on the rear of my old R

The hole is bigger than the bolt, just snug it down right. I did not have any issues. Simple and easy.

http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Tie...oductinfo/E04/
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 07-21-2016 at 12:45 PM.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    Well to me that is over thinking, and that is the only way we can tie down a GT3 car, Trans Am car, Porsche Cup car or prototype.
    You have seen their car right? :P
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    COOL! Ill have to see if we could do that. Was thinking, over thinking probably, of installing a bounce limiter from frame to LCA, to compress the frame down onto the arms to limit cycling the shocks during towing. I know this stuff seems trivial, but God is in the details....and ive burned myself on a shock before while removing the tie downs after towing for 8 hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    After thrashing the car a little this weekend, I have a oil leak so now I have to figure out where, it has to be the remote oil cooler/filter connections as it does not look like an engine leak. Also had gauge wire issues, all fixed now. Finished hooking up the fire system.

I do have some side to side axle play., not sure if this is supposed to be like that or not ?
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Problem solved- this is what I did on the rear of my old R

The hole is bigger than the bolt, just snug it down right. I did not have any issues. Simple and easy.

http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Tie...oductinfo/E04/
    Yes these are the ones I got
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    I do have some side to side axle play., not sure if this is supposed to be like that or not ?
    I think yes, cuz the CVs can move back and forth on the axle, probably about 1" overall. Mines do, both CVs, although I didn't try once installed if I can move the axle side to side.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    I think yes, cuz the CVs can move back and forth on the axle, probably about 1" overall. Mines do, both CVs, although I didn't try once installed if I can move the axle side to side.
    The wheel hub CV should not have play in the axial direction.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    There is play to allow suspension travel which slightly changes the length of the overall driveshaft (both my CVs have play before installing). But I don't know when installed if by hand you can feel the play, maybe that's what you're referring to?

Tony your play is on the car or shafts removed?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    There is play to allow suspension travel which slightly changes the length of the overall driveshaft (both my CVs have play before installing). But I don't know when installed if by hand you can feel the play, maybe that's what you're referring to?

Tony your play is on the car or shafts removed?
    On the car, I imagine that there has to be some play since the suspension move up and down an thus changes length of axles. The axles have a bout 1/2 of travel in/out
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no play when on the car, by hand I cannot feel any. If you do, I believe there's a problem.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no play when on the car, by hand I cannot feel any. If you do, I believe there's a problem.
    I should have been clearer, I have the female CV joints as I used a 2002 WRX for parts, so the CV joint goes on to the transmission axles, I can move the CV joint back and forth, ohhhhhh crap I forgot to put the roll pins back on and I bet the axle holes and CV joint holes are not aligned .... I really don't want to have to take the rear apart again f$%#$%^
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 08-04-2016 at 10:39 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I should have been clearer, I have the female CV joints as I used a 2002 WRX for parts, so the CV joint goes on to the transmission axles, I can move the CV joint back and forth, ohhhhhh crap I forgot to put the roll pins back on and I bet the axle holes and CV joint holes are not aligned .... I really don't want to have to take the rear apart again f$%#$%^
    Hopefully the holes are aligned but if not, try unbolting the top bolt that goes through the spindle and lower coilover. You should be able to tilt the spindle outward enough to pull the inner CV joint off the trans. I don't think it'll mess up the alignment either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Hopefully the holes are aligned but if not, try unbolting the top bolt that goes through the spindle and lower coilover. You should be able to tilt the spindle outward enough to pull the inner CV joint off the trans. I don't think it'll mess up the alignment either.
    No they are not, thanks for the tip on what to try. Anyone know what size the roll pin is as these were off the car when I got the parts and that is why I forgot the pins since I did not disassemble the car
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    No they are not, thanks for the tip on what to try. Anyone know what size the roll pin is as these were off the car when I got the parts and that is why I forgot the pins since I did not disassemble the car
    I'm not sure of the diameter but it's subaru p/n: 905190007 (axle spring pin), they're about $3 a piece. I also used an 02 donor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    I'm not sure of the diameter but it's subaru p/n: 905190007 (axle spring pin), they're about $3 a piece. I also used an 02 donor.
    I was able to just unhook the upper lateral link and tilt the spindle and get this fixed. I had the pins in my donor box but had no idea what they were for, now I know as that saved me some potential damage !
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm almost finished my intercooler forced air, this is running from the side vent inner scoops picking up the surface air on the side of the car as I have increased the front fender gap to help surface air flow. The intercooler is not centered, so made clearance an issue. Now I just have to figure out how to connect 4" brake duct hose to 3" brake duct hose as the internal scoops are 4" and the intercooler ducts are 3" (as you see in picture).
    WP_20160807_11_37_46_Rich.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 08-08-2016 at 10:31 AM.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I also finished running the wideband O2 sensor to the data logger so I can keep an eye on the AFR, I have ordered a gauge also so I can have a visual look-see w/o having to wait to look at the logs.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm almost finished my intercooler forced air, this is running from the side vent inner scoops picking up the surface air on the side of the car as I have increased the front fender gap to help surface air flow. The intercooler is not centered, so made clearance an issue. Now I just have to figure out how to connect 4" brake duct hose to 3" brake duct hose as the internal scoops are 4" and the intercooler ducts are 3" (as you see in picture).
    What did you use internally to collect air from the side scoops to your ducts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by idf View Post
    What did you use internally to collect air from the side scoops to your ducts?
    Some prototype scoops from FFR that mount on the inside of side vent on the side sail, so they force the air up to a 4" outlet at the top of the side vent. There are some picture some where in my posts here
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Tony! Very interested in how effectively your ducting works. While I won't be using a top mount, I'm torn between jamming an intercooler in front of a rear wheel or ducting to a rear mount.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    Looking good Tony! Very interested in how effectively your ducting works. While I won't be using a top mount, I'm torn between jamming an intercooler in front of a rear wheel or ducting to a rear mount.
    The only concern I have is idle time, I should not have much of that. I may also add a fan, but I will be able to tell if I'm getting heat soaked pretty quickly
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Tony, quick question for you: I am running an HPDE day in a couple weeks and the rule sheet said no antifreeze - straight water only. Is that typical for SCCA/NASA events? It isn't something I have ever had to do for HPDE. I understand the reasoning behind it but am not keen on running straight water on an engine I would like to get a reasonable amount of mileage out of.

I figured you might know. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Hey Tony, quick question for you: I am running an HPDE day in a couple weeks and the rule sheet said no antifreeze - straight water only. Is that typical for SCCA/NASA events? It isn't something I have ever had to do for HPDE. I understand the reasoning behind it but am not keen on running straight water on an engine I would like to get a reasonable amount of mileage out of.

I figured you might know. Thanks.
    Yes standard track regulation not a SCCA/NASA/xxx regulation (so this may vary per track) but lets face it 99% of the HPDE cars are daily drivers and they all run antifreeze, on my race cars I run a anticorrosion additive and that all.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tony. What anti-corrosion additive do you like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Thanks Tony. What anti-corrosion additive do you like?
    Here is the one I use and it actually works not rust and I leave it in for 2 years and then change http://www.no-rosion.com/hyperkuhlcoolant.htm
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can also use Redline Water Wetter, it can be found at many chain auto parts stores. Most tracks and HPDE groups either mandate or highly recommend flush the system and use water. The reason is antifreeze is like oil on the track. Now with all that said most car groups don't check or just don't enforce the rule. As stated the reason is most that are new to track days drive the cars to the track.

Post Thanks / Like
    Or run Water Wetter or Purple Ice. They have anti-corrosion in them too. But they won't work as anti-freeze, you have to add anti freeze in the winter. Both are available at any auto parts store.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    BAD NEWS, I have a oil leak, looks like the oil cooler line. I need to find a new one ASAP as I have test & tune on Friday

WP_20160813_16_49_52_Pro.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doh, hope you can get it sorted quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Found a 3" to 4" adapter so finished up my vents and intake to the intercooler

WP_20160813_07_43_58_Pro.jpg WP_20160531_17_25_50_Rich.jpg WP_20160813_10_25_07_Pro.jpg WP_20160813_08_39_55_Pro.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast