FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Honolulu 818S Hana (work/build) Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Honolulu 818S Hana (work/build) Thread

Thanks to all of you that have been posting, asking questions, and documenting your builds for all of us to learn from!

It's been fun and educational to keep up with your progress especially from those with skill and experience.

My kit should be here in a week so I thought I would document my build, from a little less experience perspective. It might prove out that my thread should be titled "everything wrong thread", we will see.

Donor options here in Hawaii are almost non-existent, so I ended up buying a wrecked 2000 Imprezza Outback with a EJ22 located on the Big Island. Paid $200, then paid a buddy of mine to strip it and ship over just what I needed. Then I have been buying/shipping over what is not compatible with the kit. I will also be using an automatic, so I have taken on another challenge!

Due to the the extra expense of the FFR crate and then $4300 to ship, I will have to be a little more cautious to keep the final cost in line.

image.jpg

My completion date was 8/31, then a week for FFR to crate it, picked up from my shipper 9/9. It should be in Long Beach now, then a week to cross the Pacific.

BTW, the crate dimensions furnished by FFR are 16' long, 52" high, 6'6" wide and to weight 1500-1600 lbs.
    "In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria."

818 (Chassis #34) Delivered 9/25/2013, First start 3/2/2014, First drive 4/5/2014, Registered 8/28/2015, First Dyno 3/18/2016, First SCCA event 4/3/2016, First car show HIN Honolulu 4/23/2016

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    With Girls like that how will you be able to work on the 818? LOL. Best of luck on your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice.

I was stationed in K-Bay from 2002 until 2007 (HMH-463). Good luck wit the build.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Ho Hawaiian! Charge 'em!! +1 on the rookie build!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck on on the build, I'm sure you'll do better than this Potagee when I get my kit Lol.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats..............too cool. that cars going to be the Mac Daddy there!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats in advance!
    Can you please post some photos of the crate before you knock it down, I've got to ship mine o/s and have to decide between less than container load (cheap) or full container load (safe)
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    With Girls like that how will you be able to work on the 818? LOL. Best of luck on your build.
    You have to have priorities! 818 first!! We live across the street from the main beach park

image.jpg

So you have beach days and 818 days!
    "In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria."

818 (Chassis #34) Delivered 9/25/2013, First start 3/2/2014, First drive 4/5/2014, Registered 8/28/2015, First Dyno 3/18/2016, First SCCA event 4/3/2016, First car show HIN Honolulu 4/23/2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    Nice.

I was stationed in K-Bay from 2002 until 2007 (HMH-463). Good luck wit the build.
    I hope you enjoyed your time here! We have been here for almost 3 years, can't see leaving.

Thanks for the good luck wish, after spending the last month or so cleaning and painting parts I sometimes ask myself what I got myself into.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by randy808 View Post
    Ho Hawaiian! Charge 'em!! +1 on the rookie build!!
    Thanks for the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Good luck on on the build, I'm sure you'll do better than this Potagee when I get my kit Lol.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence! When do you get your kit?

Quote Originally Posted by riptide motorsport View Post
    Congrats..............too cool. that cars going to be the Mac Daddy there!
    In our building and surrounding condo's we have every exotic, Lambo's, Ferrari's, R8's, Bentley's, Porsche's, and a SLS. Hopefully I am successful and my 818 will stand out!

Here is a pic of my engine cleaned up;

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgyTim View Post
    Congrats in advance!
    Can you please post some photos of the crate before you knock it down, I've got to ship mine o/s and have to decide between less than container load (cheap) or full container load (safe)
    Cheers
    I sure will! I had also asked FFR about a different sized crate to be built to better match the inside dimensions of a container. But the crate in the pic is their standard crate made for all kits, and Jay said they couldn't. But I believe the crate could be made shorter, since the front of the frame is not attached, and fit sideways in a container. Otherwise the crate takes up so much room nothing else fits in the container. If enough people ship overseas I think it would be worth looking into farther. I'm only speculating at this point as I have not yet received mine to get actual measurements.

Shipping is a lot more money than the extra cost of a special crate.

I will take several pics of unloading and post for those that are interested, as in this case, I guess I'm the first.

Post Thanks / Like
    For some approximate shipping sizes I had 2 kits on a 20' x 6' flat bed trailer. It had about 2' of over hang on each end and a 6" gap between the 2 kits.
    My full size van I estimate at 5'x5'x10" was packed to the ceiling with both parts kits.

loading.jpg

I suspect FFR could get about 3 kits in a 40 footer and 4 kits per 53' container by making 2 story 6'W x 12'L x 6'H crates with car in bottom and parts upstairs.
    Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 09-16-2013 at 12:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll bet FFR designs a new crate for the 818 when they are ready to start shipping them overseas. Since the 818 is designed to be a world car, it stands to reason they will be shipping a lot more of them overseas than they have other kits. Making a crate that takes up 1/2 (or less) of a crate just makes good sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've always wondered what jobs people living in Hawaii had or if they made their fortune elsewhere and then relocated. I think its pretty coll you're building one in Hawaii.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloha818 View Post
    I hope you enjoyed your time here! We have been here for almost 3 years, can't see leaving.

Thanks for the good luck wish, after spending the last month or so cleaning and painting parts I sometimes ask myself what I got myself into.
    Yeah,
    My Wife and Daughter mention going back every few months. Though I admit to a little island fever.

Outstanding job on the driveline. That's the best clean-up and detail I've seen thus far.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Very nice, engine looks mean and clean.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure you'll need some expert help, will work for room/airfare
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you building it? I was just out there (work sent me for a week to work on our system at The Queens hospital, and the system wasn't working so trip got extended, and extended, out to 3 weeks total - yeah, I'm a committed worker like that). I see you are in a high rise, across from the commercial Marina area, right? So no build space there I'm guessing.

Don't give us the address or anything that would be a security risk, but what kind of space are you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    For some approximate shipping sizes I had 2 kits on a 20' x 6' flat bed trailer. It had about 2' of over hang on each end and a 6" gap between the 2 kits.
    My full size van I estimate at 5'x5'x10" was packed to the ceiling with both parts kits.

loading.jpg

I suspect FFR could get about 3 kits in a 40 footer and 4 kits per 53' container by making 2 story 6'W x 12'L x 6'H crates with car in bottom and parts upstairs.
    Bob
    Thanks for contributing your experience and feedback, this will be helpful for those after us!

Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    I'll bet FFR designs a new crate for the 818 when they are ready to start shipping them overseas. Since the 818 is designed to be a world car, it stands to reason they will be shipping a lot more of them overseas than they have other kits. Making a crate that takes up 1/2 (or less) of a crate just makes good sense.
    If you see in my pic of the kit in the crate you can see how much smaller the body is than the crate. It would have made a lot of difference in my shipping/crating cost if just the body was in a small crate and the rest of the boxes could have been plastic wrapped on a pallet. Or as already mentioned, a "second story" above the body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I've always wondered what jobs people living in Hawaii had or if they made their fortune elsewhere and then relocated. I think its pretty coll you're building one in Hawaii.
    Most peoples perspective of Hawaii in general is usually wrong. People see TV shows and movies or come here on vacation and only see the tourist areas. But day to day life here is the same as the mainland, people go to work, take their kids to school, go shopping, etc. Due to the extra cost of living here though you see a generation or two living in the same property. Entertainment costs are less as a large percentage surf, hang at the beach, or fish. Then utilities are generally less due to the moderate weather. Most people don't realize that the highest grossing chain retail/restaurant locations are here in Honolulu. Victorias Secret, Bath & Body, Home Depot, Costco, Walmart, Cheesecake Factory are some of the many #1 locations for their chain.

Military employment is high here, myself, I'm in Commercial Construction.

image.jpg

Last nights sunset!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    Yeah,
    My Wife and Daughter mention going back every few months. Though I admit to a little island fever.

Outstanding job on the driveline. That's the best clean-up and detail I've seen thus far.
    Thanks, trying to get everything cleaned and painted before next weeks delivery!

Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Very nice, engine looks mean and clean.
    Thanks for the compliment, I know the EJ22 is Subaru's least performing engine, but its what I'm stuck with now, might as well make it look good though. I have a TD04 with 10k miles I'm going to add on. Based on info from a Subaru forum you can get about 70 HP with a reasonably safe 5-6 psi of boost, more if you add meth. with its 10/1 compression should be minimal lag? With no real world driving experience with the 818 who knows what HP you need. Usually more is better, but at what cost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    I'm sure you'll need some expert help, will work for room/airfare
    What dates do you want me to book? Pack a set of wheels, EMS, and your tuning gear. Give me a few days with the kit and I might add a couple more items!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    Where are you building it? I was just out there (work sent me for a week to work on our system at The Queens hospital, and the system wasn't working so trip got extended, and extended, out to 3 weeks total - yeah, I'm a committed worker like that). I see you are in a high rise, across from the commercial Marina area, right? So no build space there I'm guessing.

Don't give us the address or anything that would be a security risk, but what kind of space are you using?
    You must be the golden boy of your company, usually only the best of the best get the work trips out here!

We live across the street from Ala Moana Park. The marina you see in the pic is behind the Ilikai, down the street a few blocks. This is the hotel/marina that you see in the original Hawaii 50 TV series. In the background you can see Diamond Head Crater, kind of a famous landmark here.

I rented a 400 sq ft space a couple blocks away. not much, will be tight, but should get the job done. Best part is I can walk to work and to my "shop"!

Thanks for the comments.

image.jpg

Day 1 pic the day the engine was dropped off

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comments!

Thanks for the vote of confidence! When do you get your kit?

In our building and surrounding condo's we have every exotic, Lambo's, Ferrari's, R8's, Bentley's, Porsche's, and a SLS. Hopefully I am successful and my 818 will stand out!

image.jpg
    Looking good, I like the detail. I'll be placing my order in Jan or Feb , hope their production is ramped up by then and the time to fill orders is shortened. Again welcome to the FFR ohana .

Post Thanks / Like
    I seriously can't believe that's the same engine. VERY good job, dude!

Post Thanks / Like
    I love Oahu. The best mix of tourist and non-tourist excursions if you're willing to explore. The real question is not where are you building the car, but where are you going to enjoy it on an island that you can drive entirely around in less than three hours. That's the one thing that I would miss if living there is the ability to go out and find a new curvy road to drive.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aloha818-

That engine is a work of art! Congratulations on the outstanding job cleaning her up and getting her all set to drop in.

I have always wanted to visit Hawaii, and spend some time just getting to know the area. I find it truly fascinating. Although I must say that if there are too many young ladies that look like your avatar, I am not sure I would ever leave!!

Best of luck with your build, and please keep us updated. I am very curious how you find your space, and whether or not you find it sufficient to get the work done.

Thanks for the posts.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    I seriously can't believe that's the same engine. VERY good job, dude!
    Thanks so much for the compliment! When its all done and buried under the body no one will be able to appreciate the effort. I will be getting custom fuel rails, braided fuel lines and upgraded fuel pressure regulator to keep it clean and interesting looking. My "getto" boost setup uses a fuel management unit to increase fuel pressure in relationship to boost. This and other "tricks" to keep the stock computer operating the engine without throwing codes.

I am trying to eliminate every ounce of uneeded material/wires/parts. I even took the time to cut off all unneeded bungs on the intake before I coated it with bedliner (to maintain textured look), silver metalic paint, and red topcoat.

image.jpg

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What dates do you want me to book? Pack a set of wheels, EMS, and your tuning gear. Give me a few days with the kit and I might add a couple more items!
    I think you'll need the kit to show up first
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D2W View Post
    I love Oahu. The best mix of tourist and non-tourist excursions if you're willing to explore. The real question is not where are you building the car, but where are you going to enjoy it on an island that you can drive entirely around in less than three hours. That's the one thing that I would miss if living there is the ability to go out and find a new curvy road to drive.
    Thanks for commenting!

We have been in Hawaii (between Oahu and Maui) for about 3 years. Although this island is only 112 miles around you would not be able to drive the circumference in 3 hours, my wife and I take day trips to various points of the island and spend more than 6 hours at time without even getting to other sections. If you know where to go there are roads you can drive fast (for short bursts), and many scenic, curvy roads, look up Tantalus. One of my co-workers lives at the top and bought a new 911 just to have fun back and forth to work! This island no longer has a race track, but they open up Aloha Stadium (where they play the Pro Bowl) for track days. And if you get bored, then for about $400 you can ship your car, round trip, to another island to explore. In my corner of the parking garage of my condo building there are 2 911's, a SLR AMG and a Ferrari, so even if we all can't go crazy driving for hours, we can stretch our legs now and then!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Aloha818-

That engine is a work of art! Congratulations on the outstanding job cleaning her up and getting her all set to drop in.

I have always wanted to visit Hawaii, and spend some time just getting to know the area. I find it truly fascinating. Although I must say that if there are too many young ladies that look like your avatar, I am not sure I would ever leave!!

Best of luck with your build, and please keep us updated. I am very curious how you find your space, and whether or not you find it sufficient to get the work done.

Thanks for the posts.

Regards,

Steve
    I really appreciate your comments and the compliment on the engine detail!

I love Hawaii, this is the second time work has brought me out here. Although I have worked on projects in all but 3 or 4 states, our residence has remained in Tennessee. I'm here this time till the middle of next year, maybe longer if I can stretch it out!

Yes, I'm concerned that I will have enough space to build/store through completion. I will update this info as well. I didn't read about anyone else's experience with space other than spreading everything out for receipt inventory. At least I have finished separating the donor parts and just have what I need taking up space.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    I think you'll need the kit to show up first
    Thanks for commenting, I have been following your build and enjoying learning from your experience. Keep up the good work!

I was updated on the shipping progress today, arrived yesterday into Longbeach, then will sail on the Manukai V. 140, the boats docks here 9/29. About a week longer than I had hoped for. I'm supposed to be able to track the ship, should be fun to see it in the middle of the Ocean!

Post Thanks / Like
    You should have no problems with 400 sq ft... The biggest space eater is where to put the body stuff while working on the rest...

The pieces are all light weight, you may want to build something to get them up overhead to keep them out of the way. I've been dioing work on a table under my 4 post lift... the body parts are on plywood across the lift.

Go Vertical! LOL

When you do an oil change do you worry about a sexual harassment suit? ;-)
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We live across the street from Ala Moana Park. The marina you see in the pic is behind the Ilikai, down the street a few blocks. This is the hotel/marina that you see in the original Hawaii 50 TV series. In the background you can see Diamond Head Crater, kind of a famous landmark here.

I rented a 400 sq ft space a couple blocks away. not much, will be tight, but should get the job done. Best part is I can walk to work and to my "shop"!

Thanks for the comments.

image.jpg

Day 1 pic the day the engine was dropped off
    My two car garage is just over 420 sf and I'm building a GTM in it. So you should be fine. Your body is a set of panels that should not consume much of your footage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    That Marina is also in the opening of Gilligans Island, when the SS Minnow is leaving Honolulu, right? But off to the right from that pic, off to unseen area, there is another, commercial marina, right? We did some SCUBA while there, and the boat went out a different marina than the one in your pic.

When I stayed I was at the Marriott at Waikiki. My expense report for the trip, lets just say it was more than the cost of 818 kit, less than the estimated cost to complete an 818. The SCUBA and other weekend excursions came out of my own pocket, so not even part of that total.

Post Thanks / Like

At Honolulu Port!!

Honolulu Freight called my today to tell me my 818 would be ready for pick up tomorrow. A week earlier than they had estimated.

Not bad shipping time, MA to HI in 2 weeks and 2 days!

I'll post pics and measure tomorrow as I unpack.

Here are some more parts bought, cleaned and painted while I was waiting;

image.jpg

I'm really excited about getting started! Thanks to all that have been posting their build updates, I think I have learned plenty to feel comfortable jumping right in!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That hula girl sure gets around.

Are you renting a forklift truck to move the crate into the garage or are you going to disassemble it on your trailer and unload piece by piece?

Post Thanks / Like
    That hula girl sure gets around.

Are you renting a forklift truck to move the crate into the garage or are you going to disassemble it on your trailer and unload piece by piece?
    Besides keeping a Hawaiian spirit to the build, my hula girl will help me keep up with which pics I took and the others I've saved for reference.

The company I'm working for here has a couple stake bed trucks/drivers, so one of them will pick-up the crate from the port and deliver to my rented garage, and there is a forklift close by that I can use to get it off the truck. Then I will break down the crate and roll/carry the 818 components into the garage.

I scheduled the truck/driver yesterday for today, so a few hours from now it will be build time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Right on! Best of Luck. Do you have a good powder coater out there? When I was living in Portland I actually found one of the best coaters was down at the shipyards.. they loved doing automotive side work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right on! Best of Luck. Do you have a good powder coater out there? When I was living in Portland I actually found one of the best coaters was down at the shipyards.. they loved doing automotive side work.
    I ordered my kit with the powder coat chassis. I have a local powder coater doing some work with me on the project I'm here supervising, and have talked to him about coating all the brackets. I'll have to ask him if he does work at the port.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast