Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray's hotrod

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ray's hotrod

Let me start with a little bit about me and my motivation to do this. Right up front I have no idea what I'm doing, which is exactly why I am doing it. I have spent the past 30 years building semiconductors (computer chips) and been living in the world of the ridiculously small. Any mechanical aptitude I might be able to muster will have to come from my early years as a process engineer when I spent a lot of time maintaing and repairing the equipment used in our factories to make silicon integrated circuits. I fell in love with cars (again) about 5 years ago as my kids were growing up and leaving home. I became a mustang guy when I found a red '01 cobra that I absolutely loved. I decided a few years ago that I would build a car in my garage (I must have been drinking). I finally pulled the trigger on the '33 late last summer. I have made a little progress and have spent a lot of time reading the manual and this forum. I have to admit that I am becoming a bit intimidated but I am nothing if not persistent. It may take me 5 years but I WILL get it done. I am looking forward to being part of this community and leveraging everyones wisdom to help me get through this. Wish me luck!!!!

P.S. I included a picture of my mustang for fun. My profile image is my other car a 2012 Boss 302 laguna seca. As you can tell I have a problem!

kit phase 1 boxes.jpgframe arrives.jpgframe powdercoated.jpgRoxanne3.1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    One other quick thing. Is it this frustrating for everyone to find so many parts on back order. There is a small buy key part missing from virtually every section, front end, rear end, pedal box... I get started, try to skip ahead only to find another backordered part. To early to start complaining I know. Just looking for sympathy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to seeing your progress. Ask as many questions as you can, I certainly have. It is truly an amazing forum with people full of information. Let me know if I can be of assistance to you.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Just keep working on something...even if things are on backorder..work on something else...there is always something to do. Also, if you have been waiting on things on backorder make sure you call them to get a status. They sure won't call you..I had to call for pretty much every part I had on backorder.

And, it doesn't matter how long you take. The journey is part of the fun

Post Thanks / Like
    I second the part about calling often. In fact, you better call FFR at least once a week. They will EVENTUALLY get everything to you - but you will get a lot of stories about parts being sent "probably early next week". Then, you will get exactly the same story the following week when they don't arrive at your house - "Yeah, they should go out early NEXT week." I am doing a relatively fast build (picked up my kit on September 8th and two months later I am at the go-cart stage), and it was only in the last two weeks or so that I ran out of things to do and the few remaining backordered parts really held me up. So, with a long build like you are planning, you shouldn't have too much of an issue. Just keep hammering away at your FFR rep (and Jessie in shipping). The build and the end product is worth it for sure. Have a great time! ERIC
    "If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the madness !!!

If there's anything we can do to help on your build, let me know. HAVE SOME FUN !!!!

Tim Whittaker
    Kootenai Valley Customs

kootenaivalleycustoms.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. Keep moving forward and your dream will come to life!
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    My kit was delivered almost a month ago, and I also had the same issue with a lot of "key" parts needed to build they way I had planned. Most of the parts did come rather quickly but I am still waiting on the last couple parts which I just received an email with a tracking# and should arrive next Tuesday! Finally!! These last parts are the clevis's needed to finish the front suspension. Like others have said, just keep moving along with anything and everything you can. The more you can do now why you wait, the less you will need to do later.

Like you, I am also new to the car building thing, but I must say their is a lot of help out there on these forums and great people willing to help and answer questions!

Good luck with your build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for the great responses and support. I'm told my last back order shipment is going out tomorrow. I look forward to talking to you all in the future and good luck with your projects too!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks! It's nice to see that I'm not the only "junior" member out there !

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am ready to throw down the bucks for a rear end. Any suggestions? I am looking at at ford racing 3.73 complete assembly. I have seen some suppliers that offer rear ends with the FFR 3 link upper control arm bracked welded to the axl. Is that worth the extra cost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    All the parts are here. I have the front end done except the spindles. I got some touch up paint made for me at Napa. Ford performance red. That is the color of my 2001 cobra mustang and it is the primary theme color for the car. The touch up paint will come in handy since it seems I can't help but ding my frame!
    WIN_20131114_194107.JPGWIN_20131126_203042.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice color Ray, get yourself some foam pipe insulation from your home improvement store and wrap all the chassis tubing to protect your frame during the build. Hopefully that will help limit the amount of touch up. Looking good bro.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!!! That is awesome dude. Great choice. I can't wait to watch this build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am seeing RED!!!!

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't want to hijack you thread, but that Performance Red is what I painted my '70 Mustang. I thought it had a little orange to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the purchase. As stated above you will get your backorders slowly but surely. I only got too far ahead in one area where I had to do some disassembly. The red looks great but you need to get a bunch of foam to protect it. Solving problems and overcoming issues is part of the satisfaction you get. Have fun and enjoy!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here is my inspiration...
    Roxanne3.1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I just received my 33 Hotrod a week ago, and I have not discovered any missing or back ordered parts. It would appear that FFR has solved any supply chain issues they may have had. I can imagine that bringing together 25 boxes of parts from multiple vendors would be a logistical challenge. At some point one of the outside vendors is going to create a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Andrew View Post
    I just received my 33 Hotrod a week ago, and I have not discovered any missing or back ordered parts. It would appear that FFR has solved any supply chain issues they may have had. I can imagine that bringing together 25 boxes of parts from multiple vendors would be a logistical challenge. At some point one of the outside vendors is going to create a problem.
    Wow! that is great! You are a lucky man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am finding that there are some miss-sized parts. Two of the grease fittings were too small ($4.00 later at Napa and that was fixed), the spacer that goes under the lower control arm castle nut is too thin (supposed to 0.25" it is maybe an eighth). They still owe me a clutch quadrant assembly. I get that it is probably a complex process put a car into a bunch of cardboard boxes and not miss a few things but it is a test of my patience.

On the castle nut. If I torqe to spec it is very unlikely that one of the slots in the nut will line up with the cotter pin hole. Since there is very little compression in the nut to ball joint interface, once you hit bottom that is it. If you back off to line the castle nut up with the hole the the nut is loose. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have/had the same problem Ray. I was told by another member to put a flat washer on top of the nut and then put the cotter pin through the hole. Seems kinda lame, defeats the purpose of the castle nut.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Evan! I need to ask another question that is probably pretty dumb but there will be NO way to torque the lower arm castle nut because once is hits bottom the ball joint post just spins in place! I assume the spindle should seat onto the shaft of the post but I cant seem to get it to do it on either side. Even with the help of my mallet it will not seat and the post just spins. help??

By the way...Happy Thanksgiving
    Last edited by rcotner; 11-28-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sachse Rod Shop in Sachse Texas has washers to fix your problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats strange, I can't remember if I had the same issue or not. Unfortunately I dont have a solution but I would love to know what the answer is. Hopefully some of these gurus can chime in and offer a solution. Sorry I'm not more help brother...and Happy Holidays to you and yours. Please keep me in the loop with this one.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes the spindle has a ridge inside the tapered hole and you need to make sure the surface smooth so it makes good contact and can get some traction. Might need to run a rat tail file through it to knock off any burrs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Arrowhead, I will give it a try. It is the lower control arms only and on both sides. Will give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Finally made some progress. Front end done. Brakes under way. Every time I turn around I need a new tool. I guess that is to be expected for a rookie.
    WIN_20131202_185626.JPGWIN_20131202_185604.JPGWIN_20131201_191211.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The Wilwoods are installed!
    WIN_20131205_201106.JPG

I have a question about the steering rack. The manual refers to a poly bushing and delrin spacer to attach the right side of the rack. I can't find these parts and they are not listed in my parts list or back order parts list. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated!!
    WIN_20131205_201209.JPGWIN_20131205_201327.JPG

The parts on my bench are what's left of my rack parts except for the rod ends and bearings.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont believe I have those parts. You should give Tony Zullo a call and describe the problem. I just spoke to him and found out that I have the wrong bracket, the one you are referring to. The rack was moving around up to 3/16" when you turn the wheel. You may have the updated bracket and it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for the manual to not reflect the change, I had this same issue with the new and improved clutch quadrant. Hope this helps.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Evan! I really appreciate your help! I will give him a call.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anytime!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rcotner View Post
    The Wilwoods are installed!
    WIN_20131205_201106.JPG

I have a question about the steering rack. The manual refers to a poly bushing and delrin spacer to attach the right side of the rack. I can't find these parts and they are not listed in my parts list or back order parts list. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated!!
    WIN_20131205_201209.JPGWIN_20131205_201327.JPG

The parts on my bench are what's left of my rack parts except for the rod ends and bearings.
    I had the same issue. I contacted FFR and the sent me over the updated instructions for the new steering rack. Here is the picture I sent to them which are the parts needed to mount the rack that you have pictured along with the hardware.

Here is the mount installed with the rack.

I hope this helps you. If you want to PM me with your email address, I can send you the updated instructions for the manual on the new steering rack.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I also had the new pieces. Just powdercoat them and install them. The rack is held completely rigid in place with them.
    "If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That is perfect!! Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I usually have only an hour or two here and there to work on my 33. I knew that is how it would be but I still wish I could spend a bit more time on it. So far I have the front end done, steering rack installed and the pedal box in. After I figure out how to mount the brake reservoir I will start bending brake lines.

break reservoir.jpgPedal box.jpgsteering rack.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Slow but steady wins the race, right... I am running the brake lines outside the frame like others. I don't want to re-plumb the brakes later so I would appreciate confirmation that this is still the right thing to do.

pedal box and FE.JPGpedal box.JPGmaster cylinders and reservoir.JPGbrake line 1.JPGbrake lines 2.JPGbrake lines fe T.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure your brake lines stay to the back side of the verticle tube going down the frame near the firewall area. Body may hit if too far to the front. See esff32's thread for pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Ray!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Firewall and steering column in. Quick question, how does one get the DD shaft through the firewall bearing?? It is not going to fit. It seems a bit weird to have to grind the shaft down but it may be the only way.

WIN_20131222_153932.JPGWIN_20131222_153911.JPGWIN_20131222_153843.JPG

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast