Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Quite possibly one of the youngest builders in here. Maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

Quite possibly one of the youngest builders in here. Maybe?

Hello, 'my name is Angel and I'm an Arizonian that has decided to try this build. At 20, I think it'd be quite the car to have. I'm not new to race-car builds since I started my road-race 5.0 when I was only 14. But now that the car runs well and I'm not willing to take it past being COMPLETELY uncomfortable on the street, I've decided to leave it. I was going to do a five-lug swap on it buuuut, eh.

Well, after seeing this on the speed channel, I decided to try the GTM on for size. My parents have been nagging me to get a more refined car (road-racing 5.0 mustang) for a while so I threw this idea at them and they've decided to at least help financially somewhat. But I've gotten quite a big tax return and some saving for now. THey are iffy on it though.

SO I've got quite a few questions. I work for O''Reilly autoparts and I get a great discount. So what parts would you guys recommend to just get new? And what exactly do I need from the corvette? Not the frame or anything, correct? A list with pictures would be nice. Also, has the transaxle problem been solved yet? Has the new one been released and how much does it cost?

I've got many more questions right now but my MIC class is starting so I'll update with more as I think of them. Right now I'm trying to work up a nice budget for now. Thank you in advance. Also anyone in AZ, if possible, I'd like to check out your GTM or if you could, help me anytime, I'd appreciate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Angel.

The first thing you should do is make sure that you will be able to get insurance for the car once it's built. Lots of insurance companies restrict the minimum age required to drive certain cars. I'm sure someone will chime in with some alternatives for that.

The second consideration is going to be your budget. It is quite common to see the most fiscally conservative numbers for a build starting at 40K and going up to 6 figures, depending on how you configure the car. For example, the Kit itself is 20K, a new Mendeola transmission (when they finally ship) will be 8k and a donor Corvette can be 10K (that's a guess). So right off the bat you are close to 40K with no options.

But I'd start with the insurance, unless you plan to take a while to finish the car. I believe the minimum age I've heard is 26 to get insurance.

Not trying to burst your bubble (AT ALL), but there is a lot of homework to do before diving in with a kit purchase, that's all.

Again, welcome to the forum! I hope this is the first day of a wonderful life experience for you!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

GTM Builder/Owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Angel,

If you intend this to be your daily driver once it is completed, then you should know that it sits low and isn't easy to get into some parking lots/driveways. Also, unless you go through the trouble of modifying the doors to add window frames, it is impossible to let the car sit in the rain (or wash it for that matter) without a fair amount of water leaking in. I love my GTM, but I would never consider making it my daily driver.

Where do you live? Try and contact a builder in your area to see one in person and see how you fit and maybe get a ride in one.

What is your height and weight? The GTM has plenty of leg room but it can be challenging to wear a helmet in the car (for track days, etc.) if you are over 6' tall.

The copper colored GTM that you just saw on Speed is mine.

Mike
    GTM #26
    Stock LS-6. PHII G50-50, Shane's Louvers, Nordskog Dash, Shaved Door Handles,
    David Borden's Aluminum Dash Cover for Nordskog Dash,
    Roll Bar Covers -- http://quickracingproducts.com/html/interior.html

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't need to be 25 to drive a corvette and most insurers probably won't understand what the car is so insurance will pro ably be Ok. The word Cobra sends out the alarms.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Before I took the plunge and ordered (still waiting for kit arrival) I read, sometimes twice/three times most of the threads on the other forum to fully understand what this build will be like and the challenges ahead. I even have made a binder of threads that are important and must DO's as I put it. There are definitly a few members that offer valuable parts to enhance the build and solve some issues while make the GTM a great car. My route was to buy donor parts first, bought my motor (new) and a few extras. The new parts I am buying are rotors/pads (still trying to decide on brand), poly bushings (ordered), rad (still not sure on brand), New engine wire harness, wheels/tires (this area can cost a lot more if your picky). As for the rest of the donor parts, I am cleaning them up.
    A big garage also helps with the build.

Good luck and do your homework first (not school) I mean research for the build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the quick replies! As for the daily driver thing, I live in sunny AZ so rain isn't too much of a worry. Though I'd like to have the cabin waterproof at the least. O.o The car will mostly be for just showing off and taking to track days. Though I will most likely drive it to work daily to make my coworkers more jealous than they already are of my 'stang. ;D As for time, I've got a 5 year limit on this, it'll be my graduation present of sorts. I will have to check on the insurance. Anyone here have USSAA that can chime in?

I'm only 5'11 and 150lbs so it shouldn't be that much more a tight fit than my fox, I hope. So far, from what I've seen, the tranny and kit are going to be my most expensive parts. Since I want AC and all the other little goodies, my kit is looking to be 26k. If need be, I'll be easily able to snag a 01-04 Corvette for around 5k (Mexican friends and them owning junkyards FTW)! Also, would you guys suggest going with the new tranny coming out or just do the porsche route? I have a friend that owns a porsche junkyard down in Phoenix but I just want input on what you guys think. Also, how long are most of you taking to put everything together? Does the Corvette frame get used at all? It's k-member?

Post Thanks / Like
    No Vette frame used at all.

Which transaxle to use? Well, that all depends on how much HP you are running, how hard you are on things while driving, and how much the Porsche box would cost you. If you are going to be anywhere near or over the 500 HP mark, then Mendeola for sure. If you drive the car hard...Mendeola. If you can get the Porsche trans the way you need it for a couple thousand, and the previous two comments don't apply, then go Porsche.

I noticed a while back on the other forum a preoccupation with "the youngest builder ever" thing and I don't get it. My 6 year old son helps me build my GTM and will undoubtedly be driving it as soon as he is able, so is HE really the youngest builder of a GTM? Maybe, maybe not, but young or old, one of the things I think that IS important is all of our love for this car. It's a pretty universal thing no matter what age or sex you happen to be.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj_Seph View Post
    And what exactly do I need from the corvette? Not the frame or anything, correct? A list with pictures would be nice.
    Hi DJ,

Here's a link to a the donor parts list on Factory Five's website with pictures. The guys have given you some great tips for what to consider before starting this project.
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, 'my name is Angel and I'm an Arizonian that has decided to try this build. At 20, I think it'd be quite the car to have. I'm not new to race-car builds since I started my road-race 5.0 when I was only 14. But now that the car runs well and I'm not willing to take it past being COMPLETELY uncomfortable on the street, I've decided to leave it. I was going to do a five-lug swap on it buuuut, eh.

Well, after seeing this on the speed channel, I decided to try the GTM on for size. My parents have been nagging me to get a more refined car (road-racing 5.0 mustang) for a while so I threw this idea at them and they've decided to at least help financially somewhat. But I've gotten quite a big tax return and some saving for now. THey are iffy on it though.

SO I've got quite a few questions. I work for O''Reilly autoparts and I get a great discount. So what parts would you guys recommend to just get new? And what exactly do I need from the corvette? Not the frame or anything, correct? A list with pictures would be nice. Also, has the transaxle problem been solved yet? Has the new one been released and how much does it cost?

I've got many more questions right now but my MIC class is starting so I'll update with more as I think of them. Right now I'm trying to work up a nice budget for now. Thank you in advance. Also anyone in AZ, if possible, I'd like to check out your GTM or if you could, help me anytime, I'd appreciate.
    Do you think your parents would be willing to adopt me?
    Christopher "BattleWagon" Mann
    From the planet Gallifrey
    #260 B/S 2006 STI

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for the quick replies! As for the daily driver thing, I live in sunny AZ so rain isn't too much of a worry. Though I'd like to have the cabin waterproof at the least. O.o The car will mostly be for just showing off and taking to track days. Though I will most likely drive it to work daily to make my coworkers more jealous than they already are of my 'stang. ;D As for time, I've got a 5 year limit on this, it'll be my graduation present of sorts. I will have to check on the insurance. Anyone here have USSAA that can chime in?

I'm only 5'11 and 150lbs so it shouldn't be that much more a tight fit than my fox, I hope. So far, from what I've seen, the tranny and kit are going to be my most expensive parts. Since I want AC and all the other little goodies, my kit is looking to be 26k. If need be, I'll be easily able to snag a 01-04 Corvette for around 5k (Mexican friends and them owning junkyards FTW)! Also, would you guys suggest going with the new tranny coming out or just do the porsche route? I have a friend that owns a porsche junkyard down in Phoenix but I just want input on what you guys think. Also, how long are most of you taking to put everything together? Does the Corvette frame get used at all? It's k-member?
    I first saw the GTM on HorsePower. Next I opened FFR site searched for any GTM information I could find. After ordering the info DVD package and studying the forum I ordered the Electronic version of the Manual. This should be your next step. Its the best $9.99 you spend at this point. You can use the manual and the forum to KNOW if this build is for you. Next I made contact with a GTM owner who allowed me to not only stare at his GTM and ask 2748 questions, but also took me for a spirited ride. http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249586 This will let you know if you like and can deal with your fit. Like Dave said; there's good leg room but the head room(stock seats) will be limited. The car only stands around 42" from the ground...

This Forum is building but the main resourse is the FFcars forum http://www.ffcars.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11 . There are "stickys" and the search tool will get you all the answers to most any question. If you can't find the answer then ask. I've made some friends and find all of the members to be great people.

USAA is an outstanding company. I've been with them for almost 11 years and have my home/auto insurance and mortgage with them. You'll need to have an affiliation with the Military or Federal Service (family counts) to get membership with them. I plan to use them to insure my GTM. Can't say what it will cost, but I expect it to be extremely reasonable. Welcome and good luck.

R/s
    Vidal
    Last edited by VD2021; 03-29-2011 at 08:19 PM.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome

Like to add to all of the great advice that has been given so far.

Sit down and develop a primary build plan, listing all of the parameters that your trying to achieve.

Then develop a detailed build/project plan, In line item detail, and make a promise to yourself to stick to it no matter what, builds like these have tenacities to run wild before you know it. That way you are in control of the progress and cost, and I think your parents would really appreciate that, since their money will be involved also.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project.

BTW I almost forgot you have to keep us updated and you have to post pictures/video during your build process, forum members have this saying that they live by……”No Pictures or Video It Didn’t Happen”

Ron
    Last edited by Presto51; 03-29-2011 at 06:20 AM.
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    No idea how insurance works in AZ, but up here to insure specialty/kit vehicles you had to be at least 26. They let me squeek by at 25 though since I already had 4 vehicle and a property insured w/ them.
    FFR cobra
    RCR Superlite
    RCR 917
    04 Cobra/Z06/Diablo/bunch of other junk

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. Seems I will be ordering that DVD. Anyone here with a GTM in AZ? I do definitely have a ton of questions. As for ride height, I'm accustomed to it. My family does build low riders. I have a ranger that pretty much scraps the ground.

@Crobin: They will but you have to be quite extraordinary. If you can make a 4.00GPA in TWO medical majors and still work full time and then still have time to somehow cook dinner and upkeep the house, then yes, they will.lol

Also seems I'll have to forget about the Porsche transaxle then. I want this car as strong as possible. My dad and I put all cars we build through a serious, serious torture test. My mustang has seen numerous launches from 4k rpms, overheatings, head gaskets and the like. Still runs like a champ with almost 250k very very hard miles since it was rebuilt. Hope the LS2 can take a beating like the old 5.0 can. It will be driven hard it's whole life.

Also, I've been reading. Is there fitment issues with panels? Should I wait a little while for Factory Five to work out the bugs. Like I said, I'm in no rush, just want to be done before graduation(Will have MD in four years). Things will be going very slowly since while researching this, I'll be fixing up two low riders for selling and an 00 diesel Excursion for me to tool around in.

Thank you for everything guys. Seems research and more research for me now. Hopefully if things go very well, a build thread should start early 2012. Just need to slowly gather new parts from my job that I can. Plus, if you guys need parts, feel free to hit me up. I get them for practically list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Also, I've been reading. Is there fitment issues with panels? Should I wait a little while for Factory Five to work out the bugs.
    D,
    FFR has been updating the kit continuously and put all of their latest updates and more into the Gen2. There are no Gen2s compete that I know of, but from current progress reports (Gen2 builders well ahead of me) the fitment issues are not there. Only time will tell what is still an issue. With the Gen2 realeased after last summer's open house I don't think FFR will be making changes significant enough for you to hold on starting a build. There's been rumor that at some point in the future FFR will discontinue production of the GTM. Keeping it Unique and rare, but that's just an old rumor.....

R/s
    Vidal
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, they can stop production after I purchase mine this Dec. But thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    The official statement made originally by FFR was 500 kits, but they also said they were thinking about only selling kits to those that had built a previous FFR product, and that didn't happen. Getting pretty close to that number of kits being "out there", but with the introduction of the Gen II car, I have to think that they will continue to sell these long after kit #500. Just a guess on my part though.

If they DO stop selling these at some point soon, I guess I will regret cutting my body up to modify it.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    If they DO stop selling these at some point soon, I guess I will regret cutting my body up to modify it.
    I think they'll keep selling them as long as people will keep buying them at a price at which FFR makes money. . . . . . but. . . . . . gauging the volume of messages regarding the 818 on the FFR forum, coupled with Dave's provocative leaks about his plans, could leave a person with the impression that every model FF has been selling is about to be rendered irrelevant. Maybe not the volume leading roadster, but everything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm willing to take on any 818 with my humble little GTM-R anyday!

On the track of course.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Crash,

I should clarify. . .from a manufacturing resource allocation and sales perspective, the 818 MIGHT. . . . MIGHT. . . . render all other FFR models irrelevant. I wasn't making a vehicle performance prognostication. However, it seems like there are several folks itching to put 400-500hp engines in this yet to be released 818kg car.

When do we get to see pictures of YOUR GTM-R? I'm imagining something quite stunning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Artgirl...two words...Body Work.

With the emphasis on WORK!

Not much to see at this point.

Did I happen to mention that I am becoming quite the wood worker!
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Angel, I am also in Arizona and we are building two gen1 gtms if you would like to come by and take a look at we are doing to them let me know. We are in the El Mirage area..

Post Thanks / Like
    Wait, El Mirage?! Seriously?! Where at? I'd love to see them. I live in that area as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are at Olive and Dysert. South of Olive the shop is Hoots rod and customs I will be there after 6 tonight or you can call me at 623 521 3366

Post Thanks / Like
    OH! So you're near Paul who owns A-Z transmission. You may have seen my fox then. Black with red strips. Are you in the same little area as A-Z or further down? That works perfect for me since I get off school around that time. I'll be there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there Angel,

I would not be so quick to rule out the Porsche transaxle options. If you would like to ensure that you have basically a bullet proof gearbox, there are a couple for consideration. I would recommend that you take a look at the 997 turbo gearbox, as it is very well refined and offers a ton of strength and durability. Cost at the end of the day is going to be fairly similar to the Mendeola options, and there are some pretty nice features that the Porsche offers, as well, regarding gearing, and LSD options.

Mendeola certainly builds a good gearbox, and I am looking forward to hearing how they run in and perform. Another option that you may wish to consider would be a Ricardo gearbox out of the Ford. They are very big, fairly heavy, and require a bit of reworking to utilize, but they also have a ton of strength.

Let me know if I can be of any help to you, and welcome to the family.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
    Last edited by David Hodgkins; 03-31-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: removed business phone of non-vendor

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm new here but have been around other automotive forums for years and the above advice is some of the best and most solid advice I have ever seen from a group to someone thinking about building any car or other vehicle.

I have to agree that the first step is buying a copy of the instruction DVD along with saving and printing out a copy of the needed items off a doner vehicle.
    The second step is studying every build thread on both forums to learn what the other guys have run into along the way.
    Then saving an album of photos of both the things you like and would like to incorporate and the things that may not spin your wheels that others did so you don't do something that you didn't care for in the first place.
    As far as doner car, unless you intend to buy a new crate engine you will have to pick a doner car with the engine you want to run. That means that you will probably have to have one of your friends with a wrecking yard or rebuild shop watching the auctions for the right doner car. That means one that that has the parts you do need on it in decent shape so you don't have to buy a number of them from another source. The perfect doner would be one that someone's wife took a sledge hammer to when she caught him with his hottie girlfriend in it. Body damage but no mechanical damage. Or have a friend with car lot who will work with you find a proper doner at the used car auction that you can pull the needed parts from and then sell the leftovers and recover a decent portion of the cost. I would think that is what a lot of the guys have actually done in the past but haven't read too many build threads yet.
    The main thing is to form a solid plan and stick to the plan. Don't go away from that plan and I'd suggest not buying things like aftermarket wheels and tires until you are actually ready to put the car on the street. If the doner car comes with usable wheels and tires, those will hold it up all through the build and not be obsolete when the car is ready to put on the street. I know one guy right now who has enough high dollar wheels and tires stacked in the garage that he isn't using on his custom truck that he could easily buy a nice doner car for one of the GTM's. He had bought his third set (22's) before he even drove the truck around the block. A lot of money sitting there that is only worth a portion of what he spent at the time. But I can't give him too hard of a time as I have three storage sheds full of a 40 year accumulation of parts that were bought for or left over from projects an not used or sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Dave46 and Erik. Thanks to hootsrandc above, I have a better understanding of this car. The body was a little iffy from what I could see but it definitely seemed like it was liveable. Have the GEN 2's fixed that window problem? It was quite scary looking in the Gen 1's...

Also, Erik, does the 997 option require any modifications? I plan for this to be stock for a few years buuut, in the end it will be 650hp+ and I'd hate to have to buy another transmission down the line. Any experience on how they hold up? Also, thanks again to hootsrandc, I found all the parts I'd need save for the engine on the local craigslist for AZ. Now it just goes to see if I can scrap together 4k before he sells it all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there Angel,

We have utilized the Porsche gearbox in applications far exceeding what you are talking about with very good success. I do not anticipate any issues at all for what you have in mind. In terms of modifications to utilize this gearbox, you will have to have it set up to run inverted, I recommend oil cooler in and out port be installed, (which is a good idea for protection of the internals), and a slave cylinder port modification will need to be done. All of which are rather simple and could certainly be accomplished by yourself, with a bit of instruction. I would be happy to assist you with that if you would like, or depending on where you get it from these modifications can be done prior to delivery to you.

As I mentioned earlier, there are a lot of good options for transaxles. While I realize that everyone has their personal preference, I would continue to do a bit of research and weigh out the pro's and con's for yourself. Please let me know if you have any questions that I can help you with. That is after all what we are all here for.

Erik Johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a good setup. I'd rather have something that has success. I decided to check out a 997 and I love the way it shifts so this might be the way to go. About how much do you suppose I could get a used one for? I'm seeing some pretty insane prices down here in AZ. x.x