Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Just looking at that:

18x9.5 + 45 Rear (with 13mm spacers) on Federal 595 RS-R 265/35/18 Rear

That is extreme, worst than me. loll I "only" got 18x9.5 +35 on 265/35s. So it fits well on yours?
    How is that "extreme" or worse than you? Effectively, we're only 3mm apart...

Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Guys, Jerome does beautiful work! I stopped by his house on Sunday and admired his nearly-finished 818. Up close it's much better than these photos - shifter, wheels, engine, brakes, seats, body panels, shifter (again), are all beautiful. And, the sound is a very cool deep tone with an equal-length header, though loud without the 3" cat and muffler he will add. It was delivered less than two months ago and he's got a full-time job! Amazing!
    Congrats, Jerome. And thanks!
    Thanks, Pete! And thanks again for the beer!

Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    What is fathead going to be doing?
    Oh, just some usual stuff:
    Exhaust - Vibrant muffler and Vibrant cat (v-band and removable)
    Mounting for the AWIC, reservoir, and heat exchanger
    Intercooler piping
    Lap belt anchors
    Extending the intake to behind the passenger side lower opening
    Upper radiator mounts
    Making new u-joint contraption to take 3" out of the steering column
    And some brackets here and there
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
    How is that "extreme" or worse than you? Effectively, we're only 3mm apart...
    Based on what Erik said about his setup which he qualified of "pushing the limits" to see what it can take. After reading many builds, fittings and etc., it seems like 9.5 +35 and 265s are close to the max possible to fit without modifications or rubbing somewhere. I thought it was risky for me to go with that setup. If you made it with 3mm more, then great, it really seems to mean it can fit without problem.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Guys, Jerome does beautiful work! I stopped by his house on Sunday and admired his nearly-finished 818. Up close it's much better than these photos - shifter, wheels, engine, brakes, seats, body panels, shifter (again), are all beautiful. And, the sound is a very cool deep tone with an equal-length header, though loud without the 3" cat and muffler he will add. It was delivered less than two months ago and he's got a full-time job! Amazing!
    Congrats, Jerome. And thanks!
    jealous... :-) Don't I wish I was in Arizona! Maine is damn cold this time of year!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't see in your thread what eql header did you use? Excellent build. Also you stated your busing an awic similar to Wayne's is it the same core style like his or different style.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    18x9 +42 with 3mm spacer is pretty close. 255 35 18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Didn't see in your thread what eql header did you use? Excellent build. Also you stated your busing an awic similar to Wayne's is it the same core style like his or different style.
    OEM JDM twin scroll VF37 setup.

The core looks to be the same type/style as Wayne and Erik's.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I'm a little upset today... After I was told on 23 December that "The Carbon Fiber Parts are being made as we speak and can be sent out by the beginning of next week", I got an email today stating "it is going to be approx. another 2 months before we see the new autoclaved carbon pieces"... I paid in full on 22 October and I know that I've seen kits that have shipped out AFTER mine was received, and they've already received their carbon pieces... I understand FFR trying to save some shipping costs, but at the expense of 2 months of another builder? Come on... I was also told last week (8 January) that "we just received the new 1 piece caps yesterday"... However, they still haven't shipped mine yet... I also have not received my coolant tube adapters. But fortunately, AZPete loaned me his... But I still owe him a set...

Does FFR even track the back ordered parts? Or is it up to the customer to nag them until they ship them? I'm starting to get a little perturbed...
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I'm a little upset today... After I was told on 23 December that "The Carbon Fiber Parts are being made as we speak and can be sent out by the beginning of next week", I got an email today stating "it is going to be approx. another 2 months before we see the new autoclaved carbon pieces"... I paid in full on 22 October and I know that I've seen kits that have shipped out AFTER mine was received, and they've already received their carbon pieces... I understand FFR trying to save some shipping costs, but at the expense of 2 months of another builder? Come on... I was also told last week (8 January) that "we just received the new 1 piece caps yesterday"... However, they still haven't shipped mine yet... I also have not received my coolant tube adapters. But fortunately, AZPete loaned me his... But I still owe him a set...

Does FFR even track the back ordered parts? Or is it up to the customer to nag them until they ship them? I'm starting to get a little perturbed...
    It’s definitely a frustration that I didn't expect when I ordered my kit from FFR and it's usually the first thing I mention when someone asks me about my experience. I'm still waiting on my radiator hose adapters after 8 weeks! I was told on the 10th that they were still on order and they hoped to have them in a few more weeks. I would have my motor running two weeks ago if I had them.

You will definitely have to call and pester Factory Five to get you back ordered parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waruaki View Post
    It’s definitely a frustration that I didn't expect when I ordered my kit from FFR and it's usually the first thing I mention when someone asks me about my experience. I'm still waiting on my radiator hose adapters after 8 weeks! I was told on the 10th that they were still on order and they hoped to have them in a few more weeks. I would have my motor running two weeks ago if I had them.

You will definitely have to call and pester Factory Five to get you back ordered parts.
    If I were you, I would go ahead and order them from SpeedwayMotors. They're only $5 each and you really only need four of them. I would have done that, had AZPete not helped me out.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Hose-A...tlet,2494.html
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed the link for them in one of your post's a while back and have been debating it. Had I not been tied up the last few weeks tweaking the steering wheel and building a fuel tank for my car I probably would have.

818 Builder
    Post Thanks / Like

Feel your pain. While we haven't been waiting for 2 months yet, we have been waiting over a month and still don't have some of the basic parts like the fuel tank and front springs (and 6 others including the carbon fiber parts). It is aggravating to see new posts including photos of parts that have been back ordered on your kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recommend you keep on top of it. Ive received back ordered parts and the list with it showed other items no longer back ordered that hadn't shipped (my carbon fiber). I had to remind them and when other kits starting shipping remind them again. I just got my diffuser fins this week after inquiring again. Took a couple emails to get my fuel filler tube. Usually when I see someone with a new kit post up with parts i was missing I'd email joe and ask to have mine shipped too.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I recommend you keep on top of it. Ive received back ordered parts and the list with it showed other items no longer back ordered that hadn't shipped (my carbon fiber). I had to remind them and when other kits starting shipping remind them again. I just got my diffuser fins this week after inquiring again. Took a couple emails to get my fuel filler tube. Usually when I see someone with a new kit post up with parts i was missing I'd email joe and ask to have mine shipped too.
    But, am I wrong in thinking that the CUSTOMER shouldn't be the ONLY one tracking what's due to them?
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well I returned my fuel tank to FFR, since I installed a Boyd, so at least one builder will get a b-o'ed tank!

Post Thanks / Like
    But, am I wrong in thinking that the CUSTOMER shouldn't be the ONLY one tracking what's due to them?
    Jerome, You are absolutely correct, the factory should keep the BO list. FFR does, but they don't seem to keep the customer update on what is on it.

I got both updated parts and backordered parts with no paperwork in the box.
    I called Jessie in shipping. She sent me a copy of what was owed to me. I compared that to my list and had FFR make correction.
    I inventoried my kit the day it arrived. I sent the list to FFR. That list got lost.
    FFR was very quick to get the list straighten out.

On Back ordered parts, FFR tries to wait until the have everything to ship at once to save on shipping cost. I would do that also but FFR should keep you informed.

If there is a part holding you up. You should call and have that ship ASAP. Also get them to send you a BO list.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    No, you're not. I was just saying make sure you keep tabs too. I didn't hound them, but was polite and made sure I kept on top of things instead of just waiting for parts to show up.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry. I didn't mean for that to come across as me yelling at you...
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Talk to joe Scott and go over a punch lost of what you need and see if it matches what he has on his list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry. I didn't mean for that to come across as me yelling at you...
    I didn't take it that way. Just wanted to say I agreed with you but make sure you CYA and don't get caught with your pants down.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    OK. I just got off the phone with Jay a few minutes ago. He said he would get with the local guy that makes the hand formed CF pieces and get him to make the race splitter and rear diffuser for me (instead of waiting 2 months on the new autoclaved pieces). He said they would need to make them of course, but should be able to ship them out in a couple of weeks. He also stated that he would get with shipping (can't remember her name) and get my fuel cap shipped out. I just got an email with tracking info for the fuel cap and received another call from Jay stating that the guy who made the CF pieces was actually there dropping off some pieces and that mine will be shipping out no later than Wednesday! Yeah buddy!

He also mentioned that they've been waiting on the radiator adapter pieces for quite some time. I mentioned to him that Speedway Motors has them and said they'd look into it.

All is good.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That's great, see just a single call and your all set

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great progress, when does she get dyno tuned?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be out of town for a few weeks in February. So, it'll probably be towards the end of February... :-/
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Would i be able to pull off the same tire/wheel setup if i didn't replace my wheel studs?

Amazing build time Jerome

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!

With the factory studs, there isn't enough thread to allow for spacers. The rears will not clear without spacers.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    With the factory studs, there isn't enough thread to allow for spacers. The rears will not clear without spacers.
    That may depend of the offset and tire width, no?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    That may depend of the offset and tire width, no?
    Yes. But he asked about the same wheel/tire setup specifically. If you could get the setup of 17x8 +35 front and 18x9.5 +32 with 235/40/17 and 265/35/18, sure it would work without spacers and with factory studs.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Indeed, I want to do exactly what he did, IMO the rear of this car is setup perfect. I am really looking forward to seeing the front end buttoned up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jerome, do you have any cable stoppers along with your K-Tuned shifter? I can't figure out how that works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMuVSUqdbdQ

8mins08s

I know it's not the same shifter, maybe that's why.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Jerome, do you have any cable stoppers along with your K-Tuned shifter? I can't figure out how that works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMuVSUqdbdQ

8mins08s

I know it's not the same shifter, maybe that's why.
    I believe Wayne already answered your question in another thread. He said you won't need them.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What's up Jerome. I am about to order my wheels and I wanted to double check before doing so. I really like your setup but didn't want to run into too many issues to achieve it.
    Bottom line is if you could reorder would you go with the same size wheels & tires or pull it back some?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's really hard for me to answer that question at this point in my build. I haven't worked on the car in around a month (at the fabricator, now I'm out of town). I do not have all of the trim panels, etc. installed yet. I THINK everything is going to workout... But, as it sits now, the front tires do rub on the outside corner of the firewall on each side (I think I have a solution for this). I haven't driven the car with the fenders installed, so I don't know if they'll rub those, either.

Initially, I was going to order 215/40/17 and 255/35/18, but the 215/40/17 was on backorder with no due date. That's why I ended up going with the 235/40/17 and 265/35/18.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright guys. I know it's been a while (car was at the fabricator's for two weeks followed by me going out of town for two weeks). So, I don't really have a lot to update. I've also been getting super flustered with fitting the front body panels. The area where the bumper, fenders, hood, and headlights meet are not playing nice and/or I have no idea what I'm doing... I may have to call in some favors from some friends...

As far as actual updates go, here's what I have:

Exhaust fabricated by Junior @ Fathead Fabrications. It uses the dump pipe from Kinugawa for the twin scroll VF37. He mated that to a Vibrant 3" muffler. In between, you'll see a removable catalytic converter on v-band clamps. I also have a test pipe that can go in its place.

He also mounted my air to water intercooler and made my intercooler pipes:

Annnnddd make a custom intake to go behind the larger fender scoop on the passenger side:

I've also mounted the awic heat exchanger, reservoir, and Bosch pump:

Annnd all of my lights are wired and functional.

Sneak peak of my dash:

818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh that dash.

Exact model again? AIM MXL Strada right? Lower right corner.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh that dash.

Exact model again? AIM MXL Strada right? Lower right corner.
    It's actually the MXL Pista.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looking good, so I guess you got the lights to fit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    Looking good, so I guess you got the lights to fit?
    Haha. Not really. I just replied to your email.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Me like-e what you're doing. Looks semi-racy. Get off the fence bro. ("I also have a test pipe that can go in its place.") What's that plug for on the outlet of the turbine? For sampling secret sauce?
    My dash will be nearly the same.
    Some good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    ("I also have a test pipe that can go in its place.") What's that plug for on the outlet of the turbine?
    Haha. The main reason for the cat is for registration purposes. That, and I may just leave it in because this thing is CRAZY loud... Haha

The plug is where the sensor for my Innovate LC-1 will go.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast