FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 33 Hotrod Coyote Air Conditioning

Post Thanks / Like

33 Hotrod Coyote Air Conditioning

Has anyone built a 33 with a Coyote engine, and installed air conditioning? If so, did the compressor mount in the stock location, lower right side of the block, or did you have to use an aftermarket accessory drive kit? If you used the stock mounting point, is there any trick to making the idler work? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am doing just what you are. The stock compressor fits fine with a small modification. There is a boss that needs to be cut off the compressor. It will be obvious when you try to mount it. It fits perfect otherwise. The belt tensioner is not needed. Just use the stretchy belt that Ford uses on the mustang
    Now for the bad news. I have not been able to find adapters that will fit the Coyote compressor and attach to the Vintage air hoses. I have turned the world upside down looking for these. If anyone has a source I would be very grateful.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike. I'll ask an AC tech that I know. Did you talk to Vintage Air? I have met some of their people at car shows, and they are really sharp and really helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    One alternative would be to use a VA compressor and sell the stock one. Or, if you are also going with power steering you could use this:

http://www.vintageair.com/cyotfrntrnnr.asp

A bit pricey, but am using it with Whitby's VA AC/heater unit and it fits/looks great. I'm not on the road yet, but others have vouched for it.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    A bit pricey is an understatement.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    What about if you got a used set of mustang hoses and then welded on the fitting you needed? We did that on a 4.6 out of a 2008 mustang when using stock compressor. I know vintage air makes an adapter for that ford compressor.

http://www.vintageair.com/2013catalo...ebpgs%2070.pdf
    Last edited by 48prerunner; 12-05-2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: add link

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are the adapters I bought. They are too small. Perfect otherwise.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Little off topic but Any difference between a mustang 5.0 coyote ac compressor and a f-150 5.0 coyote ac compressor ? they have a different part number but what would be different?

here is a link to welding on adapters http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/10..._ac_tubes.html

ac.JPGac 2.JPG
    Last edited by 48prerunner; 12-06-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm doing A/C on my coyote in a Hot Rod, I have mastered getting the belt on using a zip, this belt has no tensioner it is a stretch fit. Let me know if you need help to get the belt on. Next is connectors, I live just south of Fort Worth , TX and have been referred to s shop that will build the connectors needed for this Mustang style compressor. I will post here when I have the task completed, which should be within the next couple of weeks. Here are a couple of shots.DSCN0587.JPGDSCN0589.JPG The second shot shows the amount of the metal removed to clear the suspension pivot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry the muffler picture was a mistake here is the correct photo. Also you can see the connectors are different from the Ford Uni-block type used on the modular motors, Vintage air can supply those but have no suggestions for the new compressor for the Coyote.
    DSCN0557.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Don. I just read either here or on the other forum that someone found adapters for the Coyote compressor. I cannot seem to find it though.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have a coyote in a 33hot rod .i used the mustang compressor and ventage air ac unit. ventageair was no help! no time to talk. they would sell me a 2000$ pulley kit with a p.s. bracket or nothing. I went to a a.c. shop and they welded a fitting that would fit the ford compressor to the ventageair hose with the charging ports. all was good .I gave them $20.00 and went home.it seamed to be no big deal to them but it was to ME.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I have found a shop in Fort Worth that will do the same for me!

Post Thanks / Like
    DaleG. The Vintage Air Frontrunner will not work on the '33. The compressor will fit, but one of the ports is right under an upper control arm bracket and there is no apparent way to get the fitting on.

Also, just for general knowledge, the VA Coyote "Frontrunner" system will NOT work on an "Aluminator" version of the Coyote because some of the cast bosses on the front cover of the engine used to fasten a bracket of the kit, are milled away at the factory to facilitate the installation of a supercharger.

donshapansky and 77233349975. What parts did you use to make the adaptation to the ports on the stock Ford compressor?

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Bruce, good to know; was unaware of both issues. Thanks.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Post Thanks / Like
    DaleG, You are absolutely right about the "Frontrunner" kit fitting and looking great though! I was going to use the power steering pump to provide power for a "Hydraboost" power brake system on my '33. Anybody need a "Hydraboost" system for their project?
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered the 2 hoses used on my 2013 Mustang Boss 302, then I cut the pipes to fit partly through so I could make the bends needed now I'm headed to a shop in Fort Worth to get them welded plus I'm relocating the binary/trinary switch and charge fittings to where I want them. I bought my own crimping tool to make the hoses myself. When I'm done I'll post a few shots.

Post Thanks / Like
    donshapansky, Thanks for the reply. I also bought my own crimping tool to make up the interior hoses. Will be looking forward to your posts. Thanks again.
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BASmith View Post
    DaleG, You are absolutely right about the "Frontrunner" kit fitting and looking great though! I was going to use the power steering pump to provide power for a "Hydraboost" power brake system on my '33. Anybody need a "Hydraboost" system for their project?
    Bruce
    If you want to use the factory AC compressor and still have power steering (without the Frontrunner setup) take a look at KRC Power Steering. Their power steering setup is above the factory AC compressor location and runs off of the water pump pulley. I just finishing the install on my Coyote in a MKIV. Only thing that is a little bit of a challenge is that since the pump is high and gravity fed, the reservoir also has to be up high. Came out good though. It is popular with the Fox swap crowd as they can retain all the factory stuff including AC when they get the motor as a unit as a wreaked dropout.

From the top:
    IMG_2098-1.jpg
    From the bottom:
    IMG_2100-1.jpg
    Reservoir tank:
    IMG_2097-1.jpg

Kevin
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    bansheekev, Thanks for the info. However, that spot is right about where the alternator mounts in the '33 Coyote install. The factory location for the alternator on the Coyote engine is too crowded with steering shaft support bearings and/or electric power steering motor to fit the alternator in. It's disappointing how much cool stuff is out there for the Coyote that can't be used on the '33 because of the "narrowed at the front" chassis design. You cobra guys have it sooo easy!!! LOL.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh well, figured it was worth sharing. I don't envy you guys as this thing is crammed in there even in my MKIV. I am officially out of space under the hood. At least you can go without a hood I guess.

Kevin

bansheekev, Thanks for the info. However, that spot is right about where the alternator mounts in the '33 Coyote install. The factory location for the alternator on the Coyote engine is too crowded with steering shaft support bearings and/or electric power steering motor to fit the alternator in. It's disappointing how much cool stuff is out there for the Coyote that can't be used on the '33 because of the "narrowed at the front" chassis design. You cobra guys have it sooo easy!!! LOL.

Bruce
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheekev View Post
    Oh well, figured it was worth sharing. I don't envy you guys as this thing is crammed in there even in my MKIV. I am officially out of space under the hood. At least you can go without a hood I guess.

Kevin
    How am I supposed to get under there to adjust the hood hinges? Battery box on one side, ABS module on the other, and overflow tank in the center.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleG View Post
    How am I supposed to get under there to adjust the hood hinges? Battery box on one side, ABS module on the other, and overflow tank in the center.
    I was asking my self the same thing last night...

IMG_2106-1.jpg

Kevin
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah! The point where engineering and reality meet; within the overcrowded confines of an engine compartment!!!
    DaleG: You just pull the engine and come up from underneath! Piece of cake!
    bansheekev! Nice looking install! As for the hood hinge adjustment dilemma, see the above obvious answer.
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah! The point where engineering and reality meet; within the overcrowded confines of an engine compartment!!!
    bansheekev! Nice looking install! As for the hood hinge adjustment dilemma, see the above obvious answer.
    Bruce
    Oh, of course, Bruce. Couldn't see the forest for the trees!

Although, it just may come to that.

Cheers, Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    I see one of three options:

1) Crazy combination of 2 foot socket extension, universals, and maybe even crow's feet plus some choice words
    2) Send my 6 year old daughter under there to do it (don't tell mom)
    3) Outsource (calling Da Bat!)

Yep, option 3

Kevin

Bruce
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    DaleG, Let's hope it doesn't come to that!
    bansheekev, If you go with option 1, please post pictures and/or video with sound! I'm positive there must be other Cobra builders awaiting your solution, who will also need to know the correct combination of magic words to make it all happen!
    Good luck guys!
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Thinking #3 is a good choice if Jeff comes back my way sometime, but I'll give it a try first.

Just went out and had a hard look; not sure how it will actually be with the body on, but I may have a fair shot at the PS, and maybe the DS also if I take off the air intake. Just depends...we'll see

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    donshapansky, 77233349975, Any more info, or pics on which parts and adapters/fittings you used to complete your air cond. system?
    Thanks.
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    pictures of the small manifolds and fittings that
    seanhylandmotorsport have for the AC compressors, basically,
    they have a small aluminum part that is machined, and bolts into those fittings
    areas on the compressor. Then, they thread them internally, and have a fitting
    that is a male-male fitting that has the correct -8 and -10 fittings to mate to
    AC lines.picture of the AC fittings that I have been talking about.
    The front side "manifold" has a plug in it currently, and the back one has the
    threaded part in it that allows you to hook up a conventional AC fitting

I think I'm going to use their power steering as it runs off the crank pulley and the ac compressor.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK I got the fittings modified I bought from Ford to fit the Coyote compressor, I bought a crimping tool and here are some photos as of tonight.
    Cabin Exit to engine.JPGCondensor Fittings.JPGCoyote fittings mod.JPGDryer with Trinary switch fitting.JPGFirewall exit.JPGFord Coyote Fittings modified.JPGKinkiest Hose.JPG
    My Fort Worth guy couldn't do the welding but he had a few fittings I needed. Then back to my welding shop who sent the fittings to a friend who managed make the perfect angles and the fittings arrived on my desk in 2 days no charge. We do a lot business with them but I was woo hoo! So tonight in about 3 hours it's done as far as fittings now to finish up the electrical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgot to mention nothing sticks outside the frame rails, which was big concern now I have to do some wrapping, especially the heater hoses are within an inch of the exhaust header for about an inch (90 elbow).

Post Thanks / Like
    48prerunner, Thanks for the response and info. Much appreciated!

donshapansky, Thanks for your info as well! One question though. Is there a specific reason for the "S" bend rather than an angled solid or flexible line?

Thanks guys!

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to stay away from the headers as far as possible, I had a hard time getting the hose through the frame and up above it without kinks and I didn't know about a fitting option like 48prerunner has shown.

Post Thanks / Like
    donshapansky, Thanks again for the additional explanation and info and, though I forgot to mention earlier, the great detailed photos! Oh, I almost forgot! What's the story on using a "zip" to get the belt on? You are a declared "master" at getting the belt on(and off?)! I know I, and perhaps others, would appreciate your incite on this.

Thanks again!

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    donshapansky, Thanks again for the additional explanation and info and, though I forgot to mention earlier, the great detailed photos! Oh, I almost forgot! What's the story on using a "zip" to get the belt on? You are a declared "master" at getting the belt on(and off?)! I know I, and perhaps others, would appreciate your incite on this.

Thanks again!

Bruce
    Bruce,
    Here's a link to the pdf from ford service manual on how to install AC belt with zip tie.
    http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=865&viewfil...and%205.0L.pdf
    Scroll down to 303-05-4 at Installation no. 1
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Nevin, Thanks for the link info on the AC belt r/r. Looks like that will get it done. Kinda makes me wonder though who in the engineering dept. came up with this solution? Also, engine and trans are in! Thank you for the tips and pics. Plenty of room!!

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not mastered belt removal, I had to remove the compressor to install the engine and I to snip the belt! Installing the belt in the chassis was not too hard but make sure you tuck the belt in behind the crank pulley, it will go on from the front of the pulley. The other item is there is no room for the engine harness behind the alternator bracket the belt takes that room away. I tucked the dryer in there as well and tied the engine harness to the dryer bracket as insurance against the harness drifting back to the compressor drive belt area.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a typo, the belt will NOT install from the front of the pulley!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 48prerunner View Post
    pictures of the small manifolds and fittings that
    seanhylandmotorsport have for the AC compressors, basically,
    they have a small aluminum part that is machined, and bolts into those fittings
    areas on the compressor. Then, they thread them internally, and have a fitting
    that is a male-male fitting that has the correct -8 and -10 fittings to mate to
    AC lines.picture of the AC fittings that I have been talking about.
    The front side "manifold" has a plug in it currently, and the back one has the
    threaded part in it that allows you to hook up a conventional AC fitting

I think I'm going to use their power steering as it runs off the crank pulley and the ac compressor.
    Hey all,

I know this might be a bit late but anybody knows what is the mating connector for this compressor? and what are these two wires for? and how to hook them with the FFR Air-condition kit?

Thanks
    Hakeem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast