Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mass vehicle kit car inspection

Post Thanks / Like

Mass vehicle kit car inspection

It looks like to get a car registered it will need to pass the emissions requirements of the donor car as well as show receipts for a new catalytic converter, oxygen sensor, and charcoal canister. Has anyone used a charcoal canister and the purge valves? I assume I will need to make the tank non-vented (to atmosphere) and find a way to use the tank pressure sensor. I suppose I could build a circuit to emulate the inputs required to satisfy the monitoring test on the ECU. Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it has been dealt with. What year donor car are you using?

An OBD II car can be made to work with all monitors and sensors working.

A Non OBDII car needs to have all the stuff and pass a visual inspection.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    2002 Impreza WRX. I beleive that the ECU has been flashed so I'm not sure where I will be starting from. I will pick up a Tactrix cable at some point and see what has been altered if anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm very glad someone started this thread.

I've asked a lot of the Fac5 guys how strict the inspection stations are, tho I've gotten mixed answers. I'm thinking it would benefit us to get ahold of some of the GTM guys and ask them their experience with this topic as they had to adhere to the same emissions regulations that we are.
    "aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines" - some old dude

"Shut up! I know what I'm doing" - some angry finn

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an 818s kit on order with a June pick up date. Have the 2002 WRX donor car in my garage being stripped. I know that when the kit is complete I have to trailer it to a State Police salvage yard (after I pay a fee) to start the assigned VIN process but dont know anything about bringing it to a MAC center to get the inspection done. Does anyone have to state requirements that the 818s has to pass? Does it need wipers? I think it does need to pass the emissions of the donor car.
    Thanks
    Im in Mass

Post Thanks / Like
    show receipts for a new catalytic converter, oxygen sensor, and charcoal canister
    Are they serious?!? I read this part on the state's web site, too. I was hoping to use my donor's CAT converters (with the possible exception of the up-pipe), O2 sensor and canister. I have no complaints about complying with emissions, but I would rather not buy all new parts if I have a working set already. I suppose I'll just buy new parts; it is not worth the hassle of installing them all and finding they insist on brand new parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any one know if the MAC center will require a 3rd brake light. Being that the 818 is not a replica of anything I'm thinking they might. I have looked online and haven't found much info, it all seems kind of subjective to interpretation. I list of requirements would be great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Man, the state FFR started in is becoming a huge pain in the tail. Guess they don't plan on promoting factory fives business. I am amazed that they would go to such lengths for so few custom cars on the road.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I never thought I would be glad to be in New York. Our packet says:

Emission control devices: The vehicle must be equipped with all emission control devices based on the engine year.

Catalytic Convertors(s) ___
    Thermostatic Air Cleaner ___
    Fuel Inlet Restrictor ____
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation ___
    Air Injection System ____
    Positive Crank Case Ventilation ___
    We have to check the appropriate boxes and the car will be inspected for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quiny. I am 99% sure they will not require a 3rd brake light.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone actually gone through MA inspection? I'm trying to decide if I can remove the secondary air pump etc. 2006 WRX donor.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am also looking for anyone who has done the Mass inspection. What did you do for an exhaust? New Cat? Muffler? Pictures ?
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    The 818S at Factory Five is registered in Mass, you may want to contact them.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you guys need to buy a new cat, any chance I could borrow someone's old one from a 2002 wrx? i just need it to pass inspections then i can give it back.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK so is there anyone that has an 818 registered in Mass? If so please give plenty of details.
    Thanks Davis

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is registered. No MAC center visit. Went to my local inspection station. They plugged in the VIN and then the OBD. It did fail for check engine light, but I did get a sticker. Couldn't have been easier. It's going back tomorrow for a re inspection.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    After multiple unsuccessful attempts I finally got through to voice mail at the State Police salvage inspection unit to request an appointment for a VIN number. As I recall it took about 6 weeks for Mike to get a response. We're on vacation next week. If I haven't heard anything when I return I think I will load the car into the trailer and bring it to them hoping they will take pity on me and my 15 year old son and give us the number on the spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do not bring your son with you. Seriously. No one under 18 allowed.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW. I was wrong on the MAC thing. When I went back to get my rejection sticker fixed, I was told I need to go to the MAC center.
    Bummer. Appointment next week.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    BTW. I was wrong on the MAC thing. When I went back to get my rejection sticker fixed, I was told I need to go to the MAC center.
    Bummer. Appointment next week.
    Mike
    Mike let me know when, if you don't mind I would like to go with you and see the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    So do I have to go to the state police salvage yard to do the first inspection and prove where the parts came from? Then do the regular inspection. What happens at the MAC center? Too many steps with beaurocracy.
    Davis

Post Thanks / Like
    Also did someone at some step check for a new cat, new o2 sensors and new charcoal canister?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had many weeks of unsuccessful attempts at calling the salvage inspector for a VIN Assignment. There just isn't anybody at the office to take calls. I eventually showed up at the Bridgewater location to talk to the officer there and told him the situation. The captain ended up calling me within a week to set up an appointment. It seemed like they were going to try to get their act together and start doing the VIN Assignments before their regular working hours, as they are swamped everyday with salvage inspections. People literally camp out there overnight because they cannot make appointments, it's first come first served. VIN assignments do require an appointment so Do Not just show up there hoping to get inspected!

As for the VIN assignment inspection, it was quick and not very comprehensive. The biggest thing is the paperwork and receipts. You need receipts for the kit parts and any other major components (above ~$150) and they all need to show a phone number and address for the company! My first attempt was a fail because of a few Amazon receipts that didn't have this. Once I got that taken care of, he allowed me to come back on his lunch break for a second attempt. He didn't look specifically for a new charcoal canister, 02 sensors or cat. He took one pass around the car with a flashlight and then allowed me to put the VIN sticker on the chassis. Pretty straight forward.

Registering the car took almost 2 hours at the DMV. You will need all your receipts again as they will go through them all and make you pay any sales tax that already hasn't been paid. I also needed the Certificate of Origin from FFR and the title from the donor. Again, this was pretty straight forward, just time consuming.

Next came the state inspection. I have a friend who does them at his shop so I went to him. Luckily, he was able to select 'kit car' in the software and the car had no error codes so the OBD2 scan passed and I got my sticker! No MAC center for me! Been on the road for a couple months now and loving it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm. Strange. When they put kit car in for mine, it automatically sent me to the MAC center. I thought I was free and clear because, although it failed the first time, I did get a sticker. When I went back, it rejected me and told me to go to the MAC.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm. Strange. When they put kit car in for mine, it automatically sent me to the MAC center. I thought I was free and clear because, although it failed the first time, I did get a sticker. When I went back, it rejected me and told me to go to the MAC.
    Mike
    This might be the same situation my dad had with his G35.

When they check the system monitors, they are not only checking for readiness but continuity. They compare what the status of that monitor is vs. what it has been for the past 5 years or so. So if you O2 readiness monitor(or any monitor for that case) went from being ready to not supported, it throws a red flag and they send you to the MAC station.

Just a thought...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 508wrx View Post
    This might be the same situation my dad had with his G35.

When they check the system monitors, they are not only checking for readiness but continuity. They compare what the status of that monitor is vs. what it has been for the past 5 years or so. So if you O2 readiness monitor(or any monitor for that case) went from being ready to not supported, it throws a red flag and they send you to the MAC station.

Just a thought...
    This happened to me as well with my Evo. Unknowingly, my tuner turned off the O2 monitors and when I went for an inspection they weren't happy and sent me to a MAC center.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my VIN today. My experience was pretty much like those of Mike and ewingate. After weeks of inability to reach them on the phone I went to the Bridgewater site. The trooper was kind enough to look over my paper work and pointed out the deficiencies. He then took my name and called with an appointment about two weeks later. They had me drive right in then sent me off to sit in the corner with the guys who sleep overnight in salvage cars they have repaired and are trying to get re-titled. We had a nice time chatting about our frustrations. I don't really know what went on for the next half hour, but they called me back in and said nice job and showed me where they attached the VIN. The paper work I was asked to produce included: The receipt from the RMV for the $50 inspection fee (which had taken 2 hours to obtain a month ago), the donor salvage title, an appraisal from the insurance company that had totaled the donor (I got it quite easily from Copart, but would not have had it had the trooper not told me previously that it was needed), the certificate of origin and receipts from Factory Five, receipts with addresses and telephone numbers for the vendors for major parts. I included the obvious ones such as wheels and tires, seats, stereo, instruments, exhaust, cat, etc, and a few small ones I had lying around. Totally unexpected was the need for a "work order" from the builder. The trooper had mentioned this when he scheduled the inspection so I had labeled a page "Work Order", dated it, listed myself and my sons as builders and included the date we picked up the donor, a time for cleaning, painting and powder coating parts, the date we picked up the kit and another time period for assembly. I also listed the donor parts used and the new parts purchased, being careful that the list matched my receipts. This seems to have satisfied the trooper who copied the list of donor parts onto my salvage title. I should have my registration form with its insurance stamp (Haggerty) tomorrow then I'm off to the RMV to get plates and then inspection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, that is huge. Any chance of showing us what that "work order" looked like? I will probably need to do the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to second that. Can you send me a pic of the WO?

I am in the waiting process. I think its time to go visit them in person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the work order:

Work Order
    September 15, 2015
    Factory Five 818
    Builders: Ivan D Frantz, III, Leland M Frantz, Ivan D Frantz, IV

March 2014: Purchase donor 2006 Subaru Impressa WRX from Copart
    March 2014- August 2014: Disassemble donor, clean and paint or powder coat parts
    August 2014: Pick up kit from Factory Five
    August 2014- August 2015: Assemble kit using donor and purchased parts
    Donor parts used: Engine, transmission, radiator, wheel hubs, axles, brake calipers, steering rack and column, instrument cluster, wiring, ecu, door hinges and latches, seat belts, mirrors
    Parts purchased separately: Wheels and tires, seats, radio and speakers, dash instruments, remote brake reservoir, exhaust with catalytic converter, coolant lines, charcoal canister, oxygen sensor, mass air flow sensor, steering wheel adapter, grill

Post Thanks / Like
    that is way easier than I was expecting. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the first time I have ever heard them ask for such a thing. I have been through he process at least 10 times including with my 818. Sure would be nice if they all had the same requirements and rules. Seems every trooper is different.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the first time I have ever heard them ask for such a thing. I have been through he process at least 10 times including with my 818. Sure would be nice if they all had the same requirements and rules. Seems every trooper is different.
    Mike
    Ditto-

Never needed a work order, or insurance info for the donor car,I dhave alwayd had the title in my name. Been through it several times.

Worst part of any build is the state police inspection, RMV and the MAC center,

Actually the MAC center is not bad, they are good guys, and professional. They have a job to do and I respect that.

Some of the state police are mean and disrespectful for no reason. I have had a few that have been very good. I have never had a stolen part or tried to evade my taxes on parts used on the cars I have built.

And the registry?....... they are simply incompetent.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Ran into an unexpected problem. The insurance company that insures 5 other cars for me including a 1971 Lotus Elan and a 1928 Model A Ford won't insure the 818 because they don't insure exotic cars. Heacock, which insures my two vintage race cars can't insure anything newer than 25 years in MA and Hagerty won't insure it because it is not a replica of anything. I know there are a few 818s on the road in MA. Anyone willing to share by whom they are insured and how the car is described on the policy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ended up insuring through American Collector Cars. Nice to deal with. A bit restrictive on use, but there must be a car show somewhere every day.

Next to the RMV. Not as bad as anticipated. After the obligatory hour and fifteen minute wait I spent only 15 minutes at the counter. The agent was not very familiar with what was needed, but was patient and obviously trying to help. What was required: The original certificate of origin and paid invoice from Factory Five, the original salvage title and bill of sale for the donor, the VIN number application with stamp from the State Police, the RMV-1 form with insurance stamp, and the receipts for parts which I had submitted with the VIN application. The agent calculated the value of the donor and other parts I had not paid sales tax on, I wrote a check and he handed me the plates.

Heading to my local inspection station tomorrow, MAC center if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    All went smooth at the inspection station, up to a point. The computer accepted my new VIN, the car passed all safety checks, but the computer spit out an inspection sticker with a big "R" on it and an invitation to the MAC center. This was disappointing, but not entirely unexpected. I called the MAC center and talked with a woman who could have scheduled my visit for as soon as the next day. I decided to put it off for a week. Today I got a call from a very nice guy who wanted to make sure everything was in order before I showed up. He will be looking for emissions compliance and proper registration. On the emissions side I will need an evaporative emissions system, OBD port and new catalytic converter, oxygen sensor and vapor canister. He said he was more interested in the receipts for these items than seeing the items themselves. When I described what I have he said I should be ok. On the registration side I do have a problem. The registry called the car make "kit", model "fac5" and model number "818", which seemed reasonable to me. Unfortunately the correct terms are make "Spec" and model "Constr" (Specially Constructed Vehicle), with no model number. That means getting a new RMV-1 stamped by the insurance company, waiting for my incorrect title to show up, and bringing both to the RMV for a "Registration Amendment". Would not be so bad, except for the 2 hour wait at the RMV. I'll then reschedule the MAC appointment but at least I was assured by the inspector there that he'd schedule it for a sunny day.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got a letter from FFR with a new Cert of Origin. The new on has an extra zero in the serial number. The problem is the VIN plate has the old serial number. Shouldn't they give me a new VIN plate to match??
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the same letter today. My original Cert of Origin went to the state police when I got my VIN. Hope that doesn't turn out to be a problem down the line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CU9DZ View Post
    I just got a letter from FFR with a new Cert of Origin. The new on has an extra zero in the serial number. The problem is the VIN plate has the old serial number. Shouldn't they give me a new VIN plate to match??
    Dave
    I don't think you need the FFR vin plate, The state will give you a new one.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    OK So what do you do about the VIN plate on your car? Does anybody care about the serial number on the plate once the VIN has been assigned?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast