FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NISMO_RB25 Texas 818S Build

Post Thanks / Like
    This time around instead of using a frame dolly, I am using this Quickjack. It is amazing how much easier it is to do things when you have the right tools.

QuickJack.jpg
    Last edited by NISMO_RB25; 05-13-2022 at 07:35 PM.
    1995 Nissan Skyline GTR VSpec
    818S in progress.

2. Likes Shawn818c, jbs72697 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today I finally got the electrical to a place where I could turn the key. I am missing the sub harness for the fuel pump, so once that arrives I may actually get to start this thing. I ended up mounting the engine fuse box in the front and the couple of engine plugs were able to be unwound with just the extension of three wires to make it back to the motor.

818S in progress.

4. Likes Shawn818c liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The harness loop backs are truly amazing. I decided to mount my engine fuse box near the battery in the front which means all the headlight plugs, radiator fan plugs, horns, and so on are closer to where they need to be. By cutting and extending just three wires on this brown plug, this connector made it's way back to the engine. The black connector that goes to the same location needed no modifications. Two wires to extend the plug for the alternator and A 4 gauge wire that was terminated on both ends, plus a fuse block, took care of the rest.

Engine Plug.jpg
    Last edited by NISMO_RB25; 06-08-2022 at 09:28 PM.
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats that is exciting! I am right behind you just need to crimp a couple starter cables and I ready to try turning the key for the first time to see if things power up nicely. We will see how my harness dieting goes...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blomb11 View Post
    Congrats that is exciting! I am right behind you just need to crimp a couple starter cables and I ready to try turning the key for the first time to see if things power up nicely. We will see how my harness dieting goes...
    Awesome! I still have shifter setup to do to be able to drive it, but not catching fire immediately was a relief.
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    I myself am about to hit pause on my R build as I am moving to Austin TX from Atlanta GA next week.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Atlanta-Build

It is always good to have friends in new places. Currently, I plan to leave the car behind in Atlanta and focus on the new job. It is looking like property is NOT cheap around Austin and I will be commuting into the city for the foreseeable future so I need to stay fairly close. No basements in TX also puts a hurting on all the shop stuff, equipment, and parts storage I have (in a full basement) in Atlanta....

It looks like I have made it a bit farther than you thus far, but not complete yet. I managed to get it to the go karting stage and up to the track twice, but blew up the motor starting the second day of the second outing. I have been working on the body for the past 8+ months off an on while waiting for the new engine build.

Anyway, I may be able to help answer some questions from time to time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jforand View Post
    I myself am about to hit pause on my R build as I am moving to Austin TX from Atlanta GA next week.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Atlanta-Build

It is always good to have friends in new places. Currently, I plan to leave the car behind in Atlanta and focus on the new job. It is looking like property is NOT cheap around Austin and I will be commuting into the city for the foreseeable future so I need to stay fairly close. No basements in TX also puts a hurting on all the shop stuff, equipment, and parts storage I have (in a full basement) in Atlanta....

It looks like I have made it a bit farther than you thus far, but not complete yet. I managed to get it to the go karting stage and up to the track twice, but blew up the motor starting the second day of the second outing. I have been working on the body for the past 8+ months off an on while waiting for the new engine build.

Anyway, I may be able to help answer some questions from time to time.
    Thanks and welcome to the oven we call TX. Austin traffic is a nightmare, so I generally stay away as much as possible. The drifting scene is pretty strong in TX so I see a lot of people from Austin at the track that is fairly close to me.
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's Alive!! It is also 100 degrees in the shade here, so progress may slow down while await some shifter parts.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6HlTk4E_ZLs
    818S in progress.

11. Likes jbs72697, jforand, fletch, Sgt.Gator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well today I spent way too long trying to make sure my headlight wiring was functioning, only to realize I hadn't connected the harness at the interior fuse box. Oops. works now.
    I made a bracket to hold the big fuse box in front and so far I am really liking this location. My buddy who helped me replace my timing belt ~8 years ago when I first started the project, reminded me it probably needs to be changed due to age now. Doh!!
    Timing belt, bell crank, and shifter are all on order now.

IMG_9492.jpgIMG_9495.jpgIMG_9494.jpg
    818S in progress.

13. Likes jbs72697 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another scorcher of a day in TX, but I manged to diet the harness for the rear lights and another half dozen wires out of the front. I realized today that my door open light is on the dash, so I am going to have to figure out what I need to short to fix that.
    My engine needs to come back out to replace my timing belt due to age and zero miles....
    On a positive note, some goodies arrived today from http://zerodecibelmotorsports.com/
    IMG_9538.jpg
    818S in progress.

15. Likes Shawn818c liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If either B13 (blue white) or B14 (yellow) on the corner of the center connector (green) of the dash is grounded, the door light comes on. Cutting both wires should fix it for you. Good luck with the wiring, especially with summer coming in a few days.

17. Thanks NISMO_RB25 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've driven off and had a door fly open more times than I'd like to admit. A few times I've forgotten to shut the door all the way at the track after fiddling with the 5-point harness. Just 2 days ago the passenger door missed my wife's car by inches as I backed out of the driveway. I hadn't shut it all the way after having it open the night before to work on something.

I'm taking this B13 and B14 info and putting on my to-do list: Add open door dash light.
    Last edited by Dave 53; 06-18-2022 at 10:02 PM.

19. Likes NISMO_RB25, Sgt.Gator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For peace of mind I pulled the motor and replaced the timing belt that was 8+ years old with zero miles on it. I cut the trans mounting point out and lowered it. A little light trimming on the transmission with a file and everything cleared. Current feels like temp is 105 degrees so that's it for today.
    IMG_9700.jpg
    IMG_9703.jpg
    IMG_9704.jpg
    818S in progress.

21. Likes jbs72697 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It turns out getting my drift car ready and going drifting has been taking priority over the kit car. The real problem besides the 105 degree days is that I am just tired of the wiring at this point. Everything works, just so much more to remove to clean it up.
    I did remove the small fuse box that is with the larger engine box, so that is something. The last couple of days have been installing a new radiator, jacking the car up in the air, bleeding the system, finding leaks, realizing I didn't buy enough coolant, and after a few heat cycles getting all the air out.
    IMG_9811.jpg
    This coolant funnel kit made this a lot easier.
    IMG_9824.jpg
    It was great to see all the air come out and have nice coolant temps.
    IMG_9825.jpg

Next up is probably shifter and cleaning up the wiring for some go kart action.
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having a 2006 donor I went too far with dieting the harness and ended up removing the security module. After ordering an entire new harness and nearly a year and a half later I have a running car again. Great to see a few active builds still on here and I will try to make more updates along the way. Today I was just about ready to give up and found that I had the immobilizer box and the keyless entry box plugged into each others ports. Out of all the very specific slotted connectors, why those two are matched I will never understand. Car is back to running and now I will be a little more careful with my wire dieting going forward.
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man you should have posted something in here, it wouldn't have taken much prompting for me to sell you mine at a bargain so that I could go buy an aftermarket ECU. And I've been over to SA a half dozen times in the last year, could have dropped it off for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajzride View Post
    Man you should have posted something in here, it wouldn't have taken much prompting for me to sell you mine at a bargain so that I could go buy an aftermarket ECU. And I've been over to SA a half dozen times in the last year, could have dropped it off for you.
    Lesson learned. I try and go drifting in Houston at HPA a few times a year also.
    818S in progress.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12