Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Thinking about a Roadster

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about a Roadster

Hello FactoryFiveForum --

1st time poster here.
    I have been thinking about building a Roadster for a long time. At 68 years old, hopefully there is still time. I started tinkering with cars in my teens. Had a muscle car in the 60s. Got drafted in the Army, and they made me a mechanic. Kept doing my own car work when I got out, and then started working on old motorcycles. Been doing that ever since.

So, back to the Roadster. I plan on taking the build course in Howell, MI. It makes a lot of sense to me to see what I'm getting into. It's also only 10 miles from where I live. Thoughts on the Roadster are: Complete kit, turnkey 302 or 351W, T5, 8.8 posi-trac w/3.55 gears & undecided on the 15" or 17" Halibrand replicas.

I'm open to any suggestions/tips on any of this.

Regards, Rod Dittmar (aka RdstrRod)

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. That is a good start. Please feel free to ask questions.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Many builders are older than you and the build school gets lots of rave reviews. You're lucky it's so close, so do it soon. If you haven't already read a lot of this forum make sure to spend some hours here learning how much fun we all get from building an FFR. For most, the build is fun and it's an amazing feeling driving along knowing you built your own car from a bare frame. I still admire Ferraris, Audi R8s, Maseratis, '14 Corvettes, etc. but also think, "He didn't build it." You've got a nice build plan so place your order. Oh, and welcome to the madness!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Rod,

Welcome to the forum! Stop thinking about it and jump right in. Sounds like you have all the skills really needed to build one of these projects, just make sure you have enough free time.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Pat
    Mark III 4630RD Explorer 302, Holley SA570, FRPP B-cam, 4 to 4's, 3 Link, Bullitt wheels, Baer Brakes, 3.73 gears, HD T-5, I2 wiring, Koni Coilovers, Classic Gauges. Jaguar Racing Green w/ Silver stripes

PM me if you live in Upstate New York. Get added to the "Upstate Cobras" email list. 60+ members!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry I messed around with other projects so long. My ffr roadster is one of the most satisfying motorsports projects I've done. Nothing like driving a rocket ship you assembled.
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like you definately have the skills. If you are going to up the HP, you may want a T5z or step into the TKO range. However, Dave Smith said that he has never broken a T5.
    As far as wheels go:
    15" wheels are the period correct size.
    Very limited performance tire selection.
    Not much upgrading can be done on brakes.

17" is a more modern look, but doesn't look out of place (IMO) on a MKIV. The fender wells hold them better visually than earlier versions. Again, IMO.
    Huge selection of tires available.
    You can go to "big brakes" for more stopping power.

The build school, especially right next door, sort of allows you to try it on before you buy.

Welcome. Not to put pressure on, but there is a nice sale going on right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. Your plan sounds like it will be a lot of fun. Give Gordon or Mike a call and they can help with any power train decisions you need. Gordon also has a rock solid T-5 that he sells.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    My complete kit was delivered the same month I retired, so I could get on with the build. 67 when I started, finished it in 26 months. Great learning experience. I went with the 17" wheels, for a wider selection of tires. The 15" tire selection is getting limited.
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the madness!!!!!!!!!1
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Rod, I'm very new to this forum as well. I ordered my kit two weeks ago, and it should be ready for pickup on 12/21. Take advantage of the current 50/50 sale. I saved $5,500. If you care to take the class, there is one spot left for the one that starts 12/13.
    FFR #8214 -2nd gen Coyote-Wilwood setup-Hydroboost-17" Halibrand-3 Link-TKO600

2003 Mercury Marauder Vortech V2 T-Trim 518rwhp 11.70 @ 121mph