FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lower front control arms castle nut...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lower front control arms castle nut...

OK, I really hope one of you smarter builders can help me with something. When I tighten the castle nut on the lower control arms the ball joint post just spins. I have no idea how to torque it to spec. I am sure I am missing something simple. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would sure like to know also. I feel dumb. Have tried roughing up surface to get a little traction, but even that fails. Ideas? Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Try beveling the inside of the spacer where it contacts the ball joint shaft. Open it up enough to clear the expanded part of the shaft just under the threads. Found this fix on the forum and it worked for me. HTH Jim

Tech Support Manager, FFR Tony Zullo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys the kit should have come with a taperd spacer if you don't have one call us at factory five and we will get them out to you!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Will the tapered spacer solve this problem? I'll call the factory on Monday, but I'm wondering if that is it.

My kit did not come with the tapered spare and I have opened up the spacer as descibed by others and also added a spacer with hole a little bigger than the spacer) underneath it to provide more height so that the holes in the shaft will not be higher than the castle nut. However, I'm still having problems with the shaft turning long before I get close to the torque values.

Anymore thoughts on how to get it torqued correctly without the shaft spinning?

Thanks, Scot

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zullo View Post
    Hi guys the kit should have come with a taperd spacer if you don't have one call us at factory five and we will get them out to you!!

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure both tapers are dry. no grease or never seize, molycote etc. Maybe a very lite grit clean up on both surfaces with emery cloth. The taper should grab as soon as it pulls in. verify thread quality and adequate thread length, that's why the spacer is in the kit. Make sure tapers match, maybe you have a mis matched taper. Rare but achievable in todays off shore manufacturing world...

Post Thanks / Like
    I sent an email to FFR and Tony sent the spacers immediately. They are taller than the ones that I received in the kit and solved the problem. I was able to torque the ball joint shaft correctly and the castle nuts were now the correct height.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    More than a year after posting this thread all of your wisdom came through! New spacers from FFR and all is well! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rcotner View Post
    More than a year after posting this thread all of your wisdom came through! New spacers from FFR and all is well! Thanks!
    That's awesome. Glad you got the right part!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)