Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Brando's Newbie 818R Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

ECU and Wire Harness

I was having some issues getting the electromotive ECU tuned in my area and decided I wanted to go with the stock ECU.
    I had a custom harness made by Brian (iwire). Brian has been a huge help and he is simply a great guy. He does one and only one thing...WRX harnesses. He is crazy good with these things.

Wayne was kind enough to exchange my harness for a few different bells and whistles. Most notable is the AWIC. Wayne has been nothing but a good experience and he has put up with plenty of my BS...so shout out to you Wayne, thanks bro.

The switch to the left is for my lights/high beams, blinkers and horn (using wheel horn as well). This switch slides behind the dashboard and is still easy to press the buttons. It's been a nice alternative to using the clunky stock column switches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fuel Tank - Fuel Rails - Fuel Lines - Fuel Filter

Picture is worth a thousand words, and since i need to leave for work in 10 min .....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Awic

Wow is this LCA mount dirty! Note to self...clean your parts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lowered to R track height in all locations

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

nose/rear lights installed and working

Including blinkers and backup lights. (thanks Brian!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Simply replace turbo and I am ready to fire it up. So close

I need one last thing before I can enjoy that coveted first start & drive. I am replacing my turbo with a bolt on instead of this import which would require extensive custom plumbing. Dru (DruOdil) has that replacement in hand and I’m picking it up today. In a perfect world next week I will be taking my car for a spin. See you soon Dru!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think that's it for my updates. Please note I realize some hose clamps are missing, fuel rails need to be locked down and there are some other lose ends.

Have a great Easter and hope to see some of you in HB next week.

Brandon

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good!
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    I think that's it for my updates. Please note I realize some hose clamps are missing, fuel rails need to be locked down and there are some other lose ends.

Have a great Easter and hope to see some of you in HB next week.

Brandon
    Looking good Brandon, I agree that Brian @ iWire knows his stuff and does great work and easy to work with, I should have my harness back from him next week. Thanks for being the template for the wiring harness much appreciated as it saved me a trip down to drop off my car. Good luck with start and keep us posted.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Brandon, you've been quiet... but obviously busy! Thanks for the info on iWire; he's only a hour up the road, so I just may use him when I tackle my harness soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    How much was brian service for your wiring harness?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, figured I would post here directly. Brandon's was the prototype so it's not perfect and a has couple design issues (aesthetics not to my liking) that will be sorted out with the next one. What he paid reflects that. The harness is going to be around $2,200 with parts and labor on a custom R harness built to your specs with the goal being that it's entirely plug and play.

The exposed loom you guys see in the front and the back hasn't been wrapped up yet so avert your eyes when it comes to the wiring in those pics.

After I finish up Anthony's so I have better pictures of the final product and will post up a vendor thread with more details.
    Last edited by iWire; 04-17-2014 at 03:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your roller looks great Brando! So close! Looking forward to hearing about the first drive.

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iWire View Post
    Hey guys, figured I would post here directly. Brandon's was the prototype so it's not perfect and a has couple design issues (aesthetics not to my liking) that will be sorted out with the next one. What he paid reflects that. The harness is going to be around $2,200 with parts and labor on a custom R harness built to your specs with the goal being that it's entirely plug and play.

The exposed loom you guys see in the front and the back hasn't been wrapped up yet so avert your eyes when it comes to the wiring in those pics.

After I finish up Anthony's so I have better pictures of the final product and will post up a vendor thread with more details.
    It is cool that someone is building harnesses, but 2,200 on a ten thousand dollar kit is going to be high for most. I understand what it takes and the labor and material involved, just saying it's going to be a big investment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    It is cool that someone is building harnesses, but 2,200 on a ten thousand dollar kit is going to be high for most. I understand what it takes and the labor and material involved, just saying it's going to be a big investment.
    Given that the real cost is between 15 and 20k when complete, 10% is a reasonable amount to spend, also when I'm spending $3-400 on a race weekend I can't afford to have an electrical issue as I went through this with my challenge car and then got someone who knew how to build a proper harness.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Ascribing "value" on something like this is tough. I'm having a friend do my harness, but if I wasn't I'd be looking for super-reliable options as well. Having been driven mad before with all manner of electrical gremlins on old cars, I can see the value of dropping some coin on a well-developed solution.

BTW, Brando do you always work on your car barefoot? Oh wait [as he checks location], yep, knew it...California.

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    I totally agree, it's not cheap, but I believe the end result will speak for itself. Consider that the man hours to build one complete plug and play harness to customer spec is well over the 20 hour mark as I'm basically building them from scratch using bits from the original Subaru harness and stringing it all together with high quality fresh wire. This kit is meant to be high end and do understand it will be outside the budget for some. I will try to introduce lower cost options as I get deeper into the market to see what people are asking for, their budget, their goals, and what is feasible/practical.

Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    Given that the real cost is between 15 and 20k when complete, 10% is a reasonable amount to spend, also when I'm spending $3-400 on a race weekend I can't afford to have an electrical issue as I went through this with my challenge car and then got someone who knew how to build a proper harness.
    Beautifully said.

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Ascribing "value" on something like this is tough. I'm having a friend do my harness, but if I wasn't I'd be looking for super-reliable options as well. Having been driven mad before with all manner of electrical gremlins on old cars, I can see the value of dropping some coin on a well-developed solution.

BTW, Brando do you always work on your car barefoot? Oh wait [as he checks location], yep, knew it...California.

Best,
    -j
    I usually work in sandals or barefoot. Haha

I'll get a thread posted up so that we can discuss any questions/concerns over there and leave this thread to drooling over Brandon's car.
    Last edited by iWire; 04-18-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The wiring harness is the favorite part of the build for me. Because I am very proud of my work when it do and I did it my self. I am very experienced in doing this kind of work.

I think $2200 is a very good price for a proper harness as I know the hours it takes.
    I will have 50+ hours into my harness studying, investigating parts, building harness and intalling and testing.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 04-19-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    For 2K, you could buy the ISIS system cut the weight and and have the ability to expand and add custom options. http://www.isispower.com/

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    For 2K, you could buy the ISIS system cut the weight and and have the ability to expand and add custom options. http://www.isispower.com/
    But you still don't have the wiring for the motor...
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    With either Wayne's or Brian's system you get the weight cut (from 49lbs to between 7-10 lbs) you get expandability and you get a complete harness (body, dash and engine) and they connect to factory plugs, I bet you with the ISIS system you are well over 3K when your done and hours of labor.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    But you still don't have the wiring for the motor...
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    With either Wayne's or Brian's system you get the weight cut (from 49lbs to between 7-10 lbs) you get expandability and you get a complete harness (body, dash and engine) and they connect to factory plugs, I bet you with the ISIS system you are well over 3K when your done and hours of labor.
    I would say you'd be in it at least 3k and the labor to build the system is probably only marginally less if you factor in wiring up the engine. They give you the control box, which is simpler (maybe) but you still have to get the input/outputs where they need to go which means running wire through the car anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brando - what wheels do you have and what size, offset, etc.?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Isxsean!

Bill,

Wheels:
    Enkei Kojin
    17x8 + 45 Front
    18x8.5 + 45 Rear

Tires:
    Hoosiers R6
    225/40-17 Front
    255/35-18 Rear

I should probably mention that it took 20mm spacers on each rear to have the inside tire clear the trailing arms. With the extra width the tires rub the fenders so I opted for Waynes trailing arms which shift them inward an inch or two. I am installing those tomorrow and will let you know how they fit...keep in mind my toe-in is eyeballed. I should get a proper alignment this week.

B

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Brando; I, too, have Wayne's trailing ams. I'll bet they fix your problem.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Second Start

So I flipped on my ignition to find out my injector o-rings were not seated well. After cleaning the fuel that sprayed everywhere I came the conclusion that I needed to do some more engine work. I had to address some missing water lines, vacuum hoses, reseating the fuel rails, fixing another fuel leak at the fuel filter and replacing the turbo & plumbing.

Last night Brian @ Iwire came by after his hockey game to button up a few things and Dru’s engine builder Ron was assisting me on a few things outside my capabilities. It was around midnight when I flipped the ignition and all fuel leaks were resolved. I disabled the fuel pump to kick over the motor and prime the oil. I hit the start button and to my surprise it fired up! I didn't realize that the pressure already in the lines was enough to fire the engine up. That was good for a shot of adrenaline!

When I say surprise…mind you I live in a close quarter family neighborhood. Having the garage wide open and this thing firing up unexpectedly at midnight setting off the fire alarm a few seconds later was an adrenaline filled 15 seconds. I have never ripped apart a fire detector that fast. Let’s call it a night guys…high fives for all.

This morning I wanted to enjoy that satisfaction one more time….

Last edited by Brando; 04-22-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on a major milestone !
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    So jealous. That is cool. I cant wait either.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    There's life in it! Congrats, Brando!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    hah yeah always pull the fuse when you are cranking! nice job. the smile on your face says it all.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congrats, Brandon!

ItsAlive.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    w00t w00t!

The look on Brandon's face when it fired up unexpectedly was priceless! Also got to test the master shutoff in the process (it worked). lol

Way to go Brandon!
    When we say to our customers "if there is anything you need, please ask," we mean it.
    iWire Subaru Wiring Services
    Over 100 Custom 818 Wiring Harnesses Built
    http://www.iwireservices.com/factory...18-wiring-kits
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome Brandon, I
    just finally ordered my kit!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Long Beach Grand Prix

I went to the Long Beach Grand Prix the weekend before last. Great time as always.
    Has nothing to do with my build...but since it's racing it's still an acceptable post on my build thread right?

How cool would that 2 seater F1 car be...scare the life out of anyone

Post Thanks / Like
    cool.
    not an F1 though, just an Indy car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

HB Drive In 4/26/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing crowd. I gotta be there next year in my 818.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Aren't you glad you brought it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    Aren't you glad you brought it?
    The shirt or the car?

That was a really fun day, sad my 15 minutes are over.

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast