Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Brando's Newbie 818R Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brando's Newbie 818R Build Thread

Happy Holidays!

It was around 7 years ago I was racing a built EVO 7 at Buttonwillow time attack day and left standing still by what ended up a FF5 spec racer. I spoke with the driver between heats and he educated me about factory five. That's where it all started. First question was which of the Cobra's to purchase, street or spec. Fortunately I waited a few months to attend a yearly car show FF5 participates in at Knotts Berry Farm. I don't know if you have tried sitting in the Shelby Cobra but I can tell you it's not made for a 6'5" guy. Fortunately they had the GTM and let me sit in it. Surprisingly I had plenty of leg room but nearly no visibility. I was still in love and spent the next few years growing and tanking my first business in pursuit of building this $40k supercar. My first business and the GTM didn't go as planned and I rebuilt my life. 6 years later my rebuild was successful I am not only ready to do this again, but this time I'm qualified.
    Bring it on 818R, I have waited a long time for your big V8 brothers but now your my #1. Don't worry little 818, their just jealous your faster with half the cylinders.

I also would like to add that Brandi and I are bringing a little bundle of joy into this world towards the end of January. This is her 2nd (lovely 11 year old girl) and my first. Her name is Raquel nick-name Rocki. I'm even more excited about that then my 818 arrival, and that's staggering in my world.
    So that means January I have to put every ounce of time into this project.

Here is where I am at:
    Model: 818R
    Pickup Date: December 21, 2013
    Delivery date: Jan 17th, 2014
    Completion Date Goal: April 26th, 2014

Chassis:
    Powder coated
    Carbon Fiber Rear Race Spoiler
    Carbon Fiber Rear Race Diffuser
    Carbon Fiber Race Splitter

Motor:
    2004 EJ20
    16g Turbo
    750cc injectors
    Killer B pickup and baffle
    Outfront Fuel Rails
    Grimspeed ceramic coated inside/outside - exhaust manifold, cross pipe, up pipe
    Cusco Motor/trans mounts
    340 lpm fuel pump
    BOV TBD

ECU:
    VCP Wireharness and switchboard
    Electromotive Tec-S ECU

Trans:
    2004 Stock 5 speed
    Exedy stage 2 clutch
    ACT flywheel

Brakes:
    Wilwood 12" Red - Slotted & Drilled
    Pads TBD

Wheels:
    Enkei Kojin
    17x8 + 45 Front
    18x8.5 + 45 Rear

Tires:
    Hoosiers R6
    225/40-17 Front heat cycled
    255/35-18 Rear heat cycled

The Process:
    photo-working-on-car_compressed.jpgI found this little jem on craigslist for $250. It didn't have a motor or transmission but everything else seemed in tact

Oops, broke the cabinet door.

IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0072.JPG IMG_0056.JPG photo8.JPG
    Stripped her clean (took me longer than anticipated ~20hr and that's without a motor removal)

IMG_0075.JPG IMG_0081.JPG
    Then another trip to craigslist to find these 2 hard working fellas who tore this car to pieces in 2 hours flat then towed it off for scrap.

IMG_2003.JPG
    Ebay led me to this motor. EJ20 turbo, 45k mi, 5 speed, wiring harness, radiator, turn key from Miami engine import. $3k delivered.

IMG_0084.JPG
    I couldn't get out of work to meet the engines delivery time so I picked it up at the dispatch location and used a hoist to get it out of my truck

IMG_0086.JPG
    Now its on the palette which i recently added casters too so I can roll it around. My next plan is to remove anything i don't need from the motor, but first I need to dig a bit on exactly what that is. I also want to pull the transmission and install a new clutch which will be a first for me. Honestly I'm not even sure how to properly secure the motor/trans when they separate. Can i sit the engine down on the oil pan? Perhaps I need an engine stand or something like that. LMK
    Last edited by Brando; 02-24-2014 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Updated Motor/tire/wheels details

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Earlier this month I did a 24 hour Vegas trip for the Sema Show. I hovered around the FF5 booth for quite some time, probably annoyed a few of the guys but who could help me. It was a constant shot of Adrenalin and anticipation started running high.

IMG_20131105_165056.jpg
    I look up to these guys, thanks for allowing our dreams to come true

WP_20131105_033.jpgWP_20131105_032.jpgWP_20131105_031.jpg
    This car was quite impressive. Does anyone know what the weight of this car ended up at?

WP_20131105_030.jpgWP_20131105_029.jpg
    We all have seen this one pleanty of times. 2:02 at Watkins Glen and I bet next trip you guys beat that 2:00 mark.

IMG_20131105_165717.jpgIMG_20131105_165708.jpg
    Waynes car was something of beauty. Looks great in pictures but even better in person. I somewhat forced my help on him to assist covering his car up EOD Tuesday. Seems a great guy, as did Dave. Thanks Gentlemen

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here is a bit of Video i grabbed at the Sema Show 2013

IMG_0095.JPG
    Ready and waiting

IMG_0101.JPG
    It's a thing of beauty, and smell! Wifey tells the garage smells like Kraigen, I say thank you.

IMG_0100.JPG
    Trans looks clean

IMG_0099.JPG
    Looks like i will be ordering some aluminum A-arms (if that's even what they are called) from an 06. The one to the left is creased from the collision

Goals prior to delivery are:
    Meet caliber people and make friends in my area who share the same common goal here
    Figure out how to get my spindles off and get new bearings
    Pull off trans and replace clutch
    Clean Parts.

I'm wondering what if any parts I should powder-coat. I am not as concerned about showmanship as i plan to beat this car up. I do want durability. I see guys powder coating alot of items. Is that for rust or show?

Welp that's all I have thus far. I will do my best to share all my hurdles and hope it helps any other rooks out there.

Thanks in advance for all the help,
    Brandon

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    Happy Holidays!
    You, too! You're off to a great start, and your enthusiasm for the project is obvious!

Are you going to try to register the R, or will it be a pure track toy?

~ Anticipated delivery date: Dec 27, 2013 - Jan 3,2014
    Delivery party?: For sure, and your welcome to join. Bring your friends &/or wifey. PM me
    Let me know if you need a hand with delivery, if we're not out of town skiing, I'd be happy to head up to OC to help. Always up for a party!

My next plan is to remove anything i don't need from the motor, but first I need to dig a bit on exactly what that is.
    A great reference for that is this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    You, too! You're off to a great start, and your enthusiasm for the project is obvious!

Are you going to try to register the R, or will it be a pure track toy?
    I'm pretty darn excited. Since this year's SB100 exemption didn't exceed the yearly 500 limit i'm going to wait until its 1 month away from completion then start the process with the DMV. If all goes well then I should get my meeting with the CHP for road compliance just as I finish my 818R. After it passes I am planning on having it ref'd by the model in hopes that I get the 1960 emissions exemption. Goal is to be built and street legal by August 2014.

I am an avid snowboarder as is Brandi (wifey) but she is out of commission for this season.

I am definitely down for the support and will keep you posted. Thread reference was helpful. tnx

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    .../I don't know if you have tried sitting in the Shelby Cobra but I can tell you it's not made for a 6'5" guy.
    You, sir, need to sit in my Roadster(FFR-speak for Cobra) and you will be pleasantly surprised. I'm going to build an 818 too so there will be 3 of them west of the 405 in South OC!

I cleaned out my inbox a little; let's get in touch.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Regarding legroom, I'm probably going to jump on the Boyd tank Black Friday sale going on now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Which tank are you looking at? Link me

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Regarding legroom, I'm probably going to jump on the Boyd tank Black Friday sale going on now.
    Good choice, but remember FFR has a tall tank now too...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, don't count me out (San Clemente)
    Just as soon as I take out the garbage(very long story) I will be ordering mine too ®
    Brando, Dave is a very big guy(like a football lineman)-listen to him….I saw him in an 818 and he looks at home
    I want to see when you guys register for a SB 100 # on this one

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Which tank are you looking at? Link me
    Here it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Good choice, but remember FFR has a tall tank now too...
    Really? It wasn't an option when I finalized my order, and it's not listed under on the part website. Do you have any more info on it?

I'm still probably going to get the Boyd on sale, for the quality of construction and not having to muck with any of the internals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Really? It wasn't an option when I finalized my order, and it's not listed under on the part website. Do you have any more info on it?
    I hear it is still several months away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    All in, final payment rendered and accepted a few weeks back.

My pickup date has passed and the ball is in Stewarts court to pickup on the planned date 12/27 and ship to CA.

2014 starts with a bang. In January alone i'm getting a baby girl and an 818

Jan 6th should be the delivery date for my car.
    Jan 20th should be the delivery date for our baby.

2 feverish weeks to build my eyes out until my progress hits an eminent wall. With the exception of cleaning, i'm trying to do as much as possible to have my parts ready.

Progress and hurdles:

I never have removed a motor from the transmission or changed a clutch so this was uncharted territory for me. I hit 2 snags. First, there is a plug located behind the starter containing a 10mm hex. Remove it and take a 5 or 6mm bolt to thread inside the visible shaft and use it to slide the shaft out.Second, once all the nuts/bolts are removed from the bellhousing it takes a few flat-heads wedged between the motor & trans to get them apart.
    clutch-removal.jpg

After that is was straight forward.
    clutch.jpg

I still haven't been able to get the flywheel off. I need a good way to keep the motor from rotating. Removing the flywheel is my action item. I also am replacing the exhaust manifold and up/downpipes. I'm still researching the best way to wrap/insulate them
    engine.jpg

I didn't realize how much oil would spill setting my trans like this.
    transmission.jpg

Wilwood brakes arrived and gave me a taste of whats to come. It kicked up the excitement a notch
    willwood-818-brakes.jpg

I ran into 2 snags assembling the brakes. The first is the rear brakes not lining up with this peace to hold the calipers. My guess is my donor was a Frankenstein... an assortment of random parts. Wilwood is closed for the holidays so this one will have to wait for a bit to solve.
    willwood-818-brakes-rear-misized.jpg

The 2nd snag was the dust shield being the same diameter as the rotor and impeding its ability to completely mount. I am tempted to cut them off but will also wait to speak to Wilwood.
    willwood-818-brakes-rear-misized-rotor.jpg

My front lower arms were damaged from the donor so i purchased a set for $300 on eBay. I went for the 2006 aluminum's. I realized the ball joint had a different sized shaft between the two of them. Turns out i just need a cone shaped Boss Transverse Link, 20216Fa000 - tnx Mechie3
    lower-front-arms-.jpg

I removed the front outer cv joint, removed the ball bearings and cleaned out the grease.
    ballbearings.jpg

The front brakes/suspension is ready to go as far as i can tell
    willwood-818-brakes-spindle.jpg

Tasks:
    • Find exhaust solution with insulation and install it.
    • Figure how to get flywheel off
    • Determine best flywheel & clutch, purchase and install
    • Track down some electrical diagrams and try to make sense of this wiring harness. OMG
    • Get gaskets for EJ20 and attempt removing the intake manifold for an attempted TGV delete

I can't remember the last time i was this excited to get something. Time has slooooowed down because of the approaching arrival date.
    Last edited by Brando; 12-23-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Flywheel. You should be able to place a pry bar / screwdriver between the teeth of the flywheel and the block (on the bottom passenger side).

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with an ACT Streetlite flywheel (13.9 lbs, IIRC). It will be a while before I run it, so unfortunately I can't give you any firsthand feedback. It did seem to be highly recommended though (for street cars anyway).

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't realize how much oil would spill setting my trans like this.
    Did that with a '74 Cadillac Eldorado trans I had once. Excect the trans fluid was "burnt". And burnt transmission fluid stinks!

On the rear brake dust shields, just remove those with a spot weld remover. It's like a tiny hole saw. Use cutting fluid and don't go too fast or you'll burn up the spot weld removers teeth. You can get them to last a long time if you use a little lube and slow down. Shift your drill into high torque/slow mode and you won't have to worry about over doing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking Wilwood brake set up. Which kit did you end up using? 6/4 pot or 4/2 pot or?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
    Flywheel. You should be able to place a pry bar / screwdriver between the teeth of the flywheel and the block (on the bottom passenger side).
    Simple enough. I will try tonight thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    Did that with a '74 Cadillac Eldorado trans I had once. Excect the trans fluid was "burnt". And burnt transmission fluid stinks!
    I'm not sure if this fluid was burnt but is smells something fierce. I cleaned it up but the smell still lingers on. Its growing on me though because smelling it makes me think of the kit. Everything in my house and life is going PINK so this is the last bit of "tool time" left for me, smells included

Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    Nice looking Wilwood brake set up. Which kit did you end up using? 6/4 pot or 4/2 pot or?
    The 4 piston seemed more than adequate so i went with those.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I can't remember the last time i was this excited to get something. Time has slooooowed down because of the approaching arrival date.
    I hope when you found out you were having a baby

A suggestion for you, buy a master gasket set. You may not need them all but you will spend less than piecing together all the ones you need.

And change your valve cover gaskets while you are at it. If they are not leaking yet, they will be soon.
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 12-24-2013 at 06:44 AM.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can chisel or grind off the dust shield outer portion on the rear and simply unbolt them on the front. Did that on my DD without issue and saved a bit of weight.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Contact fate66 for the wiring diagrams for your model... very helpful!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    As the story has it, Stewart Transport had a truck go down last week so unfortunately my kit didn't get on a truck. It is now supposed to ship out this week on Jan 3rd and arrive the week of the 13th. I haven't started building yet and already doing some serious racing (baby vs kit)

kit2.jpg kit.jpg boxes.jpg

I found our ping pong table to make a great portable table. Sturdy, flat and easy to move around.
    garageTable.jpg

The advise given worked liked a charm and the flywheel is off and awaiting an ACT 14lb replacement and TGV delete.
    motorIntake.jpg

Fuel rails removed. I'm curious if these are the "green brackets of death" i keep hearing about. They seem to fit the bill.
    motorDiet.jpg

I am now waiting for 750cc injectors, Cusco motor/trans mount, full gasket set, agency fuel rail kit, stage 2 exedy clutch.
    I am on the fence if i should stroke the motor or not and which turbo to go with. I'm bringing the motor to Outfront Sports and getting some guidance today.
    Fateo66 was kind enough to forward wiring diagrams, which solidified my decision to go with Waynes harness. I'm going to cut up my harness today per his specs.
    Tick tock.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are indeed the GBOD.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    At least your spirits are still up, too bad about the delivery problems, but it will be here shortly. Congratulation on the other (more important) delivery too.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    That's kind of ironic about the truck. Mine was late because the TRAILER needed repair...

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!! I have the same completion date, and the same Stewart delay due to the break down. In Ohio they told me likely Jan 9-10 earlier today, with a pickup on the 6th. Congrats on the soon to arrive baby and the 818. Praying they both arrive safely and healthy. I'm hoping my 2-1/2 yr old is up for helping with my 818S. It'll be fun watching our builds progress. I am overdue to start my thread here, the holidays are a busy time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was delayed a week from a truck breaking down in Kentucky. Lol
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    As the story has it, Stewart Transport had a truck go down last week so unfortunately my kit didn't get on a truck. It is now supposed to ship out this week on Jan 3rd and arrive the week of the 13th. I haven't started building yet and already doing some serious racing (baby vs kit)

kit2.jpg kit.jpg boxes.jpg

I found our ping pong table to make a great portable table. Sturdy, flat and easy to move around.
    garageTable.jpg

The advise given worked liked a charm and the flywheel is off and awaiting an ACT 14lb replacement and TGV delete.
    motorIntake.jpg

Fuel rails removed. I'm curious if these are the "green brackets of death" i keep hearing about. They seem to fit the bill.
    motorDiet.jpg

I am now waiting for 750cc injectors, Cusco motor/trans mount, full gasket set, agency fuel rail kit, stage 2 exedy clutch.
    I am on the fence if i should stroke the motor or not and which turbo to go with. I'm bringing the motor to Outfront Sports and getting some guidance today.
    Fateo66 was kind enough to forward wiring diagrams, which solidified my decision to go with Waynes harness. I'm going to cut up my harness today per his specs.
    Tick tock.....

I have a three year old daughter and a second halfway out due in May. I also work 60 hours a week and have a side welding business. I find the time to build, so will you. Babies sleep a lot and your wife will to. Wake up early on weekends and do the quiet stuff and than when there up cut ,grind ,bang etc. Good luck with it all man Godspeed!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    Babies sleep a lot and your wife will to. Wake up early on weekends and do the quiet stuff
    That's reassuring because every guy friend in my life has been leading me to believe I will have little time for this project once I become a father, but I am gaining some confidence that I will still find some time to build. In fact its right now 4am PST and i'm up. So all i need now is the kit and instead of sitting in bed on my laptop I could be out in the garage putting in a good 4 hours before work..... (fades off into another 818 brainstorm binge) . The baby is going to be growing up above the garage, so i'm hoping the sounds coming from the garage end up being ambient noise that soothes my new baby girl, like blowing wind, as wishful as that may be.

It sounds like there have been a few problems with the transportation. I can't deny its a bit of a stinger when you schedule holiday travels around a failed delivery but i'm using the time to get ready...calming before the storm...building garage racks one minute and a bassinet the next. The contrast is amusing me to me. There seems alot of family oriented individuals on here, it's one of the many qualities I appreciate about this forum.

metalmaker: 60hr weeks with 2 kids and built a kit in a short time frame. I think you should consider offering time management classes, count me in that's amazing

Goldwing: My family came from Mentor, a hop skip away from you. I'm glad to learn about your tandem build. Start your thread or else I might start it for you

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    I have a three year old daughter and a second halfway out due in May. I also work 60 hours a week and have a side welding business. I find the time to build, so will you. Babies sleep a lot and your wife will to. Wake up early on weekends and do the quiet stuff and than when there up cut ,grind ,bang etc. Good luck with it all man Godspeed!!
    Ah to be young again... When my wife and I were newly married engineers I worked 80 hrs a week, she worked 60. We had two workers frame our 2000 sqft house, we did EVERYTHING else ourselves and moved in 6 months after the foundation was poured. I slowed down to finish the trim around a window each night. My super insulated solar house has 43 windows...

Now between my MS and I tweaked my back at 54 and it has cost me weeks of progress! It sucks to get old...

Those little girls grow up so fast! 17 year old Danielle is working on scholarship apps, cheering and is chomping at the bit to drive her Miata again, she hates the FWD Del Sol that she drives in bad weather and we have had nothing but bad weather for 3 weeks, almost continuos rain and snowy days.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Goldwing:...Start your thread or else I might start it for you
    Lol. Coming soon. I might just get it started with delivery pictures, but hopefully sooner.

Above the garage could present a few challenges with sudden, loud type noises, but a baby learns to live in his or her environment. We were told that and advised not to tiptoe around during naps, or they'll never learn to nap or sleep through noises. Whether or not our efforts contributed, I can't say, but ours does well whether its quiet or loud. I'm jealous of her, lol. Mentor is indeed close. Send any doublting Thomas family members this way once the build takes shape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just guessing by the silence, did the little one come early while waiting for the delayed 818? All good news I hope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The race is still on. Wifey looks like she is going to pop. I'm learning about all sorts of new baby stores I never knew existed. So funny walking around those places watching all the other guys as lost as I am. This isn't home depot anymore.

I spoke to Stewart today and my kit was picked up at the end of last week and is now in Ohio so there is a good chance it will make it here sometime this weekend. Speaking of Ohio, are you the reason they are there? You might be receiving your kit tomorrow no?

I finished building my chassis dolly this evening and started cleaning the build area. Clecos, rivet gun, several 11 & 30 sized drill bits are ready and waiting. I snipped apart my wire harness and shipped it off to Wayne for his ECU/harness replacement. For the motor I picked up a new killer-B baffle, pickup, pan, TGV delete, 750cc injectors, fuel rails, lightened flywheel and stg2 clutch. I'm undecided on turbo but leaning towards a smaller 16g. I hope to be mating the trans/motor before Friday. I also had to source a few rear spindles.

Other than that I'm patiently standing by...

One of the things I didn't do which it seems so many have is change my wheel bearings and change to arp wheel studs. Should I be concerned about this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you think you need bearings, than change them. With arp studs only of you feel you will need them cause of wheel offset etc. I bought wheels that did not really need much spacing if any.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Did you knock your axles out of the hubs yet? you will be able to feel it better once you do.

If you don't have a press, the Subie dealer can do new bearings for you. I think the going rate if you bring the knuckles in is about $250 parts and labor but talk to your local dealers.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes the axles are off the hubs. What am I looking for to determine if they need replacing?

Post Thanks / Like
    My thought: If you've already knocked the axles off the hubs, why not just go ahead and replace the bearings? Unless you know how many miles are on them, it's kind of a gamble - not in terms of safety, but in terms of when they will wear out and you'll need to do it. You've done half the labor already. How would you feel if you didn't replace them now, but needed to in 10K miles? Or 20K miles? I see it as piece of mind (to do it now), and more years of trouble free fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    I replaced the bearings on all 4 corners of mine. One of them clearly had water infiltration as exibited by some rust in the grease.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    I WISH I was the reason he was in Ohio, lol. No such luck yet. I called after the worst of the weather and got a weekend delivery timeframe. I only this week got the garage ready. It got pretty messed up while finishing a kayak build. The two projects have zero compatibility. Storing the woodworking tools, and readying the car tools was a project in itself. A screwdriver. That is the only tool I will use on both projects, lol. After this weeks weather, my wife wants her garage spot back, oh, I'm in trouble!

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast