Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Brando's Newbie 818R Build Thread

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    I don't suppose you left the parking brake on. .. LOL glad its not the transmission.

time to start heat treating these axles?
    They are already heat treated after the splines are cut
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    that's interesting, for a tempered piece that break looks like it was awfully brittle.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The splines won't live if they are not heat treated and they are too hard to broach after heat treating so they are cut then heat treated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I heard the axles were made by the driveshaftshop. If so, they could potentially makes us ones out of a stronger material. I don't know if these FF ones were the 300M material or not.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks as if broke right at the start of the spline where the axle is stepped. I didn't inspect mine for possible stress risers at the transition to splines. I wonder if Brando's and the axle that Wayne's customer broke could be from the same heat treat batch?? A thought. Will look forward to hearing the analysis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    that's interesting, for a tempered piece that break looks like it was awfully brittle.
    Typically when you heat treat a metal, the ultimate tensile strength goes up but it also makes the material more brittle. I'd be curious to know the hardness of the FFR axles but two similar failures like this sure seems ominous. I'm just glad it wasn't the trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    It looks as if broke right at the start of the spline where the axle is stepped. I didn't inspect mine for possible stress risers at the transition to splines. I wonder if Brando's and the axle that Wayne's customer broke could be from the same heat treat batch?? A thought. Will look forward to hearing the analysis.
    I have broken a number of Subaru axles over the years, and at least 70 percent were at that location. Far fewer on the inner cv side, and a few on the hub spline itself. With the DSS stage 5 axles with the larger diameter bar ( and bigger cvs ) you can push them much harder.

I suspect it will be time for a custom order with the bigger bar.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably a good idea for anyone running hard to add a line to the CV joints and shaft to watch out for twisting. Before it breaks.
    Here is a truck axle that shows what I'm talking about.
    Bob
    twisted shafts.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an FYI- I am already talking with a Company that I can send my extra set of axles to. So they can make them out of stronger material. I'll keep you updated on the progress. They have already said it would be simple. But it has me thinking, about changing spline count because of the damn CV roulette I had to play.

I also recall FFR making Chromoly axles for their 818R.....Hmmmmm
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 05-12-2015 at 09:11 AM.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    One way to look at it, it's cheaper to replace axles than transmissions.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I was thinking, it's like the shear pins on a snowblower.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    One way to look at it, it's cheaper to replace axles than transmissions.
    That is a good thought
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sponaugle View Post
    Impressive. Brando, would you like my axles? I am using the STI front axles, not the FFR provided ones... and I'll switch to a 6 speed at some point so I'll never use them. They are yours.
    Jeff
    Jeff, that is great. I was just about to call FFR to order them, i'm glad i checked in here first. I will PM you with details and please send me your paypal address and any associated costs to you and I will get that to you immediately. Much appreciated.

Wayne, did you customer state that his breakage occurred during regular driving or was he abusing his car?

I am running an exedy twin plate clutch and A7's and when it broke I had hit the shift hard as hard as humanly possible. I feel like hardening the axles will just shift the point of failure to something much more expensive. If i was building this to drag race then perhaps I would be more concerned. As it stands I see it the same as Jaime & Flytuna

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    Wayne, did you customer state that his breakage occurred during regular driving or was he abusing his car?
    I am running an exedy twin plate clutch and A7's and when it broke I had hit the shift hard as hard as humanly possible. I feel like hardening the axles will just shift the point of failure to something much more expensive. If i was building this to drag race then perhaps I would be more concerned. As it stands I see it the same as Jaime & Flytuna
    That is a philosophy that is not unheard of. I have some friends that track their STIs and they stick with the stock axles because those break before other things. They just carry spares with them.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Brandon does your clutch slave cylinder have the damper unit on the line and does the master cylinder have a damper on the bottom of it. Apparently subaru started to put these in place to buffer the clutch engagement. Mine is a 2005 and I already deleted the master cylinder damper and plugged it with a large bolt and was going to delete the slave damper, but now I'll be reluctant to do this. This might be a safety damper to slow clutch engagement and reduce the shock for those special times when we forget about the capability of the machine😉
    Here is a link to nasioc about this. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1855826
    Here is a picture of the unit.image.jpg

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post

He drives the piss out of the car, done a couple of track days and the car is making around 370 RWHP right now. Has done 411 RWHP at 23 psi, running 18 now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC7492 View Post
    Hi Brandon does your clutch slave cylinder have the damper unit on the line and does the master cylinder have a damper on the bottom of it.
    No damper unit on my master cylinder.

He drives the piss out of the car, done a couple of track days and the car is making around 370 RWHP right now. Has done 411 RWHP at 23 psi, running 18 now.
    Atta boy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Any update Brandon? Looking forward to seeing you back on the track!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Had to dust off my thread here. Since completing my kit I have had a few gremlins to chase, some I have tracked down and others resurface like a bad cold sore.
    Initially I spun a few rod bearings, but this last rebuild of my motor seems to be holding up nicely. Installed some gauges to keep my eye on oil pressure and temp. I have not seen a significant drop in pressure, but temps regularly run over 240 on hard driving > 5min. Last summer I snapped an axle but in fairness to FFR I dropped the clutch hard into 2nd and the tires bit so driver error on that.

A few weekends ago I snapped my shift linkage at an Autocross event. Yes the gym is paying off. I drove my 818 to the event so towing back was not an option and a tow truck isn't an option unless i have my race ramps. So I opted to put into 4th before my drive and just rode the clutch if I caught a red on my way to the freeway, which surprisingly only happened 1 time. I predicted a 1 hour job replacing it, but unfortunately the boyd tank didn't leave enough space to get the cable past so had to remove seats, console, firewall, tank for access.

A rouge zip tie also forced me to remove side panels. A few frozen hex bolts stripped and had to drill out, besides that was pretty uneventful. All in all took about 4 hours and it's out now and waiting for my replacement.

Overall I have been having a great time with the car and I finally have it setup where it feels very planted at the track. I still have quite of bit of time to shave off on my local tracks. All in due time as I continue to learn the limits.

Here is 1 lap at PCA AutoX event, followed by 1 lap at the Streets of Willow Springs. Good times.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks great Brando!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thumbs UP glad to hear you are back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brando: I bought Chad's 818R. I live in Hanford, CA. My car has been down since December (long story that others have heard), but hope to have it back up soon. Where do you live? I have done 5 track sessions with my car (before it broke) all at open track days at Buttonwillow (a little over an hour from my house). I'd love to know about another "R" in the area. Rob T

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see it back out Brandon!
    When we say to our customers "if there is anything you need, please ask," we mean it.
    iWire Subaru Wiring Services
    Over 100 Custom 818 Wiring Harnesses Built
    http://www.iwireservices.com/factory...18-wiring-kits
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Brando's 818R is up for sale in the For Sale Forum here as an eBay listing. As of this moment I am the high bidder but it hasn't topped the Reserve. I'm posting here to possibly drum up some more bidders for him. I don't have room for another car so am only interested in buying it at a ridiculously low price. Besides, I'd be racing against Retro! It really needs to go to a good home. Retro I think you need a backup car!

The eBay listing; the auction ends in 30 hours or Buy it Now for $25K. http://www.ebay.com/itm/322739477131...torefresh=true
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a STEAL!!!

It's unfortunate that the 818s haven't established the same kind of resale value as the Roadsters. People dump $40k+ into them and have to sell them for $25k. Just doesn't make sense to me. I know usually kit car builds aren't money makers, but they can be for the Roadsters, or even break-even at least. And the GTMs sell for a mint. The 818 has been out long enough to have wide press coverage by now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    That's a STEAL!!!

It's unfortunate that the 818s haven't established the same kind of resale value as the Roadsters. People dump $40k+ into them and have to sell them for $25k. Just doesn't make sense to me. I know usually kit car builds aren't money makers, but they can be for the Roadsters, or even break-even at least. And the GTMs sell for a mint. The 818 has been out long enough to have wide press coverage by now.
    It is a shame that cars of this caliber and built to such a high level can't even break even. I'm sure there's more than $25k invested in Brando's car.
    You'd be surprised how many people you'd think would know better haven't even heard of Factory Five let alone the 818.
    I was talking to the cable installer working at my house the other day, (he's a Subaru fanatic) he hadn't ever heard of the 818 nor FFR .
    I new this before taking the plunge in getting this kit, and don't expect to sell it unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I could sell my unstarted R kit, I would so buy this...

Post Thanks / Like
    The Reserve's been met at $16,000! Brando's car is going to sell. I wish I had room!
    Hmm, maybe if I store a car at Oregon Raceway Park....
    Ok, I'm high bid again at $16,100. I don't think it's going to stick!
    818R ICSCC SPM

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unbelievable. Sold for $16,100. Just doesn't make sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Unbelievable. Sold for $16,100. Just doesn't make sense.
    What?? No way.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    At least its going to be in good hands!

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy Cow! Yikes! I never thought my $16,100 bid would win!
    I'm so pumped to "really" join the 818 community as an owner! This is going to be awesome. Ya'll can be sure it will be raced next year and will also be available to rent as a track car at Oregon Raceway Park.

I think the value of these cars will start moving up when some of us start winning races and setting track records. Right now the 818 has a reputation as a DNF car. I want to be part of changing that to Championship winning cars.
    That will raise the value of all 818 cars.

So now I have an STI race car, Palatov D4 race/track car; an 818R race/track car, and a Corvette Z06. Something has to go.
    Brando, I'll call you tomorrow, I'm out of town at a wedding today. Thanks for making this possible.

Anybody want a very low mile 2009 Corvette C6 Z06 with 1.5 years of GMPP left on it?

Col Red 02172010 05.jpg
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 09-23-2017 at 12:23 PM.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the win! Glad it's going to someone who will really use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have Fun.
    It is too bad that the 818 have a reputation, my car has been rock solid and believe as more are running and sorted it will be a different story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent buy Gator! I'm just surprised you didn't have an 818 already. Take care of it!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see it go to someone on the forum who has contributed quite a bit......and is active in the racing world.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Gator: Welcome to the "second hand club" for the 818. I hope you have as much fun with yours as I am having with mine. I look forward to the day when we all have ours completely sorted out. Is a group track day somewhere/sometime in our future?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post

Anybody want a very low mile 2009 Corvette C6 Z06 with 1.5 years of GMPP left on it?

Col Red 02172010 05.jpg
    $16,100? I kid, I kid. Congratulations on the 818.

But seriously, $16,100......?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    My personal schedule only allowed me to make it to one autocross this year, and my personal abilities and set-up prevented me from being super competitive, but I was surprised at how many people knew what my car was and were interested in it.

This was at a North-West Ohio SCCA event, and the general reaction was that people just wanted to see one in person before they would ever consider taking the plunge themselves. So if you want your resale to go up - hit the track and let people poke around!

...$16,101 Bob...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone!
    We'll have 4 racing in the NW now. 2 of them are destined for the Thunderhill 25 Hour. It would be cool to get all of them together with our Californian friends someday. Possibly Thunderhill for a track day a few months before the 25?
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 09-25-2017 at 12:38 AM.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast