Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Brando's Newbie 818R Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Brandon,

Congrats on the VIN. Must be a thrill to drive it on the street... how's the wind with the short windscreen... you wearing a helmet or goggles?

good luck on the final hurdle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A helmet. That's a funny thought. No I couldn't even find my sunglasses so I just squinted, kept my mouth closed and distanced myself from cars in front.
    The short windshield does an impressive job cutting the wind. I drove the car without it and there was significantly more wind in my face.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats in the CHP inspection. Why would the belts be considered an issue by the refs? Keep us posted on how everything goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    Wheels:
    Enkei Kojin
    17x8 + 45 Front
    18x8.5 + 45 Rear

Tires:
    Hoosiers R6
    225/40-17 Front
    255/35-18 Rear

Currently running 12mm spacers front and back. Plan on removing the front and using 5mm on the back
    Thanks. On my car, I want the wheels and tires to tuck under a bit more than you've got yours set. Would you happen to have a picture of what it looks like with the spacers removed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I also want them tucked under a bit more. The rear tires hit the upper trailing arm with no spacers and come very close to Waynes lower trailing arm. I think at least a 5mm will be needed for the rears to work. With the 12mm they rub the fender slightly when cornering hard or going diagonally up a steep driveway.
    The fronts are too far out too for my visual preference. There isn't the same need for the spacers there to they are coming out. I will pull them off this weekend and shoot a few pictures, I don't have any without them yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't Mess with ME!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry I had to do a baby post. Keeps my lady happy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Lol, she's beautiful!!!!man
    We just did the same picture thing tues when he was a week old.
    I will post the boy to help ya.
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 05-16-2014 at 09:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    awesome pics of the baby Brandon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Congrats in the CHP inspection. Why would the belts be considered an issue by the refs? Keep us posted on how everything goes.
    the belts could be an issue because race seat belt are not DOT approved,and so technically not allowed in the street.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I also want them tucked under a bit more. The rear tires hit the upper trailing arm with no spacers and come very close to Waynes lower trailing arm. I think at least a 5mm will be needed for the rears to work. With the 12mm they rub the fender slightly when cornering hard or going diagonally up a steep driveway.
    The fronts are too far out too for my visual preference. There isn't the same need for the spacers there to they are coming out. I will pull them off this weekend and shoot a few pictures, I don't have any without them yet.
    Brandon, did you move the upper trailing arm fully inside, stack the spacers all on one side?

She's so cute!
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Heya wayne. No I didn't but was considering. How much space is acceptable from tire to lower trailing arm?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Heya wayne. No I didn't but was considering. How much space is acceptable from tire to lower trailing arm?
    I'd like to see .25" or more

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Is it bad to use two recovery tanks, one in the front on the radiator and one in the back on the fill tank?

I ran my fitting/hose to the top. There's a nice square boss on the casting on my 06 pipe that gives extra meat for threads to grip and seal against. I used a 90deg fitting because the turbo inlet runs over this pipe.

Mechie3, Wayne, Brando: this is my first Subie build and, as such, I am unfamiliar with the fully assembled cooling system. This is the outlet on the crossover pipe, right? Mine, too, has the convenient square boss on the top.

Thanks,

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bill, I feel ya. This is my first Subie experience and the cooling system took me a bit to get my arms around. I was scared of water lock from running a water to a vacuum.
    Yes to your question.

I pulled my turbo off today. My guess was right..here is the damage.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Waters View Post
    Mechie3, Wayne, Brando: this is my first Subie build and, as such, I am unfamiliar with the fully assembled cooling system. This is the outlet on the crossover pipe, right? Mine, too, has the convenient square boss on the top.

Thanks,

Bill
    Yes that is the water crossover/outlet.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bill, I feel ya. This is my first Subie experience and the cooling system took me a bit to get my arms around. I was scared of water lock from running a water to a vacuum.
    Yes to your question.

I pulled my turbo off today. My guess was right..here is the damage.

The center bearing is gone on that turbo Brando

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's a journal bearing and supposedly all the internals are new. Or this guy just totally worked me over.

Since it's a sleeve bearing this is totally fixable right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The internals could have not been new if you barely drove the car and have this problem. What turbo is this

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Brando, Wayne.

Brando: first, beautiful child. I envy you. Second, which turbo is that?

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Bill.

The turbo is supposedly a TD05 with MHI internals. This is what the guy said. When i get this thing rebuilt on Monday I will get the real scoop

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a journal bearing and supposedly all the internals are new. Or this guy just totally worked me over.

Since it's a sleeve bearing this is totally fixable right?
    You'll need a new compressor wheel and a new compressor housing too. Can't really fix those. The compressor and turbine wheels are precision balanced, allowing them to spin up to 150,000 RPM.

From your photo's it looks like the compressor housing wasn't seated correctly. Looks cocked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So would you guys fix this one or buy another one? What would your guesstimate be on this fix? $300?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'd really check to see if the oil feed line is clear and see if there is anything in the filter in the banjo bolt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    I'd really check to see if the oil feed line is clear and see if there is anything in the filter in the banjo bolt.
    Yeah a common issue with the subie oil feed lines. At first I thought this was my issue before my compression test.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I checked the banjo bolt & oil feed and oil seemed to be flowing fine. Before installing this turbo already had slop which i pointed out the guy after I purchased it. His solution was some taps with a mallet to center the compressor. That should have been a red flag but I went with it. Live and learn.

I forgot I had a new but lower quality TD05 turbo sitting around. This morning I woke up and pulled my bad turbo and replaced it with this new knockoff. The entire job took about 2 hours including the time it took to swap the pumbing. Although the compressor isn't as impressive the unit performed close to one I replaced. There was a slight power loss but the car still feels extremely quick.

Once working I shot over to Erik's and swapped some 818 insight. This was the first time taking the 818 on the freeway and it felt solid.
    A great way to spend a Sunday.

I am starting to think the tracking issues are related more to bump steer. On top of that the low profile tires, wide tires and stiff suspension also make for a car that pulls on uneven surfaces. The limits of this car are far to great to come close to finding on the street. I am very anxious to let it rip in a safe closed course environment.

Last edited by Brando; 05-18-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool to have another 818 build so close.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Before installing this turbo already had slop which i pointed out the guy after I purchased it. His solution was some taps with a mallet to center the compressor. That should have been a red flag but I went with it. Live and learn.

aa9bf1af990699edc671f5ea3fd1999e17e248510c9b2a1cb8dfe1148e5fc196.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup. It's awesome having Brando around. He went balls out on his body build (he's a body builder you know) and blew right past me when I was out on surgery recovery. Now I get to look at his and learn! Huge help. Rocky even took her first swim in our pool a couple of weeks ago. What a great baby. So cute.

I drove the R yesterday as well and man it's awesome when that turbo kicks in! THe front end got a little light and dodgy over the bumps under hard accel though. It's enough to start thinking bad thoughts that's for sure. I'm wondering if something a little softer in the front suspension might be helpful. Not sure if the shocks are on soft or not. He's checking into it.

e

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Brando did you verify your springs were correct? As per the other thread the 300s go up front and the 500s in the back, I had mine backwards (as did most) ... maybe that's part of the issue?

Looked at your early pictures but couldn't read them... but it looks like the thicker ones are up front. good thing its only a 20 minute job to swap the coilovers front to back.
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 05-20-2014 at 06:42 AM.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Brando did you verify your springs were correct? As per the other thread the 300s go up front and the 500s in the back, I had mine backwards (as did most) ... maybe that's part of the issue?
    Good eyes. You were correct. How did I miss that one? How did you miss that one?

So good, the nose will have more travel and the light feeling should improve. Nice call

Post Thanks / Like
    Good grief Charlie Brown!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It was like the 2nd thing I did when I got the kit and never looked back.
    Hey at least I didn't sweep it under the rug!

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How did you miss that one?
    I should have know better than to follow the instructions/parts list
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    The CHP check in CA seems mostly concerned with checking the VIN on the engine/trans donor to verify it's not from a stolen car. To complete my registration process I still have my last step which is an appointment with the CA Refs. They will be the ones I have to contend with on DOT related requirements. I don't see why the belts would be an issue...that's something I wasn't even considering. Time will tell.
    Just a heads up to everyone on this subject. Subaru does not put a VIN on the engine/trans so there is no way to tell whether it was stolen or not. The numbers stamped are just part numbers to track what type of vehicle it came from, not the physical car it came out of.
    When we say to our customers "if there is anything you need, please ask," we mean it.
    iWire Subaru Wiring Services
    Over 100 Custom 818 Wiring Harnesses Built
    http://www.iwireservices.com/factory...18-wiring-kits
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had the company who sold me the motor put the Vin on the invoice and the officers used that invoice to determine the donor VIN

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I followed Chad's Bump steer guide (thank you!) to install my Baer bumpsteer kit. I also noticed tire wear that would indicate too much toe in. I took a few degrees out and the car tracks very well now. There still is a slight tendency to track left under heavy acceleration at high speeds but its minor. Visually looking at the rear i feel there is too much toe in so I plan on playing with the setup some more.

I finished off all the aluminum paneling with the exception of the rear splash guards. Times like these a lift would be a huge help, it's so awkward trying to drill and rivet from under the car. Glad it's behind me.

I notched out the front splitter to slide it forward 3" and that made for a great position to support the front splash guard. I also mounted the side valence.

I drove the car for about 3 hours yesterday in 1 hour blocks, coming home in between and fixing ticks. Most all the rattles are gone. All the tire rubbing is also gone except the outside of the fronts on heavy cornering. It's rubbing so much its sending smoke out of the fenders. I feel the front is a little soft anyhow, so I am going to tighten up the springs a bit and remove the 3mm spacers from the front. The backs seem fine with the 5mm and tire rub back there has gone away.

The car feels very stable to drive now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good man. I plan on painting the inside with the bedliner black when I do the splash guards so it's all black underneath. how about you? BTW, it's not all behind you: you still still have to help me do mine. Beer included.
    Last edited by ehansen007; 06-02-2014 at 01:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Will work for Beer

Bedliner black it is, I don't care for how much the aluminum pops in the wheel well. It's distracting and tacky. Build session this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure, bring it over Sunday and we can do both. I should have enough as it's spreads pretty well.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast