Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coil over upgrade

Post Thanks / Like

Question Coil over upgrade

I have a couple questions about changing my MKI to coil over.

First I do not have the brackets shown in the instruction pictures for the bottom of the coil over mount.
    here are the pictures of the brackets and how i mounted it:

Mounted:

I bought shorter grade 8 bolts to use so it does not stick out like the picture shows.
    The top is mounted as shown in the instructions.

Second question is on the shocks themselves. Is there supposed to be a way to keep the threaded section from turning while i adjust the ring that the spring rest on. It seems that it should be solider but looks like the pictures.
    Here it is in the car:

Thanks

Jim

Tech Manager, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jim,

I think you'll be quite pleased with the Konis, especially if you didn't have coilovers to begin with!

From the photos, you'll want to do a couple of things differently before you get back on the road:

The original method of mounting a coilover on those brackets involved a grade 8 bolt in single shear with a spacer (about 1 1/8" long) to keep the coilover away from the rear end housing. The stock bracket in the photos will likely not provide the necessary clearance.

An alternative method (considerably stronger) would be to replace your traction-lok brackets - the ones that bolt to the rear and and connect to the control arms. This mounts the shocks in double shear, and they're extremely durable.

In any case, you'll want to change to one of these two methods and not drive the way they're mounted now. Give a call (508) 291-3443 and we can go over some other details if you'd like.

Also - there's no locking mechanism for the threaded sleeve, so to adjust, you'll want to make sure the weight is off the spring and maybe grease the collar so that it moves freely along the threads.

Thanks,

Jason @ FFR

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jim ,
    I'm over in Burton, Mi . I have those brackets you can have. When I converted my first FFR 2796 , a guy named Rob put together a pkg from proshock when FF used them . We used the grade 8 bolts with spacers like Jason stated. If you need them I got them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still trying to finish my coil over upgrade. Got the new brackets. Passenger side installed withou a hitch. Drivers side the holes just aren't lining up. No matter which order I do them in I cannot get the two on the sides and the one in the rear to all line up. I have jacked the axel up and down pryed this way and that with a pointed pry bar in the holes ect. Seems like the two short bolt holes are too far to the front of the car on the new bracket. Over a half a hole off. I can tweek it to get two of the three lined up with alot of prying. Cant get the third close.
    Should I ream out the holes on the bracket and or the holes on the axle mount or send it back and get another?
    Wish I saw your post before I paid $195 for them JAB would have paid you for yours...