Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anybody pressing their own bearings and bushings?

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody pressing their own bearings and bushings?

Had asked if anyone had some tricks for this. Decided to get the HF 99 buck bearing press and puller after a few videos and some additional research. We'll see how it goes…..
    Last edited by cmcintyre; 12-02-2013 at 09:52 PM.
    " That which is rightly done, however humble, is noble." Sir Henry Royce

SN 46 In the building 10/4/13.
    Go Cart 10/20/16
    Coupe Conversion
    EJ205 Wagon donor

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    For anyone reading this thread after the fact, be careful of trying to replace the bushings in the rear hubs. They are the ones that the trailing arms attach to and require some kind of reduction sleeve for proper installation. you'll probably want to or have to take this to a shop to get it done. everything else is pretty straight forward, all lateral links trailing arm bushings and LCA bushings can be pressed in/out easily with a press and some lube (careful not to use anything that will eat away at your bushings) Hydraulic press works really well but the HF kit does the trick too (required for the front bushings on the LCA's because of access restrictions).

Post Thanks / Like
    I just used the old bearing race to press in the new one. Cut a few reliefs on the side so it would come out easier.
    Worked like a charmbearing tool.jpg
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with the HF press and Jerome posted the threads I followed. Once i did the first one it all made sense.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    For anyone taking the rear upright apart, i.e., removing the lower bushing (back rear trailing arm bushing), just toss it when you are done. Whiteline has the two part bushing, though you will need to bend out the tabs on the trailing arm to get it installed, it seems very stiff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, for installation of the bearings in the upright. Harbor freight sells a nice seal press set. All the disks aare aluminum. Just use a slide hammer to take bearing out. Go to home depot and buy an 8" long bolt that fits through the middle of the HF seal press disks. Take the inner bearing half out of the wheel bearing so that you can only press the outer bearing sleeve. You can easily pull the bearing into place by using two of the HF seal disks and tightening your 8" bolt.