BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bonding the roof scoop

Post Thanks / Like

Bonding the roof scoop

Hey guys,

I was wondering what folks have used to bond parts like the roof scoop to the roof. It will not be that easy to use resin and glass matt all the way down the length of the scoop from the inside. A layer of glass from the top would work. I want to feather in the edges so the scoop looks like its a continuous part of the roof. I am worried that after some time I will see stress cracks other flaws that will ruin the paint. Anyone have a proven solution? Thanks.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    3M makes some great two part bonding agents for this. We just used one today to glue my aluminum trough to the cockpit ceiling. I will try to stop by the bodyshop on the way home to see what my guy is using to bond my scoop to the roof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys,

I was wondering what folks have used to bond parts like the roof scoop to the roof. It will not be that easy to use resin and glass matt all the way down the length of the scoop from the inside. A layer of glass from the top would work. I want to feather in the edges so the scoop looks like its a continuous part of the roof. I am worried that after some time I will see stress cracks other flaws that will ruin the paint. Anyone have a proven solution? Thanks.

John

Hi John,

I have an "Old School" method that I used in the dark ages.

PM me if you want the details

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend the 3M 8115 panelbonding adhesive. They also make some stuff specifically for bonding fiberglass (8219), but the problem I have with it is it only gives you 30 minute work time and it never really gets hard to the point where you can sand it......it always stays a bit "rubbery". 30 minutes may sound like a long time until you have to mix the stuff and spread it out over a half acre and get your part located and the excess trowelled out all in 30 minutes......in my experience, it starts stiffening up around 20 minutes. The 8115 I've never had a problem with and it cures hard and you can sand it down like bodyfiller, and has 90 minute work time. The roof has little to no flex in it, especially after you bond the scoop to it, so I don't think you're going to see problems with stress cracks anywhere.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    I would recommend the 3M 8115 panelbonding adhesive. They also make some stuff specifically for bonding fiberglass (8219), but the problem I have with it is it only gives you 30 minute work time and it never really gets hard to the point where you can sand it......it always stays a bit "rubbery". 30 minutes may sound like a long time until you have to mix the stuff and spread it out over a half acre and get your part located and the excess trowelled out all in 30 minutes......in my experience, it starts stiffening up around 20 minutes. The 8115 I've never had a problem with and it cures hard and you can sand it down like bodyfiller, and has 90 minute work time. The roof has little to no flex in it, especially after you bond the scoop to it, so I don't think you're going to see problems with stress cracks anywhere.
    Hi Shane.

Of course you can never go wrong with 3M. Thanks for the info on the practical use of each type of adhesive. Thats exactly what I was looking for. I dont mind paying for the adhesive, but its sort of a killer to pay 75 bucks for the dispenser. I am sure the dispenser is worth it if you are going to use the thing professionally where time is money. It just looks a lot like something a hardware store would have for 5 bucks. Anybody aware of a cheaper solution then the 3M dispenser?

I know this is a professional system and sometimes you just need to pay the price of admission. Just wondering if their are other options.

Thanks.
    John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013