BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gen II Home in Western Maryland

Post Thanks / Like

Gen II Home in Western Maryland

I picked up my GTM at F5R this past Saturday! It seemed like forever for the pick-up day to arrive, let alone driving 11 hours to get to Wareham. The trip went very well and, of course, the high point was meeting and talking with Dave Smith and his outstanding staff. Jason was quite patient and answered my long list of questions and provided a shop tour. Eddie did a great job packing way more boxes than I thought possible into the Tahoe. Kudos to the entire Factory Five Team for your exceptional products and hospitality.

A visit to F5R is highly recommended!

Karl
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. And it looks like roadsters are still big sellers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool and congrats! Cant wait for my turn. Did everything else fit in the Tahoe? Just planning delivery vs. pickup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats your going to have a fun time. Keep us posted and don't forget no question is a dumb question.

Keep the pictures and video coming, more the better

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by futureGTMdaddy View Post
    Very cool and congrats! Cant wait for my turn. Did everything else fit in the Tahoe? Just planning delivery vs. pickup.
    The Tahoe seemed more roomy on the way up. Had to be careful and pack light for the trip, however, I was prepared to leave my gym bag, coolers, food, etc and "navigator" in Mass to make room for all the boxes. Had to rely on the side mirrors on the way home...for some reason, cars would linger beside the trailer when passing...

Since Illinois is more than a "day" trip, delivery may be preferred (still stiff). Good luck with your GTM.

Karl

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Presto51 View Post
    Congrats your going to have a fun time. Keep us posted and don't forget no question is a dumb question.

Keep the pictures and video coming, more the better

Ron
    Is your GTM finished? I saw in the other forum that you are East of my location. I was wondering about issues with inspection and registration. And...yes, I will probably drive everyone crazy with questions...

Karl

Post Thanks / Like
    Karl,

Presto51 (Ron) has been helping me with my build (#327, delivered late August 2010). We are a bit east of you - just a bit too far for an easy drive. Anytime you're in the area feel free to drop in. I'll PM you my number. As for inspection and registration, I'm still several months away. I've talked it over with some good guys at the MVA and it seems straightforward - but we'll really only know once we've got the papers in hand.

Maybe you'll beat me to it!

And serious congrats on the new addition to your family!

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Build Progress

Thought that I'd post a progress report on my build.
    1) Parts are being confirmed against packing list and strategically placed all over the house.
    2) Panel fitment including marking/drilling and weld grinding about 1/4 complete. Preparing for powder coating, although I'm considering coating the panels with POR-15 products.
    3) Trial fitting of power steering system in-process. A few notes regarding the power rack worth noting (if these are stated in other threads...my apologies).
    3a) The driver side forward attach bracket on the frame requires grinding to provide rack clearance.
    3b) When installing the rack extenders (to correct bump steer); the 1/8 dia spring pins in the pivot shaft nuts are only 5/16 inch long and don't go thru the main shafts (see picture). While trying to drill the spring pins out with a 7/64 drill, they readily broke loose and were removed via a awl with a fine thread on the tip (a small screw may work) and needle nose pliers. Go easy trial fitting the rack extenders to avoid lock-up and thread galling. One extension fits well, however, the other is going to require some massaging to fully seat. I will finish the rack extension install with threadlocker and pinning of all threaded joints. Also in process of machining a set of aluminum rack mounts to replace the polyurethanes since the car will be an autocrosser. HTH.

Karl
    GTM #362

Will add next post with rack extenders photos...

Post Thanks / Like

Photos of Rack Extenders

Can only post a few pictures per thread...