FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IMPORTANT : Registration and New Member Functionality PLEASE READ

Post Thanks / Like
    I Have been a member here since Feb. 2011, and I have 11 posts. I guess I'll reach the 20 requirement around 2017. Let me know where to send the dollar. I don't do pay pal. I guess I could type "welcome" 25,000 times.
    Last edited by ron stebles; 01-08-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    its too bad this has to be done! but we all understand we are all behind you. thankyou

Post Thanks / Like
    The pay pal payment could be refunded or applied to a purchase, the amount doesn't matter, a penny or a dollar can both be tracked.

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI, As a newer member, I would gladly pay a buck if it helps maintain the quality of the forum or makes the job of administration easier. I recommend using it for the administrator's beer & pizza fund.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    We have implemented rules today for the general protection of the forum.
    For new members with less than 20 posts these restrictions are as follows:

• You do not have access to your blog.
    • You cannot post a new thread in the FOR SALE classifieds. You can still create a new thread in the WANTED portion of the classifieds. Posting a FOR SALE thread in a WANTED classified forum will be treated as a direct attempt to circumvent the rules and you WILL be penalized, up to and including a temporary or permanent ban.
    • You can't create a pic album.
    • You can't create a group of post new threads to a group. You can still post to existing group threads.
    • You cannot update your profile or have a signature.
    • You cannot have a custom title
    • Calendar access is restricted (Thanks for the catch kwb160!)
    • The registration process now includes Biography as a required field which has to be filled with something literate. In addition, all new members are now moderated before they can post their first post. This may add a delay between registering and being able to post.

After you reach 20 posts, your account will be transitioned to another group that has these restrictions removed. We had to take this measure to better fight the ongoing problem of spam.

As always, comments are welcome.

PS New Supporting Vendors are exempt from these restrictions.
    I did not know of this rule, now it makes sence, smart way to fight the ongoing problem of spam, I never saw this in other forums... Thanks for your time and quick responce

Post Thanks / Like
    good rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi David,
    I know this is primarily a Factory Five site, But I would like to share my experience on my new project with everyone if possible. Other site is getting waaay to political to enjoy.
    I recently ordered an Ultima GTR Kit from England, it should be here in about 12 weeks.
    If it is possible can you set up a section for NON-FFR builds?
    If not I understand.
    Cheers,
    Bob Scocca
    CLASS OF 2009 # 79 FFR MK 3.1, # 6898, Complete kit arrived 02/07/09, roller 03/30/09, first start 07/14/09, Registered 10/14/09, PPG Orange Glow over Sterling silver,427W Kieth Kraft (561hp)

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you." -Jeremy Clarkson

http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/rscocca/

Post Thanks / Like
    NEW REQUIREMENT PLEASE NOTE:

Sorry guys, I'm reviewing all registrations anyway and am still deleting spam posts every day (folks on the forum never see them, but the mods do). Hopefully stepping in between registration and first post will kill the majority of that spam so I've added the following:

The registration process now includes Biography as a required field which has to be filled with something literate. In addition, all new members are now moderated before they can post their first post. This may add a delay between registering and being able to post.

I've added the new requirement to the first post in this thread.

Thanks for your continued understanding and support of our efforts!

I can see the need for most of this however, if you jump through all these hoops, do you really need to moderate a first post? geeshhhh......

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for the record, the above was my second post (not first as shown). . . this is my third. First one is in never never land.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I came into this thread to post something else and see that I didn't submit my reply that I had written up to Gary so...

Gary,

The new user moderation has been very successful in further weeding out spammers. And yes, if your first post has a link in it, it gets routed to moderation automatically. That rule has caught spam in the past and helps keep the site clean. Your first post was approved just about the same time as you posted your comments. I do think that once you get through registration that some of the rules above can be relaxed a bit, like the automatic routing of linked posts to moderation. I don't publish the number but it could come down a bit. Sorry you're first posts had to be what they were but welcome to the forum!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rscocca View Post
    Hi David,
    I know this is primarily a Factory Five site, But I would like to share my experience on my new project with everyone if possible. Other site is getting waaay to political to enjoy.
    I recently ordered an Ultima GTR Kit from England, it should be here in about 12 weeks.
    If it is possible can you set up a section for NON-FFR builds?
    If not I understand.
    Cheers,
    Bob Scocca
    Bob, we know that many FFR builders sometimes have other builds or hobbies and we encourage you to share those with us. Whether it's about building a plane, boat, guitar, Ultima GTR, whatever, those kinds of topics are interesting and welcome as long as you at least own or have owned a Factory Five. The exception is a Smyth, which I feel would not be inappropriate on this forum.

Use the OT forum for your thread and post away!

EDIT: PS That doesn't mean that if you are a future builder or dreamer you can't post about other topics too! Bob is referring to a build thread, which is usually very long and spread out over time.

PPS: If enough of these thread accumulate over time, a separate sub-forum may be required. But not at this time.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave,
    I am a current owner of an FFR Roadster.
    You may remember me as the Orange cobra guy who bought breakfast at the open house.
    Cheers,
    Bob Scocca
    CLASS OF 2009 # 79 FFR MK 3.1, # 6898, Complete kit arrived 02/07/09, roller 03/30/09, first start 07/14/09, Registered 10/14/09, PPG Orange Glow over Sterling silver,427W Kieth Kraft (561hp)

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you." -Jeremy Clarkson

http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/rscocca/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bob you big dummy, like I don't remember you! You're ride has so many interesting things about it! And I voted for it in several categories at the open house. I bet you're pretty freakin' excited about the Ultima and I can't wait to see some pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know I am a little late to the thread but I would have had no problem paying $1 to $5 to sign up. You spend more than that just in the mail outs of the lititure and the CD. The information available on this website is absolutely essential if someone hopes to sucessfully complete the construction of one of your cars. The users save a great deal of money just knowing what items to buy when they need a part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi James here. Looking for advice /opinions. Looking to build a roadster And trying to decide on mod motor donor car or fox body. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah.. I was wondering why I couldn't update my profile, location, etc.. and now I know

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We are seeing an uptick in bogus registrations so I want to reiterate: If you register for the site and don't put something related to this site in the Bio field your account will be deleted. I've had to recreate a user because they simply put their town in the bio, which spammers do all the time. He contacted me after his account disappeared. I'll update the first post of this thread and the registration page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bump, so folks can be reminded that:

We are seeing an uptick in bogus registrations so I want to reiterate: If you register for the site and don't put something related to this site in the Bio field your account will be deleted. I've had to recreate a user because they simply put their town in the bio, which spammers do all the time. He contacted me after his account disappeared. I'll update the first post of this thread and the registration page.

Post Thanks / Like
    David
    Thanks for keeping the site on a positive path. We have very few snarky posts or successful spammers and that is in no small part due to the webmaster and moderators we have on board. Thanks to all of you.
    I would have no problem making a donation to join anywhere from the token $1 to $20 for CF etc. but the payment method would be problematic.

I have no desire to create or keep a paypal account and would use it for no other purpose anyway. I get that the money is likely a great gatekeeper move but options for payment and verification could get cumbersome and I can't see adding even more tasks for our webmaster. Maybe you could make all new applicants purchase one of the FF coloring books that were done as a fundraiser for CF, if that's legal and then grant access based on the list from FF shipping??
    Thoughts??
    Dale Berry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Dale,

I really don't want to put any monetary burden on anyone just to join the site. The measures we have in place now haven't allowed any spammers to post because everyone is audited before they are allowed to. I am thinking about setting up a way for folks to voluntarily support the site though. That would probably be handled through the FFR parts catalog, or we could probably set it up here...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dale,
    I really don't want to put any monetary burden on anyone just to join the site.
    I fully agree with that because it will keep some visitors from joining no matter how low the buy in. So far your methods are working very well, but spammers are
    always looking for a new path so IF you are forced to change it at some point my suggestion would be the most acceptable to me YRMV
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Dave. Is there any way to grandfather some of us who have a limited posting record but who are both FFR owners and have been members for several years. I joined this site in 2011 and since then have probably signed on hundreds of times. Likewise my visits where I did not sign in are probably equal to the sign-ins. Secondly, my 33 hot rod kit (#424) was delivered the end of March 2012. I feel anyone who is a documented FFR owner should not be burdened with these new rules. They should have full access to the site. For example I have an FFR suspension item I would like to sell but will not be able to post it until I have 20 posts. I also don't post a lot as I am very inexperienced and really have nothing of importance to offer to the more talented folks who are building these fantastic cars.

Any reconsideration of the current policy for FFR owners would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Gustafson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bob,

Absolutely. I'll be happy to promote anyone, by request, who can demonstrate that they've been on the site a while and is a current FFR owner.

I'll be honest and say it's not automatic though. I'll go through your posts and make a judgement call on whether to promote a person.

I've promoted you so you should have full access now.

Anyone else who would like to be promoted, send me a PM or ask in this thread.

HTH,

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, thanks for a second look at this issue. I appreciate your flexibility - not married to a one size fits all. I'm also registered on the other site as SeniorCitizen if you need to look at more posts by me. I'm hoping to go-cart in the next month or so and at that time I will begin a thread to document my build experiences. My posts will be from the viewpoint of a relatively inexperienced builder, will cover the many issues encountered in this build and the steps taken to resolve the problems. I definitely appreciate your efforts as Admin. Thanks again.

Bob G

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No problem Bob, glad to help.

I'm looking forward to seeing your build come togeter on the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    You say "You can't create a pic album". I was getting ready to create a build thread. Does this mean I can't post picture to my build thread until I make 20 posts???

Post Thanks / Like
    David, I haven't posted anything yet, but don't know where to go to change my password. Any help? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Bruce,

Click on "Settings" in the upper right-hand corner of the site.

Then under "My Settings" on the left hand side of the screen there should be a link called "Edit Email and Password".

From there you should be able to set a new password.

HTH,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Westview View Post
    You say "You can't create a pic album". I was getting ready to create a build thread. Does this mean I can't post picture to my build thread until I make 20 posts???
    My question was never answered. So I went ahead and created my build thread. Pictures that I upload from my computer show up as links. I want them to have thumbnails like I see in other posts. Do they show up as links because I haven't made 20 post yet or is there some other reason?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Westview, I switched over your account so you should have access to albums, your profile, etc.

If your pics aren't showing up still they may be too big. At this point the largest we support is 1900x1900 or (I believe) 2mb

HTH,

Post Thanks / Like
    I am just seeing this after I inquired a few days ago about why I couldn't do anything and never received a response

Definitely disappointing...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by christenfreedman View Post
    I am just seeing this after I inquired a few days ago about why I couldn't do anything and never received a response

Definitely disappointing...
    Yes but you did find this stickied thread that is at the top of the Introductions forum so I'm glad your questions have been answered. If I missed your inquiry I do apologize.

Oh and I see you have more than 20 posts so you are good to go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Westview, I switched over your account so you should have access to albums, your profile, etc.

If your pics aren't showing up still they may be too big. At this point the largest we support is 1900x1900 or (I believe) 2mb

HTH,

David,

Thank you! It appears the file size is the problem. I replaced some pictures with lower resolution and they showed. But now I have a different issue. The pictures I replaced are showing up as attachments that I don't seem to be able to delete. Since I can delete them I can't replace the rest of the pictures because they are being counted in the total number of attachments. Is there a way to fix this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I guess I need to get my count up a little before I can really use the site to its full potential! Lame but understandable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    bump for the new guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand now. Thanks David.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have implemented rules today for the general protection of the forum.
    For new members with less than 20 posts these restrictions are as follows:

• You do not have access to your blog.
    • You cannot post a new thread in the FOR SALE classifieds. You can still create a new thread in the WANTED portion of the classifieds. Posting a FOR SALE thread in a WANTED classified forum will be treated as a direct attempt to circumvent the rules and you WILL be penalized, up to and including a temporary or permanent ban.
    • You can't create a pic album.
    • You can't create a group of post new threads to a group. You can still post to existing group threads.
    • You cannot update your profile or have a signature.
    • You cannot have a custom title
    • Calendar access is restricted (Thanks for the catch kwb160!)
    • The registration process now includes Biography as a required field which has to be filled with something literate. In addition, all new members are now moderated before they can post their first post. This may add a delay between registering and being able to post.

EDIT: Let me reiterate: If you register for the site and don't put something related to this site in the Bio field your account will be deleted.

After you reach 20 posts, your account will be transitioned to another group that has these restrictions removed. This can take up to an hour after you reach 20 posts. We had to take this measure to better fight the ongoing problem of spam.

EDIT: Please note, posting items for sale should always be limited to the classifieds, and continued posting of for sale items in the classifieds - beyond extra parts floating around in your garage for example - may result in you being flagged as a commercial vendor. All commercial vendor postings are confined to supporting vendors. If you are interested in becoming a supporting vendor on our site please see this page for more information:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/conte...rs-Information

As always, comments are welcome.

PS New Supporting Vendors are exempt from these restrictions.
    So, please pardon my stupidity...

Since I registered in 2012, I am not a new member (even though I have never posted)?

I don't remember if I filled out a "bio", but now I can't seem to update my profile.

I would like to start a build thread to pay back a bit, since I have benefited greatly from the wisdom here.

Thanks, John, 818R #154

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi John,

You registered before the bio requirement was implemented so it doesn't apply to you.

I'll update your registration so you can put your pics up and update your profile. I would like you to respect our classifieds rules please. This will be "on your honor".

By the time you read this your status should be updated.

I look forward to reading your build thread!

Post Thanks / Like
    That helps, I was wondering what was going on, I usually like to do a bio/signature so folks know where I'm at. I did post a link in my welcome post, but it was a video of the car I just bought, so I guess it was okay.

I won't uselessly post to other threads...but I suppose with this one I now have three going for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm on a few forums on a variety of subjects and personally I like the restrictions. The spammers ruin everything they touch, thanx for running this forum properly, in the tradition of quality of FF...b

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast