FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: MRG MotorSports 818S Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I think if your shifter was any shorter your only choice would be an auto trans. Lol
    Hi Craig,
    The shifter and tunnel really worked out pretty good. By keeping the cables just below the surface, it turned out very clean looking.
    Now I have to figure out how to use all that extra space in the tunnel.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Working on my rear bumper today.
    Bob

Attached Images Attached Images
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the clearance gage for the transmission! TPS(Three Paint Stick) is more than adequate!!

Post Thanks / Like

Do I install wheel well sheet metal???

As you can see a couple of post up. I have not install my wheel well sheet metal.
    What are the pros and cons of this?
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Pros are the splash guards will protect the hoses from any flying debris from the tires, and it also blocks dirt/rocks from getting into the door area. The rear splash guards should also keep the engine bay much cleaner. We were not able to fully install the front splash guards (still working on a good solution) because the tires hit the plate that goes in front of the coolant hoses (and we are running 215's in the front). Fitment is also poor in general and requires trimming.
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ Ditto. Keeps things clean, keeps rocks out of things. My Fmod has no fenders and rocks are always getting into the cockpit, the side pods, etc.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamra View Post
    Pros are the splash guards will protect the hoses from any flying debris from the tires, and it also blocks dirt/rocks from getting into the door area. The rear splash guards should also keep the engine bay much cleaner. We were not able to fully install the front splash guards (still working on a good solution) because the tires hit the plate that goes in front of the coolant hoses (and we are running 215's in the front). Fitment is also poor in general and requires trimming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    ^^ Ditto. Keeps things clean, keeps rocks out of things. My Fmod has no fenders and rocks are always getting into the cockpit, the side pods, etc.
    I understand the rock thing. My side sails tend to fill up.
    Tamra, I'll have to show how to fix the front wheels. I'm running R888 235-40/17 on 9" 48ET rims with no rubbing (street ride height)

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you running spacers on your steering rack?

I have a similar setup but I had to put spacers on my rack to reduce the amount of steering so I don't rub.
    "aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines" - some old dude

"Shut up! I know what I'm doing" - some angry finn

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember your previous post where you said you had no rubbing after "Over the last couple of weeks we changed ride height, roll center, suspension mounting points. springs rates, shock length, ball joint length, shock bump stops, camber gain and all the alignment parameters."

So which one resulted in no rubbing? lol
    Tamra
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 508wrx View Post
    Are you running spacers on your steering rack?

I have a similar setup but I had to put spacers on my rack to reduce the amount of steering so I don't rub.
    I remember your previous post where you said you had no rubbing after "Over the last couple of weeks we changed ride height, roll center, suspension mounting points. springs rates, shock length, ball joint length, shock bump stops, camber gain and all the alignment parameters."

So which one resulted in no rubbing? lol
    Tamra and 508wrx
    Add 48 ET wheels to the list.
    That all worked together to prevent rub, prevent body roll, keep best tire patch, full turning radius, good handling.

When we went on our 40 mile trip, it was pretty harsh on pot holes.
    May need to loose some tire pressure.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    In many places the aluminum is too short! What about that rectangular hole in the back? My seam barely meets the edge, I made aluminum plates and riveted them over the holes.

I also want to understand your wheel sizes and "mods" to fit. I'd love to runs 17s front and back
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like

Michael is learning

Not only did Michael learn how to weld on this project. He can now spray paint and drink at the same time.
    Bob

P1050630s.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG, that bumper is massive!
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a pretty serious bumper. Are you planning to keep it installed on the car?
    Tamra
    First autocross 3/29/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    OMG, that bumper is massive!
    That is a pretty serious bumper. Are you planning to keep it installed on the car?
    Yes it is.
    Safety first, it will stay on, 40lbs rear and 30lbs front. Rasmus is going to hate me.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Passed OHIO STATE inspection today

Today was a pretty good day. Took the 818 back to the state inspection facility with the new bumpers installed.
    WE PASSED
    I thought we would get our VIN plate today, then to the title office, then to DMV for plates.

But not so quick. The VIN plate has to come from the state capital in Columbus. 3 to 5 days.
    So maybe street legal by next weekend.

On the bumper issue. The inspector mentioned that some come in with 3/4" bars. He said "that doesn't cut it".
    Future Ohio builders beware.

The Drive.
    40 miles at 52F. Tamra, I am getting no engine heat in the cockpit.
    About 6-7 people ask me what it was. I told the first couple that it was a Factory Five kit car. They wanted that explained.

Then I change my story to "It's Homemade" They responded "Wow, looks great" the conversation ended as they didn't know what to ask next.

The Car
    Gas gauge was at 1/8 so I stopped for gas. Took 10 gallons so there was 3 left, Perfect.

Our 600 lbs rear springs are pretty harsh for street driving.

I'm pretty nervous going down the road next to a semi.

The windshield blocks the wind from hitting you unless there is a decent cross wind.

I need to move my turn signal switch next the shifter.

I can't adjust my side mirrors while strapped in.

235 front tires are wider than needed on the street.

Cop followed me for a couple of blocks with no plates on the car, But didn't stop me.

That's enough for now.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-02-2015 at 02:23 PM.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    First: CONGRATS!

Second:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    I'm pretty nervous going down the road next to a semi.
    That's really funny.... the 818 is so small and low that when behind the wheel, I bet it seems that any collision would result in getting driven over instead of just getting smashed into.

Post Thanks / Like
    GR8 Bob, Congrats!
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright!

Post Thanks / Like
    whoo hoo, congrats!!!!!!!!

Good to know that the fan in the engine bay helps
    Tamra
    First autocross 3/29/15

Post Thanks / Like
    whoo hoo, congrats!!!!!!!!

Good to know that the fan in the engine bay helps
    Thanks Tamra,
    I had my fan override switch off. I not sure if they even turned on under computer control.

I scanned a bunch of stuff when I got pulled into the barn.

All temps F and from my weak memory.
    Ambient 55

Tires 75-85
    Top radiator hose 175
    Bottom radiator hose 160
    Exhaust wrap right after turbo 350
    turbo output flange 475
    right fiberglass hump 105
    left hump 85
    transmission case 125
    Awic water hoses 65

I probably scanned another dozen things, but nothing seemed out of line.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-02-2015 at 04:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, Bob, on the milestone.

Part of the fun will be the questions &guesses about what it is. I've got to get mine licensed soon!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Bob. Great to know another one's registered! I know you've enjoyed the heck out of the build, now enjoy the rest.
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! We make our own vin plates in Indiana.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    GREAT!

Enjoy it and cope with he "almost nothing to do now" anti climax!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freds View Post
    GREAT!

Enjoy it and cope with he "almost nothing to do now" anti climax!!!
    Don't worry about nothing to do. This was my sons car. Mine is next.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't worry about nothing to do. This was my sons car. Mine is next.
    Bob
    Phew! What a relief!

Enjoy, and you will with all that experience under your belt.

fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, looking foward to your 818e build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not only did Michael learn how to weld on this project. He can now spray paint and drink at the same time.
    Bob
    Well of course Bob! Don't ya' know? All good painters drink---one of the old timers who taught me often had to have someone go in the booth and keep a grip on the back of his shirt so he wouldn't fall into the car while he sprayed! Three sheets to the wind he could lay down single stage enamel like glass

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool you made it!!
    Have fun! A lot of it!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Great day Autocrossing

Michael and I had a great day autocrossing today. The day started of at 54 degrees on blacktop the was resealed this year. It was pretty slick. That afternoon fun run session temp was up to 75 and track was much stickier.
    Mike and I got in 21 runs today. The last 9 runs were within 30 minutes. Beat on the 818 and it came through with flying colors.
    Bob

Here are 3 videos of mikes runs.

Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-05-2015 at 12:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of our spins in the 818 are only 180 degrees. at the 30 to 32 second mark Michael stayed in the gas and it went around to 270.
    Some builders are reducing their steering rack travel. As you see in this video, Michael is using the full 540 degrees counter steer in an attempt to stop the over steer. It wasn't enough.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-05-2015 at 09:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    On the 2nd video with the big spin, I can hear some odd tire chirping right before the spin while Mike's still going straight. Is that the brakes locking up?

Looks like your car is more stable on power than ours, but looks pretty loose on corner entry and lift. Would you say that is accurate?
    Tamra
    First autocross 3/29/15

Post Thanks / Like
    On the 2nd video with the big spin, I can hear some odd tire chirping right before the spin while Mike's still going straight. Is that the brakes locking up?
    Looks like your car is more stable on power than ours, but looks pretty loose on corner entry and lift. Would you say that is accurate?
    Good ear Tamra.
    That chirp is our rear wheels locking up. We have plans for a rear Proportional valve, but that was not high on our list during the registration process.

We were pushing the car pretty hard all day. Michael had the only 2 spins in our 21 runs. But here were probably 100 saves. Michael is getting pretty good at drifting out of corners if break loose on exit. Just have watch out for the outside cones.

I was have problems with over correcting. The tail would kick out and I would get out of the gas and counter steer. The tail would snap back, but I would loose a lot of speed.

Coming out of corners Michael goes to full throttle. At our 225 ft-lbs of wtq, it should give us 0.77 G forward acceleration coming out of corners. To me, this seems to be a pretty good balance. If we crank up the boost, we would have to wait until we are straighter before going full on.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-05-2015 at 11:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on getting it registered. I've been catching up on your build and love the creative solutions you come up with.

The wiper solution makes the ffr kit look like a hack job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    Congrats on getting it registered. I've been catching up on your build and love the creative solutions you come up with.

The wiper solution makes the ffr kit look like a hack job.
    Thanks Metros,
    I passed inspection but not quite registered yet. VIN plate should arrive later this week. Then get title and then plates.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Motorcycle has more horsepower than my 818. What was I thinking.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...-ftlbs-torque/

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    For the new builders,
    The double flaring tool that works, is on sale.

http://www.eastwood.com/professional...ontent=1EM3289

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, I think I have only seen $199 before... $189 is great.

Assuming I have no leaks in my system (have yet to bleed it), I should be done with mine. It performed flawlessly. There is just one issue I had with it, and it was my issue. The mandrels have two different sides. They aren't marked on the top (only on the end), so a few times I put the top on 180 degrees off, and got half a double flare plus half an ISO flare. It's very easy to do. I ended up marking the top with an arrow to ensure I didn't keep making the mistake.

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast