Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: MRG MotorSports 818S Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn't agree more re pricing... but I get tired of custom fab, what is our time really worth? Between my alternate IC location and the exhaust movement concerns I had to bite the bullet.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, I'm about 1 hour 8 minutes according to google. Let me know if you're coming up. I'm making a few parts at the shop today.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like

Go Karting 818 at Columbus Sports Car Club SCCA

Had another great day autocrossing the go kart
    This is Mikes last run. About 55 seconds. Yes, he did beat dad.
    Today we ran 205 595r federals in front and 225 888 Toyo's in the rear.
    I spun out twice and Michael once. More importantly our natural instinct was to lift if the back end kick out. By the end of the day we were both staying in the gas and drifting/ counter steering out of the slide.

The video doesn't give you a real feel for the speed. about 5 seconds after the start mike was at 60 mph before taking the first left.
    I love this car.
    In the video watch the engine movement. I need to fix this.
    I have no sway bar. You can watch the front suspension to see the body roll. I don't know if this need attention. Pleas give me you opinion.
    Jeff Kleiner and gang put on great events.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    This video tells us all why we are building this car: fun.

Yeah your engine moves a lot. Is the transmission moving that much too?

I noticed your big braided line tie-wrapped on the frame. Wouldn't after a while the line moving a little scratch the blue powder coat?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    More importantly our natural instinct was to lift if the back end kick out. By the end of the day we were both staying in the gas and drifting/ counter steering out of the slide.
    That's how my F500 is. It's a 72" wheelbase so it can spin out if you simply think about it. Once you learn to keep your foot in it becomes second nature. Cool to see some 818's autocrossing so close.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    This video tells us all why we are building this car: fun.
    Yeah your engine moves a lot. Is the transmission moving that much too?
    I noticed your big braided line tie-wrapped on the frame. Wouldn't after a while the line moving a little scratch the blue powder coat?
    Hey Frank
    I used scratch proof powder coat.
    Yes the transmission is moving all over the place. I hit a bump and it smacks the frame. (see powder coat remark above)

Right now I have ZERO pop rivets in the car. It is held together by a couple hundred zip ties.
    Zip ties make is very easy to change. Once everything is where I want it. I will go back an change about 1/2 of the zip ties to "P" clips (fastened by screws).

Funny this happened today. I kept hearing this squeaking noise. But Michael could not hear it.
    After a couple of runs with this noise, I discovered it was my helmet rubbing on the rubber Kirkey emblem on the seat.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    In the video in post 284 above. While sitting on the start line, I can hear a tick in the engine. Is that anything to worry about? (the motor has 93K on it)
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    ... low polar moment of inertia... it is addictive, only thing I love to autocross (besides the kart)

the fun factor of mid engine is intoxicating. You will learn so much about driving and how to use the car as a tool to "dance" that edge of control, mid engine, lower polar moment of inertia, faster to change directions. This can be good and bad! hmm kinda like the shifter kart!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Bob & Michael Sorry I missed you guys but we'll be back at it again in February---rain, snow or sunshine!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Looking good Bob & Michael Sorry I missed you guys but we'll be back at it again in February---rain, snow or sunshine!
    Jeff
    You need to have autocrosses year round.
    Michael wants to go rally crossing now because autox is done for the year. He want to use the impreza he uses for high school transportation.
    uhggggggggg
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Watching the video - Do you have broken or non-existent motor mounts? I have never seen an engine pitch around so much. And - the pitching is fore and aft, not side to side. Normally engine torque will pitch the motor side to side. What's up? Do we all need to add additional "pitch stop", or other engine movement limiters to our engine/trans. package in the 818?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    Watching the video - Do you have broken or non-existent motor mounts? I have never seen an engine pitch around so much. And - the pitching is fore and aft, not side to side. Normally engine torque will pitch the motor side to side. What's up? Do we all need to add additional "pitch stop", or other engine movement limiters to our engine/trans. package in the 818?
    Hi Tmoretta
    The engine and transmission mounts are not broken (yet). There is no pitch stop.
    The mounts are oem and are 10 years old 93k.

You get side to side motion on a front engine with rear wheel drive as it is the reaction force of twisting the drive shaft. This style car has only 1 / 4 the torque going to the axle because of rear dif ratio.

On a transaxle you get forward reverse pitch as the reaction of the half shafts going to the 818 rear wheels. Full axle torque in first gear 13.5 x 225ft/lbs at crank is 3037 ft/lbs of torque twisting the motor assembly. On the 4wd wrx half of the torque goes to the back wheels. So only 1/2 much pitch on the motor.

Options:
    -harder durometer engine and trans mounts. (expensive)
    -dog bone pitch stop from air conditioner compressor bracket to the fire wall.
    -custom trans and/or motor mount and/or pitch stop.

Fixing this is pretty high on my list, so I should have something in the next 3-4 weeks.
    Bob

PS: I'm worried about the guys with bigger turbos hitting the shock tower brace.

Post Thanks / Like

Spin Wednesday

Spin Wednesday
    I don't know if anyone has published a video of an 818 spinning out yet.

In this video Michael has a nice save at the 7 second mark, then another at the 9 second mark.
    At the 12 second mark the back end kicked out to fast to save.

For all you auto crossers, think more rear grip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Options:
    -harder durometer engine and trans mounts. (expensive)
    -dog bone pitch stop from air conditioner compressor bracket to the fire wall.
    -custom trans and/or motor mount and/or pitch stop.

Fixing this is pretty high on my list, so I should have something in the next 3-4 weeks.
    Bob

PS: I'm worried about the guys with bigger turbos hitting the shock tower brace.
    Well, if you want the harder captured mounts like the expensive ones, but are willing to make some custom ones, the Perrin style engine mounts use an energy suspension GM transmission mount. You just need to make plate to hold it in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDude_1 View Post
    Well, if you want the harder captured mounts like the expensive ones, but are willing to make some custom ones, the Perrin style engine mounts use an energy suspension GM transmission mount. You just need to make plate to hold it in place.
    I have 4 cheap ($6) version of the GM trans mount on order to experiment with.

Post Thanks / Like
    For all you auto crossers, think more rear grip.
    For all you 818 drivers, think more grip, I guess.

It seemed to have spin VERY easily at the 12sec mark, as soon as it started, it moved on without never coming back an inch.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDude_1 View Post
    Interesting......

Columbus (where the video was) has a bit of a rough surface as well. I once spun out my Fmod and went about 20 feet into a freshly plowed corn field. I'd like to see how well they do on a good surface like Grissom.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Which springs are you running front/rear, and are you running a front sway (and what size)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamra View Post
    Which springs are you running front/rear, and are you running a front sway (and what size)?
    Hi Tamra,
    We are stock 818 Street. 350# front 275# rear. We are not running a sway bar at this point.
    -2.5* camber all wheels, 2.5* front caster. 0 toe front and rear.
    205/40-16 Federals in front, 225/45-16 Toyo R888 in the rear.
    We are getting ZERO push in the front and not getting any heat in the front tires.
    The rear is pretty loose and tires only 15*F over ambient(guess) with 1 minutes runs every 5 minutes.
    If you have any ideas about this, let me know.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tamra,
    We are stock 818 Street. 350# front 275# rear. We are not running a sway bar at this point.
    -2.5* camber all wheels, 2.5* front caster. 0 toe front and rear.
    205/40-16 Federals in front, 225/45-16 Toyo R888 in the rear.
    We are getting ZERO push in the front and not getting any heat in the front tires.
    The rear is pretty loose and tires only 15*F over ambient(guess) with 1 minutes runs every 5 minutes.
    If you have any ideas about this, let me know.
    Bob
    Bob, our thoughts:

The lighter rear springs should help rear grip at the expense of some squat on acceleration.
    No front sway would encourage oversteer relative to adding a front bar.
    Camber and castor are probably fine but you would only really know by using a pyrometer (probe kind).
    Tires, we run matched sets always but at least yours are similar tread wear. More tire is usually better, but if you're not getting any heat in the tires then of course they will slip easier. I'm guessing you'll find that to be different in the summer temperatures.

The general autocross setup is for a car to push if you enter a corner too hot, and oversteer is only induced by power or trail braking. Of course, the degree of each is dependent on personal preference.

We will be running 500lb fronts, 300 rears (we are worried this will be too soft in the rear, but only time will tell) with a front sway, size TBD.

Just our thoughts though, as we are by no means professionals!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamra View Post
    Bob, our thoughts:

The lighter rear springs should help rear grip at the expense of some squat on acceleration.
    No front sway would encourage oversteer relative to adding a front bar.
    Camber and castor are probably fine but you would only really know by using a pyrometer (probe kind).
    Tires, we run matched sets always but at least yours are similar tread wear. More tire is usually better, but if you're not getting any heat in the tires then of course they will slip easier. I'm guessing you'll find that to be different in the summer temperatures.

The general autocross setup is for a car to push if you enter a corner too hot, and oversteer is only induced by power or trail braking. Of course, the degree of each is dependent on personal preference.

We will be running 500lb fronts, 300 rears (we are worried this will be too soft in the rear, but only time will tell) with a front sway, size TBD.

Just our thoughts though, as we are by no means professionals!
    Hi Tamra
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    I would love to go out to a circle pad and try to tune front and rear grip.
    I'm worried about oil starvation so I'm going to wait for my accusump first.

I'm not going to change anything until I get wider tires in the back.

We are going to start working on the body with the autocross season over.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Smoking tires

Couldn't sleep, so I thought I would post a "SMOKING TIRE" picture.

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Rear tires rubbing lowe rtrailing arm.

Michael And I were over at the barn today looking at the car figuring out what we wanted to accomplish before the last autocross of the season NOV 30th.
    We pulled the rear wheels of to look at a brake modification we are planning.

Then we noticed tire rub marks on the lower trailing arms. we are running 1/4" to 3/8" of clearance.
    I don't know when it is happening, but both rear tires are definitely rubbing the lower trailing arm. I suspect during heavy acceleration or braking the back wheels are going toe in.

Between rear suspension, shock travel, engine movement, braking performance.
    I'm going to need about 6 go pros on this car at the next autocross.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just space em out playa!! Nice smoke
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the process of finding parts for my AWIC system.
    I'm thinking of running a non-pressurized system.
    Can anybody give me a good reason to run a pressurized system?
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, are you referring to a vent in your water reservoir as opposed to a closed water coolant loop? I can't see any reason why either way wouldn't work, just have to be mindful of contaminants and evaporation with a vented system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Bob, are you referring to a vent in your water reservoir as opposed to a closed water coolant loop? I can't see any reason why either way wouldn't work, just have to be mindful of contaminants and evaporation with a vented system.
    Hi Stiwrd
    I would have a closed loop system. I just would have a vented cap on it. I was thinking of a bottle like this on up high in the system.
    tank.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    My F500 has something similar, though it is pressurized. Water comes off the head and into a swirl pot at 90 deg to the vertical axis of the pot and then leaves through the bottom. It allows air to settle at the top of the pot. The only thing you would need to do is make sure wherever you place your pump you don't have enough differential in your inlet and outlet flows to empty the reservoir faster than it refills. In a closed system inlet = outlet (or you start pulling a vacuum and collapsing hoses). In an open one it just pulls air to fill the vacuum if you pull too much.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    My F500 has something similar, though it is pressurized. Water comes off the head and into a swirl pot at 90 deg to the vertical axis of the pot and then leaves through the bottom. It allows air to settle at the top of the pot. The only thing you would need to do is make sure wherever you place your pump you don't have enough differential in your inlet and outlet flows to empty the reservoir faster than it refills. In a closed system inlet = outlet (or you start pulling a vacuum and collapsing hoses). In an open one it just pulls air to fill the vacuum if you pull too much.
    I will have my tank in one of the humps. With it up high it cannot over flow or run out.
    (unless I get boiling) Then I got bigger problems.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Installed new motor and transmision mounts today

Today we installed new motor and transmision mount. We used mounts that are 70A durometer rating. (not as hard as a hockey puck) About the hardness of tire tread. The original motor mounts I would compare to the pink rubber pencil erasers we used as kids.

We were able to change the mount without removing the engine from the car. Removed the shock cross bar and hoisted the motor about 2" was enough to change the mounts.

Initial test show we went from +/- 3/4" of engine movement to maybe +/- 1/8"
    We still have an option to add a dogbone from the compressor bracket to the rear firewall.
    That mod is on hold until on road testing.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be a great improvement. Hopefully the road testing shows the same!

Post Thanks / Like

Installing Mechie3 AWIC kit.

I am a beta tester for Mechie3 installing a AWIC kit into my 818.

The first thing I had to do is Clock my turbo.
    This is the original position of the turbo. As you can see compressor is horizontal.

After removing the turbo and clocked the compressor about 60 degrees clockwise, this is what it look like.

Craig is sending me a bracket to hold the waste gate actuator in this position.

Next was to mock up the AWIC mounting, using Craig's brackets.

We are going to change the short piece of pipe to a 45 deg bend to improve the fit.

I believe this to be the cleanest AWIC instillation.
    I should have this fully installed in a couple of days, after a couple of parts come in.
    I will post some final pictures.
    Bob & Mike
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 12-08-2014 at 01:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh so you're the one tester.

Any pictures of the final HE installation?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob is doing a different HE. I have three other people doing the HE installation though. 2 people are testing complete non-clocked systems, another person is testing just the rear AWIC mount installation and the front HE.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Craig
    Which holes did you intend your bracket to go to on the transmission? It looks like it will fit in either.
    Bob

Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 12-08-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Third from the motor. It's the one in front of the bracket.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, did you fit a stopper in the steering rack to prevent tires from rubbing the frame/wheel wells?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    Bob, did you fit a stopper in the steering rack to prevent tires from rubbing the frame/wheel wells?.
    Hi Frank,
    no limiters for me.
    With the snap oversteer of this car, I want the most steering angle I can get.
    now I just need faster hands.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 12-12-2014 at 08:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw this video, It's has given me some Ideas for my 818.
    I like the way the rear hatch open.
    I like the hood fuel doors.
    Check it out and let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 03-24-2015 at 08:35 PM.

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast