Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Need the skinny on titling/registering in Alabama

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Need the skinny on titling/registering in Alabama

I have a Mk IV roadster (FFR8000) I am working on, and I hope to have it completed sometime in 2014. I am interested in current info on registering it in Alabama.

If it matters, I live in Dothan, AL, which is in Houston County. I'm not sure if it differs by county.

I searched the forums, and found some info, but it seems like it might be dated (from around 2005), and seems somewhat contradictory. I have seen where some people have had theirs registered as a 200x (year of manufacture) model, requiring and inspection and an issued VIN plate to be attached, and some have had theirs registered as 1965/1966, with no inspection required and no VIN plate/Title, just a registration and a license plate, using the FFR chassis number as the VIN. And this is all supposedly people registering in Alabama.

So, to all you Alabama people out there, what's the real deal? What are the steps I need to do to have everything properly registered? I kind of like the idea of having it titled/registered as a 1965, but I don't know if I have an option, if they even do that anymore, if I have to just take what they give me, or if that's even the best option. For tax/registration fee purposes, it would seem to be better to have it titled as a 1965, but I don't know if I can do that, what that takes, or what traps that may set me up for.

I have heard some people say someone will have to inspect it to issue a VIN, and others have said no inspection. I have heard that the inspection is just to verify parts and value for revenue purposes, but then I've also heard of people having a hard time with the inspection if they don't have windshield wipers, etc.

I just don't know what the real deal is, this is all so confusing and contradictory. Can someone please break it down, step by step, and tell me what the exact process is currently? I just need to know what is really required.

Also, I live very nearby to Florida, and have some friends that live there. It seems the process might be slightly easier to negotiate in FL. I wonder if it would be worth it to claim residence at a friend's house to register and title the car down in FL, then wait a little bit and re-register it in AL, once it's legal with a 1965 title and all.

I don't know the requirements to establish residency to register/title a vehicle in FL, so this may or may not even be an option. Any ideas if this would work? It just seems like I can't find any straight info on registering in AL, and seems like AL's process is going to be a huge headache.

Thanks in advance, guys. I appreciate any info you guys can give me.

Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    In the past there was a company washing titles in Alabama because the process was so easy. I heard they got shut down and maybe even prosecuted. It may have changed because of that. The first car I built was for a guy in Alabama. When it was ready to road test I got a tag, insurance and registration papers in the mail and it was done as a 1965. In fact it was an antique/historical tag. That was in 2006/7 so it may be different today. Maybe Wayne Presley can help out. www.verycoolparts.com
    Tim.

Knowledge is good-Faber.

I'm so broke I can hardly pay attention-Me.

Post Thanks / Like
    pyronuc, I'm in Birmingham metro and in the planning stages, whats the word on the '65 Title and Antique tag?

Post Thanks / Like
    In for the info. I hope to start mine is a year to 18 months and I am in Phenix City