FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear Axle Width

Post Thanks / Like

Rear Axle Width

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a coupe and lining everything out before writing the check. I have looked at lots of different axles from the Moser to salvage yard rebuilds. Two questions:

1) From the research on the forum I understand that an 8.8 from an 87-98 fox body works but was told to go to use 87-93 because of the shorter width. I also saw read that the coupe requires a wider axle than the roadster. What is the correct width that I need assuming I want to run wide tires?

2) I have also been told that the 3:27 is the best gear ratio for street and track but have also seen lots of 3:55 rear ends on cars posted on this forum. What is the ideal ratio?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to joining the brotherhood.

Post Thanks / Like
    More specifically, does this rear end work this application?
    This is a positive traction/limited slip/traction lok rear axle.
    This rear end has a 3.27 AXLE ratio.
    This is a direct replacement for 96 97 98 Mustang SVT COBRA.
    This rear has 11.65 inch COBRA specific vented rear brakes.
    This a direct bolt in on 96 97 98 3.8L v6 cars. This is a big upgrade over the weaker 7.5 inch v6 rear axles with open differentials.
    This axle is 61.5 inches from brake hub to hub.

Post Thanks / Like
    You want the wider axle unless you want to use wheels with a deeper dish.
    Rear ratio will depend on the engine trans combo and intended use. 3:55 is a good all around gear. 3:27 gear with T5 trans will make 5th gear useless below 80 MPH due to the deep overdrive 5th gear.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I knew then what I know now I would have gotten the wider axle. The fenders on the coupe are very wide. 3:55 or 3:27 would be a good ratio. Like xlr8or said it really depends on the engine tranny combo.

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke with Gordon Levy at Levy Racing about these questions today. He was incredibly helpful and responsive. I was very impressed and intend to send my business his way for the motor and rear end.

Post Thanks / Like

FFR Halibrand 17x10s Rear - Which Years 8.8 w/ Speed Sensor Axles should I use?

If you order the FFR Halibrand Replica Wheels - Dont use the 99 and Newer 8.8 rear end as the mounted rims are 1/2" wider than the overall width of the car @ the rear fender lips.
    I got the 17x9/17x10 wheel set and my donor is a 2003 Mach 1 with only 5137 miles on it when it was rolled....I was warned that the rear axel was too wide but I wanted to check it myself....It is too wide.

Question: I want to run the ABS from the 03 Mach 1 so I need a shorter rear end that has the speed sensor axle shafts for the ABS What Years should I use? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I used A 98 axel and it was just right.. As far as gearing, I think 3:27 would be great for primarily A street car. With the standard 5 speed it should turn about 2K RPM at 70 MPH. With 3:55 1st gear and maybe 2nd would only be used for tire roasting.
    Chaz...