FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: nkw8181's 818 build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    The new center console is aluminum and is combined with the shifter trim. Earlier models had a fiberglass center console and separate aluminum trim.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    The new center console is aluminum and is combined with the shifter trim. Earlier models had a fiberglass center console and separate aluminum trim.
    Yes, I was one of the first to receive that alu part, so much that it was not part of my parts order list and had to ask Joe about it.

Chassis #181 April 26th.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. The only things left to check are what's mounted to the car. I did find it odd that the aluminum door trim that goes on over/under the door handle didn't show on the list but was in box one. I spoke with Dan today on a few things that where missing over what was noted. Not very much really. They did send me side skirts instead of the street spoiler which was a bit of a surprise.. He is going to talk to shipping to see how/what they want to do.
    Nolan
    65 coupe Gen 3 "Phoenix" build
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...032#post297032

818 s (with r windscreen ) 350 rwhp. Registered and street legal (SOLD)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so someone correct me if I'm wrong but these two sets of holes look to close together for the front lower control arm???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    oh and both sides are like that
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    It's supposed to be like that. One is a wagon set, one is a sedan set. Early frames had them farther apart due to a math error. Wagon track is (I think) 20mm narrower so they spaced them out 20mm. They forgot to divide by 2.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok thanks!
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok maybe a stupid question but the aluminum floor panel that mounts under the seats is longer the the parallel tubes it mounts to and it has a tab in the middle that sticks out. Anyone know the correct orientation for this? (I'm not mounting it yet but trying to drill all holes before powdercoating)
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone anyone
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nkw8181 View Post
    Ok maybe a stupid question but the aluminum floor panel that mounts under the seats is longer the the parallel tubes it mounts to and it has a tab in the middle that sticks out. Anyone know the correct orientation for this? (I'm not mounting it yet but trying to drill all holes before powdercoating)
    The tab should be facing the front of the car. From above, you should see two small holes in the steel floor section near the back. The tab covers these holes. The front aluminum also has a matching tab. That one faces rearward to cover 2 more small holes in the steel section of the floor at the front.

BTW, the only stupid question is the one not asked. Ask away, the folks on here are great!

Dave
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    First start: Sept 28, 2014
    Go-carted: Oct 4, 2014
    Registered and Street legal Sept 30, 2015
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm ok I'll look tonight. It still strikes me odd on how much "wider" (front/rear) it is. There has to be atleast 6 in excess forward if you line up the back which is different from the pic in the book.
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so here goes with some overdue updates. First, I some of you may have found this as well but I don't remember reading it. I am glad that I did not drill all the firewall holes before fitting them. I found myself needing to shift them. also the passenger side corner panel has another panel that goes over it so if I had drilled those holes I would be trying to line up the new part. because I waited I was able to do it all at once. I also might be a little bit of a perfectionist by wanting my holes equally spaced and lined up. I will be using 10-32 rivnuts as well as rivets on some. In these pics you can also see the additional side panel.
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    So for the aluminum panels covering the tank I drilled the first set of holes as suggested but found things did not line up because the trim out was not big enough to clear the tank tabs. Also the edge was resting on the welds. I trimmed back the edge and opened up the spacing for the tank tabs and installed 10-32 type k rivnuts (short flange). I may have "a few" more then needed but found that the something is not square so this will help with alignment.. Most spacing is no larger then 2 inches and attempted to make everything even. I plan on using rivnuts for the back two large pieces, the two rear side pieces and there seat belt plate as well as the front sides and the front upper triangle pieces. The rivnut gun is a swivel rivnut/rivet gun that I got from Grainger which so far is pretty nice. FYI just don't try to pull them TOO hard. My mandrel is ever so slightly bent from doing so. Ok so I took one of the seat mounts (since I have aftermarket ones) and made a way to ensure the rivnuts are mounted flush each time. and here are some picture of using the rivnut tool and my makeshift tool as well as what the rivnuts look like installed. I went ahead and put them in the car just because and through a few screws in them. I find myself being careful not to cross-thread them enjoy
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    more pics
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that went a little crazy on the number of fasteners on the firewall.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Have fun taking that off

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that went a little crazy on the number of fasteners on the firewall.
    I'm sure that he has an electric drill/driver...
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Wait..... you used electricity???!!!! lol.
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so I haven't been idle. I've been trying to make the seats removable from inside the car and make mounting points for the 6 point harness as well as have some adjustability in the seat. I ended up with a solution only to realise why factory five installs from the bottom. The space is so small it would be difficult to remove bolts in the rear (even though I can see my proposed mounting points) because it is hard to get your hands back there. I won't say how much time I've spent on this other then ALOT only to find I need to change directions. I'm now resigned to mounting from below but do want a bit more recline. My proposed version added about 5 deg more recline. I'll see what I can come up with when mounting from below. Wanted to share my frustration in hopes that knowone else goes through it.
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    Currently stuck on seatbelt mounting myself. The area is so tight and I don't want any chance of fraying belts. Definitely making the under panel removable though.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Currently stuck on seatbelt mounting myself. The area is so tight and I don't want any chance of fraying belts. Definitely making the under panel removable though.
    I ended up having to buy a set of crow's foot socket wrenches. It is a bear, no matter how you do it, if you have the belly pan attached...and I wasn't about to remove it...some 110 rivets, and I don't have a lift!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so here is the solution I came up with. I used 1.5 inch tubing and put it at an incline of 1 in rise over 17 in. I started said measurement 1 inch forward of the rearward 1 inch bar. At the starting point the "top of the 1.5 tubing is .5 off the cross-members. Hope that makes since and of-course pictures help so here goes. I wanted this extra tilt because it makes for me being 6'1" relatively comfortable as well as lowers my head by ~2in.
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the top holes drilled for the seats and the driver temp installed. I need a bigger drill bit and waiting it before I can fully mount them. I put the front bolts in and it feels great! I'm 6'1" and feel comfortable. Oh and I included a pic of me in the seat with the seat-belts laying in place. The seat-belt mounts are going to be next!
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    Might want to install the pedals and steering wheel and check if you still like the seating. I'm pretty much the same height as you and using similar fixed back seats. The seating position felt good with just the seat in the car but once I mounted the pedals and steering wheel, it felt very cramped trying to press the pedals. But judging by the number of bolts on your rear fire wall, looks like you're committed to the stock tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    That I am but the seat is reclined at ~35 deg which I've found helps. I do have some adjustablity but what feels best is all the way forward (weird I know) but with as much angle back as possible. This puts the top back of the seat almost touching the roll bar. The recline also puts my head lower. 1" raise at the front of the seat = 2 in drop at the top of the seat. Pedals and steering wheel may just go in before seat-belts.
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    That I am but the seat is reclined at ~35 deg which I've found helps. I do have some adjustablity but what feels best is all the way forward (weird I know) but with as much angle back as possible. This puts the top back of the seat almost touching the roll bar. The recline also puts my head lower. 1" raise at the front of the seat = 2 in drop at the top of the seat. Pedals and steering wheel may just go in before seat-belts.
    Hey whatever works right

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have the same seats and harnesses, nice choice! I'm 5"11" (long legs/medium torso length) and went with the Boyd tank, and bent my firewall for a couple inches extra room; I also have my seat reclined; I like to be able to fully depress the clutch with some bend left to my knee. Set-up like this, I have maybe an inch or two of headroom under the rollbar, and the pedal and wheel position are comfortable. However, there's no extra space to spare anywhere! You can fine tune the steering wheel position easily (I used longer spacers to lower mine, and a short hub, but the pedal box is tough to do anything about, so I agree that before mounting the seat, at least mock it up to make sure you're happy with leg position when operating the pedals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pedals and steering first then before seat-belts.. Wleehendrick, what I essentially did with my rise is the same as if we could use the lowest seat adjustment on the brackets My frame isn't powder coated yet so everything will be coming back off and then put back on again before "final" assembly. Can someone tell me if there is a such thing as "final" assembly on these cars
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can someone tell me if there is a such thing as "final" assembly on these cars
    Never! When I was writing my thesis, someone said it's like a work of art... never completed, just abandoned. As long as I have my 818, it'll never be 'finished'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol that is what I thought would be the general consensus. :-)
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    lower harness and seat mount are DONE!!! man that is a great feeling! What do y'all think of my solution?
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    a few more
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    How are your shoulder harnesses mounted?

Post Thanks / Like
    What do y'all think of my solution?
    I think it's pretty darn clean!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    How are your shoulder harnesses mounted?
    They will wrap around the square bar. I will be marking and cutting slots in the aluminum for them to pass through.

Thanks Frank I just wish it didn't take me so long to find a "simple" solution.
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to get a new radiator and saw this one. What do you guys think? I thought having the in and out on the same side could make it cleaner.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MIO-MMRAD-RX-LS/
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to get a new radiator and saw this one. What do you guys think? I thought having the in and out on the same side could make it cleaner.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MIO-MMRAD-RX-LS/
    The bottom pins don't seem to line up with those on the chassis.
    At the top you'll have to do like me and design your own supports.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know if "bolt in" harnesses could be bolted onto the square bar - bolts either horizontal or vertical?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    Do you know if "bolt in" harnesses could be bolted onto the square bar - bolts either horizontal or vertical?
    You might be able to do the anti sub ones but not the lap belts. This was a very helpful document for me. I'm not using there harnesses but found similar info with others. see page 40.

http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2...structions.pdf
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    The bottom pins don't seem to line up with those on the chassis.
    At the top you'll have to do like me and design your own supports.
    Ok so I could go the other direction? yay nay?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...522&cc=1432597
    Nolan

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast