FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dave Smith: Make this Man an offer

Post Thanks / Like

Dave Smith: Make this Man an offer

I know FFR prides itself for being a 100% American company but this Polish guy is just awesome. He built a Mclaren F1 replica capable of 200mph in his shed for about $20,000 US from scratch. That's including a BMW V12 Engine. It's a 100% tubular steel frame and fiberglass body which sounds pretty familiar...Although this story is from 2009 it just re-surfaced on Autoblog

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/23/m...-poland-video/

http://jalopnik.com/5223269/polish-m...-car-in-garage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy9pKFLy6u4#t=153

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Brandon,

Thanks for the interesting post. I haven't been able to keep up with the forum these past few months.

With respect to this design, I think Factory Five needs to focus on our own designs and also lead by example with legal and appropriate replicas. Our '33 Hot Rod, Mk4 Roadster, and Type 65 Coupe are examples of legitimate and legal replicas of designs that were either abandoned, not made in production quantities (Daytona Coupe), and do not have tradedress rights. In my opinion, the McLaren F1 would be an illegal replica akin to Ferrari 328 bodies on Fieros and Lambo rip-offs.

Further, while Factory Five is famous for our vintage replicas, I would like to drive the company forward with our own designs. Lastly, product development decisions are complex and have to balance tons of variables and take into consideration core competencies of a company, market size, market share, product configuration, pricing, and a billion other questions.

I appreciate the idea and wish you a Merry Christmas!
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    Brandon,

Thanks for the interesting post. I haven't been able to keep up with the forum these past few months.

With respect to this design, I think Factory Five needs to focus on our own designs and also lead by example with legal and appropriate replicas. Our Mk4 Roadster,and soon to be released 289FIA and Slabside are examples of legitimate and legal replicas of designs that were either abandoned, not made in production quantities, and do not have tradedress rights.
    Further, while Factory Five is famous for our vintage replicas, I would like to drive the company forward with our own designs. Lastly, product development decisions are complex and have to balance tons of variables and take into consideration core competencies of a company, market size, market share, product configuration, pricing, and a billion other questions.

I appreciate the idea and wish you a Merry Christmas!

Fixed it for you
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    Would love to see something for a tall fat guy.
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr. Smith,

I think he was talking about offering this very talented person a job. not the car.

P

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
    Fixed it for you
    Bill....too funny!!! What do da bunnys' say?
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide motorsport View Post
    Bill....too funny!!! What do da bunnys' say?
    They say Dave and his R&D dept have been awful quiet lately. Something is in the works, but nothing has leaked out and they have been trying to get me to make an appearance there for quite some time. Problem being I have been traveling in the opposite direction for the last few months.

Bill S.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
    They say Dave and his R&D dept have been awful quiet lately. Something is in the works, but nothing has leaked out and they have been trying to get me to make an appearance there for quite some time. Problem being I have been traveling in the opposite direction for the last few months.

Bill S.
    Much as I'd be crawling over other FFRers to get an order in for a 289 kit, I have to figure the 818 crush has put the 289s on the back burner for a while longer!
    FFR Mk II 4437
    Finally on the road, 8/12! SVO Crate 302, IRS, EEC IV

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking at the '33 at present and been reading various pieces in the Forum sections and in people's build logs that seem to point for a need in FF re-visiting the '33 body and rectifying some of the dimensional inconsistances side to side. It seems that the chassis is sound, but the body symetry leaves something to be desired. Street Rodders are very detail and fit and finish oriented and it's possible that some could be put off by reading this stuff.

It seems that judging by the build #'s this car has been very successful for FF and maybe it's about time that some of that profit was re-injected to make this fabulous kit even better.

The truck version concept is gorgeous IMO. I like the short bed look and the rear end profile is similar to what works in some of the Phantom '37 pickups that other companies have produced. The cab section has a very nicely rendered profile too. Don't personally like the visor idea, but obviously some may.

Martin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MT-ED View Post
    I'm looking at the '33 at present and been reading various pieces in the Forum sections and in people's build logs that seem to point for a need in FF re-visiting the '33 body and rectifying some of the dimensional inconsistances side to side. It seems that the chassis is sound, but the body symetry leaves something to be desired. Street Rodders are very detail and fit and finish oriented and it's possible that some could be put off by reading this stuff.
    Remember that ALL Street Rod/Hot Rod builders put their own touches/designs in their builds. The detail fit/finish is provided by the builder (even steel bodies) not the factory, unless you are looking for a "paint by number" Mona Lisa. Sure things are always being upgraded and improved in all of the kits, the 33 included. I have talked to hundreds of builders over the years and by far the majority really like the offering and the "blank canvas" it offers for their builds.
    Just my 2 cents worth,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, if kit cars were truly "kits" they'd be made by Revell...........and then people would still personalize them That's the name of the game.

What I mean is as it seems from comments made by people building the car, there are certain dimensions that differ side to side and these apparently cause builders some issues with alignment. Panel gaps, door shut lines and all that fun stuff needing tweaking is a given, be the car steel or glass. Basic side to side dimensions matching ought to be a given and would make the overall build easier and ultimately more satisfying for the owner. He/she may build a fabulous looking car, but if they know that the car is different side to side (even if other's don't realize), it could slightly reduce their overall satisfaction of the product......which is ultimately down to the manufacturer.

Years ago back in England I built this VW Beetle Sedan Delivery. It was built like a Street Rod with huge attention to body details. I made numerous mods and tweaks to it to correct deficiencies in the overall body kit design. I also did lots of body mods to totally personalize the car from any others that might be built from the same body kit. Filled trim holes, complete custom dash, all that kind of stuff. I willingly did all this because that's what the hobby is about.

What I'm (just) sayin' here is that FF should endeavour to produce the best product they can by development, not just jump to a new car design because people want to see new designs. Dave Smith realizes that you have to know you have a market before you spend time and money to develop a new product. I'm just suggesting refinement of a proven product as another possibility in nurturing continued and greater success for the company.

Bottom line is, if my circumstances were different right now, I'd be ordering a '33 kit with it's minor imperfections in a heart-beat. There's nothing else out there that combines everything I want in a hobby car that even comes close.

Martin.