FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looking into an 818

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Looking into an 818

Hello, Just thought I'd intorduce myself and tell you a little about myself!
    I'm a longtime Cobra guy. I built my Unique Motorcars 427SC back in 1998.
    Way back then Factory Five was a young company and their cars were, well, pretty crude. I wanted a top-tier Cobra replica and Unique Motorcars was, and is, one of the oldest and best-respected manufacturers out there. I have been very pleased with my Unique.
    In the years since I've seen FF consistently improve their engineering and quality control, as well as introducing some pretty impressive original designs.
    I also road-raced a Legends car for about 10 years, but took time off to build my new home in 2009-2010. I just haven't had time to get back into it, but probably will eventually.
    I also have a modified 1999 Miata, with an intercooled Eaton MP62 supercharger, Wilwood brakes, as well as other mods.

Now I'm looking for another project, and the 818s has caught my eye.
    I like the idea that it's a fairly inexpensive kit to build, even though I'll probably put a lot more than the average builder into the drivetrain. My plans are for a heavily modified engine making at least 500HP. (I want this thing to be QUICKER than my Cobra, but to be able to run on premium pump gas if possible).

I still have a lot of research to do, and will probably bombard you current builders with questions.
    Looking forward to it.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobranut1 View Post
    Hello, Just thought I'd intorduce myself and tell you a little about myself!
    I'm a longtime Cobra guy. I built my Unique Motorcars 427SC back in 1998.
    Way back then Factory Five was a young company and their cars were, well, pretty crude. I wanted a top-tier Cobra replica and Unique Motorcars was, and is, one of the oldest and best-respected manufacturers out there. I have been very pleased with my Unique.
    In the years since I've seen FF consistently improve their engineering and quality control, as well as introducing some pretty impressive original designs.
    I also road-raced a Legends car for about 10 years, but took time off to build my new home in 2009-2010. I just haven't had time to get back into it, but probably will eventually.
    I also have a modified 1999 Miata, with an intercooled Eaton MP62 supercharger, Wilwood brakes, as well as other mods.

Now I'm looking for another project, and the 818s has caught my eye.
    I like the idea that it's a fairly inexpensive kit to build, even though I'll probably put a lot more than the average builder into the drivetrain. My plans are for a heavily modified engine making at least 500HP. (I want this thing to be QUICKER than my Cobra, but to be able to run on premium pump gas if possible).

I still have a lot of research to do, and will probably bombard you current builders with questions.
    Looking forward to it.

David
    Welcome. Ask away, happy to offer advise as I am sure other are too. This is a fantastic community. Hands down the best forum of helpful educated gear heads you will find.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO if your wallet can handel it you can make the 818 as fast as anything out there. It is some what spartan in accomadations due the pricing of the kit. My version is scary fast to me and I have a background of IMSA and Nascar from the 80's. Like any kit it is up to the builder how far to go. Good luck on what ever you decide.