Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  104
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam's Canadian 13B Rotary 818-SR Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 818sNH View Post
    All I need is to connect the water and oil lines and figure out the starter (have one on order hopefully its the right one). Got the exhaust all welded up just no pic of it yet.
    Then its off to the tuner.
    I’m very curious about your whole setup, care to share all the details? PM me if you’d rather. Unless I missed your build thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    We are all waiting for that moment, hopefully the plan will work!
    Thanks Frank, fingers crossed. Sorry I haven’t been active on your thread, I’m long overdue for a Frank818 read. I did notice that you made the calendar, congrats! You definitely earned it!

To be honest, it’s a bit depressing seeing everyone else making progress when I can’t, so I’ve been avoiding the forums. But knowing that I will be able to soon has gotten me excited enough to start lurking around.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Tnx Adam, but focus on your build 1st, not others'.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Been making some progress over the holidays. I’ve also been doing some filming in the process so in the next couple of weeks I hope to have some update videos. But today was a very special day, I had an inspector come by and my 818 is officially a car! I got my VIN number on the car! The inspector was nice enough to get a vin with the same last few numbers as the chassis serial number so they match. Very exciting! Still got lots to do before I get my safety inspection in the spring, but I have no doubt my “2018 Factory Five Racing 818S” will be hitting the streets soon!

Wonder if I’m the only car of the first 100 not finished...
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Adam, and thanks for the rotary build thread. I'm a big rotary engine fan, and it's the first thing I thought about when I saw the car. I even asked FF about rotary engine builds, but they weren't aware of any, so you must be under the radar :-)

Cheers,
    Rusty

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    But today was a very special day, I had an inspector come by and my 818 is officially a car! I got my VIN number on the car!
    Wow that was easy!! Nice thing done and it's always special when you get something particular to remind you of the build.
    In my case it's my chassis number for which the numbers are the opposite of the 818 (#181). But it's a longer shot than you for your VIN.

You're not. Craig from IN is unfortunately stalling on his. He's got a couple of Formula cars working on but still... stalling on his. Very early chassis, way before yours.

Can't wait to see vids of the car driving for real!
    Frank

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    doubtful, i'm guessing more than half are unfinished. (my own number 35 included)

don't buy an 1890 Victorian if you want to build a car.

love your progress so far.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard my name and stalling in the same sentence. Thought I'd see what was up.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I heard my name and stalling in the same sentence. Thought I'd see what was up.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy New Year, good old Craig!
    I didn't say anything bad earlier, don't worry!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    don't buy an 1890 Victorian if you want to build a car.
    1890??? Wow I didn't know that old. Good thing for Adam his 818 is not from year 1890!

Can't wait for your 1st 2018 vids, Adam!!!
    Frank

10. Likes longislandwrx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or start a side business at the same time you decide to have two kids while trying to build a car.

I'll get back to it soon. It's cold now. I can't kneel yet, but I can bend my knee all the way now without pain. When I go outside and it's cold it makes it hurt.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

12. Likes longislandwrx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Or start a side business at the same time you decide to have two kids while trying to build a car.

I'll get back to it soon. It's cold now. I can't kneel yet, but I can bend my knee all the way now without pain. When I go outside and it's cold it makes it hurt.
    I’m in the exact same situation. Wife started a business that I put a lot of work into and went from 0-2 kids. But I think this year will be the one where the car actually leaves the garage for the first time in 4 year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Life can definitely reprioritize for you quick, I also started a business and had a second kid since starting this build. Been -40 here for awhile, I’m not looking forward to my natural gas bill but I’ve been in the garage with a t-shirt. Heating the garage is a must this far north.

Happy New Year everyone!

Can anyone tell what type of bulb it is that FFR supplies for the reverse/turn signal? There’s no writing on the bulb, the two little knobs are like an 1156 but it has two contacts like a 1157. I’m not sure about south of the border, but up here our rear turn signals are red, so I have to order a white/red led bulb.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Life can definitely reprioritize for you quick, I also started a business and had a second kid since starting this build. Been -40 here for awhile, I’m not looking forward to my natural gas bill but I’ve been in the garage with a t-shirt. Heating the garage is a must this far north.

Happy New Year everyone!

Can anyone tell what type of bulb it is that FFR supplies for the reverse/turn signal? There’s no writing on the bulb, the two little knobs are like an 1156 but it has two contacts like a 1157. I’m not sure about south of the border, but up here our rear turn signals are red, so I have to order a white/red led bulb.
    Canadian,
    You can do what I did with the tail lights. I used a trailer adaptor that changed the independent turn signals to combined turn/stop traditional signals.
    see video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOJUZ8jr6MI

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpowe.../dp/B0008G1NNY
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Canadian,
    You can do what I did with the tail lights. I used a trailer adaptor that changed the independent turn signals to combined turn/stop traditional signals.
    see video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOJUZ8jr6MI

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpowe.../dp/B0008G1NNY
    With only two filaments in the bulb, what happens when you have both stop and turn on? I’m guessing the one side would continue to flash and your other would indicate you’re braking. In my case I don’t have a third brake light, so if I had my hazards on there would be no indication that I’m braking. I kind of like how FFR included a dual colour bulb, I didn’t even know they were a thing, but someone should tell them to send red/white up here instead of amber/white. Thanks for the idea though, if I had a third brake light it’d be a good option.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    With only two filaments in the bulb, what happens when you have both stop and turn on? I’m guessing the one side would continue to flash and your other would indicate you’re braking. In my case I don’t have a third brake light, so if I had my hazards on there would be no indication that I’m braking. I kind of like how FFR included a dual colour bulb, I didn’t even know they were a thing, but someone should tell them to send red/white up here instead of amber/white. Thanks for the idea though, if I had a third brake light it’d be a good option.
    On a 1157 there are 2 filiments.
    running light (8.3 watt)

turn, brake, emergency, (26.8 watts)

When braking and turning. The turn side flashes while the non turn side stays on bright.

I didn't know Canada requires red turn signals.

Here is a white/amber bulb. http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/...led-bulbs.html
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I started second guessing the red rear turn signals, so I looked it up and I guess they can be amber or red. Pretty sure most modern cars/trucks use red, but I guess it goes both ways. I’m still going to look for a replacement that’s clear/red, as soon as I can figure out what type of bulb it is. It’s not a 1157, the alignment prongs are symmetrical so you can put it in wrong and the colours are switched.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I know a few members used the Impreza dash vs the FFR supplied one, but I’m not sure who. Is anyone’s memory better than mine? It sucks how so much info is lost in build threads.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I know a few members used the Impreza dash vs the FFR supplied one, but I’m not sure who. Is anyone’s memory better than mine? It sucks how so much info is lost in build threads.
    Aero Sti:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post265733
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post226225

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, thanks! I started fitting my dash last night and realized the top of the steering wheel blocks my view of the cluster too much. I test fitted the Subaru one and it allows me to mount the cluster higher, but the fit of the dash was off. Figured rather than start from scratch fitting it I’d see how others had done it. Thanks again!
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    As I mentioned before, I did some filming over Christmas. I’ve had so many issues getting them edited, I almost gave up. My first videos I filmed with my GoPro so I just used GoPro Studio, but for whatever reason I decided to do my recent stuff with my iPhone. GoPro studio doesn’t like .mov files, and since I was going to pick up a Sony A6000 after Christmas I figured I’d try out some more universal editing software. After trying a few my computer caught a virus and after a couple of days deleting stuff in “safe mode” I gave up, converted all my videos to .mp4 and made the below video with GoPro Studio. Now of course it’s no longer offered or supported by GoPro and is having crashing issues. I think I’ve found a good one now, so hopefully the other videos will be up shortly.

Now I know at least one of you will read the above rant and think “why don’t spend more time working on the car instead of playing with videos”. Well most all that “wasted” time was in hotel rooms while working out of town, so I couldn’t work on the car if I tried. I’d also like to make some well edited videos of the car on the road and on track in the near future, and these update videos help me learn what I need to. Hopefully someone enjoys them.

Ok, on to the video...
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

23. Likes biknman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice video! I'm thinking of using GoPro timelapses to document some of my build too. There's something very entertaining about watching many hours of work in a timelapse that only takes a couple minutes...

Post Thanks / Like
    I enjoy your videos, personally I get a little bit self conscious with someone watching me work on the car. Let alone have the whole world watch lol .
    I do like what you did to the rear end. My plan is to do something similar, with the license plate higher between the taillights.
    Look forward to the next video

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lsfourwheeler View Post
    Nice video! I'm thinking of using GoPro timelapses to document some of my build too. There's something very entertaining about watching many hours of work in a timelapse that only takes a couple minutes...
    Thanks, and Do it! Even if you decide not to put it out there for the world to see you’ll enjoy it and have it to show friends.

Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    I enjoy your videos, personally I get a little bit self conscious with someone watching me work on the car. Let alone have the whole world watch lol .
    I do like what you did to the rear end. My plan is to do something similar, with the license plate higher between the taillights.
    Look forward to the next video
    Thanks, and I wish the whole world was watching cause then I could quit my day job, lol. I’m also counting on those who watch it to point out anything I’m doing wrong. I suppose I should be pointing out all the stupid things I’m doing wrong so others can learn from my mistakes, but it’s a little harder to put myself out there that way.

I look forward to see how you do your rear bumper, this seems to be the part that varies mostly between builders.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

28. Likes biknman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know, I'm not really big into videos more than 5 minutes long...not gonna lie. But after skipping around a little I started it over, put this thing in a side window and listened/watched the rest of the whole damned thing. Sorry about the truck (I hate people sometimes) and I LOVE that wing mount. Not that I'm going to use a wing, but dammit...simple, elegant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    You know, I'm not really big into videos more than 5 minutes long...not gonna lie. But after skipping around a little I started it over, put this thing in a side window and listened/watched the rest of the whole damned thing. Sorry about the truck (I hate people sometimes) and I LOVE that wing mount. Not that I'm going to use a wing, but dammit...simple, elegant.
    Thanks! I feel the same way, I usually watch similar videos in the garage while I work on the car. In fact during each of those time lapses I was watching something. My “time lapses” are actually just video played faster, so before speeding them up I could hear the show in the background.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Wing mount looks great, really nicely put together and finished.
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb75 View Post
    Wing mount looks great, really nicely put together and finished.
    Thanks Mike!
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Did FFR supply us with a leather/vinyl boot for the shifter and ebrake? I’m sure I’ve seen one, but before I tear my garage apart looking for it I figured I’d ask you guys.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Did FFR supply us with a leather/vinyl boot for the shifter and ebrake? I’m sure I’ve seen one, but before I tear my garage apart looking for it I figured I’d ask you guys.

I think you get one, iirc you reuse the shifter boot for the ebrake and you use the new one for the shifter. but i had an early kit so it may have changed. there is at least one.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    I think you get one, iirc you reuse the shifter boot for the ebrake and you use the new one for the shifter. but i had an early kit so it may have changed. there is at least one.
    I knew about using the old shifter boot for the ebrake, but IMO it fits about as well as I do in my wife’s high heels, lol. I can’t seem to find a supplied boot anywhere, but after 4 years of building I’m not surprised. But now that you’ve confirmed my suspicions I’m off to look some more. I’ll probably end up ordering a matching set, or make them.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Adam, I like your videos but please don't post a video of wearing your wife's heels! or anything else!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I knew about using the old shifter boot for the ebrake, but IMO it fits about as well as I do in my wife’s high heels, lol. I can’t seem to find a supplied boot anywhere, but after 4 years of building I’m not surprised. But now that you’ve confirmed my suspicions I’m off to look some more. I’ll probably end up ordering a matching set, or make them.
    You can always try something different...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Adam, I like your videos but please don't post a video of wearing your wife's heels! or anything else!
    Haha, you picturing it in your head is good enough for me! Although I’m probably going to the fabric store tomorrow so they could help me blend in, lol.

You can always try something different...
    I’ve actually seen that done before, but it doesn’t exactly do it for me, haha.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like

Made this video a few months ago, but I've been so busy I'd forgotten to upload it. Lots of work done since, lots of video filmed, more videos coming soon.

Also just noticed that all the pictures are back on my thread! Not sure what changed with photobucket, but this is good for forums everywhere.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

40. Likes biknman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Made another video of swapping to a phase 1 STI RA transmission.

818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

42. Likes flynntuna, biknman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great videos, Adam. Keep them coming.
    I wish I had mentioned that pilot bearing sleeve to you before, but I thought you already put one in. I also had to have mine machined to fit. Anyways good work!!!

44. Thanks Canadian818 thanked for this post
    Likes Canadian818 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not that I understand much of this but have you been through this thread and links? Good luck with car!
    I'm STILL on the fence as to whether I will use a 6-speed or some version of a 5-speed. I don't plan on having more than 300 WHP and a fairly light car, as well.

46. Thanks Canadian818 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the video, the idea of opening the space for the oil to flow from the back of the case to the front from my laymans view should solve some issues. I hope some more exprienced Subaru people will chime in. It doesn't appear to do any harm other than weaken the case at that point. But if the gains of better oil flow outweigh the slight amount of strength to the case that is lost, ( which it in my view does ) then I think I'll be opening up the case on my trans in a similar way.
    Thanks again for the post and video.

48. Thanks Canadian818 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 818sNH View Post
    Great videos, Adam. Keep them coming.
    I wish I had mentioned that pilot bearing sleeve to you before, but I thought you already put one in. I also had to have mine machined to fit. Anyways good work!!!
    Thanks! Yeah I’m not sure how I missed it, too excited to get everything bolted together for the first time I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    Not that I understand much of this but have you been through this thread and links? Good luck with car!
    I'm STILL on the fence as to whether I will use a 6-speed or some version of a 5-speed. I don't plan on having more than 300 WHP and a fairly light car, as well.
    Thanks! I have been through that thread, which is why I bought the phase 1 transmission when I came across it. It’s also where I got the info about switching housings and the oiling issues. However that thread made a lot more sense to me after taking things apart. There’s a picture or two in there about it, but I guess I needed to see it in 3D. Also, I couldn’t find any info on switching phase 1 and 2 parts anywhere else so I was still a bit skeptical.

Part of me thinks I should’ve just gone 6mt, but I’m hoping the rotary’s lack of torque will save me. But with a LSD and 305 sticky tires I don’t expect my axles, bearings, or cv’s to last long. Probably upgrade to sti spindles/hubs and DSS axles before to long.

Thanks for the video, the idea of opening the space for the oil to flow from the back of the case to the front from my laymans view should solve some issues. I hope some more exprienced Subaru people will chime in. It doesn't appear to do any harm other than weaken the case at that point. But if the gains of better oil flow outweigh the slight amount of strength to the case that is lost, ( which it in my view does ) then I think I'll be opening up the case on my trans in a similar way.
    Thanks again for the post and video.
    Thanks! It all made sense in my head as well, and I too hope others chime in on whether or not it was a good idea. I’m not too worried about weakening that part of the case, there’s nothing going on back there anymore. Still though I’m considering ordering some Moore Performance blast plates. Their new version looks pretty cool and wouldn’t be hidden on the 818.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast