Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  104
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam's Canadian 13B Rotary 818-SR Build

Post Thanks / Like

Adam's Canadian 13B Rotary 818-SR Build

I decided to list most of my mods here and something of a table of contents, the actual build thread starts just below...

Chassis #91 818S
    Drivetrain
    '96+ Jdm 13b rotary from a twin turbo RX7
    -single BW 8374 twin scroll turbo on custom manifold
    -Subaru 5mt via Volks Conversion adapter plate
    -GM DBW throttle body
    -AEM smart coils x4
    -cx racing a2a intercooler and 19 row oil coolers
    -magnaflow strait through muffler and high flow cat
    -AEM Infinity ECU

Round Stuff
    XXR 531's 18x11 +20 and 18x8.5 +20
    Nitto NT01 305/35/ZR18 245/40/ZR18
    Z32 Nissan aluminum callipers
    DBA STI 2-piece front rotors, WRX rear

page 3......First mention of the 13b rotary
    page 4......Test fit engine
    page 7......Fitting wide wheels
    page 9......Wiring
    page 10....A2A and exhaust fab
    Page 14....Widebody build

The day finally arrived! I was hoping to get it before christmas so I could start working on it over the holidays, but to be honest I'm still not ready for it. Still need to prep and paint my donor parts, but now that the kits here I'll just paint everything together. I'm a welder by trade, and plan to fabricate a few things along the way. At work we often joke that after 30 years of welding you get an honorary Over-engineering degree, but I'm nowhere near that so I welcome critics from our communities real engineers.

These first few pics are a bit blurry, taken with my iPhone. I'll use my camera to document the rest of the build.

This is my 2007 Impreza RS donor

Not sure what happened here...

Or here

Last edited by Canadian818; 02-17-2017 at 12:10 PM.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    01/02/2014 was a big day for me!

Crate barely fit on the trailer, had about an inch on each side...

Peek-A-Boo!

On my packing list its written #91 in pen, I'd imagine that's my chassis number. Not sure if the the actually FFR serial number is mounted somewhere on the chassis or not, still has the body taped to it. Started inventory last night, as mentioned in other build threads its very loosely packed. Once I've completed inventory I'll consolidate some boxes, being sure to keep track of what went where. So far only a few things on back order, and a few WTF brackets that I'll post pics of later so someone can tell me what I'm looking at .

So far I'm impressed with the quality of the kit. All the edges not taped are good, and weld splatter on at least the front of the frame is minimal. Too soon to determine the quality of the powdercoat, as I haven't inspected it all yet. Most of the welds on the un-coated parts seem good. Good for mig anyway. I will probably 'wash' over some corners and 'stop-starts' with tig before paint, but mainly for cosmetic reasons. For some reason I thought the corrugated rad hose smooth rubber on the inside, I now see why Micheal Everson designed the hose kit and some used silicone elbows. I also didn't expect a hard copy of the manual, as I thought only a digital copy was included.

Ordered my 818S with race splitter, defuser, and race wing. That's why I call it an SR. The splitter and defuser were included in the crate, however not wrapped at all, just laid on top of the boxes which surprised me. However they seem to be in good condition and all hardware and strakes were included. The defuser is mounted with 3/16 rivets, but I'll be using some stainless button head bolts like the splitter. I'd imagine removing it would be necessary for any exhaust work.

Still waiting on the parts deleted from the Canadian kits, so no gas tank, brake lines, coilovers, upper A-arms or axles yet. Sitting on the bare frame, I would like a little more leg room. Seats will be ordered this week, so I'll wait for them before considering modifying the gas tank. Also my head was about two inches from the top of the roll bar, so with a seat and helmet on I might need to tilt the seating position to get me lower.

No engine yet. The donor engine has issues, and I never planned to use it. I've considered a few options, and will probably be using a EZ30R. Its actually cheaper for me than a JDM EJ. Not even sure if my NA harness would be of use on a turbo EJ, and I have no intentions of doing the wiring myself. So JDM EZ costs less than a EJ, and either way I'd be going through Wayne for wiring and tuning. Now what I've got planned for the EZ will ruin my "cheaper" theory, but I expected to modify either engine heavily over time. No mention of those plans until I at least of the engine though, as nothing is certain until the engine is ordered. No bench racing for me

I'm also going to leave the 5spd open for this summer. Something stronger will be needed in the next year or two, and until I have driven it with the gearing I have, I don't know what gearing I want and which direction I'll take (5spd vs 6spd).

That's enough rambling for this morning, time to finish inventory and start taking off body panels. I'm going to try to find some cheap cargo nets today and attach most of the body work to the ceiling "spiderman style".

Adam
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congrats! Look forward to watching another H6 (hopefully) build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Serial number is stamped into the frame near the driver side windshield mount. It should have been taped off and left unpowdercoated.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the new baby! As Craig said, the chassis number is just above the driver's knee on the frame. Instead of nets for the body parts, I hung everything from the garage ceiling and walls with just nylon cord through holes or openings. Cheap, easy and nothing touching the surfaces but it looks like a car bomb exploded.
    PM sent regarding some donor parts I need.
    Pete
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes sir Adam!

But when where these donor pix taken? Certainly not recently! lolll
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Yes sir Adam!

But when where these donor pix taken? Certainly not recently! lolll
    Haha no, I dragged my *** a little on the tear down.

Thanks guys, I'll have a look for it when I get home.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Serial number was right where you said, it is indeed #91. I have a few questions for the first #90 builders to complete my inventory...

Is this the Clutch Cylinder Spacer? It looks about right, no mention of it in the manual though, and my pedal box is not very accessible right now.

I recognize this as a coilover wrench, but there's only one part number listed for "Rivnut Tool/Coil-Over Wrench" and I'm not sure how its possible to install rivnuts with a coilover wrench...anyone get a rivnut tool? Obviously the little black piece is the "U" nut.

I know this is the rear tunnel cover, but does anyone know what its called on the inventory list? It might be one of my missing items from my list that the name doesn't make sense to me.

Can anyone tell me what this is? Part #80376 written on the bag. I don't have that number anywhere on my inventory lists, so I suspect its related to the items deleted from the Canadian kits. I haven't received my completion kit yet.

Did anyone's Transaxle Converter look like this? Looks like it spent a few years in salt water!

Also, quite a few of my nut/bolt packages were off on quantities. In most cases there were more, if not double, but a few were short. The value on the bag matched its contents, but not the list. There were also a few items checked off that were not in the box, but that applied to a few boxes.

Interesting note, my headlight buckets are plastic but my inner door panels are fiberglass. I guess FFR is still practicing their thermoforming.

Thanks, Adam
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    Is this the Clutch Cylinder Spacer? It looks about right, no mention of it in the manual though, and my pedal box is not very accessible right now.
    Yes, use two stacked.

I recognize this as a coilover wrench, but there's only one part number listed for "Rivnut Tool/Coil-Over Wrench" and I'm not sure how its possible to install rivnuts with a coilover wrench...anyone get a rivnut tool? Obviously the little black piece is the "U" nut.
    Yes, with some additional hardware. It's explained in the Appendex C. It's a bit cumbersome, but works. I installed a couple with it, but have since ordered a threadsetter.

I know this is the rear tunnel cover, but does anyone know what its called on the inventory list? It might be one of my missing items from my list that the name doesn't make sense to me.
    I think they call it the e-brake trim cover?

Can anyone tell me what this is? Part #80376 written on the bag. I don't have that number anywhere on my inventory lists, so I suspect its related to the items deleted from the Canadian kits. I haven't received my completion kit yet.
    80376 are parts for the rear Koni coilovers.

Did anyone's Transaxle Converter look like this? Looks like it spent a few years in salt water!
    Not as bad, but similar!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks wleehendrick!

Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Yes, with some additional hardware. It's explained in the Appendex C. It's a bit cumbersome, but works. I installed a couple with it, but have since ordered a threadsetter.
    I was thinking about picking up the kit at Princess Auto (Canadian version of harbor freight), it looks like a riveter, costs $35 and includes some rivnuts.

Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    I think they call it the e-brake trim cover?
    I wonder if its the E-Brake Cable Mount #80373?
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Its the ebrake cable mount. My converter looked the same. Subaru hasn't had fwd cads in the us for a while so they could be old old stock. It also looks like maybe it was a temporary coating like wd40 sprayed on that over time hardened instead of being an oily coat in the bag.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Its the ebrake cable mount. My converter looked the same. Subaru hasn't had fwd cads in the us for a while so they could be old old stock. It also looks like maybe it was a temporary coating like wd40 sprayed on that over time hardened instead of being an oily coat in the bag.
    Thanks Mechie! One more item crossed off.

Removing the body work today and wrapping it with all my new brown paper for storage. Finding a few bad spots now, will post pics later.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Geez- I think a lot of us are still waiting for our front race splitters, door panels...... I'm #44....

Have fun!
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Geez- I think a lot of us are still waiting for our front race splitters, door panels...... I'm #44....

Have fun!
    They probably thought, "if we send this to chad, we'll have to pay a fortune to ship Adam's up to Canada later. Just throw it in the crate jimmy, anywhere will do, don't bother wrapping it!"
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post

Have fun!
    Gotta bug them. They do try to fill outgoing orders as much as possible to save on shipping later but if you send them a reminder you might get them faster. Happened with me.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Gotta bug them. They do try to fill outgoing orders as much as possible to save on shipping later but if you send them a reminder you might get them faster. Happened with me.
    double ditto

their B/O system is non-existent... bug them continuously, if you prod when they are there, poof, in a box and shipped out! I'm my case by FedX the next day...
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks- Calling today. Anybody I should ask for? Or just shipping dept?
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 01-06-2014 at 01:03 PM.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    I email Joe Scott. He then coordinates shipping and sales to update my order and get it shipped out.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yeah Chad ask him where the bubble windshields are. I think that and the door cards are the only things I am missing!
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    I emailed Joe yesterday about my diffuser strakes and the mistake on the rear trunk. 2 hours later I had a tracking number from fedex for my new trunk, strakes, and rivets. BAM!

Also check your paperwork when they deliver stuff to make sure it's correct. Mine had said they delivered all the CF pieces when they hadn't. Just keep track of everything and you'll get it all.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a number of items checked off my lists that weren't in the box.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like cleaning up the inventory is harder than building the kit.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, Joe Scott is the man !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Adam, best of luck. Thanks for the pictures of kit arriving in a crate. My kit is due for shipping in a FFR crate shortly, and after your postings I'm a little nervous... Was anything strapped down within the crate? My kit is travelling by ocean all the way to bottom of the world - aka New Zealand...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Junty View Post
    Hey Adam, best of luck. Thanks for the pictures of kit arriving in a crate. My kit is due for shipping in a FFR crate shortly, and after your postings I'm a little nervous... Was anything strapped down within the crate? My kit is travelling by ocean all the way to bottom of the world - aka New Zealand...
    The car is chained to the floor of the crate, there's almost no movement. The body is securely attached, bubble wrap and foam where parts could rub. Boxes were just laid in there, but anything worth protecting in the boxes is wrapped well enough. As mentioned before, the CF pieces were just laid on top of the boxes freely, but they seem fine.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    For what it's worth, my carbon fiber pieces were boxed and wrapped, but I didn't get a shipping crate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could any of you kind gents please tell me what these are?

Pretty sure the two pieces to the right are;

Fuse Panel Mount Front (80526), and Rear (80527)

No idea what the other two pieces could be. I hate that there was a bag of unmarked aluminum pieces, so I had to thumb through the manual to find out what everything was. Also, a few bigger paper wrapped panels were unmarked, or the numbers were to sloppy to decipher. There's a aluminum panel appendix that proved quite useful, for those yet to get their kit.

Not to much on back order, sending in my list tonight.

Trans cover;
    clip hardware
    rivnuts
    rad hose adapters

What I found missing;
    nose mount (got x2 left, no right)
    battery cable
    ball stud retainers
    shift cable washers
    shift linkage bracket
    expandable gromets
    and some nuts/bolts
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Is FFR doing an inventory before they pack the items?
    Frank

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    2 items on left go to the rear bumper for support of the hood pins under the fiberglass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    2 items on left go to the rear bumper for support of the hood pins under the fiberglass.
    Thanks Wallace.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Is FFR doing an inventory before they pack the items?
    Yes, but they missed a few things.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Adam, how long are you waiting for your completion kit (outside of FFR)?

I have to time that on my end, I got moved up so early now (April) that I need to find a donor quickly and then order the completion kit, which I can't without knowing the donor first.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered it over a month ago. Whitby still hasn't received it from FFR, and FFR won't discuss the completion kit with Canadian customers.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I will order mine tomorrow.
    And we Canadians have to pay USD$200 more for the whole kit, cuz they charge 200 more on the completion kit than the value of the deleted items. Oh well, you take it or you leave it, gotta help the American economy.

Adam do you think you can make it a roller without the completion kit?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't complain about the $200 extra for the completion kit, it's $800 extra for right hand drive

Post Thanks / Like

Adam do you think you can make it a roller without the completion kit?
    No, coil overs and upper a-arms are in the completion kit. Can't finish any stage without it.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    No, coil overs and upper a-arms are in the completion kit. Can't finish any stage without it.
    Crap. Stupid Transport Canada.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    So not a lot to show, but many many hours have been spent. The garage was supposed to be cleaned/organized over the holidays, but instead I put on 10 pounds. Funny how having the car in the garage is a huge motivator to just get out there, even if I'm not working on it. I removed all the body work, wrapped it with the FFR brown paper and got it "up" out of the way. Fenders, deck lit, and bumper all fit in the garage attic.

Then I got to tearing up the crate, lots of good wood there.

First project with all the wood, chassis dolly!

Thanks to AZPete for the idea. I couldn't find any affordable wheels, so I blocked up on the bottom of the planks too. If or when a wheel breaks its only a 1" drop, enough to scare a little poop out, but not to damage anything. I probably wont let it rest on the dolly as is with the engine, unless I'm in the mood to test weight ratings.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Carbon Fiber post! Just so everyone knows, I love carbon fiber...

Diffuser

Race Splitter

These showed up last night! Thanks Erik (33 Machine) for the deal. After shipping, the exchange rate (CND is at a 4 year low) and customs charges, still ended up under the USD MSRP.

Either that's a freakishly strong 5 year old, or those babies are Carbon Fiber!!!!

The quality of the seats is top notch. The width is good, I was a little worried that I'd have to maintain my "fit" 36" waist to be comfortable, but my "winter" size 38 was acceptable. My only worry is the height of the harness holes, but until I do some test fitting in the car with pics I'll refrain from judgement. I also have a few solutions in mind. The bottom cushions are removable, and you can access the foam inside for trimming if need be. More pics of those soon.
    Last edited by Canadian818; 01-17-2014 at 12:21 AM.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    So it turns out I'm terrible at maintaining a build thread, its been over a month! I usually browse the forum on my iPhone, and never break out the laptop to post pics. Anyway...

Plugged up the steering rack holes, haven't seen it done quite this way yet.

Grabbed a few bolts from the hardware store, had to cut the heads off to fit them in. Slotted them so I could tighten with a screwdriver. The other two were subframe bolts I think. Couldn't find my locktite so I put some JB on the threads.

Then I cut them flush.

More updates tomorrow, finally got my oven wired in the garage so its time to start powder coating.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast