Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  104
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam's Canadian 13B Rotary 818-SR Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! The wing is the APR GT300, the one FFR sells for the GTM and 818R. Had I known I was going to go widebody I would've gotten a wider wing, oh well.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    You can still modify your wing and make it wider. Don't ask me how, you're the "widening" pro, here. lolll
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    You can still modify your wing and make it wider. Don't ask me how, you're the "widening" pro, here. lolll
    I think I'm done with widening for now, lol.

Each panel I put on gets me more excited. It's amazing how long it takes to position everything just right.

This angle is a head scratcher, can't figure out if it looks bad or not bad at all. The crease that goes up the fender, along the door and into the scoop obviously doesn't line up since the front is widened. In hindsight I would've just modified the fenders versus the hood and bumper, but so is life. I've considered sanding down the crease, either in the fender, or the door, or both. The door one does feed nicely into the scoop so it finishes well, but doesn't come from anywhere. Any thoughts?
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Had to read your post a couple times to see what you meant. Unless you point it out I didn't even notice it. I think your choice of mirrors can mask the difference in the crease.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Had to read your post a couple times to see what you meant. Unless you point it out I didn't even notice it. I think your choice of mirrors can mask the difference in the crease.
    That's a good point, maybe I should reconsider my mirror choice. I was going to get a set of APR carbon GT3 style mirrors, but maybe I should go with a bigger OEM mirror. I think someone here used s2000 mirrors, now to find them...
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it looks fine. Hard to notice. I'm using S2000 mirrors and copied from someone else. Two complete assemblies were not that expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it, adds interest in my opinion. Wait until you wrap it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Adam, I've been gone too long and now I as I catch up with build threads I see i missed some awesome work. Wow.
    Funny, I just cut off the tabs on my headlights after repeatedly having issues with the fit. I actually got so frustrated I took out the lights, lined it all up, and now going back to force the lights in.
    I ended up bonding some attachment points on below the lights and will now try what you did to rotate the light into position.
    Guess what the tabs were in the way all along.
    On the body line issue, I agree with flynntuna, the mirrors choice can hide the difference.
    Looking good. keep it up.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! No pics today, just been busy shaping the passenger side scoop and hood, and sanding, and filling, and sanding some more. I see it's going to be a challenge to get nice gaps with this body, everything is lining up but the gaps are far from even along the length of each panel.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    Thanks guys! No pics today, just been busy shaping the passenger side scoop and hood, and sanding, and filling, and sanding some more. I see it's going to be a challenge to get nice gaps with this body, everything is lining up but the gaps are far from even along the length of each panel.
    Check out this whole thread for ideas on evening up panel gaps if you haven't already. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-build)-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero STI View Post
    Check out this whole thread for ideas on evening up panel gaps if you haven't already. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-build)-Thread
    One of the best build threads, I've gone back to it a few times.

Can anyone tell me if there's any relays used for the wipers? My harness is all cut up, the wire colours match but some of them are a different gauge so it makes me think that it's not direct from the column to the motor. My battery was dead (forgot to put the tender on), so I wasn't able to figure out if the switch gets power through the ignition or one of my yet to identify wires to the switch. Once I know that I'll be able to wire in the fuse.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like no relay:
    wiper.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Looks like no relay:
    wiper.jpg
    Thanks!
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally faced the music today. I knew, and everyone told me that when you buy a used rotary that a rebuild is pretty much mandatory. A little part of me hoped it would be strong enough to get it registered and then rebuild it, but I don't think that's an option with only one rotor and weak at that. I've done a lot of work on it recently, and was excited to start showing it all off, but no driving it anytime soon.

Here's a little video of my compression tests, I thought it was neat with slo-mo how you can clearly see the different faces of the rotor compressing. I'm not sure, but I believe Mazda's spec is around 110psi and obviously little to no difference between them.

I think I'll continue on with my body fitment, I'll update my progress soon.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Well Adam I am sorry to hear that, but if it makes you feel better this was my third time pulling the motor from the car this last time from a cooling issue. Us Edmontonians don't have any motor luck eh? Best of luck with the rebuild, if you ever need a hand let me know, I have always wanted to see how a rotary motor is rebuilt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Upside, you're correct. The slo-mo was pretty cool. Also probably won't make you feel any better, I was hoping to get my car registered with the used engine, and like you have to rebuild it first instead. And it's not even a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iblackwe View Post
    Well Adam I am sorry to hear that, but if it makes you feel better this was my third time pulling the motor from the car this last time from a cooling issue. Us Edmontonians don't have any motor luck eh? Best of luck with the rebuild, if you ever need a hand let me know, I have always wanted to see how a rotary motor is rebuilt.
    Not sure if I'm going to rebuild it myself or not. There's a pretty strong rotary community here, and a reputable builder offered to rebuild and port it for a very reasonable price. He also reluctantly agreed to let me watch it be assembled. So I'll probably go with him so I have some piece of mind. You should definitely come by for a beer and check it out though.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    Upside, you're correct. The slo-mo was pretty cool. Also probably won't make you feel any better, I was hoping to get my car registered with the used engine, and like you have to rebuild it first instead. And it's not even a rotary.
    I think we all hope that. We repair/replace just about every other part, nickel and dime our budget out the window and then cross our fingers on the engine. Kit car life I guess.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Been making progress, slow and steady. I decided since I didn't widen the rear bumper I should try to make my life as difficult as possible and try to use different taillights. Someone put FRS taillights on a GTM flipped upside down and switched sides. I liked the look, and thought it would suit the 818 body lines even better. Eventually I'll buy some smoked LED lights, but I picked up these oem ones for $100 locally for now.

To aid in locating them and minimize the effort in cutting out the bumper I made a mold of the light.

Then painted it black and taped it on.

And here's some sketches I did planning the bumper cutouts. The top one is what I'm leaning towards, however I'm going to change up the slots a bit.

Any feedback on the cutouts would be helpful, with so many options it's hard to decide what looks best.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Of the three I like the top one too. I wonder though if you'll get a whistling with the narrow sits . Great idea on the tail lights.

Now are you integrating a wing on that intercooler box over the trunk.
    Last edited by flynntuna; 04-23-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here - the one on the top is cool.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Of the three I like the top one too. I wonder though if you'll get a whistling with the narrow sits . Great idea on the tail lights.

Now are you integrating a wing on that intercooler box over the trunk.
    Haha, I knew I should've taken another pic without the box. If I can hear any whistling my engine is blown, lol. I got to hear some street ported rotaries this weekend at a drift event, wind noise isn't a worry.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the overall idea of the top one, but not a big fan of the straight slots. It looks a bit 1980's to me.

Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    We just rebuilt 4 street ports for our EP cars after years of people telling us that it was rocket science. It is not. Before you pull it though, it looks like you may just have some stuck seals. you can try running some 2 stroke oil through it, or last resort, some ATF. If you use ATF, you need to run 2 stroke right after that, as ATF and the o rings don't get along well. You don't need it running when you do it, but is better if you do. I should start right up once you have some 2 stroke in there.

We run carbs, so not sure what it will do to sensors.

If you do decide to rebuild your own, you will need to invest is some special tools (Mazdatrix and Atkins have what you need), I would not suggest learning from someone, as guys have a tendency to take short cuts and teach bad habbits. Clean, Clean, Clean, then Measure everything! clearances make all of the difference, as to long a side seal will bind (bad) and too short a side seal will cost you compression (bad).

BTW, we had a stock turbo housing ceramic coated for a project we never completed if you have any interest.

Rotary+Subaru=

Post Thanks / Like
    I just came over to this forum from the "other FFR " forum. I'm glad to see other people are using rotary engines in their builds.
    I'm currently building a rotary powered GTM and was wondering if anyone has a driving rotary powered 818 yet.
    Robert GTM 407 & 427

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRacing View Post
    We just rebuilt 4 street ports for our EP cars after years of people telling us that it was rocket science. It is not. Before you pull it though, it looks like you may just have some stuck seals. you can try running some 2 stroke oil through it, or last resort, some ATF. If you use ATF, you need to run 2 stroke right after that, as ATF and the o rings don't get along well. You don't need it running when you do it, but is better if you do. I should start right up once you have some 2 stroke in there.

We run carbs, so not sure what it will do to sensors.

If you do decide to rebuild your own, you will need to invest is some special tools (Mazdatrix and Atkins have what you need), I would not suggest learning from someone, as guys have a tendency to take short cuts and teach bad habbits. Clean, Clean, Clean, then Measure everything! clearances make all of the difference, as to long a side seal will bind (bad) and too short a side seal will cost you compression (bad).

BTW, we had a stock turbo housing ceramic coated for a project we never completed if you have any interest.

Rotary+Subaru=
    I often check the forum on my phone when I'm out, or at work, just to see what everyone is up to. I know I read this, but wherever or whatever I was doing at the time I must have skimmed through it. When I noticed Arrowsteel's new post I read back to see where things left off and re-read your post. Then I proceeded to spend an hour reading about stuck seals, and you may have just saved me from waiting to rebuild!

I had visually inspected the apex seals through the exhaust ports before the engine went in, and they were intact but everything had lots of carbon build up. So later today I'm going to pull the exhaust/turbo/manifold and physically inspect the seals to see if they're stuck. The rear rotor has great compression, so a comparison should be easy. Marvel Miracle Oil seems to be a popular choice versus ATF, so I'll try that after an initial clean with carb cleaner and a brush from the exhaust port. Plan is to just hand crank it a few times to get it everywhere and leave it overnight. Then another compression test tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion! Fingers crossed, I still need to test the coolant system for exhaust gases, but if this works I could be test driving it this week!
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowsteel View Post
    I just came over to this forum from the "other FFR " forum. I'm glad to see other people are using rotary engines in their builds.
    I'm currently building a rotary powered GTM and was wondering if anyone has a driving rotary powered 818 yet.
    Robert GTM 407 & 427
    Can you post a link to your build thread? I'd love to check it out. Have you seen the SLC with the three rotor? Upon seeming that I immediately thought someone needs to do that to a GTM!
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I've made a few post on the GTM forum and they should be easy to find.
    This is the link:
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/#/topics/598913?page=1
    Robert GTM 407 & 427

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    This forum is not allowing my links to be posted... :-(

Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect your picture size is too big. Think
    1024 x 768 is max.

Post Thanks / Like
    good luck Adam. Hope its just the seals.
    Harley
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    It appears I can't post web links to this site.
    anyway, if anyone is interested in following my rotary GTM build its on the other forum.
    Robert GTM #407 & 427

Post Thanks / Like
    anyway, if anyone is interested in following my rotary GTM build its on the other forum.
    Robert GTM #407 & 427
    You need a minimum of at least 10 posts before you can post pics etc. I think its 10.
    Harley
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Robert GTM #407 & 427
    Here's your link, good luck with the build!

Rotary GTM build discussion

So you're going to use a 13b? What porting, turbo, transmission are you thinking of using?
    Last edited by Canadian818; 05-08-2017 at 04:56 PM.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley818 View Post
    good luck Adam. Hope its just the seals.
    Thanks Harley, I didn't get to it today. I figured if I'm unsuccessful then I wouldn't want to reinstall the turbo and exhaust to fab up heat shielding so I worked on that. Mostly done, so I should get to it tomorrow.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running a 13B with a Cartech blow though turbo set up. It runs 2 Webber downdrafts a 48 and a 44. There is no ECU on this set up. It runs 3 coils and a MSD box for the leading plugs and as a rev limiter. Engine was dynoed at around 450 HP. Trans is a 6 speed cable shifted WRX trans out of a 2017 STI...
    Robert GTM # 407 & 427

Post Thanks / Like
    The link you posted is old, the new link has pictures of my build.
    I tried to load it but still no luck.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    The link you posted is old, the new link has pictures of my build.
    I tried to load it but still no luck.
    Fixed it. That's gonna be sick!

Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Thanks. I'm really glad I waited to cut it, still not sure what I like best. Been meaning to draw up a few more.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast