Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DCs 818r

Post Thanks / Like

DCs 818r

Hey there, my name is Dan Clary, I live in northern CA. It is new year so I thought I would start my thread. Chassis is not coming until June 14 but I have been doing stuff and keeping up with the forum since I ordered in August. First and foremost I want to thank those of you who have shared their struggles and made my build so much easier. I have built race cars and hot rods in the past, this will be my first kit car. I think I have reasonable expectations for the kit when it arrives as far as fit and finish and backordered parts. With an R car I have a certain amount of freedom to use or delete factory parts. I started with an 03 wagon donor, in hindsight I could have gone non donor and saved myself a lot of work. I will post some pictures when I get time and talent with the camera and keep everyone current. though most of what I have done has been done before, there may be a few twists.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dan,

What organization are you going to be racing with?

I have an S kit and my friend has an R on order (delivery scheduled for the end of March).

John

Post Thanks / Like
    I auto cross with a local club and do some open track at Sonoma and Thunderhill. Nothing serious. The club autocross has very loose rules as far as modifications. Just # of cylinders and tire type so its pretty low key. Same with open track. I suppose if there were enough 818s for a new challenge series I could get interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dan, I took delivery of my 818r last sept. It is currently a roller, waiting for my engine so I can do the wiring. I am up in Red Bluff. I autocross with Trinity Touring Club, and run at Thunderhill when I can. Anything I can help with, let me know. Dr. D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Healdsburg and run with the Empire Sports Car club. What are you running for an engine. I am starting stock until I get it sorted out or blown up. Same with the trans, though I have put an OBX posi in it. What kind of tires are you going to run?

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually graduated from high school in Healdsburg, Rio Lindo Academy up on Fitch Mountain. I am running an 06 2.5 wrx with upgraded turbo and intercooler. I am running 17 inch front and rear to keep tire costs down. Roger Kraus Racing is still researching tire options for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, my kids graduated from there last June.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you planning on running dot slicks or pure race tire, I have been running Hankook Ventus c-17 compound (soft) I get a season and a little more before they slick up. they don't wear out they just loose all grip. They are very reasonably priced through tire rack

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the maddnes, enjoy the build!!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    818-10 002.JPG818-10 004.JPG
    This is what I have for a motor, stock 2.0, new timing belt, water pump, valve cover gaskets and cam seals. I'm not a subie guy yet, but I read the posts on the cooling system. I tapped the holes in the water pump and made new hoses to bypass the heater and to the degass tank. I don't like rubber hoses on race cars so I am trying to lose as many as possible. You might notice the lightened alternator mount.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    very cool, what size tap is that?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    The large hose is 3/8 pipe and the small is1/4

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Dan, On my last autocross car(3 liter 914 six) I ran Goodyear slicks one season, and hoosier DOTs after that. I am planning to run slicks on the 818, just not sure which ones yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    The hoosier a-6 is faster the Hankook, but drops off quicker, wears out faster and costs 30% more. r-6 is a little better wear but slower. Hankook is still a better buy for a DOT slick. What kind of rules to they have up there? we are pretty light on rules, just # of cylinders, boost and tire wear rating. anything under 140 is a race tire. I run an SVO mustang very modified but only penalty is the boost witch bumps me to 6 cyl class. The 818 will be the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    We run SCCA rules and classes. Not sure where that puts the 818. We start testing and tuning runs in Jan. Points start in April. I was hoping to have the 818 in go cart mode by End of Jan. Not looking good.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like those braided lines on the water pump. Your coolant bracket shipped out this evening. It should arrive Saturday.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I can finish making hoses for the cooling system and start on something else

Post Thanks / Like
    818-11 001.JPG818-11 002.JPG
    Finished my spindles, new bearings packed with redline grease, cut down my cv joints. They are only hardened were the balls ride in the joint. was able to cut easily on the lathe. A better pic of my alternator bracket. Nascar guy Junior Johnson said a long time ago, "all you need to make a light car is a file and some patience"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D Clary View Post
    818-11 001.JPG818-11 002.JPG
    Finished my spindles, new bearings packed with redline grease, cut down my cv joints. They are only hardened were the balls ride in the joint. was able to cut easily on the lathe. A better pic of my alternator bracket. Nascar guy Junior Johnson said a long time ago, "all you need to make a light car is a file and some patience"
    I didn't have a lathe I had to make due with what I had.makedue2.JPGmakedue1.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Ouch! looks like more work. On the lathe I was able to cut from the inside out. Either way gets it done.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The large hose is 3/8 pipe and the small is1/4
    6AN and 4AN respectively?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    no, -10 and -6, I got aluminum fittings and hose from summit. stainless from McMaster carr The stainless hose I had made for something else but it fit this perfectly otherwise I would have used aluminum

Post Thanks / Like
    Junior Johnson's comment about a file and patience reminds me that in Mark Donahue's book, "Unfair Advantage", he explained acid-dipping. In the 1950s they dipped the frame in a vat of acid to shed pounds!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    At long last got the call and sent the check woohoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    My kit is supposed to be done on the 14th. UPS guy dropped of the rear wing today, getting closer, been waiting since August

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Isn't the wing beautiful looking? I'm in the process of mounting it today & tomorrow. Congrats on the kit, so close. I'm down to race Thunder hill again when your build is done

Post Thanks / Like
    They just opened the 5 mile course last week, super fast. The wing is awesome looking, wife wont let me put it on the mantle

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    wife wont let me put it on the mantle

Thunderhill West looks huge! Willow Springs might loose its slogan, "fastest track in the west"

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting bored waiting for my kit, ordered last August seem late.car stand 001.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    818 arrival 002.JPG818 arrival 001.JPGGuess what showed up today!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick lookover, powder coat looks very good at this point, no chips but some weld spatter that could have been cleaned. not to much backorder stuff. hope it comes in before I need it. Stewart guy was great no problems at all with transport, no scuffs on the body and all of the corners seem to have a good finish. I am very relieved after hearing and seeing some of the powder coat issues and stewart horror stories. For me they were all non issues. Now all I have is everything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Went on vacation for a week so all work stopped. now trying to regroup and gather parts. Waiting for 11 months for the kit,818july 002.JPG I bought and lost a lot of parts that I need to re-locate. Work will go fairly quickly mostly because of the guys on this forum, once again thanks for saving me endless aggravation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are there plans around somewhere for this chassis dolly?

Also, are the holes drilled in the pads to mount a piece that clamps the frame down to the dolly and prevent it from falling off?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think AZ Pete has the dolly plans. Most are made of wood but I am not a wood guy. I strapped the chassis to the dolly when we moved it from the truck but I don't think it needs to be attached beyond that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my post about the chassis dolly. Read through to the end because there were a few mods.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Chassis-Dolly
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got the front together and rear is mocked up. I think I'll put the engine in tomorrow. I changed the pan and pickup today. Wayne was correct the oem pickup was cracked. They appear to use to much heat when they are brazing it together. The tubing cracks around the overheated area. I ended up shortening the upper control arms a good inch to get 3 degrees of camber with a little adjustment. I am still looking at the length of the lower rear link. It seems to fit best between 20 1/4 and 20 1/2. We'll see when I get everything tight what it takes to square the chassis. I set the bump steer the same as Plavan but I added a little length to the spacer because of the increase caster. With 2 inches travel up and down I have less than .010 with 4 degrees of caster. The spacers are about 2.495.818aug05 001.JPG818aug05 002.JPG818aug05 003.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    818 rear 002.JPG818 rear 003.JPG818 rear 004.JPGI've had the kit for a month now and progress has been a little slow. finally finished the rear suspension, installed the motor and transaxle. Took al little screwing around but got the clutch plumbed and working818 rear 001.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I like with you did with the lower trailing arm to knuckle connection. I've been debating if going single sheer would put too much stress on the ear of the knuckle since its cast.
    What did you do to keep it centered? Pressed in solid bushing? Stepped spacers on each side?

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a 2 piece aluminum bushing pressed in from both sides. I don't see the knuckle breaking, if it is cast it is cast steel. The weak link is the aluminum arms and I have never broken one without an impact. the heims are good for 24k radial load. I tried Waynes arms stock and ebays. I didn't like how any of them fit on the rear bushing. There was always a miss alignment that tweaked the bushing around and it bothered me. Probably doesn't hurt anything ,just bothered me. The other plus is weight, these are very light.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast