BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How to assemble the Axles

Post Thanks / Like

How to assemble the Axles

Hey All

I am getting ready to put the axles together and not sure what end goes where.. In the manual it says to put the smaller cv boot on the end that necks down further, but both necks are the same length.. Each end is also different, one end has two slots in it and the teeth go all the way to the end of the axle and the other end the teeth stop short of the end of the axle, so i need to know what end goes where.. There are also slots in the axles that makes me think a snap ring might go there, but when I put the CV joints on the axle they do not go on far enough to get a snap ring in the slot.. So I am guessing the a snap ring is not needed??

Thank Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    On the outside of the CV there should be a ring cut into the housing on one side. This ring goes AWAY for the axle. So long as you have not disassembled the CV, this should orient the center star in the correct position. Snap ring is required. If you have disassembled the CV, then my video will show you how to properly put it back together again...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZOCjwSXgkQ
    Last edited by crash; 01-13-2014 at 12:23 PM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    On the end that the splines go all the way to the end is the corvette side, other side is the porsche side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Guys

When I slide the CV Joints on the axles there is not room to get a snap ring in that slot, I will have to let FFR know I have this problem.. I know I have the right CV Joints so I am not sure why they don't slide far enough in to get the snap ring on..

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    You should just post some pics. I dought FFR will help figure it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will take some pictures tonight when I get home and put them up on here.

Thanks
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

For what it's worth - this is the one part of the build that I took to a local mechanic and had them assemble. $25 later I was done. Just a thought.

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    I put mine together twice, I had to redo the whole thing after I realized the axels are too short. 2 years ago I remembered seing two new axles that came with the kit, they are the right lenght. That's what I get for not reading the manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got home last night and thought that I had to be doing some thing wrong and things had to fit together and there was some thing I just wasn't seeing.. Well after reading the post by Crash saying the ring goes away from the axle, I put one of the CV Joints on and sure enough it slid on far enough to get the snap ring in.. I did read the manual, but they didn't mention any thing about a ring on the CV Joints or what direction they are suppose to go.. I also pulled out the donor CV Joints for the Corvette side and also can see how that goes together on the new axles.. I just need to run down and get some new grease for the corvette side and I am ready to put the new axles together and get them on the car..

Thanks for all the help!

Mike
    Last edited by sonex772; 01-14-2014 at 01:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonex772 View Post
    I got home last night and thought that I had to be doing some thing wrong and things had to fit together and there was some thing I just wasn't seeing.. Well after reading the post by Crash saying the ring goes away from the axle, I put one of the CV Joints on and sure enough it slid on far enough to get the snap ring in.. I did read the manual, but they didn't mention any thing about a ring on the CV Joints or what direction they are suppose to go.. I also pulled out the donor CV Joints for the Corvette side and also can see how that goes together on the new axles.. I just need to run down and get some new grease for the corvette side and I am ready to put the new axles together and get them on the car..

Thanks for all the help!

Mike
    The corvette side ring will need to be compressed, into it's seat on the shaft, in order to get the shaft into the CV without destroying it in the process. A hose clamp and a short length of sheet metal will work for this.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    The corvette side ring will need to be compressed, into it's seat on the shaft, in order to get the shaft into the CV without destroying it in the process. A hose clamp and a short length of sheet metal will work for this.
    I wish I would have thought of that, man I stuggled, twice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was looking at those rings today while working on the axles at lunch time today wondering how I was going to get the CV Joints back over those rings.. They look like they would be a real pain without the right tool.. So, thanks for the tip, I will put it to use tonight..

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the same, used a hose clamp and a sheet metal to make a sleeve. Like a ring compressor.
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I gave this a try when I got home last night and for some reason I couldn't get it to work for me.. I got the ring compressed, put the CV Joint on the axle and uses a rubber hammer to tap it on, it pushed the metal off of the ring but the CV Joint didn't go passed the ring.. I did this several time with no luck, so I am not sure what I am doing wrong..

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I gave this a try when I got home last night and for some reason I couldn't get it to work for me.. I got the ring compressed, put the CV Joint on the axle and uses a rubber hammer to tap it on, it pushed the metal off of the ring but the CV Joint didn't go passed the ring.. I did this several time with no luck, so I am not sure what I am doing wrong..

Mike
    The "tap" is likely the issue. With the ring compressed, the initial strike to the shaft should be made with enough force to push the ring into the the CV. From there you can tap it to seat it properly.

HTHs.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    The "tap" is likely the issue. With the ring compressed, the initial strike to the shaft should be made with enough force to push the ring into the the CV. From there you can tap it to seat it properly.

HTHs.
    I more that likely wasn't hitting it hard enough!!

I did find a video on Youtube on how to do it with a hammer and screw driver.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S-ofMoWsr0 go to 6:30 on the video to see it..

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    My problem is not the corvette side, I don't have the cv joints that fit the corvette axel and bolts to my Porsche GT3 Trans. Where can I find CV joints that fit the trans and the axel

Post Thanks / Like
    Post #2 in this thread, will get you the right part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the referral fastthings.

Here's a link to the exact completion kit...

http://www.myraceshop.com/930_CV_Kit.html
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mike
    The C clips are different and that technique will not work. You'll destroy the clip.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE: