Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: THE K-tuned shifter thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

THE K-tuned shifter thread

I decided to start a thread on the K-tuned shifter I got from Wayne (Very Cool Parts).

I will be getting to mine soon eventually, and already have some questions.

Tom posted photos of his install here, and this helps to see how the tranny side goes together.

These help, and since I just pulled the Subie shift bracket off the back of my donor's tranny, I can start on that end of things. One question I have is: do the FFR cable washers get used with the shifter? If so, they seem to need trimming to fit the k-tuned shifter, if not, what washers are used? I'm not clear on how to assemble that end of it.

Wayne/Tom/Eric... I know all of you have used it successfully, but I'd really appreciate it if you chime in with any additional install tip and photos for us mere mortals. I figured a new thread makes more sense than PMs, so that it's documented here on the forum. The shifter is so cool, I have to believe a lot of builders will be putting it in!

Thanks,

Lee

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    You will have to slot the cut FFR bracket so you can center the cable properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    You will have to slot the cut FFR bracket so you can center the cable properly.
    Thanks, Tom. I've had to slot a few holes to make things fit, so no problem.

Do you have any photos of how the cables attach to the shifter. That's what I'm unsure of.

Thanks,

Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    Like this? I haven't trimmed the FFR bracket yet.

818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
    Like this? I haven't trimmed the FFR bracket yet.

Thanks! Have you atteched the cable to the levers under the k-tuned shifter? I dont see how to secure them with out trimming the ffr supplied washers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Thanks, Tom. I've had to slot a few holes to make things fit, so no problem.

Do you have any photos of how the cables attach to the shifter. That's what I'm unsure of.

Thanks,

Lee
    I did not use the FFR washers. the cables go to the shifter bracket and you adjust to the center of the throw. The cable that goes to the arm on the rear of the trans goes to left and right movement arm. The other to the fore and aft arm of the shifter. I did not bolt down the shifter till I had everything adjusted and shifting properly. Mine shifts so nice and quick. It was money well spent IMO. Sorry I did not take photos of the shifter attachment.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1. I didn't use the FFR washers either.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the extra info... good to know the FFR washers are not needed. I get the gist of attaching the cables, it just seems like some washers should in where the cable attaches to the push pull levers under the shifter. I'm sure I'll figure it out when I get there. I'll be working on the back of the tranny first, so thanks for the extra info, guys!

Mine shifts so nice and quick. It was money well spent IMO.
    That's what I like to hear! Can't wait to try it out.

Also, to consolidate info on the shifter in one thread, here's another post from Tom's thread

I have had some questions asked of me on the shifter brackets. Here is an answer I hope that helps. You cut the FFR bracket off at the end of the trans. The VCP shifter has the arm mounted up instead of down. You most likely will have to elongate the holes for the bolts to the trans on the side. Then install the VCP bracket for the other cable. I ran the cables under the intake to the shifter. Mount the cables to the trans first then locate your shifter. This worked well for me. Here is some photos. I hope this helps those who had questions.

Attachment 24397Attachment 24398Attachment 24399Attachment 24400

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    P.S. Of course I've already powder-coated the brackets, and now I have to trim them!

Post Thanks / Like

Cable ends

I received my K-Tuned shifter yesterday - yes, it's beautiful! I figured out that it needs the cable ends supplied by FRR, but FFR supplies three 1/4"-28 ball stud retainers with ball stud and one 13mm ball stud retainer. I think I need a 4th 1/4"-28 ball stud retainer with ball stud, right? Where can I buy one on those?
    Or, is there some way of using the 13mm ball stud?
    And, I assume the two holes on each of the shifter arms is for a choice of throw, right?

shifter cable ends.jpg
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    I received my K-Tuned shifter yesterday - yes, it's beautiful! I figured out that it needs the cable ends supplied by FRR, but FFR supplies three 1/4"-28 ball stud retainers with ball stud and one 13mm ball stud retainer. I think I need a 4th 1/4"-28 ball stud retainer with ball stud, right? Where can I buy one on those?
    Or, is there some way of using the 13mm ball stud?
    And, I assume the two holes on each of the shifter arms is for a choice of throw, right?

shifter cable ends.jpg
    Everything came with the shifter and 818 kit that I needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, I know it's been a while but do you remember how you connected the cables to the shifter? Did you use the same 1/4" - 28 ball stud retainers w/ ball stud that I see used in the above photos to connect the cables at the rear to the tranny? It's on the right in my photo and I think that's what I need.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the 4th 1/4" ball stud retainer came with the shifter from Wayne. IIRC

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, I know it's been a while but do you remember how you connected the cables to the shifter? Did you use the same 1/4" - 28 ball stud retainers w/ ball stud that I see used in the above photos to connect the cables at the rear to the tranny? It's on the right in my photo and I think that's what I need.
    I would PM Wayne. I think I used the ones on the right to the shifter. I do not have a good photo to reference. They threaded to the cable and bolted to the shifter. I ended up making my shifter for the longest throw. The other was too short for me. It still is very short throw and the feel is awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I checked the box thoroughly for parts so I'll PM Wayne.

Post Thanks / Like
    sub'd
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Wayne is sending me the 4th cable end I need. All"s good.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been playing with it today. I added Rori's parts. They are great. I just need to mount the shifter in the car.

Are you guys running the shift cables over the motor, our just around the side?

Anyone have pictures of the shifter being installed we can add to the thread?

Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Are you guys running the shift cables over the motor, our just around the side?
    I went under the intake manifold. There's plenty of room under the drivers side.

Here's my shifter install:

Last edited by rori; 04-27-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Start out by putting Place the shifter assembly where you want it, drill 3/16" holes through the 3/4" tube and through the mounting tabs. Open the hole to 5/16" on just the outside side of the frame tube and install the 10/32 bolts and nuts.

Remove the 4 bolts holding the plates to the tab.

Install the aluminum over the tabs, cut out the opening between the plate mounting bolts.

Install the 84" cable in the fore/aft arm, the 96" in the left/right arm, then center the adjusting nuts in the middle of the threads and tighten them.

Mount plate on the aluminum covered tabs.

Route the cables through the center of the intake along side the FFR supplied battery cable. Mount the FFR supplied shift arm up instead of down. Trim the bottom off the FFR supplied cable bracket as the new bracket moves the cable to the top.

Make sure the transmission is in neutral. Put the fore/aft cable in the bracket and center the threads on the adjusting nuts finger tight. Put the shifter in the center of its fore/aft movement, attach the pivot onto the ball on the shift arm and hold the FFR bracket against the trans mounting to see where you need to redrill the holes. Mark and drill the holes and bolt onto the trans. Then fully tighten the adjusting nuts.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have a new optional fore/aft cable bracket for those wanting a bolt on/cleaner look.

Mount the right/left cable bracket, install the cable so there is no preload on the cable either way and snap the end on the ball stud. Tighten the adjusting nuts.

Install shift knob of choice and you are all done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very helpful. Thanks Rori and Wayne.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the shifter all installed today. I'm not sure I can get it in all gears.

Rori- on your shifter arm, it hits the bracket (Wayne's kit, big bracket) on the second hole down on the Shifter arm. I moved it to the top hole. Is that where yours is now? Which holes did you use on the underside of the shifter? The arm with 3 holes I used the one closest to the base. The other arm only has one hole.

I'm going to need to adjust it more. I cant get it in all gears.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the shifter all installed today. I'm not sure I can get it in all gears.

Rori- on your shifter arm, it hits the bracket (Wayne's kit, big bracket) on the second hole down on the Shifter arm. I moved it to the top hole. Is that where yours is now? Which holes did you use on the underside of the shifter? The arm with 3 holes I used the one closest to the base. The other arm only has one hole.

I'm going to need to adjust it more. I cant get it in all gears.
    On my shift arm I am in the second hole. Clearance is really close in 5th gear, but nothing touches. Could you slot the hole in Wayne's bracket and move it down a little?

On the shifter assembly; the arm closest to the driver for the fore/aft cable, mine looks like Wayne welded up a second hole and that's the one I'm using, second from the bottom.

On the arm closest to the passenger for the left/right cable, I am using the bottom hole. When I tried the second hole I was having trouble getting reverse because the shifter assembly is limited in movement in that direction.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rori View Post
    On my shift arm I am in the second hole. Clearance is really close in 5th gear, but nothing touches. Could you slot the hole in Wayne's bracket and move it down a little?

On the shifter assembly; the arm closest to the driver for the fore/aft cable, mine looks like Wayne welded up a second hole and that's the one I'm using, second from the bottom.

On the arm closest to the passenger for the left/right cable, I am using the bottom hole. When I tried the second hole I was having trouble getting reverse because the shifter assembly is limited in movement in that direction.
    Use the bottom hole on the right/left and the top hole for the fore/aft cable. If you use the bottom hole it really shortens the shift movement too much in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    Use the bottom hole on the right/left and the top hole for the fore/aft cable. If you use the bottom hole it really shortens the shift movement too much in my opinion.
    Yes, this is where I have mine

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what I have currently. I think I'm missing a hole or two.

Rori, I was thinking of notching the rear, but wanted to make sure that's where you had it before I did.
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 04-28-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what I have currently. I think I'm missing a hole or two.
    Your arms look a little different than mine, but that looks like the right positions.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Chad,
    The newest ones have two holes on the L/R arm and only 2 on the fore/aft. YOu should have plenty of range to get all of the gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input- I'll mess around adjusting it some more.
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 04-28-2014 at 02:59 PM.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Figured it out.....Some Knucklehead maybe had 1 too many beers and swapped the cables under the shifter..... haha.

Swapped them back to the right locations. Shifts like butter!

I'm just going to have to swap sides of the balljoint on Rori's shift arm (Easy). It hits Wayne's bracket in 5th gear and wont go in, and is very close in 3rd. I could also notch the bracket like we discussed earlier.
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 04-30-2014 at 10:20 PM.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    rori - I like your large footpads on the left and right side front footwells. where did these come from?

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Boom- All installed. I love the feel. Thanks again Wayne and Rori.

Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dougkirkbride View Post
    rori - I like your large footpads on the left and right side front footwells. where did these come from?
    http://www.subtle-solutions.com/prod...roducts_id=128

Post Thanks / Like

Oh No, shifter fell down

The beautiful K-Tuned shifter from VCP fell down into the console!
    shifter mounted.JPG

So, I added a little coin cup in front of the shifter and two cup holders. I'm still working on, and thinking about, an arm rest to cover the E-brake mechanism.
    shifter cup holders.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    shifter mounted.JPG

So, I added a little coin cup in front of the shifter and two cup holders. I'm still working on, and thinking about, an arm rest to cover the E-brake mechanism.
    shifter cup holders.jpg
    Really cool idea! I like it!

Post Thanks / Like
    shifter mounted.JPG

shifter cup holders.jpg
    Does the shifter really have that short of throw? or is that just a first pass to fine tune the size of the cutout you will need?
    I agree with everyone that the K-Tuned shifter looks great, but I'm more interested in the feel and positive feedback it gives. Bling is nice but driving enjoyment comes first in my mind as far as placement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice looking Pete. Now I'm torn between copying Rori's style and basking in the glory of the billet aluminum or Pete's very clean set up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Boog, the throw is that short. The opening I've cut in the aluminum for the shift lever allows me to shift into all gears. The feeling is crisp and sharp so there's no slop and it's clear where the gears are, even though the throw is short. I'm close to go-karting around the 'hood but so far in my garage it shifts very nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice work Pete! very clean. i bought the shifter thinking I would "show it off" your setup looks sweet....hummmm maybe drop it like you have it and put it in a lexan fishbowl so to speak...best of both worlds........wow i should just stay off this forum, i am never going to finish this car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast