Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gtm build difficulty.

Post Thanks / Like

gtm build difficulty.

Hi, I don't know very much about cars and would like to learn more. I love the gym and would love to build it, is it difficult to build and are there any books you would recommend to help me learn about cars and how to build cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy the FFR GTM manual from FFR, and do research on the internet that would include going through peoples build sites. It is a bit of work, but small compared to the amount of work the GTM takes.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. I have never built the GTM (but have built many roadster, coupes, hot-rods) but from viewing the posts here on the forum I would say that it is the most difficult of the five products. I would start by looking at all of the threads in the GTM section of the forum. Where are you located? There are GTM's now all over the place so more than likely one is near you to look at and talk to the builder.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    ok thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok thanks for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like
    will the FFR GTM manual teach me about wiring and everything else

Post Thanks / Like
    mfitz1,

The build manual will help. If you have no experience, you may want to attend the FFR build school at Mott Community College in Michigan. They build a roadster (or a '33) as part of the class. While it won't teach you everything, it will give you an exposure to many aspects of the build - installing the master cylinders, bending and flaring brake lines, bleeding brakes, some wiring, crimp connectors (weatherpack), riveting the aluminum panels, hanging the suspension, installing the steering rack, preliminary alignment, fuel systems, and a lot more. Again, a minimal investment compared to building a GTM.

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    ok thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    is there any other ways i can learn more about cars and how to build them, and bodywork.

but i will definitely buy the gtm manual

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a lot of GTM threads with pics and an explanation of what is going on... some of them vid logs walking you through what they are doing. Plenty of info can be found if ya just look a little

Post Thanks / Like
    mfitz1

What experience do you have?

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a GTM kit about a year ago. I had first bought the manual and been on the forum for a few years. I came to the conclusion yesterday that I am no longer describing it as a kit car to people. From now on i am referring to it as a concept car. The impression you get from "kit car" is that you are going to have all the pieces in front of you with parts perfectly labeled and specific detailed instructions: insert peg A into hole B. This is very far from what the GTM is. The manual I would consider more for reference than anything. It would really be helpful to have experience in automotive electric, fuel systems, engines, etc. I am finding I have to research things at about the rate of 8 hrs to 1, in relation to actual work on the car.

So for example,you think to yourself, I'm going to install the fuel tanks today. You head to the garage pick up your manual and it gives some ok instructions. Then your reading them and it says drill a hole in the bottom of your tank. Well research will tell u many people had issues with leaking tanks. So go online for 3 hrs researching the forum. Oh, Shane sells a crossover kit to avoid leaking, oh someone else has aluminum tanks, this persons plastic fittings popped off the fuel line don't use them use AN fittings. Back to the garage... Look at your donor plastic fittings think about fuel spraying around an engine bay... Back to the computer research AN fittings and fuel pressure regulators. Wait. It's a filter regulator?? Why does that guy have a seperate fuel pump and regulator. Oh he is using the aluminum tanks and is feeding back off his aftermarket fuel rails. Schwew figured that out. Wait so I need to just feed the engine fuel rail? What about the jet pump that the manual says to tube up with the lines back and forth between the tanks?? Back to the computer because we don't use them anymore cause the tanks over flow. Start thread on forum. Wait for replies. After heated debate head back to garage.

Where is my credit card I need to order my AN fittings so I don't look like a fireball driving down the street. $216 in fittings omg. I guess cause I am getting new hose and fittings I should put in a new fuel filter $89!! Omg!!! Screw it. Order confirmation. Not in stock. Back ordered till the 18th. Back to the garage stare at fuel tank. Read manual.

Pick something easy, to accomplish because it is starting to get dark... Open manual. "Test fit tank apply weather stripping where tank makes contact with frame rails" Perfect I can do this!. Dig through parts boxes find what u think might be the correct weather stripping. Mark the frame, **** nothing writes on this black powder coating. Estimate length. Cut the weather stripping. Apply it all on the frame rails just as the manual says. YES! Accomplishment!! I stuck some weather stripping on a frame rail!! Open beer in celebration!
    Take a step back. Look at your work. Realize that there is supposed to be aluminum panels in all of that area when the car is complete. And that they really meant once the panels are installed then add the weather stripping.

Chug your beer, pull off the weatherstripping. Try and save your weather strip pieces by putting the m back on the crumpled up wax paper. That's never going to work. Why am I starting to cry. Get a hold of yourself man. This is your GTM!! Stand back and look at the progress for the day. Girlfriend comes in garage after watching a full season of some British war love story. How is it going. You know she doesn't really care. Says, "kinda looks the same as this morning". You point to the weather stripping but then change to your cover story and pretend your doing something with the wiring harness cause that thing looks complicated. She says wow, your so smart, and heads back inside. You've been able to keep your dignity for one more day.........
    Last edited by CRAZYBOB; 01-15-2014 at 05:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the grammar but was writing that from my phone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 68GT500MAN View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I have never built the GTM (but have built many roadster, coupes, hot-rods) but from viewing the posts here on the forum I would say that it is the most difficult of the five products. I would start by looking at all of the threads in the GTM section of the forum. Where are you located? There are GTM's now all over the place so more than likely one is near you to look at and talk to the builder.Doug
    I would also add, if you can locate someone that lives near you, if they are in process of building, offer to lend a hand. Being a helper is a great way of finding out if this type of project is for you.

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    CRAZYBOB, Perfect REALISTIC non koolaid drinking write up!!!

mfitz1 also remember that this car takes 1000-1500 man hours to build. So first thing I would do is sit down and realize how many hours you will have avalible to build this car in an average week. Then keep adding them up until you reach 1000... Not to mention the other 1000 hours you will spend on this forum! And 1 Trillion trips to the parts store. No one car argue with this logic! Its FACT!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob that was so frickin funny. Yes what a challenge it is to build a car. Blood, sweat, and tears, it's no joke.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybob View Post
    i bought a gtm kit about a year ago. I had first bought the manual and been on the forum for a few years. I came to the conclusion yesterday that i am no longer describing it as a kit car to people. From now on i am referring to it as a concept car. The impression you get from "kit car" is that you are going to have all the pieces in front of you with parts perfectly labeled and specific detailed instructions: Insert peg a into hole b. This is very far from what the gtm is. The manual i would consider more for reference than anything. It would really be helpful to have experience in automotive electric, fuel systems, engines, etc. I am finding i have to research things at about the rate of 8 hrs to 1, in relation to actual work on the car.

So for example,you think to yourself, i'm going to install the fuel tanks today. You head to the garage pick up your manual and it gives some ok instructions. Then your reading them and it says drill a hole in the bottom of your tank. Well research will tell u many people had issues with leaking tanks. So go online for 3 hrs researching the forum. Oh, shane sells a crossover kit to avoid leaking, oh someone else has aluminum tanks, this persons plastic fittings popped off the fuel line don't use them use an fittings. Back to the garage... Look at your donor plastic fittings think about fuel spraying around an engine bay... Back to the computer research an fittings and fuel pressure regulators. Wait. It's a filter regulator?? Why does that guy have a seperate fuel pump and regulator. Oh he is using the aluminum tanks and is feeding back off his aftermarket fuel rails. Schwew figured that out. Wait so i need to just feed the engine fuel rail? What about the jet pump that the manual says to tube up with the lines back and forth between the tanks?? Back to the computer because we don't use them anymore cause the tanks over flow. Start thread on forum. Wait for replies. After heated debate head back to garage.

Where is my credit card i need to order my an fittings so i don't look like a fireball driving down the street. $216 in fittings omg. I guess cause i am getting new hose and fittings i should put in a new fuel filter $89!! Omg!!! Screw it. Order confirmation. Not in stock. Back ordered till the 18th. Back to the garage stare at fuel tank. Read manual.

Pick something easy, to accomplish because it is starting to get dark... Open manual. "test fit tank apply weather stripping where tank makes contact with frame rails" perfect i can do this!. Dig through parts boxes find what u think might be the correct weather stripping. Mark the frame, **** nothing writes on this black powder coating. Estimate length. Cut the weather stripping. Apply it all on the frame rails just as the manual says. Yes! Accomplishment!! I stuck some weather stripping on a frame rail!! Open beer in celebration!
    Take a step back. Look at your work. Realize that there is supposed to be aluminum panels in all of that area when the car is complete. And that they really meant once the panels are installed then add the weather stripping.

Chug your beer, pull off the weatherstripping. Try and save your weather strip pieces by putting the m back on the crumpled up wax paper. That's never going to work. Why am i starting to cry. Get a hold of yourself man. This is your gtm!! Stand back and look at the progress for the day. Girlfriend comes in garage after watching a full season of some british war love story. How is it going. You know she doesn't really care. Says, "kinda looks the same as this morning". You point to the weather stripping but then change to your cover story and pretend your doing something with the wiring harness cause that thing looks complicated. She says wow, your so smart, and heads back inside. You've been able to keep your dignity for one more day.........
    rotflmbo!
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    not very much I'm only 14 i want to build one when I'm older

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mfitz1 View Post
    not very much I'm only 14 i want to build one when I'm older
    I like it. Go big or go home!

Truthfully though, I would look for someone local to you to get some experience in building stuff before attempting a GTM build. It is not a basic or easy build.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    alright

Post Thanks / Like

Rotflmao!

Damn CrazyBob that is one of the funniest posts I have ever read!! Love it. Spot on. I was planning to start my build this fall and after spending a long weekend with the manual decided to buy a completed GTM and do some mods that I can handle without losing my patience and my mind. I have built engines/suspension work/electical work/painted four cars......but I could not see myself building a GTM without losing my marbles. My hats off and many kudos to each of you that have tackled it. You guys are amazingly talented.

mfitz1, love it that a kid your age has goals and dreams like this. Awesome. I rebuilt my first engine when I was 14 and ended up selling that car for twice what I had in it and became a life long "gearhead" as a result. Don't give up that dream - build one someday. For now, the best thing you can do at your age is to see if you can get a job with a local shop and learn the only real way to learn this stuff, with grease under your fingernails learning it as you do it. I bet if you show this kind of interest in learning the trade someone will give you a chance to learn it and do it. Go for it and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYBOB View Post
    I bought a GTM kit about a year ago. I had first bought the manual and been on the forum for a few years. I came to the conclusion yesterday that I am no longer describing it as a kit car to people. From now on i am referring to it as a concept car. The impression you get from "kit car" is that you are going to have all the pieces in front of you with parts perfectly labeled and specific detailed instructions: insert peg A into hole B. This is very far from what the GTM is. The manual I would consider more for reference than anything. It would really be helpful to have experience in automotive electric, fuel systems, engines, etc. I am finding I have to research things at about the rate of 8 hrs to 1, in relation to actual work on the car.

So for example,you think to yourself, I'm going to install the fuel tanks today. You head to the garage pick up your manual and it gives some ok instructions. Then your reading them and it says drill a hole in the bottom of your tank. Well research will tell u many people had issues with leaking tanks. So go online for 3 hrs researching the forum. Oh, Shane sells a crossover kit to avoid leaking, oh someone else has aluminum tanks, this persons plastic fittings popped off the fuel line don't use them use AN fittings. Back to the garage... Look at your donor plastic fittings think about fuel spraying around an engine bay... Back to the computer research AN fittings and fuel pressure regulators. Wait. It's a filter regulator?? Why does that guy have a seperate fuel pump and regulator. Oh he is using the aluminum tanks and is feeding back off his aftermarket fuel rails. Schwew figured that out. Wait so I need to just feed the engine fuel rail? What about the jet pump that the manual says to tube up with the lines back and forth between the tanks?? Back to the computer because we don't use them anymore cause the tanks over flow. Start thread on forum. Wait for replies. After heated debate head back to garage.

Where is my credit card I need to order my AN fittings so I don't look like a fireball driving down the street. $216 in fittings omg. I guess cause I am getting new hose and fittings I should put in a new fuel filter $89!! Omg!!! Screw it. Order confirmation. Not in stock. Back ordered till the 18th. Back to the garage stare at fuel tank. Read manual.

Pick something easy, to accomplish because it is starting to get dark... Open manual. "Test fit tank apply weather stripping where tank makes contact with frame rails" Perfect I can do this!. Dig through parts boxes find what u think might be the correct weather stripping. Mark the frame, **** nothing writes on this black powder coating. Estimate length. Cut the weather stripping. Apply it all on the frame rails just as the manual says. YES! Accomplishment!! I stuck some weather stripping on a frame rail!! Open beer in celebration!

Chug your beer, pull off the weatherstripping. Try and save your weather strip pieces by putting the m back on the crumpled up wax paper. That's never going to work. Why am I starting to cry. Get a hold of yourself man. This is your GTM!! Stand back and look at the progress for the day. Girlfriend comes in garage after watching a full season of some British war love story. How is it going. You know she doesn't really care. Says, "kinda looks the same as this morning". You point to the weather stripping but then change to your cover story and pretend your doing something with the wiring harness cause that thing looks complicated. She says wow, your so smart, and heads back inside. You've been able to keep your dignity for one more day.........

Post Thanks / Like
    ok thanks for the reply

Post Thanks / Like

LOL that was funny as hell.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey MFITZ1

How hard is a GTM to build? That depends on lots of things.

I'll tell you this tho. I had been dreaming about this build for 10 years before I did it. I've never built anything before, but I did learn some skills when I was younger.

A few things that might help.
    When you are ready to drive get yourself an old car. The cheaper the better. Tons of stuff will break and you start to learn how cars work. You have to learn to fix your car to get anywhere. You will also need tools to fix your car. You will use those same tools to build your GTM

What Bob describes is funny to us all because we all do it and have done it.

Building your own car is awesome, but it's not for everyone. I do it because I actually enjoy the process Bob so artfully describes.

You need to work up to a GTM build with some life experience. Start now. Take things apart. Build yourself a go kart. You can get a 5hp motor from harbor freight for less then 200 bucks or better yet free in the garbage. Salvage some metal and wheels and you are on your way to the GTM build.

I still have my first old car and the go kart built from scraps. I love them as much as the GTM.

Hope that helps.

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kabacj View Post
    Hey MFITZ1

How hard is a GTM to build? That depends on lots of things.

I'll tell you this tho. I had been dreaming about this build for 10 years before I did it. I've never built anything before, but I did learn some skills when I was younger.

A few things that might help.
    When you are ready to drive get yourself an old car. The cheaper the better. Tons of stuff will break and you start to learn how cars work. You have to learn to fix your car to get anywhere. You will also need tools to fix your car. You will use those same tools to build your GTM

What Bob describes is funny to us all because we all do it and have done it.

Building your own car is awesome, but it's not for everyone. I do it because I actually enjoy the process Bob so artfully describes.

You need to work up to a GTM build with some life experience. Start now. Take things apart. Build yourself a go kart. You can get a 5hp motor from harbor freight for less then 200 bucks or better yet free in the garbage. Salvage some metal and wheels and you are on your way to the GTM build.

I still have my first old car and the go kart built from scraps. I love them as much as the GTM.

Hope that helps.

John
    John,

What excellent advice! I wish someone had given that to me years ago.

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the advice Ill have to build a go kart, i gotta start somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    in my opinion car building is mostly a labor of love. for years ive had the dream of one day building, but i decided buying one already complete would be far less maddening. there a puzzle. a puzzle i feel i can complete, but the hours upon hours of additional research when i hit a brick wall would drive me crazy. look what complete used gtm's sell for. maybe what 60 grand give or take? ive seen a few at 50k as well. if you build, 25k goes into the kit. then the cost of everything from a donor vehicle, or just buy it new. theres a supplier on ebay that supplies new donor parts kit minus the engine for 10k i think it was. so now your spending up to 35k. then the engine will set you back an additional 4 grand or so for an LS3. if your a go big or go home kind of guy, youd be doubling that price on a higher output motor. so now your at 40k minimum. now the transmission. the porsche g50 will set you back a few grand, more if you choose the better mendeola transmission. so your cars together now. but what about paint? maybe thats another 5 grand you got to spend. so whats your total cost? probably around the same they sell for. not to mention where did you get all the additional equipment to build your car like an engine crane? theres a lot you got to think about when building. plus the countless hours of labor and additional research involved. thats why i say its a labor of love. im just going to go the route of buying a gtm already complete years down the road. im not trying to put you off from building. if its a dream go for it. youd probably have fun. but for me i just want to avoid the parts that will create a headache and just hop into the drivers seat and go. but thats just me

Post Thanks / Like
    i see where your coming from i think half the fun would be building the car though

Post Thanks / Like
    i see where your coming from i think half the fun would be building the car though
    indeed. my uncle built a factory five cobra and he said he had more fun building the thing than actually driving it. his advice to me was to buy a gtm half complete that someones given up on. thats what he did. he bought his cobra half complete, tore it down and started from bare bones. its cheaper. and the occasional opportunity does arise. look on this site now, theres a gen 1 gtm still in the shipping boxes that the owner didnt have time for. what was he asking like 17ish if i remember? thats 8k less than what factory five wants from the gen 2. then theres another with all donor pieces that the owner claims hes dumped 48k in and is hoping to get at least 75% back. again another cheaper alternative for someone. youve got a lot of learning ahead of you, but with that plenty of time to learn as you said your only 14. thats the age i started learning the ins and outs of cars. i went to a technical high school and majored in automotive technology. after high school i went to college in a GM program and graduated in 2012 finishing top of the class. throughout college i worked in a small garage for about 2 years but by that time i had had enough. it was time to put down the wrenches and just hold on to it as a hobby. i learned a hell of a lot. thankfully theres a wealth of knowledge to be learned on this site. you should put it to good use

Post Thanks / Like
    ok thanks, do you know any good gtm build logs I've seen the fastthings build log are there any other good video build logs.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok thanks, do you know any good gtm build logs I've seen the fastthings build log are there any other good video build logs.
    Check out the FFCars site http://www.ffcars.com/ This was the orginal site that FFR builders used before this one

Here is a link that might help you http://www.ffcars.com/forums/42-fact...og-thread.html

Also take time to check out David Borden's GTM build log http://www.ffcars.com/forums/42-fact...d-post-14.html. MHO is he is a master of detail and you can't go wrong trying to emulate his style. http://www.gtmbuild.com/galleries/gtm_build/index.htm

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress

Ron
    Last edited by Presto51; 01-17-2014 at 07:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    what engine fits best in this car

Post Thanks / Like
    what engine fits best in this car
    The GM LS engine family

Post Thanks / Like
    are there any other ways i could learn more about cars

Post Thanks / Like
    This is NOT a beginner's build! PERIOD! My build is not complete and have about 25,000 hours in it and just put in another 62 hours in it this week. my goal is to complete it by Feb 10. It should be a roller by tomorrow. While in Utah last year, one asked me, "what made you want to race this car?" I replied, "Well, I made some money a few years ago and had a choice. Racing the GTM or cocaine. I should have picked cocaine!" Beware, its a drug and when I gave free samples to my friends about 8 years ago, well, they still hang around me..a lot!.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the funniest thing I have read in a while...but true. I am only building a hotrod but same process a lot of times. Way more time into research/ordering parts than turning wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like
    are there any other ways i could learn more about cars
    thats a reletively complicated question to tackle. theres so nuch inner working of cars that would be difficult to learn on the internet. you could learn a hell of a lot on the internet, but you wont actually get the expirience of actually doing it. my suggestion if your not already in high school, look into an automotive pragram at a technical high school. thats what i did. unfortunitly in some parts of the country tech high schools can be far and few between. luckily mine was right down the street. if that option isnt available to you, go to college for automotive like i did. that way you learn the ins and outs of cars and if they have a coop program all the better because your applying what youve learned in school on the job getting the expirience of actually doing the work. if thats not an option, try to get a job and a basic muffler and brake shop when you turn 18. those are usually beginner type jobs. oil chanes, brakes etc. nothing too crazy like engine swaps etc. a great foot in the door type job. but even for beginners, the shop will probably want someone with some expirience. so that just narrows it down to self learning. see if your dad or somebody has a friend that used too, or even still tinkers around with cars. do a little one on one brake job or something. its hard to learn on your own so i suggest finding someone with a little knowlege that he can share. you learn by expirience. youve got to get your hands dirty and expirience it. your going to make a lot of istakes. learn or invent some new swear words etc. but learning from your mistakes is what makes you a better mechanic. plus, theres no other greater form of male bonding than to work on a car with someone else. ive made a lot of good friends that way in high school. i guess what im saying is if you want to learn, youve got to pick up the wrenches and get your hands dirty the internet alone wont grant you the expirience you need

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the reply

Post Thanks / Like
    it seems like for someone who knows a fair amount about cars the hardest part of this kit would be the body work and wiring is this true

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast