Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Odometer reset

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be interested in anyone else does the reset.
    K3Lag tried mine, but its metric for Canada..... and didn't work.s
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    My project under Arts818 - I walked through the programming exercise to reset to anything including to = 0. I did one for another builder earlier this year, he sent me some emissions parts and a left over instrument panel in trade for my work - but that was not expected nor a demand trade. Like the switchback project, where I've done those for nothing for guys - it's my payback to the forum for all the info shared. So far nothing has turned into a big demand and so I don't mind doing a one off here and there. Several guys can attest that I sent switchback units or parts kits to them at N/C.

I'd be happy to program a chip - send me your chip - I'll make another and return both to you. I'll even do the whole cluster if you don't have a resource to do the chip pull. You just have to get it to me and back. Now, given in this thread a way back K3LAG had a problem with metric, that could catch me out as well. Also he points out, things can go wrong when you are getting into electronic parts as well as software, that non-OEM guys (like us) when they go poking around in there can end up with a major fail. I can't cover nor promise anything more than I'll read the chip, copy it, make a modified version and send both back. When I got the 93c00 chip to do mine, I got a package of 10 for like $5.00 - pocket change.

Now, If things go South, unlikely but - well - I can't cover it. The bargain is I do my best but that is as far as I go. That's where the 'get what you pay for' comes in. I think though that given the prices of used clusters on e-bay, vs. a commercial source that will do a cluster for say $150 (guaranteed work), a second go around would still be less expensive even if a cluster died on my watch. That said, I've been doing electronics from a-z for over 50 years and have a pretty decent track record. And, I've done three of these so far - my first was on my own Legacy cluster, then a build project over in Ohio, and then the Impreza cluster he gave me. (that was good fortune because I didn't realize the Legacy cluster is bigger and doesn't fit the FFR dash.

One more thing about getting into these - the original chip can be put back in and you are back where you started - if programming a new one doesn't work because of the metric thing or whatever...

You can pm me or conduct the whole thing here on the blog. Better yet, come to NW Indiana and we'll do it together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually the problem with Harley818's is not that it's metric. At one time I had images for both imperial and metric ones but the images for the metric ones got lost in VM crash. To do Harley818's I had him send his cluster so I could make a new image and provide him a reprogrammed one. For some reason, I was not able to reliably read his odometer eeprom. Every time I read it, I got a different result. In the hundreds of them that I have done, that is the only time I've had that problem. It seemed like a weird timing incompatibility between his chip and my programmer. I played with it for a couple of days with no success.

I'm not advertising my parts anymore but I do still have a few left so PM me if you want one until I run out.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquillen View Post
    My project under Arts818 - I walked through the programming exercise to reset to anything including to = 0. I did one for another builder earlier this year, he sent me some emissions parts and a left over instrument panel in trade for my work - but that was not expected nor a demand trade. Like the switchback project, where I've done those for nothing for guys - it's my payback to the forum for all the info shared. So far nothing has turned into a big demand and so I don't mind doing a one off here and there. Several guys can attest that I sent switchback units or parts kits to them at N/C.

I'd be happy to program a chip - send me your chip - I'll make another and return both to you. I'll even do the whole cluster if you don't have a resource to do the chip pull. You just have to get it to me and back. Now, given in this thread a way back K3LAG had a problem with metric, that could catch me out as well. Also he points out, things can go wrong when you are getting into electronic parts as well as software, that non-OEM guys (like us) when they go poking around in there can end up with a major fail. I can't cover nor promise anything more than I'll read the chip, copy it, make a modified version and send both back. When I got the 93c00 chip to do mine, I got a package of 10 for like $5.00 - pocket change.

Now, If things go South, unlikely but - well - I can't cover it. The bargain is I do my best but that is as far as I go. That's where the 'get what you pay for' comes in. I think though that given the prices of used clusters on e-bay, vs. a commercial source that will do a cluster for say $150 (guaranteed work), a second go around would still be less expensive even if a cluster died on my watch. That said, I've been doing electronics from a-z for over 50 years and have a pretty decent track record. And, I've done three of these so far - my first was on my own Legacy cluster, then a build project over in Ohio, and then the Impreza cluster he gave me. (that was good fortune because I didn't realize the Legacy cluster is bigger and doesn't fit the FFR dash.

One more thing about getting into these - the original chip can be put back in and you are back where you started - if programming a new one doesn't work because of the metric thing or whatever...

You can pm me or conduct the whole thing here on the blog. Better yet, come to NW Indiana and we'll do it together.
    Hi Art,
    Thanks for the offer. I would love to get this odometer back to zero, and I know Larry tried. Can't get any worse than it is now....
    Right now I am enjoying driving the car, so when I take it apart to paint it later this Fall, I will contact you to see if you are still up to the challenge.
    Thanks.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquillen View Post

I also have a metric gauge cluster, I actually have 2 one 2003 wrx and a 2004 wrx (2004 is the one in which I am going to use). I would gladly send you the 2003 WRX one with zero liability to tinker with in order to develop a way to reset the odometer! Then if it works I would also gladly buy a chip from you to replace the one in my 2004 cluster. Let me know what you think and hopefully this would solve our metric odometer problems!

Thanks,
    Ian

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Be glad to try these for both of you - send a PM for my address.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you have success with the metric cluster reset? I just bought a JDM VER8 STI guage pod and would like to get the 100,000+ kph down to zero

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in NW Indiana. Ideal thing would be if you were close by, just come visit and we play with it. I would suspect the programming is the same - seems unlikely Subaru would want to manage different coding methods for something like this. But you never know.

Like the others that have pioneered on this - I just pull and read the chip first. Make a change and put it on a different - new - chip and try it. That way the original is not altered and can be put back in if need.

If one of the other guys here already has the solution and been there with the JDM - want's to do this for you - have at by all means. But I'll give it a shot if you give it over to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    The STI cluster has a surface mount EEPROM. This makes it a bit more difficult to remove and replace but not impossible. I don't know if it programs the same way or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just digging around to see where to get my odometer reset and came across this article - these guys were recommended earlier in the thread:
    https://richmond.com/news/local/crim...0b6ebb314.html

Looks like they were doing a bit more than just helping people making kit cars.

11. Likes Cwagz922 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123