Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Door striker question

Post Thanks / Like

Door striker question

I'm making an attempt at installing my door latches so the first thing I did was put the striker on the frame bracket.

And now my door won't close.

So I looked around and found that, no matter where I adjust the striker, it hits the door because the cutout is not in the proper place for the striker. Here's a picture of what I mean. The black outline is where the striker actually touches the door.

So is there any problem if I just enlarge the hole to allow the striker to go into it? Even with the spacer behind the latch, it still hits.

Also, any secret to "adjusting" the angle of the striker mount? I read AC Bill's idea of cutting spacers on an angle and that looks like the best idea unless there's a better way.

Thanks for any help.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    go ahead and make it fit, enlarging the hole is no problem
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to do same thing, like lots of other things make it fit

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here on most that I have built. Another thing I found is that the surface of the door and the latch mount surface is not square to each other. This coould cause the latch to bind and be hard to open and close. I made up some tapered washers to correct this problem. I foudn them to be off about 2 degrees. Doesnt sound like much but if you assemble the latch you will see that there is very little wiggle room

Post Thanks / Like
    Michael,

Can you expound on how you made the tapered washers? I noticed the alignment difference between the two pieces and was wondering about the best way to remedy it.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to correct the alignment issue with a bit of tweeking of the tab on the frame with a vise- grip. perfect!
    Sten
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
    Michael,

Can you expound on how you made the tapered washers? I noticed the alignment difference between the two pieces and was wondering about the best way to remedy it.

Thanks.
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steno View Post
    I was able to correct the alignment issue with a bit of tweeking of the tab on the frame with a vise- grip. perfect!
    Sten
    X2..
    Tim.

Knowledge is good-Faber.

I'm so broke I can hardly pay attention-Me.

Post Thanks / Like
    On my MKII, the door strikers were almost too adjustable: in all directions... Same was true of hood alignment bolts. Fitting and adjusting these components can take time and patience, and those processes are best done in one one direction at a time. That is, each time I tried to adjust too much at once, I had to start over again from the betginning. I learned that it's best not to rush any of these delicate steps. It's just part and parcel of constructing a hand-built car.