Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thread: Dash mounting tabs - Hoping to make it removeable with body on

Dash mounting tabs - Hoping to make it removeable with body on

In an attempt to make it so I can remove my dash with the body in place - and because my rolled cockpit edges cover a significant portion of the upper dash... especially where the cowl meets the door... I added drop-down tabs that I made out of some scrap .040 aluminum. The brackets are about an inch wide and are bent 90 degrees, then attached to the underside of the top 3/4" dash support tube using adhesive and rivets. I then drilled the brackets and added some clip nuts for use with sheet metal screws. With some stainless oval head screws and finishing washers, I'll have a fairly period-correct dash mounting method and a good chance of getting it out with the body on.

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074
    Picked-up at FFR - 10/10/09
    First Start and Go-Kart - 9/19/12

Looks great Chris,

Had to do something similar on my MkIV because the cowl roll covered the dash tube in the middle section of the dash and I couldn't get access to the tube to install the screws to attach the dash.

I cut some short pieces of 1/8" thick sheet metal and just tack welded them to the dash support tube. I put the dash in place and marked, drilled and tapped the tabs for some polished ss oval head #8 machine screws and finished washers.

Keep up the good work. You will be finished soon.

Ron

DashSupportTabs.jpgDash.jpg

Y'know, Ron, it's scary how much our cars will look alike when mine is finally done.... and I'm just a little ashamed to admit that I've been working on mine so much longer than it took you to get yours on the road!

Thanks for the dash pics, though - that's exactly where I placed mine... great minds and all that stuff, huh?
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074
    Picked-up at FFR - 10/10/09
    First Start and Go-Kart - 9/19/12

Chris,

I'm fortunate to be retired so I can spend just about all my time working on a project but even then I'm much slower than some of the other members.

Once you get your body back from the painter, you will be surprised how quick it will go together.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    In an attempt to make it so I can remove my dash with the body in place - and because my rolled cockpit edges cover a significant portion of the upper dash... especially where the cowl meets the door... I added drop-down tabs that I made out of some scrap .040 aluminum. The brackets are about an inch wide and are bent 90 degrees, then attached to the underside of the top 3/4" dash support tube using adhesive and rivets. I then drilled the brackets and added some clip nuts for use with sheet metal screws. With some stainless oval head screws and finishing washers, I'll have a fairly period-correct dash mounting method and a good chance of getting it out with the body on.

Very Nice Work! FFR should add this mounting method to the basic dash installation instructions (drop down tabs & nice fasteners). Wish I thought of it - I would need to remove the recently completed body to make this mod - and I am thinking about it as I would like to modify my dash layout. Perhaps next winter (??)

Keep up the great work