FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CobraEarl Retiring Due to Health... (Pancreatic Cancer)

Post Thanks / Like

CobraEarl Retiring Due to Health... (Pancreatic Cancer)

Original post dated OCTOBER 13, 2015. There is an update below on my condition posted June 28, 2016.

I will start in the Middle..

Tue sept 29 I went to the doctor thinking I had an "incarcerated belly button hernia". My son had a hernia in his belly button, My brother had one and it was operated on and repaired...

Digressing, I had driven my Class B camper from San Francisco to burning man, back to San Francisco and then HOME with no power steering. 1998 Ford 350 Super Duty Diesel Class B. LONG and HARD DRIVE... It broke on the way from San Francisco to Burning Man.. So is ASSUMED I had further ruptured my belly button from driving that BEAST 4000 miles with no power steering.....

My Doctor Looked at it and said it needed fixed in the next couple of days and sent me for a Cat Scan of the general area the same day. (I suspect he suspected something else)

Got the Cat Scan same day and the operator told me I needed to drop back by my doctors office the next AM.... I suspected a RAT....

To make it simple, he told me my hernia was actually a "Sister Mary Joseph Nodule" and my cat scan showed I have spots in my pancreas and liver.. Google: "Sister Mary Joseph Nodule".... EVEYONE SHOULD KNOW WHAT ThIS IS: For their health sake and the health of their loved ones.... NOT SOMETHING YOU WANT TO HAVE.. And I had never even heard of it...

My doctor had me go that afternoon (Wednesday) and have the Nodule Biopsied... CONFIRMATION...

My Oldest daughter is a Surgical Oncologist in Canada. She deals with Pancreatic Cancer and Liver Cancer all the time... I had my doctor call her from our meeting to explain the situation... I sure could not talk to her.... can hardly type this.. She has 3 partners and she packed up and flew to North Carolina that afternoon. We picked her up at the airport... Cried, hugged, hugged and cried.... and drove to the small hospital in Salisbury NC that had the initial catscan.. got a CD of it for my Daughter to look at. (Coincidentially, that hospital is the one I was born at back in 1947)

Next morning we got the biopsy results... But she was already searching for the best doctors at the best hospitals in our area... The doctor she picked said they had an opening Oct 13, today.. she got them to move it up to oct 6. My doctor is Angelia Allistar at Wake Forrest Medical Center at the NC Baptist Hospital... She has a trial going on that is having excellent results.. The trial is all the best drugs all the hospitals are using plus one more... Last Tuesday, I had another Cat Scan, an MRI and blood work.. Wednesday I had a PORT installed (sort of like a permanent IV)

I will have chemo every other Tuesday. FIRST one was today... LONG FUKING DAY........ I wear a pump that injects one of the drugs for 48 hours. get that pump off Thursday.....

Out of 13 people that have been in the trial, one is in "total" remission and two more appear to be heading that way...

We have a local news anchor, Margaret Johnson with WXII that had Pancreatic Cancer 10 years ago.. she is alive and well and doing the news...

PANCREATIC CANCER is not a death sentence.... Not something you OR I want, but its not a death sentence... Prayers Are Needed..

I DIGRESS AGAIN, My doctor Daughter was supposed to have a 25th highschool reunion last weekend.. She bought tickets for her family of 5 to come in last Wednesday and stay through yesterday... THE REUNION GOT CANCELED for lack of interest... She was considering us all driving down to Disney World since the reunion was canceled...
    .............................. WE DECIDED TO GO ANY HOW!!!!!!!!!! .....................
    So Wednesday. about 4 hours after my outpatient surgery to install my port, Gramma Juanita and I and The 5 Canadians Headed out from the Charlotte Air Port and drove to Jacksonville FLA.. (I Rode, they drove) Thursday, I felt good enough to drive the van on down to Universal Studios.. We ALL rested by the pool on Friday, Went To Disney World on Saturday.. Got up leisurely on Sunday and Drove up to Amelia Island Fl. BEAUTIFUL Island. Finished up the trip by dropping the 5 Canadians off at the airport yesterday (Monday) at 5:00pm.

Im glad we went to Disney and Universal. Sort of kept my mind off it and gave me some QUALITY TIME with my three AMAZING grand Children...

Got my first chemo today and I don't feel BAD.. not great but NOT BAD.... and that brings me up to right now.. I will reread this and edit it a bit... But two weeks from Initial Diagnosis to First CHEMO may be a record... And I credit my Doctor Daughter for Riding Herd, expediting or what ever term is appropriate...

I MAY BE ON THIS FORUM 10 Years from now.... BUT I WILL NOT BE IN THE COBRAPARTS Business much longer... I have a lot of loose ends I need to tie up, IE get my affairs in order JUST IN CASE it don't go good for the home team... If I tell some one I have two months to 3 years, my daughter fusses about both ends.... But Margaret Johnson has lived 10 years and some SUPER DRUGS Came out only 5 years ago... WHO KNOWS, I might make my life long goal of being shot by a jealous husband when Im 99. My wife and family have been super suportive thru the last two weeks....

I do want to say some things about my cobra friends:Since 2000 I have MET some of the nicest folks IN PERSON thru my FFR2362, MANY I'm lucky to call personal friends... I have met many super guys on the 3 sequential Ffcobra forums, plus the Factory Five official forum.. Ive been doing cobraearl (part time) for 12 or 13 years and I have NEVER had one person **** me out of a dime... YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST... and I still look at that cobra and say.... I Actually built that....

Sort of like I look at my THREE SUPER KIDS.... and say to myself, I sired those .. and Im pretty sure I did: And I had a big influence on them as one of their parents. And I look at those three amazing grand children and wonder what they will grow up to be... I could talk about them for pages....... PROUD GRANDPA is an Understatement!!! Proud Father is an understatement.. Proud Husband is an Understatement...

Jeff Collins of Whitby Motor Cars and I (CobraEarl) RENTED a race track about 8 years ago and held an open track event.. did not make any money, but we DID break Even..... WHO WOULD HAVE EVER THOUGHT I WOULD HAVE RENTED A RACETRACK FOR AN ENTIRE WEEKEND.... AND WE HAD A BALL...

My website is down so Im not SOLICITING ANY MORE ORDERS... If anyone needs to contact me, you can at [email protected]....
    Last edited by cobraearl; 06-28-2016 at 10:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I wish you well

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cobraearl View Post

Out of 13 people that have been in the trial, one is in "total" remission and two more appear to be heading that way...

We have a local news anchor, Margaret Johnson with WXII that had Pancreatic Cancer 10 years ago.. she is alive and well and doing the news...

PANCREATIC CANCER is not a death sentence.... Not something you OR I want, but its not a death sentence... Prayers Are Needed..
    I'll get my local parish on it. They do some good work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Earl. you're a great man. Your outspokenness is one of your most endearing qualities and though I can't speak for everyone here on the forum I can tell you "we love you". Julie and I will both be praying for a speedy remission.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my favorite Cobra memories was spending some time with you and Raceral at the Spring Flings back in the early days I wish you all the best old friend.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep up your positive attitude toward the fight. I have read many times that one's attitude and determination to beat the cancer can have a major effect on the outcome. I wish you and your family all the best.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Prayers for you brother.

Post Thanks / Like
    All the very best Earl.
    Finally started my build the beginning July. 2015!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never met you but have always enjoyed reading your posts and have learned a ton from you. Prayers are on their way please keep us updated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have never met you, but wish you the best luck and smooth roads ahead. Time to cash in on some of that Good Karma you've been giving out for so long...

Post Thanks / Like
    Earl,

I wish you the very best. Be strong.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Many years ago Earl, I got in touch about ordering a some stuff from you. As soon as you heard it was going on a car in the UK, you offered it to me for free.

In less than two weeks, the car will be ready for the door panels to go on on the car. You hear lots of stories about the community and the people involved, being on the other side of the world I can assure you that the community stretches this far. It was the first time someone from this community stepped up and did something for me as a stranger.

Good luck. I'll be cheering for you from the sidelines over here.

Martin
    Previous forum name was "Fezzek"

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Brother Earl... Love you dearly.. we have had the best of times and we will continue to have them. Good luck with your process.
    I bet your neighbor Gary and can even do some magic on you. Just go over there and spread out on his work bench.
    Hang in there brother and I will come see you soon, its been to long.
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Chemo is tough (helped my mom during that time) but I wish you "smooth sailing" through that part of your treatment. You're lucky to have a talented Dr. daughter to coordinate the logistics of this as it is critical to do it right the first time. You did good.

I thought it was funny you mentioned that you still look at the roadster and say "I built that". So do I every day. That's pretty cool to have that checked off of your bucket list.

Wishing you the best,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    You are in my thoughts and prayers.
    FFR6682 - received 7/30/08 - MK 3.1 complete kit, Forte built Ford Racing BOSS 427W(475HP/500lbs), TKO600, Power steering, Power Brakes, Hydraulic Clutch, VPM Front/Rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, SAI mod, 13"Front/11.65"Rear Mustang Cobra rotors w/calipers, NITTO NT05s - 255/40R17-Front, 315/35R17-rear,3.55 IRS.
    Visit my Blog: http://crawleyscobra.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Though we've never met face-to-face I have enjoyed your posts and contests for many years. I wish you the best of all.
    Pete
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thoughts and prayers are with you Earl!

Please look into TCH and Canibanoid treatment for yourself, It has some strong and battling research of its effectiveness verses Chemo therapy. We have a very strong Endocannabinoid System.
    "When In Doubt FLAT Out" -Colin McRae

Post Thanks / Like
    If you notice, Cobra Earl is always the center of attention

And finally.... I forget what the bet was, but I bet him a "8 pack" about something... dang he won.
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

Post Thanks / Like
    Earl, I wish you the very best in your upcoming fight and want to thank you for all of your contributions to our community.

Post Thanks / Like
    All the best Earl, keep your head up. Everyone is pulling for you I can assure you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm new to the forum, but loss my brother to cancer at a young age. He was 39 and a great racer.

Stay strong, and I wish you the best Earl.

Post Thanks / Like
    [/QUOTE]

That picture was taking @ VIR Sept. '04........the "fun" days...

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Our prayers go out to you and your family.
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Earl...happy customer here. I see we are the same age. I'm a 2-time survivor - currently in remission - and am sure you will be one also, likely do to the quick response (lucky you for your daughter). I know its all happened very fast, but just try and relax through all this and try, try to avoid stress as it also affects those near to you. One day at a time.

Chin up, Dale
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    have completed my first round of Chemo... Feel PRETTY GOOD... a little weird, but at least 95%.... cannnot complain. My wife and family AND FRIENDS have been wonderful.... after four cycles or 4 weeks (cant remember which) they are going to re scan me for results of the chemo.....

IM GONNA BEAT THIS ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Earl,
    Awesome attitude!! Keep positive.

Ian
    Finally started my build the beginning July. 2015!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wishing you all the best Earl. I'm so happy to hear that you got on the trial and that your daughter fought so hard to get you on therapy as fast as she did - both huge things. Kudos and congrats. Stay strong and hang in - you'll make it through this.
    Mk 3.1 - FFR6671 - "Trying" to recreate a Semi-Comp 427...
    427ci FE Big-Block / Pin-Drive IRS / TKO600 / Smiths Gauges / SC Dash / 15" Goodyear Billboards
    Fabrication (the fun stuff): 427 Throttle Pedal (SS) : AC Pedals on Wilwood Arms : CSX E-Brake Lever : CSX-Style Footbox Vents (SS) : CSX-Style Dash Support Tubes & Recessed Dash : CSX-Style F-Panels : Firewall Forward 4" : "Full" Rear Drop : Recessed Bulkhead & Exposed Rollbar ... hopefully the list continues!

Post Thanks / Like
    Earl, I'm so glad to see that you have the right attitude. I work in this area and have learned how important a strong mindset is. Keep up the fight!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hang in there Earl, stay strong. We're all rooting for you.
    JR

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    To my young friend and traveling companion! I will pray daily for you and treasure the fun we had traveling together. As Jim said in the video Earl is ... well just Earl! You only get one Earl in a lifetime and I got to visit, and travel with Earl on our most excellent adventures!
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Earl,

I only know you through the forums but am amazed at the love and respect you have earned through the years. You are a true pillar of the FFR community. I will keep you in my prayers.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    its been about 10 months since i got the "NEWS"...

I May be one of the 8 luckyist PC patients ever.

Had a long talk with my Oncologist three weeks ago. There was supposed to be 20 patients in our drug study. she said we never had but 18. FOUR are off Chemo. Not a huge deal unless you know that traditionally, PC patients have NEVER come off chemo in the past. Basically chemo until you die, unless you are lucky enough to catch it early enough that it can be operated on. Even then you gotta be lucky enough for the surgeon to get it all. Four are OFF CHEMO, another FOUR are responding well to the chemo (plus the "super drug"). I asked her what about the other 10???? She said, They did not respond to the chemo and they (all 10) are gone!!!!!!

The Chemo I'm on is called Folfurinox. (sp?) The new drug being tested is CPI-613. There is a news release about our study on the internet from back in January. So, its no secret. Folfurinox is the "latest, greatest, Chemo regiment for treating PC. Its only about 4 years old, its very strong and many folks cannot tolerate it and have to go to the older chemo that is well tolerated but not nearly as effective. the news release is at: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300209205.html The Dr. Angela T. Alistar mentioned is my oncologist..

About all cancer types have a "marker Number" these days like your PSA # for Prostrate Cancer. PC has the CA19-9 #. When this all started, my PC marker number was about 2500. after about 8 weeks, it was up to about 10,000. since then, it has fallen consistently down to 145 last week. ( normal is considered to be 35 or below.) My main tumor has shrunk from 5.8 CM down to 3.3 CM in my MRI 5 weeks ago. My tumor in my liver has shrunk a comparable amount. and some small tumors in my lungs appear to be GONE!!! My Oncologist told me that before NOW, they have been able to shrink liver tumors but NOT Pancreas tumors.

NO ONE knows what will happen to these four people that are off chemo long term.

The Oncologist says they are working on starting a second study, a double blind study.

Im PRAYING that I will be number 5,6,7 or 8 that comes off chemo!!! They will not use the word CURED, or REMISSION when speaking of the four off chemo.

looking back on the early days of this, based on the number, size and location of my tumors, I'm positive that my doctor daughter expected me to be gone by now.

We have spent many weeks with the three grand kids. been to see them at least 3 times in toronto, , once in Wilmington, once in key west, twice here and the initial week in orlando. My Three Grand Kids (Girl 10, boy 8 and girl 5) are absolutely the three smartest, most beautiful and most wonderful grand kids ever. Dont try to convince me or my wife to the contrary.

Juanita, my wife of almost 49 years, ((red headed Irish ) not hispanic) has been wonderful and supportive!!!! It was her Idea to buy TWO tickets to Burning Man 2016. AND, it looks like we are GOING.

I WANT TO THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL THE PRAYERS!!!!! HOPEFULLY A FEW MORE JUST MIGHT GET ME ACROSS THE FINISH IN FRONT OF THIS DING DANG DISEASE.
    Last edited by cobraearl; 06-28-2016 at 10:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent news, Mr. Earl. Keep up what you're doing and stay positive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Praise to "The Great Physician" for this wonderful news! We will keep praying with you and for you, and for the many doctors, researchers, and scientists that are developing these medical miracles. His blessings upon you and your family.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Earl,

Thanks for the update with the great news ... your a fighter and its paying off.
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Earl, keep up the fight! You are doing awesome.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Super! We will keep you in our prayers for sure.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    good stuff! Stay positive!
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Great news, Earl!

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear this Earl. Here's to you being 5, 6, 7, or 8th. I will be keeping you in my thoughts.
    Aaron

Holley 650 DP / Performer RPM Intake / Twisted Wedge Heads / 347 ci / TKO500 / 3.73 rear gears

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast