Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Transaxle kits available from The Race Line

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Transaxle kits available from The Race Line

Hey there everyone,

So I have had a couple of people interested in some options for gearbox kits recently, which is awesome. I thought I would give a quick overview of a couple of the gearboxes that we sell quite regularly so that everyone can have a better idea of what the costs are and what comes with the kit.

The G50 5 speed kit is one of the first kits that I put together for quite a few people building the GTM and it is still a great option. Available in either the short tail (G50.01) or longtail (G50.03) keep in mind that FF5 may not be able to supply the flywheel any longer for the short tail version. I know at one point they were not. (1987-1989 gearboxes) Also keep in mind that there are some clutch restrictions with the early gearbox as well, so I would not recommend using the short-tail for anything other than a LS-1 build.

$6500.00 G50 5 speed either long or short. (cooler fitting installed for optional external cooling of the transaxle oil, and inversion included in this cost.)
    $2100.00 New OS Giken 24 plate Super Lock Limited Slip Differential This is a optional part, but one that I do recommend.
    $1250.00 New Stage II Clutch kit
    $350.00 New Bosch Starter
    $350.00 New Inner CV Joint Kit (complete with all parts needed for installation, and grease)
    $795.00 New Cableshift Assy.
    $155.00 New Slave Cylinder
    $120.00 Bolt Kit

$11620.00 Total plus shipping

The G50 6 speed kit is essentially the same parts as listed here price wise but due to the cost of the gearbox overall cost increases by $1000.00 So if you would like the G50 6 speed from the Porsche 993 your total cost would be $12,620.00 plus shipping.

*****One really nice thing about the G50 options are the availability of taller gearing ratios for the 4th, 5th, and if needed 6th gear.*****

The Porsche 996 gearbox build. (NOT the Turbo or GT style gearbox) This is a great build for anyone building a car with under about 600 HP and would like a more modern shift feel and true cable shifted gearbox. It is a very strong unit, and has been well received into the community of builders. The internals are quite strong, but do require a bit of care in the first and second gear zones during shifting to ensure durability. I recommend this kit quite often to my customers, and I am sure if you are not looking to go and full out race your car that this will be a good option for quite a few builders.

I do want everyone to know that with the 996 option, the gearbox is essentially brand new. These are Factory reman units directly from Getrag, and have ALL internals replaced during the rebuild. The only thing that I can see that gets reused is the case pieces.

$3600.00 G96.01 gearbox with cooler in and out ports installed, and inversion process completed.
    $2100.00 New OS Giken LSD installed (again this is optional, but recommended.)
    $1800.00 New Adapter kit with flywheel
    $1250.00 New Stage II clutch kit
    $275.00 New Gear Reduction Starter
    $350.00 New Inner CV Joint Kit complete
    $795.00 New Cable Shift Assy
    $175.00 New Slave Cylinder
    $120.00 Bolt Kit
    $120.00 New Clutch Release components

$10,585.00 Total Cost plus shipping.

Now there is a taller ring and pinion available for the 996 that can be added to this build that will allow for taller gearing throughout the gearbox. Cost on this installed would be $3500.00 (I had to raise this a bit as the installation is takes quite a bit of time.)

For anyone planning a high HP build, I would prefer to go over your build in detail before recommending a gearbox, as these are much more engine specific and use dependent. YES they are also quite a bit more expensive.

The Race Line is expanding into quite a few new areas of racing and development here in the next several months. Rest assured that the GTM community will not be left behind, as I value and very much enjoy working with this great community and look forward to a great year.

You can always tell the people who love this job, they don't waste time in critique of others, they simply find a better way to serve their customers. I love what I do, and for those who I have not spoken to yet, feel free to give me a call. USUALLY you can hear and feel my excitement for your builds right through the phone. Please let me know if there are any questions, or suggestions that you have for helping me to help all of you better.

Happy building, and I thank you all for the opportunity to work with you.

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761 phone

near the lil podunk town of Milano (about a hour northeast of Austin) {middle of NOWHERE}
    Post Thanks / Like
    Erik...
    enjoyed our talk last week.... looking forward to seeing the specs you are working up for the box we discussed... I was talking to an engine builder buddy of mine this weekend & told him what all I was planning for my engine, he seems to think it will be more like 700+HP than my guesstamation of 650... (he didn't say if that was at the crank or at the wheels)...
    he also says it should pull through 7500 rather than the 6800 I was thinking....

JT
    Last edited by Fugly_Old_Cowboy; 01-21-2014 at 09:01 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there JT,

I just sent you a email that should have some good data on there for you to review.

Let me know what you think when you have time.

Erik

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have any suggestions on these kits? Anyone see any parts missing or thoughts on pricing etc?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    So do we have anyone getting ready to purchase their transaxle? I would be happy to give you a call and confirm your setup and make sure that any of your questions are answered.

I look forward to working with you all, and happy building.

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761 phone

near the lil podunk town of Milano (about a hour northeast of Austin) {middle of NOWHERE}
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey Erik...
    I have been playing with the worksheet you sent me... the upper gears will work out fine, but I sure would like to have a bit taller 1st & 2nd.. ideally 1st would fall about 3/4 of the way between that 1st & 2nd with the new 2nd falling about 1/2 way between 2nd & 3rd....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there JT,

Plug 2.83 into first gear, and 1.895 into second and let me know what you think of that.

I think that this will work well for you, and this setup can be made available for your build.

Erik