Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seating / Gas Tank Conundrum

Post Thanks / Like

Seating / Gas Tank Conundrum

The situation:
    • This is primarily a daily driver.
    • I need more leg room.
    • I want to have interior storage (for stuff, amps, subwoofer, whatever).
    • I want to use the stock seats & belts (because I think they are good enough and they came "free" with my donor).
    • I want to be able to drive the car on track for driver training, track days, and high performance driving events (no competition).

Because my Father-in-law can build me a custom gas tank for very little money, I had intended to "move" the gas tank location to the front. This simplified the rear firewall greatly, provided more than enough leg room, and decent enough storage room inside the cabin. Incidentally, this would mean no sway bar for me. I could probably work around it, but it would limit tank capacity and just generally be in the way. Besides, I can get around it by running stiffer front springs (this according to Jim at FFR).

The problem I'm seeing is that because it's a convertible, 5 or 6 point belts seem to be required. I suppose I don't mind fitting them (welding in a harness bar is no big deal), but can you use them with stock seats? For daily driving I'd want to retain the OEM 3-point belts, using the harness only when necessary. If I have to go with aftermarket seats for harness compatibility, I'm thinking I would lose the ability to use the OEM 3-point belts, which I REALLY want to be able to use for convenience. I really don't want to be stuck using a harness all the time.

At 6' tall, I'm also worried that I may not be able to sit low enough with the stock seats and a helmet to pass a broomstick test. I wouldn't mind removing some foam from the seat, if that were necessary.

Anyway, I'm looking for some help & guidance here. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Xusia; 01-30-2014 at 02:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most aftermarket reclining seats that I have looked at will accommodate both 3-point and 4+ point belts. In some cases, you may have to pay a small 'option' fee to have the slot cut for the 5th belt.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    which stock seats do you have? (sorry, I'm being lazy, i'm sure there is a picture somewhere in your build thread) Even if you have the ones that have the separate headrest, you can run the shoulder belts around the headrest posts and sew and strap between the shoulder harnesses just behind your back to keep them from separating. I believe they also sell something at summit racing to accomplish this.

Then all you need is something for the 5th point. Some have argued in roadster threads that simply running it around the front of the seat bottom is fine (for those with the low back buckets). After all, the purpose of that belt is simply to keep the lap belt from riding up and allowing you to submarine under. Others will argue that you will need to cut some sort of opening in the bottom seat cushion to run the 5th point through.

Post Thanks / Like
    My stock seats have the separate head rest, so I think I would be good there. Where I'm a bit bothered is the 5th belt, because I want to retain the sliding ability of the stock seats (or aftermarket, if that's how I wind up going).

Post Thanks / Like
    hadn't thought about the sliding and the fact that it will lengthen and shorten the sub belt (my seat is on a slider, but I'm the only one that drives the car, so hasn't been an issue). Basically then you need the 5th point to have the adjust-ability near the buckle rather than the (sort-of) adjustable link at the mounting point as it is on the 5 point harness that comes with the roadster. I have to assume that exists. I did a quick google search on "adjustable submarine belt" and quite a few options popped up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please, for the love of God and your own safety, do not run a 5/6 point harness with a stock seat.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    the 5/6 points are supposed to run down between your legs. Legitimately there'd be a hole there. I've seen them put across the front of the seats in Subarus as "passable" but not desirable.

Height will be an issue. I'm 6' tall and with my bimarco's mounted ~1" off the floor my head barely clears the broomstick.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Xusia, I'd look into NRG seats... they're a drop in the bucket compared to what you just spent on the motor, good quality for the price and most have a sub slot. You can mount them very low on the floor. I prefer more of a 'laid back' position due to my back injury... I adjusted the side-mounts on my NRG seats to provide this, it has the side benefit of providing extra 'headroom' (since your effective torso height is reduced by the cosine of the recline angle). The slots for the shoulder harnesses line up perfectly with the frame cross member and I have plenty of clearance below the roll bar (I'm also ~6').

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the combo I'm going with

IMG_0024.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I thank everyone who responded. It looks like if I want to be able to drive the car on the track (for any reason), I'm going to need aftermarket seats. So now I have to decide if it's worth it... <$igh>

Post Thanks / Like
    My bimarco seats were decently priced and FIA homolgated. Buy directly from company on eBay. Seat brackets are not long enough for 818.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Bimarco-Futura...-/181239340473
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Seat brackets are not long enough for 818.
    Ditto with my brackets; I expect that will be an issue with pretty much any aftermarket seat in the 818. I'm planning on mounting them to 1/4" Al plates to extend to the frame rails. Craig did a little cleaner job by fab'ing up custom brackets.

Post Thanks / Like
    You could use an aftermarket seat for those track days. Ya it would be a hassle switching seats for those track days but it would be safer. Since I'm pretty much in the same boat with this which seat to use debate the perspective of the community I find valuable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found some "race" seats that have tilt/recline/slide functionality similar to the WRX seats. Now to find out if I can use the OEM 3-point belt with them. If so, then I can limit use of the harness to when I need it, and use the 3-point belt for daily driving.

Post Thanks / Like
    So can someone explain to me how/where the leg belts of a 5/6 point harness are supposed to attach? I assumed there would be a hole in the seat, but none of the seats I found seem to have an obvious hole in the seat for this purpose. I called one reseller and they said that belt attaches to the floor below the front of the seat. How in the world is that better than the factory seat then??

Venting my frustrations here for a moment... The sanctioning bodies are really pissing me off. If it's a coupe, the OEM belts are FINE. But a convertible with a roll bar requires a harness?!? What really chaps my hide here is that they let motorcycles on those same tracks, which have neither roofs, roll bars, belts, nor harnesses of any kind. Motorcycles also go faster and are much more prone to crashing. Having partaken in more than one high side crash, I can attest that a motorcycle crash can be very violent and easily brake bones or cause serious injury. When you look at everything, it just seems soooo nonsensical. No matter how you slice it, this car will be safer than a motorcycle. And for me, that's good enough because it's an improvement. I'm not trying to be mini-van safe here!!! OK, venting done.
    Last edited by Xusia; 01-31-2014 at 06:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My seats have a hole for the sub strap holes in the seat right in between your thighs. The belts then attach to the side and back a little. Holes aren't always obvious as a split cushion may cover it. Usually they'll say 5 or 6 pt harness compatible.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    So can someone explain to me how/where the leg belts of a 5/6 point harness are supposed to attach? I assumed there would be a hole in the seat, but none of the seats I found seem to have an obvious hole in the seat for this purpose. I called one reseller and they said that belt attaches to the floor below the front of the seat. How in the world is that better than the factory seat then??

Here is a picture of my kirkie road race seat with the cover off. It has 5 holes for belts.
    Bobkir-47300_ml.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob. I really don't want a fixed position seat - my problem, I know. I want adjust-ability, and I want to be able to get behind the seats easily (i.e. by folding it forward) since I plan to use that space for storage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Using stock seats and stock FFR gas tank at 5'8" there isn't any room behind the seats...
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You don't need a harness bar, you can bolt them directly to the frame, and they will not work with the factory seats because there is no holes were you need them, but at this point get a nice pair of sparco adjustable tuner seats, there about 300 each and are much thinner and will give you more room. I tried to fit in the oem seats, that's a joke right.

Post Thanks / Like
    As an old fart there is no way that I can drive with one of those thin, un adjustable seats. My plan is to attempt the build with the stock seats and see how it works. I think that FFR's new direction of a specific 818 tank that allows the driver's seat to go back further combined with sliders is the best bet, long term. Perhaps I'll make up my own or Boyds will do one up. The current tank's design with the stepped level, sender lower than the pump fitting area makes no sense. Since the seat ends up at an angle it can be thin and tall behind the driver and fat and tall behind the passenger with the passenger seat being fixed.

IMO the some of the $300 or so seats don't look well stitched, the upholstery puckers etc...
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Xusia,

Factory Five is currently developing a "Big/Tall" gas tank which was shown at SEMA in the Green 818S only in a right hand drive. The tank puts less gas tank behind the drivers seat and pushes the passenger seat ahead of the driver (I would approximate by 3 inches). The drivers seats shown were the Kirkey seats shown above from the 818R and challenge series. Kirkey also has some full containment seats which look interesting (Model 70). The drivers seat is almost touching the roll bar (as far back as it is going). having sat in the 818R that provides the room I am looking for. The passenger does not have pedals taking up room so they will have plenty of space. As a bonus this creates a small shelf behind the passenger's seat and the gas tank accepts the Subaru fuel pump and sensor. I am waiting for this solution before I put in my gas tank.

https://www.factoryfive.com/gallerie...-wilwood-818s/

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Using stock seats and stock FFR gas tank at 5'8" there isn't any room behind the seats...
    I won't be using the stock gas tank for sure, and I'm even sure I will put one in that location at all. There is a very good chance mine will go up front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Dan, I really want adjustability in my seats. And $300 a piece for seats is a bit much IMO. The NRG seats are like half that. I'm just waiting to hear back from Eric (Hansen). I want to be sure the ones I like have the hole for the 5/6 point belts. If they do, I'll begrudgingly go with those. I say begrudgingly, because I wish the stock seats were a realistic option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone check these out?

6-RS-TR-BK-NRG

reclining, black fabric $300 pair, adj. sliders, incl. shipping
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Can anyone check these out?

6-RS-TR-BK-NRG

reclining, black fabric $300 pair, adj. sliders, incl. shipping
    Got a better link? Mea culpa ---- I can't find them........

Thanks,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 02-02-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan, thanks. That was really nice. I'm a bit of a picky *******, and I really want seats without the red stitching. So badly, I'd consider the (gasp!) leather ones just because they don't have red stitching. I'm still looking, and haven't decided one way or the other. I'm open to anyone's suggestions...

Post Thanks / Like
    The NRG vinyl ones have puckered stitched areas... don't look very well made... I haven't seen leather for less than 6-700 per seat anywhere
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    The quality of my NRG buckets was top notch.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    The quality of my NRG buckets was top notch.
    Which model do you have, and do they have the slot in the seat for the leg belt on a 5/6 point harness?

Post Thanks / Like
    check out the edge seams from another thread (Aloha) You can see the puckering of the edges where the panels come together. I've found this to be very common on the low cost vinyl seats from almost every vendor... Cloth examples are better but I also don't like contrasting stitching

Alohaseats.jpg
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 02-03-2014 at 02:23 PM.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Xusia, what HPDE events that you are looking at require 5-6 point belts? Maybe Porsche club does, but not Hooked On Driving, which has more HPDE events in our area than any other organization. Neither does NASA. Roll bars on convertibles yes, but not racing harnesses.

Once you stick with OEM 3 point setup, there's lots of options for adjustable seats. When you require 5-6 pt harness, adjustable seats are next to non-existent. However finding a good adjustable seat for less than $300 each is also tough, you get what you pay for!

And lots of adjustable seats work with 4pt harnesses, my favorite 4pt is the Schroth because they are DOT approved and almost as easy to put on as a OEM 3pt. https://www.schrothracing.com/tuning

If you want to do Time Attack/Trials, or wheel to wheel racing, then seats/belts are a different matter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Which model do you have, and do they have the slot in the seat for the leg belt on a 5/6 point harness?
    RSC-300 pics in my build thread. Should have pics in the car in a few days.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I have decided to get aftermarket seats. I think I can sell my OEM seats for pretty close to what new seats (inexpensive ones, like the NRGs) would cost. I'm doing this primarily because I'd really need to hack up the stock seats to get them low enough for me, and I have a problem doing that - especially when new seats can be had for around the same price I can sell my existing seats for. Aftermarket seats also have a higher chance of being compatible with the a 5/6 point harness. Oh, and they are lighter (ancillary benefit; certainly NOT a priority).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Brian,

I do believe that all the NRG seats allow for a harness but the ones we were looking, the RSC-200 and 101 at may not support the submarine belt. I'll find out. But I do believe the RSC-400 does. Call me for pricing on those. This was a seat designed to be the best of all worlds with a low seating position, a real bucket, and recline-ability. It's a roller though instead of a lever. I know some are wary of these seats and quality however Jegs sells them and I consider them a reputable family owned business. I've been super happy with all my NRG stuff.

nrg-rsc-400-seats_LRG.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    My impression of NRG is positive, and I would have no problem with their seats... If it weren't for the red stitching. They aren't "out" but I am looking at other options as well. I would appreciate knowing if those other styles/models support the submarine belt(s).

Post Thanks / Like
    So you found that you didn't need to add a harness bar (above the cross member)?

Post Thanks / Like
    My impression of NRG is positive, and I would have no problem with their seats... If it weren't for the red stitching. They aren't "out" but I am looking at other options as well. I would appreciate knowing if those other styles/models support the submarine belt(s).
    I forgot to mention, mine has the sub slot. Check with aloha, he has a NRG recliner.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not planning on a harness. Rather allowing for one later if I decide to later (I'll either find events that are OK with the 3-point, or just not go). My decision to use aftermarket seats is primarily driven by my desire/need for a lower seating position. As I said, I don't want to hack up the stock seats when I can get aftermarket seats for around what I can sell stock seats for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast