FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seating / Gas Tank Conundrum

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    My impression of NRG is positive, and I would have no problem with their seats... If it weren't for the red stitching.
    I agree about the red stitching. All the trim, inside and out, on my car is orange and the red stitching would really clash. If these came with black stitching I would probably buy a set. I wonder if the stitching could be effectively dyed.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    TOTALLY. If they offered black stitching, i'd have ALREADY bought a pair!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am 6' 3" and had to get the Boyd tank. I went with the fixed bucket NRG seats. I did put them on a recline by dropping the back all the way and will mount to the car as low as possible. This allows my head to clear the roll bar. I am hoping to use the OEM belts on the road, but will need 5 or 6 point belts for track days. I am still confused on where to anchor the belts either oem or 5/6 point, and will not have that sorted out until I figure out final placement of the seats. I am happy with the seats and for the money they are nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    TOTALLY. If they offered black stitching, i'd have ALREADY bought a pair!
    Why not just dye the threads, or take a sharpie to them?
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Because that seems like a lot of dreary work. Also because they SHOULD offer black stitching. Not doing so is stupid IMO. Red doesn't go with every interior...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    Why not just dye the threads, or take a sharpie to them?
    Because I want to have confidence that it will look good before I invest in the seats. If someone wants to volunteer to buy a set and experiment to find the most effective way to dye/sharpie the stitching and demonstrate that it looks good and will last, then I would consider it. I'm not going to invest in seats hoping that I can make them look good. I would invest in more expensive seats before I would take that chance.

Post Thanks / Like
    NRG offers a "bucket" non adjustable seat that is all black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right, but since I plan to use the space behind the seat for storage and what-not, and because I'd like to have adjustability for comfort and for other drivers, I need adjustable seats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    NRG offers a "bucket" non adjustable seat that is all black.
    That's what I got from Erik, and I like them. I, too, angled them back with the sidemounts like mekohler.

I was originally thinking like Xusia (also wanting retractable belts and reclining seats), but decided to go with the fixed back seats and harnesses only (I gave away my donor's belts). The position is set-up for me, so I don't see the need to change seat location frequently. Being in San Diego, this will be closer to a year-round daily car than most, but I don't think I'll mind clicking in to the harnesses every time... it gives the fluids a little time to circulate before rolling, and still less involved than gearing up for a bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Right, but since I plan to use the space behind the seat for storage and what-not, and because I'd like to have adjustability for comfort and for other drivers, I need adjustable seats.
    If you're anywhere near 6' there won't be much room. I have my seats angled back to what's comfortable to me, and even with Boyd tank, there's just a small amount of space. Once my seat position is finalized, I plan to find a slim subwoofer which will fit in the small volume behind my butt. Since I won't need to access this frequently, recliners don't add much value to my build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just over 6' tall, but I'm putting the gas tank elsewhere. I know there won't be a ton of room, but space for a small sub behind the driver's seat (and maybe a bit more) and a backpack behind the passenger seat, would mean a lot. So I don't need a lot of space, just accessible space.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm just over 6' tall, but I'm putting the gas tank elsewhere. I know there won't be a ton of room, but space for a small sub behind the driver's seat (and maybe a bit more) and a backpack behind the passenger seat, would mean a lot. So I don't need a lot of space, just accessible space.
    Gotcha... different priorities than me. I'm hoping to have a small cubby or two in the cabin for sunglasses, hat, etc... but for anything as large as a backpack, it's going on the passenger seat (if unoccupied) or in the truck (it's silly to have a hinged rear deck and not box in a storage compartment).

Post Thanks / Like
    Could a pouch be cut into the driver's side door card to store glasses, gloves etc? Also, will there be room anywhere to mount the donut spare and jack?

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at Erik Treves thread for a picture of the door panel, the can be easily modded to a storage compartment.
    As for a spare, most on the forum have said a while ago that they will use flat fix and a portable compressor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Xusia, what about using the fixed seat, but mounting so the whole seat can flip forward for storage access? I've seen that done on I think old Jeep CJ's. Hinge at the front, latch at the back with a release.

You could probably retrofit such a latch from a car that used such a configuration, and adapt it for the low mounting you need.

Doesn't give adjustability for changing positions for log drives or for other drivers though.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's not a bad idea. In thinking about it though, that only solves the behind-the-seat access problem. It doesn't allow for comfort adjustment.

Post Thanks / Like
    It actually works really well. I did it in the hot rod. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if the frame bracing in front of the seat will be in the way ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    I wonder if the frame bracing in front of the seat will be in the way ?
    15 minutes some POR15 on the cut, spray some gloss black and that tube is gone! I removed it on my driver's side to allow my seat to slide forward 3 inches for my petite wife of 30 years...
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    So I pulled the trigger on some seats just now. I found a deal I couldn't pass up: NRG seats (oddly, not offered on their website or through any other dealers I talked to) similar to the RSC-204, but in a carbon look. I know this could get hot, but I really like the look and there are numerous options to deal with hot seats.

The deal included sliders, 3" 6-point harnesses, and free shipping. All for less than $400!

Now to sell my stock seats...

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Gonna look into those.
    Last edited by nkw8181; 02-14-2014 at 12:05 AM.
    Nolan
    65 coupe Gen 3 "Phoenix" build
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...032#post297032

818 s (with r windscreen ) 350 rwhp. Registered and street legal (SOLD)

Post Thanks / Like
    Where was I for this deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    This was not a forum deal. I was doing research (as I often do when faced with a challenge), and came across them. It was exactly what I needed (except for the seats not being cloth, but at least they didn't have red stitching!), for what I thought was a better price than I'd seen anywhere else, so I jumped on it. I won't post the details beyond what I've already said, but anyone who is interested in more details can PM me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12