Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Which FFR model is best for daily driver?

Post Thanks / Like

Which FFR model is best for daily driver?

Yay, I can post now.

Hello from the Carolinas. I quickly fell in love with all the FFR models, despite trying to focus on a few. My history of building cars is limited to Revell models. So now I have a puzzle to solve, and I'd like your input.

Which FFR model is best for a daily driver?

Here is my wish-list:
    • Plenty of storage space (trunk) for groceries or luggage.
    • High mileage for highway commuting. (40 to 50 mpg)
    • Manual transmission, because it's so fun.
    • Comfortable ride over bumpy roads.

Options / Thoughts / Questions:
    • Which model would work with something like the Ford 2.0L I4 Eco-Boost engine? This produces 252 HP and 270 lb-ft of torque, which is plenty for my needs.
    • Are there similar engines by other companies that you would recommend?
    • Which 5-speed or 6-speed transmission with long gearing would you recommend? (with overdrive???)

I'm sure I'll have more questions later, especially about suspensions. Right now, I need breakfast and coffee.

I hope everybody has a great day!

Thanks in advance,
    Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    I say the 818 for the gas milage, not much storage room though. Not any of the FFR kits really fit your list to a T
    Last edited by bil1024; 02-03-2014 at 07:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bil1024 View Post
    I say the 818 for the gas milage, not much storage room though. Not any of the FFR kits really fit your list to a T
    Without a doubt, the hot rod would be your best bet. Roadster and 818 no heat, GTM no storage, 65coupe to sparse of comforts for a DD. 33 has heat, optional roof with close off windows, a large trunk and is till light weight. Finding the correct trans that will give you the high MPG will be the tough piece of the puzzle.

Post Thanks / Like
    There have been builders over the years that have used the entire product line (the 818 is too new) as daily drivers with some success and failures (think Jack with his coupe). There will be a compromise with each choice (comfort, storage, etc.) and the only way to get the mileage you want will be with a small engine such as the Ford Eco-Boost. I would choose the 33 for meeting most of the requirements, but you will have to fabricate motor mounts/exhaust to make it work.
    Welcome to the start of the fun.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I would imagine the aerodynamics of the hot rod (or lack-thereof) will result in a mountain of an obstacle in achieving 40 mpg on the highway, even with the smaller motor. If that is truly a semi-fixed target, you may be better off starting with the 818 and thinking hardtop (removable?) to achieve a slippery shape.

Also - I believe there are a few guys working builds with VW TDI motors if you are looking at alternatives on that front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Everybody! I'll investigate options for the 33, with 40 MPG as a goal. I would be happy with MPG in the mid-30s. This will be my Plan-A.

Plan-B is researching an 818 with a hardtop. At least these help me focus my attention for now.

I have much to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believea hard top is in the worksand you should be able to add heat / ac I imagine, its the storage spacethat maybe the issue like Kalstar said

Quote Originally Posted by EricNotEric View Post
    Thanks, Everybody! I'll investigate options for the 33, with 40 MPG as a goal. I would be happy with MPG in the mid-30s. This will be my Plan-A.

Plan-B is researching an 818 with a hardtop. At least these help me focus my attention for now.

I have much to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Two Roadsters later I can offer that the Roadster is cool but waayyyy too much attention for daily use. Gas mileage, and impracticality also make it a challenge. I would guess the 33'.
    Last edited by montyals; 02-04-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by montyals View Post
    Two Roadsters later I can offer that the Roadster is cool but waayyyy too much attention for daily use. Gas mileage, and impracticality also make it a challenge. I would guess the 33'.
    IMO
    The 33 rides too low and rough as delivered. To meet his goal he would need different springs maybe shocks and more ride height
    If he goes 4 link he could save a bit of trunk space , but that aside the 33 does have more storage than most FF models.

Post Thanks / Like

None

I don't believe any of the Factory Five cars will fit your description. These cars are designed as weekend toys not comfortable high mileage daily drivers. You may want to consider a production car as your daily driver and then get a Factory Five for fun. Probably not what you want to hear.

Jeff
    Mark III complete kit ordered 12/03/2007, received #6351 1/22/2008 Homemade mods: driver footbox extension with deadpedal and dimmer switch, widened passenger footbox, brake reservoir mounting bracket, under trunk storage box, custom dash and dash extension, heater forward box, custom glove box, under dash switch panel, Explorer motor carb conversion, first start 7/10/2010, off to paint (Performance Automotive) 11/20/2010, finally home 5/7/2011, Graduated 11/22/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd also go for the '33. As already stated, it has a hardtop and can be closed off for heat or a/c depending on location, with the 4-link you'll have half-way decent trunk space, and there are threads about adjusting the ride with different springs and/or shocks for a smoother ride.

I think the EcoBoost 4 would be cool in there also, and with a good od in your trans you should be able to hit close to 40mpg on the highway.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Eric,

Sometimes you just have to "drop back and punt". I guess I'm saying you can't make these project cars something they aren't. I have done a compromise which is, I have an Rav4 that is my DD. I have split up the driving between the DD and my roadster 60/40 or maybe leaning closer to 70/30. I will have a couple of ks on the roadster before summer, I think. If you try to design high mileage and smooth ride into it, you are likely to have a different animal when you are done. But if you still think that's what you want, here's my closest scenario.

How about a 33 hot rod with air ride (probably have to ride higher than normal) and electric drive. Then you could do the hard top and probably get some extra storage out of it. BTW, that would take some serious re-engineering. I think someone is building an electric version.

I hope you are able to come up with a great plan for your needs.

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    Hi Eric,
    If you try to design smooth ride into it, you are likely to have a different animal when you are done. Then you could do the hard top and probably get some extra storage out of it. BTW, that would take some serious re-engineering. I hope you are able to come up with a great plan for your needs.
    WEK.
    Amen
    I really wish we could convince Dave Smith to actually daily drive a full fender, full feature 33 for a month. That would likely create a list of changes for JS to make to the hotrod to give it a true street machine option package. A softer street ride with sways and a functional ride height for a running board car would be the ideal changes along with a gas tank that can be filled in a reasonable time. We need a 33S to go with the 33R they already have.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking over the list I got the idea that a Ford Transit van with better mileage was the goal. I don't see any of the kits meeting a guidelines well.

A 65 Coupe with finished interior and Ecoboost 4 would have the potential for mileage, but it's got a high sill and isn't user friendly getting in and out. Delete the sidepipes, maybe. A 818 hardtop needs more cargo space - build it as a Brit racing "saloon" and it might work. Basically turning it into a small wagon does it to gain cargo space.

None of these kits were intended to be 40mph econocars that can get groceries, spending the $20,000 to get there and living with an emasculated bare bones race toy isn't going to result in making the goal. It will likely take doubling the money to make it comfortable for a daily driver. The physics of gas mileage shows it's going to be a 1.5 liter three or four cylinder and that will result in the car having the exact opposite character that the kits are built for. Every Civic in town will be hunting to challenge you for the easy win in normal traffic at legal speeds.

It will be an ego busting laughingstock. The unintended consequences aren't pretty. Might as well go hybrid electric and ease the pain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the delay in replying; I've been busy watching YouTube for FFR models. Many "Thanks" to everyone who responded.

Regarding YouTube, I watched "The Traveler" with Ralph Button and his Roadster. The videos made me realize that I just want a car that is fun to drive. I would be happy with a Mazda Miata, but it's too small. Porsche ... too expensive. MGB ... maybe, as long as it's reliable.

An FFR Roadster seems ideal. Add some comfortable shocks, a nice soft top, heating in the footwells, and good overdrive for the transmission. I think this would be a car that I drive more often than my other one.