FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Challenge Roadster Graduate: 7789SP

Post Thanks / Like

Challenge Roadster Graduate: 7789SP

I'm finally done!!! After 20 months of fun, I'm ready to move on to the next stage: Racing!
    Since no challenge series exists around my area, I decided to build it with purpose: pure speed.

A few build details:
    • Mark IV Challenge Roadster (rcvd: 4/12/12)
    • All new parts (no donors)
    • Engine: Roush 370 Competition Engine
    • Tran: TKO 600
    • Rear: Moser 3-link
    • Brakes: Wilwood 6-p front, 4-p rear
    • Color: BMW Glacier Silver w/matte clear coat
    • Build Complete: 12/31/13

AVA SD2 by StromSpeed, on Flickr

AVA SD4 by StromSpeed, on Flickr

Here are a few pictures of my initial shake-down of the car. Amazed from the first lap; can't wait to dial-it-in!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stromsp...7640556802624/

Thanks to David, FFR, and the FFR community for all your help making my dream come true with specs, questions, parts, and knowledge! This community is extremely valuable and appreciate all the members. Thank You!
    Now its time to: "Hammer Down & Race On"!
    -Marcus Strom

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! Well done. That is the nicest Challenge car I've seen to date. Do you have any engine pics?

Post Thanks / Like
    StromSpeed:

Very nice car! Excellent job!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Buttrick View Post
    WOW! Well done. That is the nicest Challenge car I've seen to date. Do you have any engine pics?
    Thanks. Here are some engine pics:

AVA Engine 2.jpgAVA Engine 1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking car!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Stromspeed,

First off, stunning car! ALMOST too nice to race!

I've seen threads where guys talked about the safety of those triangle filters. You may want to ask around about that. I don't remember the exact part number, but some folks had an issue with fire. I'm not saying yours does, but I thought I'd mention it.

Any plans to bring it to HB this year? It's a bummer we're not racing on Sunday like last year; your car would kill it!

If you get out to California to race, let us know. I'd love to see that thing on the track.

Congratulations on a great build!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Awesome!!! Congratulations on a fine build! Hope we have a chance to drive on track one day.

Karen
    PS...Agree with David H. regarding caution with the triangle-shaped filters......
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Marcus,

That's unreal! I love the steering wheel and shifter stick. Black on grey is a great color scheme. Do you have any pics of detail on the mechanical linkage? The engine bay is very clean looking. Where will you be racing?

Thanks,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Stromspeed,

First off, stunning car! ALMOST too nice to race!

I've seen threads where guys talked about the safety of those triangle filters. You may want to ask around about that. I don't remember the exact part number, but some folks had an issue with fire. I'm not saying yours does, but I thought I'd mention it.

Any plans to bring it to HB this year? It's a bummer we're not racing on Sunday like last year; your car would kill it!

If you get out to California to race, let us know. I'd love to see that thing on the track.

Congratulations on a great build!

Thanks David!
    Now that you mention it, yes, the filter is not ideal. I already had my first track day and a few racers were mentioning this "triangle of death". So now I have a new K&N XStream I need to mount before the next event. And not only that, it started to collapse throughout the day--I'm drawing too much CFM and that filter can't handle it. So hopefully a few more HP after the install.

I hope to get over to Cali sometime soon. You guys have some great tracks over there that I would like to open her up on!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    Marcus,
    That's unreal! I love the steering wheel and shifter stick. Black on grey is a great color scheme. Do you have any pics of detail on the mechanical linkage? The engine bay is very clean looking. Where will you be racing?
    Thanks WEK!
    Here are a few shots of the throttle linkage without the body on. It's my own design and execution. Must say I love McMaster-Carr! The linkage makes for very smooth and direct throttle control.
    AVA Throttle Link1.jpgAVA Throttle Link2.jpg

I've started with ProAutoSports here in the valley. Although I have extensive track experience, I need to climb their ladder quick since I'm new to their org. Next event is Feb 15-16 at Bondurant-West and I'll be there.
    I've done one event and here is the video from that one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EFGla07bTQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Very, very nice. I've been tossing around getting a new track-day car once I'm done with my FFR (mostly a street car), now I'm going to have to reconsider just building a Challenge car for that purpose. Thanks for the inspiration!!!!
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vnmsss View Post
    Awesome!!! Congratulations on a fine build! Hope we have a chance to drive on track one day.
    Thanks!! Absolutely!
    Last edited by StromSpeed; 02-06-2014 at 04:36 PM.