Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Flexible brake line Question

Post Thanks / Like

Flexible brake line Question

I am building an MK4 utilizing an 8.8 rear end out of a 98 Cobra. I am trying to get creative with my brake lines and I am wondering if anyone has done this / if this is a good idea.

The plan is to use the stock cobra brake hoses and bracket from the caliper which is attaches to the rear end with a mounting bracket. The stock application would have hard lines going to a central T fitting over the pumpkin to a soft line that leads to a bracket that is mounted directly on mustang frames. The problem is, they don’t sell the bracket located on the mustang frames and the soft hose seems much too short and very limiting for rear end travel for the MK4 application.

My plan is to use a 7/16 NTP to -3AN fitting which will install directly into a the stock brake hose coming from the caliper (non banjo end). Use a Flexible -3AN hose to run from the rear end to the frame. On the frame have a -3AN fitting to 3/8NPT back to the hard brake lines supplied.

Can anyone see any issues? Thank you for the help / advice in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not jsut buy the right lines and go right to the frame with them?

Post Thanks / Like
    As I mentioned, no one that i know sells the stock mustang fitting that would connect the soft line to the frame. Its very odd - its a T fitting to a soft line ending in a banjo fitting that connects to the fitting on mustang frame hense my issue. In addition to the avalibility of the mustang fitting I need, there isnt nealy enough room for travel.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the center hose I am referring to :

http://www.cjponyparts.com/rear-brak...FcY7MgodUE8AKw

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Have you considered a custom fit hose? I was at the Parker Store (hydraulic and such) yesterday and they make up brake lines fancy or plain for about 30% above the retail of a OEM brake line. For one line that would be a simple fix and exactly custom to your application. Good luck,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

Maybe I am being unlcear - I took some phots to show what I am doing. I am wonding if anyone has done it like this before? My biggest concern is not in the hoses but in getting a good seal between the stock brake hose end and the 7/16NTP fitting (picture 2).

Does anyone see any concerns with this setup?

THanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtruitt85 View Post
    photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

Maybe I am being unlcear - I took some phots to show what I am doing. I am wonding if anyone has done it like this before? My biggest concern is not in the hoses but in getting a good seal between the stock brake hose end and the 7/16NTP fitting (picture 2).

Does anyone see any concerns with this setup?

THanks for the help!
    Yes, the extra fittings are just another potential leak. Just buy the correct brake hose that fits the caliper and connect to the steel brake lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 98 Cobra Hoses are attached to the rear end via a braket as you can see in the pictures i posted. If i go from the hose to a hard line there will be no allowance for rear end travel which is why i have the -3AN lines

I think i have it figured out. Ill let everyone know if there are issues when i bleed the lines.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I thought you were talking about running a single line from the front of the car to the centerline of the frame in the rear. Run hard lines from the stock caliper lines to the center of the diff to a T. Then run a single flex line from the diff to the point on the frame (one flex line with minimal travel and fewer fittings). That is what I have seen some do and wish I had done it that way. When I redo my diff I will change the plumbing. I think that would shorten the runs and simplify your fitting issue. Sorry if I misunderstood what you were going for. BTW: it looks like you are running some lines through possible UCA locations. You may want to rethink that (just a suggestion). Good luck, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem on the confusion - hard to explain without pics so i understand. One soft line would be more simple. Something to think about before final assembally.

I have no idea what a UCA is. Could you help me out here on the abbriviation
    Thanks,
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtruitt85 View Post
    The 98 Cobra Hoses are attached to the rear end via a braket as you can see in the pictures i posted. If i go from the hose to a hard line there will be no allowance for rear end travel which is why i have the -3AN lines

I think i have it figured out. Ill let everyone know if there are issues when i bleed the lines.
    Take the short old rubber hoses off, throw them in the trash, buy the correct hoses, its much simpler. http://www.breezeautomotive.com/deta...d=488&cat_id=1

Post Thanks / Like
    UCA = Upper Control Arm

Post Thanks / Like
    Very clean! If I run into any issues with the setup I have this will be a great plan B.

THanks!
    Tom