Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818S So. California Just starting

Post Thanks / Like

Cool 818S So. California Just starting

Here we go! I'm excited and a little fearful but I tell myself, "…just one bolt at a time and a little help from my friends." Right now I'm cleaning and painting the Subaru parts and getting familiar with stuff which includes reading this Forum a lot. My first Questions are about tools. I think I have most of the basic hand tools but can I get by with a small 3 gallon Compressor or should I invest in a larger one? Say, 21 gallon? and what basic nematic drivers should I look for? Or should I go electric?

Thanks, Samuel

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! There is a post on air compressors. I'd link it for you, but I'm just too lazy to search at the moment. Short of it: You could get by with a smaller one - if you like to wait for it to build up pressure. If you're into waiting, get a larger unit. If you do, I think you'll be glad you did.

The thing about pneumatic tools is that they are generally really cheap, and also smaller and lighter than electric units. It's also really easy to switch them out. Not that a cord is hard, it's just not quite as convenient.

Air tools I've bought, used, and found useful (in order of usefulness):
    • Impact wrench
    • Impact wrench
    • Did I mention an impact wrench?
    • HVLP Paint Sprayer
    • Ratchet
    • Grinder

All were bought from Harbor Freight and have performed very well. While the impact wrench has been the most useful by far, I'm particularly impressed with how well the HVLP paint sprayer works. I got it on sale for $10 and it did a simply fantastic job on my brakes (to be fair, it helped that I used very good paint).

You didn't ask about non-air tools, but I thought I would share that the Harbor Freight snap ring pliers are pure and utter junk. DO NOT BUY. Northern Tool sells a pair of Channel Lock brand that are fabulous and VERY affordable (~$30 I think). I do regular tool reviews in my build thread if you care to check it out. Next one will be a texture sprayer (for thicker paints/coatings like Lizard Skin).

And again, welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sam where are you located?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congrats. Do you have a delivery date? What City?

Post Thanks / Like
    don't forget an air riveter. your hands will thank you.

P

Post Thanks / Like
    Pneumatics are nice but in my use I preference battery drill and impact driver to loose the ball and chain effect of the hose.
    Milwaukee is my brand of choice

Post Thanks / Like
    use a hose reel...

it's nice to have a "bank" of little used tools shared between friends... So I inventory my friends to determine what fills the group need sometimes. For example only one friend needs a large blast cabinet, or a hydraulic press or a powder coating setup.

Example, right now my spring compressor setup is being borrowed by a friend while I have his brake bleeding setup, we share a powder coating setup and my brother and I bought a hydraulic press, it's in his garage. Our shared oxy acetelyne tanks are there as well while the Mig and sheet metal shear and brake are in my garage.

Everyone needs a 25-30 gallon compressor and basic air tools. I'd rather lose use of a hand than give up my DeWalt 18 volt 1/2 drill and 1/4 inch impact driver
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Compressor size depends on how you will use it (some tools use a high volume of air) and how often you want the compressor running. Using a small compressor with a high volume demand tool will have the compressor never shutting off and poor performance from the tool.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by samuel View Post
    Here we go!
    Great to have another one in the neighborhood! Where are you at?

I've used an air impact for loosening bolts off the donor parts, but so far, I've been fine with torquing and riveting everything onto the kit by hand. I'm building rather slowly, so manual tools are really no big deal IMHO if you have decent grip and arm strength. For a 6-day build like GRM did, pneumatic would be a must.

A grinder would be nice at times, but I've managed so far with just a hacksaw and Dremel (not doing much custom metal work, obviously).

I would strongly recommend a corded or pneumatic drill, though, and a rat tail file drill attachment is super handy for opening up holes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Long Beach. Nice to know not everyone is on the east coast>

Post Thanks / Like
    This leads me to my next Q. I would love to see a work in progress or a completed car. I couldn't make it to Las Vegas so I was wondering if there are any shows or events coming up in So Cal? About tools: Thanks for all your replies. I bought a 1/2 impact tool from H F and found a 21 gallon compressor on craigslist that I'm thinking of getting later today. I noticed there were 2 sizes of rivet tools at H F. what is the right size?

Post Thanks / Like
    My delivery date is June 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would love to see a work in progress or a completed car. I couldn't make it to Las Vegas so I was wondering if there are any shows or events coming up in So Cal?
    The Huntington Beach Cruise-in is April 26th; I'd expect to see an 818 there. I wanted to have my 818 there, but I don't know if it'll be done then. If you want to drive down to San Diego, you're welcome to check mine out, although there are a couple closer to you in O.C.

I noticed there were 2 sizes of rivet tools at H F. what is the right size?
    You'll need to install 1/8" and 3/16" Al rivets (I've done all mine by hand with a Stanley tool).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    LBC in the house!

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention that one of the reasons I asked about pneumatic tools was that I am having one heck of a time removing some of the suspension arms off of the rear nuckles!! What is the torching lbs. on those things? I took one side to a local shop because I had to have the wheel bearing replaced and he had a hard time of it!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, my brother lives in SD and I should be down there in March or April. My email is [email protected]
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    The Huntington Beach Cruise-in is April 26th; I'd expect to see an 818 there. I wanted to have my 818 there, but I don't know if it'll be done then. If you want to drive down to San Diego, you're welcome to check mine out, although there are a couple closer to you in O.C.

You'll need to install 1/8" and 3/16" Al rivets (I've done all mine by hand with a Stanley tool).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I forgot to mention that one of the reasons I asked about pneumatic tools was that I am having one heck of a time removing some of the suspension arms off of the rear nuckles!!
    Yeah, some of those suspension bolts are a RPITMFA and I had a fairly clean CA donor! Soaking it in Liquid Wrench and then an impact has worked for me. I haven't had to resort to a torch or more extreme measures like those with rust belt donors.

Thanks, my brother lives in SD and I should be down there in March or April. My email is [email protected]
    Sent you an email.

Post Thanks / Like
    My delivery date is June 2014
    Is that your delivery date or build date? If that is your build date then it is the same as mine. I'm in Oceanside, so our kits will probably be on the same truck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Samuel, I am building in Riverside and live in San Diego. FFR has a Huntington Beach show at the end of April. I am sure most of the local So cal people will be there. For those rear end bolts that your having trouble with just use a "cheater Bar". I went to Home Depot and got a 2' long pipe that fits over your wrench handle.
    Dru

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I live in riverside!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, I'm looking forward to meeting a lot of you in Huntington Beach in April. Got a bigger compressor today. See how it works tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Its my delivery date, but I didn't know there was a difference. How is the build different? Xcuse my ignorance. I hope to start right away but we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbackslash View Post
    Is that your delivery date or build date? If that is your build date then it is the same as mine. I'm in Oceanside, so our kits will probably be on the same truck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I see! when FFR starts to build the 818. Sorry. Good question though. I was told they would deliver in June.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbackslash View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Typically, FFR provides a "production" date. This is the date your kit will be ready. You can either pick it up, or have a shipper pick it up for you. If you choose to use a shipper (like Stewart Transportation), they will provide you with an estimated "delivery" date. Given your location, that estimate will likely be 2 weeks out from your delivery date. That said, if they actually deliver on or before the date they give you, I'll faint because it seems SOMETHING always happens that prevents them from hitting that date. It's far more likely you'll get your kit about a month after the production date...

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be at HB with my 818 and possibly doing the AHA show in Sylmar (WTF, can believe they moved it there) in early April. Not sure how far I'll be but I should have the body on. I may just bring the go cart with all the work we've done to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Long Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    Sam where are you located?

Post Thanks / Like
    +2 on the impact wrench, lol. Breaker bar, propane torch, PB blaster. All required. Before your next harbor freight run, double check your metric socket (regular and impact) and wrench collection. You'll use 17, 19, 21, 22, 24 a lot. I forget the wheel nut size, 26 or 30 maybe? 6 points preferred for all the RPITMFA bolts mentioned above, lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Northern Cal but I'll be there with the rest of the crew I've got here. Still waiting on the donor to pick up the compressor, but I'm sure I'll be at harbor freight the day after it arrives to pick up most of this list :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Brakes. This morning I took apart the rear calipers and was wondering if I need to press the piston out for maintenance before I paint them. I saw ehansen007 parts laid out on the table but couldn't tell. I like the red!

Post Thanks / Like
    You can mask the pistons and seals before you paint. Or, if you want to rebuild the caliper you can use air pressure to remove the pistons, replace the seals, and then reinstall the pistons if they are not scored. I think most guys do not remove the pistons.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I rebuilt my 4 pots/ 2 pots with stainless pistons and all new seals and hardware.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Pete, will you explain how I can remove the pistons with air pressure? I just want to make sure they are functioning and not worn out. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    You can mask the pistons and seals before you paint. Or, if you want to rebuild the caliper you can use air pressure to remove the pistons, replace the seals, and then reinstall the pistons if they are not scored. I think most guys do not remove the pistons.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a number of youtube videos that show how to remove the caliper pistons, here's one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoQlAW4DPnA
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, that was great!
    There are a number of youtube videos that show how to remove the caliper pistons, here's one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoQlAW4DPnA

Post Thanks / Like
    Sam, keep your fingers out of the way! The piston explodes out of the caliper. Don't ask how I know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea Pete, I watched the youtube video a few times and put a block of wood in the way and BAM!! My fingers thank you. Another tip for newbies is go to Autozone or the like. $23 for the six set of gaskets (front and rear) The dealer wants $41 for ONE set!! Hopefully the Quality is the same. I had to order them.
    Sam, keep your fingers out of the way! The piston explodes out of the caliper. Don't ask how I know.