FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VCP Air to Water Intercooler kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Bumping this thread with a few questions.

I found this fitting next to the drain valve. Is this intended for a temp sensor? Would that be a good location for one? My thought is this is probably on the cooler side of the entire system as it's on the front side of the heat exchanger. Thread pitch?

If I wanted to purchase 90* brass fittings for the large heat exchanger ports, what size fitting should I be looking at?

These fittings:

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    Bumping this thread with a few questions.

I found this fitting next to the drain valve. Is this intended for a temp sensor? Would that be a good location for one? My thought is this is probably on the cooler side of the entire system as it's on the front side of the heat exchanger. Thread pitch?

If I wanted to purchase 90* brass fittings for the large heat exchanger ports, what size fitting should I be looking at?

These fittings:
    That would be the place for the water temp sender for the system as that is the feed temp for the pump/core. I'll send you one or if you are in a hurry you can pick up a 1/2NPT street elbow from your local hardware store. Let me know which you want to do. You are the second person I've seen using two 90° on the HE so I'll make that standard on the kits from now on.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm headed to the hardware store today anyways so no worries there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a 2nd 90 as well. I got it from Grainger. No luck at Home Depot or Lowes.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to extend my top port with a 3" extender and a 90 degree to keep the hose from kinking.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Same here
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Wayne,
    I'm finally getting to mounting the actual AWIC. I'm looking at the pictures you've posted at the beginning and double checking I am picturing everything correctly.

I'm using the turbosmart plumb back option.

It looks like the parts I have are similar to the below picture. Only instead of the BOV mount it's just a plain aluminum tube.

I do not have a piece to couple the 2 - 90* elbows together going into the AWIC core. I'm assuming that's just a 2.5" aluminum tube that I can procure locally.

What do these side tab/mounts connect to in the chassis? Do they use the stock IC mounting brackets?

Next question:
    For those of us with the heater tubes that are spread farther apart - the 45* elbow coming out of the turbo is hitting the heater hardline. I've got it pushed onto the turbo outlet as far as it will allow. Next step is trimming down one side of the silicone to allow clearing the heater hardline.
    Last edited by metros; 04-10-2015 at 02:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jason, I have an extra upper coolant cross-over pipe that gives you that much shorter heater loop. You'd have to remove your intake manifold to install it but it'll give you more room near your turbo outlet. Text me if you want it.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Metros. PM me your email address and I'll send the updated instructions

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Jason, I have an extra upper coolant cross-over pipe that gives you that much shorter heater loop. You'd have to remove your intake manifold to install it but it'll give you more room near your turbo outlet. Text me if you want it.
    Going to try to make this work instead of removing my intake manifold. After trimming the 45* hose down it clears ok now and should work. I appreciate the offer though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    Metros. PM me your email address and I'll send the updated instructions
    PM'd

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys may want to check for leaks on the black wing nut. There is a rubber o-ring on it. My O-ring was split in two and leaking. I swapped it out with spares I had.

Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank had similar issues. I believe it's because it's a face seal but the o-ring isn't captured so when it's compressed it never bottoms out. Keep cranking and the o-ring just keeps compressing until it splits. Just be careful with how tight you make it and I'd recommend some backup sealant. It's not a VCP issue, they're all like that.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have been checking the O rings lately. The plug is packaged on the side of the HE and I had a customer that swore it wasn't there so I pull them out and put the plug in the hardware bags. He eventually found it on the floor. I found 2 split since doing that so all get checked and replaced if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the updated instructions. That makes the picture much clearer.

One last question. Are you using the stock rubber hose for plumbing the turbosmart bpv back into the intake?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes you do

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought my own air bleeder valve, since I purchased the AWIC before it was offered as an option. Do you have any tips on where to install it ( highest point either side of IC? ) , and how to get all of the metal shavings out after I am done?

Post Thanks / Like
    Can the AWIC system be installed without removing the already installed side sails on a completed car? Can the heat exchanger/radiator be installed in the rear, or hoses in the cockpit?

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran my coolant lines down through the center console to keep them away from the hot coolant lines.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt I still have room in there - what with the mega wiring bundles.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the iWire harness so plenty of room. I also cut off the top of the tunnel aluminum and riveted the sides in place. Top piece will be bolt on so it can be removed for maintenance/access.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    Can the AWIC system be installed without removing the already installed side sails on a completed car?
    Yes. I installed mine without removing the side sails. Thought It would have been much easier to do it with them off.
    "aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines" - some old dude

"Shut up! I know what I'm doing" - some angry finn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 508wrx View Post
    Yes. I installed mine without removing the side sails. Thought It would have been much easier to do it with them off.
    I couldn't figure out a way to run the hoses without removing the side sails. I guess you could thread them through if you're persistent enough and run one hose on each side, but I decided to run the supply and return together on the side with the cool radiator pipe. So I only had to remove the driver's side sail.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can the AWIC system be installed without removing the already installed side sails on a completed car? Can the heat exchanger/radiator be installed in the rear, or hoses in the cockpit?
    Yes you can, feed the hoses from the front and they will slide right down. I pulled the hose once I could reach it. Run the pump output down the driver side so you keep cool hose next to cool hose. The rest is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Skyline View Post
    I couldn't figure out a way to run the hoses without removing the side sails. I guess you could thread them through if you're persistent enough and run one hose on each side, but I decided to run the supply and return together on the side with the cool radiator pipe. So I only had to remove the driver's side sail.
    Or you can do that. It's easier to do on the car as you build it but on a complete car isn't bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there latitude as to where to mount the pump? My ABS pump is just to rear of battery. Also, I have only seen pics. of the front mounted hardware without body panels, I am assuming everything fits fine in front of the radiator and between the mounted fiberglass body panels? Also in the rear- good clearance with shock tower support, engine cover etc.?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The pump can be mounted in a few different places BUT it has to be mounted low as the pump is a centrifugal and will not suck up high. The IC core has clearance around the mounts and panels. I mounted the pump on this last car forward and worked out well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a preferred location to drill and tap in a sensor for intercooled air temp? Also, how many amps does the pump draw? What is the difference between a BPV and BOV? My engine is mostly stock '02 WRX (VF 39 turbo, Crower street cams, Cobb turbo controller, mild tune) with stock AAIC and valve.
    Last edited by tmoretta; 04-22-2016 at 01:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a preferred location to drill and tap in a sensor for intercooled air temp? Also, how many amps does the pump draw? What is the difference between a BPV and BOV? My engine is mostly stock '02 WRX (VF 39 turbo, Crower street cams, Cobb turbo controller, mild tune) with stock AAIC and valve.
    1. Measure air temp anywhere between the intercooler and throttle body. Some drill and tap at the bottom of their AWIC where the air collects to go into the throttle body.
    2. The Bosch pump that most are using (P/N 0392022002) will draw just under 4 amps.
    3. BPV (by-pass valve) recirculates the pressurized air back into the turbo inlet pipe when you let off throttle and is more discrete/quiet. BOV (blow-off valve) releases the pressurized air to atmosphere when you let off the throttle and makes a pshhhhhhhhh sound. A slight rich condition occurs with the BOV since it releases air already measured by the MAF.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried a bov and even with a stiff spring, it would vent at timed i didnt want it to which caused issues. I would strongly suggest a BPV for a MAF setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    How far back does the intercooler project towards the rear, measured from the throttle body? My trunk mounted spare tire touches against the rear of the intercooler now, and according to pics. I've seen of the air to water intercooler, looks like the new unit projects further back than stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    How far back does the intercooler project towards the rear, measured from the throttle body? My trunk mounted spare tire touches against the rear of the intercooler now, and according to pics. I've seen of the air to water intercooler, looks like the new unit projects further back than stock.
    LOL, same question, but because I'm looking at using Wayne's system in a stock STI.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123