Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 15th Anniversary MKIV build thread - TROJAN

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

15th Anniversary MKIV build thread - TROJAN

My 818 funding hasn't materialized, but it looks like my itch to build again will be satiated another way...

My brother jumped on the 15th anniversary special 4 years ago and we had just started the build when life conspired to put it on an indefinite hold. The kit has been sitting in a storage facility ever since. Well, this last Saturday we cracked open the storage unit and took out the wheels so that we could get tires and restart the build! The car has most of the suspension hung already, except brakes and the steering shaft. So sometime this week we will get new tires and next weekend we will mount them and transfer the car to my house where I will begin the build process anew. At this point it looks like my roadster is going to go into semi-storage to make room for the build. I'll probably just put a tender on the battery and drive it a little every month or so until the new one is built. I STILL need to make a glove box and trans cover and will try to squeeze that in so I can show up at HB without having to say - once again - that it's 99% complete!

Unlike my build, in which at least half of my time was spent polishing panels, this build should proceed rapidly. We will see how much we can get done before HB this year with the overall goal to have it off to paint before year-end.

The only difficult part will be the wiring, as I used an I-Squared (ISIS) system last time and this time will use a more traditional Ron Francis setup.

I will be posting a ton of pics as usual and asking a ton of questions, again as usual. The plan for power is a FMS crate 427 Windsor with TKO 600 and one of the injected stack systems. I'm looking for recommendations for the stacks. The kit came with a 3link moser rear (with LSD) and as I said the suspension is already in.

I believe I have to mount the rotors in order to mount the wheels for transport, correct?

Anyway, wish us luck on our new build!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Great news David. Yes mount the rotors to take up the space so that the lug nuts will hold the wheels in place.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 68GT500MAN View Post
    Great news David. Yes mount the rotors to take up the space so that the lug nuts will hold the wheels in place.
    Doug
    Yep, that's what I thought. Thanks Doug. I should have the chassis in my garage this weekend!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    can't wait to see progress shots. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11
    Build thread: HERE
    Epic First start video HERE

Type 65 Coupe Ordered 01/17/13

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Actually Mike you can plan on it, starting with your engine configuration. Can you shoot me your # in a PM?

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Bill! The new build won't rise to the level of craftsmanship of your outstanding builds but I'll do my best!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tires have been ordered, but they are a week out. If anyone in So-Cal has a set of shop wheels I can borrow, I'd appreciate it! I only need them for the weekend to load and transfer the chassis down to my house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    17" wheels?
    Just curious what tires you were able to find? I heard the Kumos' supply is not currently available.

Good luck on your build, looking forward to seeing your progress. Haven't seen too much status on the "Anniversary builds".
    Lucky was the only other one I remember seeing posts.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We went with Nitto NT01's. 255 front and 315 rear. They may end up being our track tires. They are almost slicks! That doesn't really matter too much here in SoCal though; I don't think we're scheduled to have rain again until 2017...

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave put your roadster or mustang up on jacks and pull the wheels/tires to move the car out of storage. Probably faster then borrowing some.
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QSL View Post
    Dave put your roadster or mustang up on jacks and pull the wheels/tires to move the car out of storage. Probably faster then borrowing some.
    Dan (THE MAN) Zoil came through with a set I can use, which my brother is picking up today. Plus, My pin-drive wheels are 15" and I'm not positive they would clear the rotors...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This weekend we played musical roadsters, taking the Mustang in to fix some welds that let go from a repair we did, moved my roadster into semi-storage and got the new roadster out of storage and down to my house so we can begin the build. Here's a few details (with pics of course) on how we spent our Saturday:

The first order of business was to rent the trailer and take the mustang in for repair. We had completely rebuilt the front end over the winter break and a couple of welds we did with the suspension let go (not enough penetration) Luckily, Grant was going very slow when it happened and pulled over right away. Here it is on the trailer:

Grant had the burdensome task of following me in my roadster so that we wouldn't have to come back to load it on the trailer for the trip to my brother's place. Here he is, complete with the requisite tootsie pop in the mouth. It's a bummer driving around, fending off picture-takers and even being harassed by a homeless guy who chastised him for driving such a sweet ride. It was tough, but he managed:

After we dropped off the Mustang and loaded up the Roadster, we headed up to LA to drop it off and headed over to a storage unit to pick up the Anni. car. Doug "THE MAN" Zoil lent us some shop wheels so we could roll the car onto the trailer. We made several rookie mistakes while getting the chassis ready for transport. The lug nuts were left at home and we couldn't locate the front spindle axle nuts so we spent 1-1/2 hrs hitting the local auto parts stores looking for replacements. We located lugnuts but couldn't find any axle bolts. grr. We still managed to get the chassis on the trailer, put the body on and were loading boxes when we found both the lug nuts and axle bolts! I put the axle bolts on and we were off.

We got back to my brother's place and dropped off the body, then drove back down to my place to unload the trailer. Here is how the chassis looks now, marking the start of our new build:

That's chassis 2 of 15. I'll update the post in a bit with the actual chassis number. While going through inventory I ran across the FFR chassis plate which I'll post later. It's gold annodized to differentiate from the standard silver ones. The build has a bunch of special markings to indicate it's special status and I'll post pics of those as well. They're pretty cool!

EDIT 11/23/2015: Looking back over this thread I want to add at this point in the build that you should check and lube all the suspension points. Doing so later in the build is much more of a hassle. Here's a link to a post much further along in the process where I do "then" what I should have done "now":
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...111#post219111

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This past weekend we started into the build. The first order of business was to get it up on stands and then go over what had been done up to this point. We used some heavy duty jack stands and the lowest setting is beyond the reach of my floor jack. Because of the angle I was able to get the front set on but the rears wouldn't reach so I just jacked it up as high as it would go and then just wookie-lifted the frame while my brother and son set the jacks under it. I'm assuming I'll be able to lift the frame off later with the creative use of an engine hoist?

Once the frame was on stands we did a quick inspection. The front UCA's are different than what is currently shipping with the kit so I inquired with FFR to see if I should switch them out (they advised to run with what I have). The boots are toast, and the steering rack boot was cracked. I suggested we switch to a new power steering rack so the manual is coming out. The rear suspension has been hung but the brake caliper brackets are not installed so I'll crack the differential next week for that job.

Only the F panels were drilled, so we decided to start laying out the hole patterns for the rest of the panels. We have the FFMetal panels for the firewall, which include new driver's footbox panels, a new passenger f-panel and the hidden battery box. Additional aluminum will be needed for a trunk wall that will be a partition between a cockpit cubby and the trunk. This is a pretty simple mod on my car that I love. Having storage accessible from the cockpit is a definite plus.

Below are a few pics of the cockpit aluminum being fitted. The results this time were much better than my first roadster! All the edges fit together very nicely, with only minor trimming or modifications needed.

This closeup shows the minor mod needed to fit the bigger driver's footbox that comes with the FFMetal kit. I used a vice to flatten the tab on the floor. I'll bend the part going under the sheetmetal shown so that it attaches to the a-frame aluminum at the front of the center tunnel. Then I'll create a patch panel to cover the remaining small holes:

The rest of these shot show how straight the panels are. They fit very nicely together!

I only had to trim a little off of the inner FFMetal driver's footbox wall to create a perfect seam on the engine side:

Notice that all the tabs are fitted on the interior of the cockpit? That's a nice detail that I like to see when the hood is open:

Holes, holes, holes....

This shot shows that I attach the tunnel sides to the tunnel supports, but stop before I get to the bottom. The bottom holes are marked with clecos in this shot. The panel is offset from the support beams but you can get them to meet by pushing the panel towards the tunnel. not drilling all the way to the floor allows the panel to curve away and clear the weld at the bottom of the beam where it meets the 4" center tube. I ended up with a couple of holes in my center console on my first build because I drilled all the way to the floor. I hope that tip makes sense:

After all the panels are fitted, they are coming off for silver powdercoat. The current plan is to engine-turn the firewall and polish/seal the trunk aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks good!
    Don't forget to add your access panel to the top of the DS FB. It will come in handy for access to you pedals connections on top.

My ball joint boots deteriorated before my first go-kart. Just replaced them last month.
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, when it comes time to lower the roadster onto its wheels/tires, use a block (or blocks) of wood to help fill the gap between your jack and the lifting point you are using (I use the pumpkin, but others will disagree with this). Then lower your jack stands, remove the wood and then jack enough to remove the stands and lower to the floor. More than one step but it works great fore me.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quick update,

I was making good progress on the car last Saturday when I noticed that the 2' deep X 7' tall X 12' long hanging cabinets that are right next to the build were over 1" away from the wall on top. A quick investigation revealed that the melamine pieces of wood that the installer had used as structural support had failed on all 3 units! So starting Sunday morning I emptied all the cabinets, pulled them off the wall and replaced the pieces with 2" x 6"s. Here it is Tuesday and I'm still loading/purging all the crud that had accumulated over the past 15 years.

When I get back on track (hopefully tonight) I'll be drilling and fitting the last standard panel. I'm going to build a new extended passenger footbox this weekend and then send all the panels out to powdercoating next week. While they are gone the plan is to install the pedals, brake and fuel lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brake Lines installed!

Time for an update...

All of the panels have been shipped out to powdercoating. Some of them have been polished and will receive a clear powdercoat finish. All of the trunk panels are polished as well as engine bay panels. The rest will be powdercoated silver.

This weekend was the most productive one I've had in a while. I ran all the brake hardlines, following the routes outlined in the manual. Using the FFR-designed route, I did all four corners with five(5) 60" lengths of 3/16 hardline. No cutting and flaring was required! Here are a bunch of pics showing the routing:

One thing to note: No where does the line actually touch the frame. I'm pretty proud of the nice tight corners and the spacing relative to the frame. I had a mental block on my first build and Good Guy Paul Mastroianni ended up running them during a build party. So this is technically the first brake lines I've run.

After the flex lines were affixed to the frame I attached a tee fitting to the left softline and ran the first hardline between the front wheels with the first length of 60" line.

Next was running the 2nd 60" line line from the footbox to the tee at the front left wheel:

Here's a shot of the footbox. The rear line is shown of the left master cylander (the one closest to the camera) and the front is on the right. The front line is routed out the top of the footbox and runs along the underside of the upper 3/4" frame tube to the front of the car.

continued...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The 3rd 60" line (rear line) snakes down behind the throttle, goes out the bottom of the footbox next to the 4" tube and runs toward the rear. I used a junction to join the last supplied 60" line. It continues down the 4" tube and up the back of the 2x3 frame member and terminates at the tee attached to the left rear.

I had to go out and get one last 60" length to do the last run. Since I am using a FFMetal battery box there is an additional cross member under the trunk that is not shown in these pics. The last line is routed along and will be attached to the edge of the cross member:

I've ordered a master for the clutch and CNC reservoirs From Mike Forte and they will be here this weekend. By Saturday evening I should have working brakes on the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great progress on the build. Will your garage be open on the 25th for anyone interested to look?
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good man. There's nothing like the first one but the second is always better and more clean as a build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    Looking good man. There's nothing like the first one but the second is always better and more clean as a build.
    Thanks buddy, although you are the KING of clean!

Quote Originally Posted by 68GT500MAN View Post
    Great progress on the build. Will your garage be open on the 25th for anyone interested to look?
    Doug
    Sure will! As of now I'm still planning on bringing it to HB, along with my MKIII.

Post Thanks / Like
    David-

Looks like a great start. I really like the silver powdercoated frame. Makes me wish I had held off and picked a different color.

Glad those shelves didn't come down around the car!

I look forward to following along.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've completed an update to the passenger footbox that is part of my brother's "Anni Build". The box is designed for small blocks only and substantially increases it's size.

I started out based on the previously posted passenger footbox mod, but I made some changes to make it mimic the overall (square front) shape of a MKIV footbox. Also, the physical measurements of that box did not work for me so I started with the bottom, modified the top, then made new templates for the sides.

It fully encases the 1 1/2" round tube.

Here are a bunch of pics for your critique and comment:

The footbox floors for both the driver and passenger have been remade with .100 metal instead of the supplied .040 and feel much more solid under your feet. You can see the thickness in the last shot above.

The top, front and inside wall are currently being polished. I'll post new pics when they are done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    David, I did the PS FB mod on my MK4 and REALLY like it. Actually, my passengers really like it, but they don't know it!
    But I like your mod even better with the flat top. My box has the angled corner and while this is good, the flat top would have been better and probably easier (just double check clearance with the body side vents, I know it's close!)
    I mounted my ECU and Cobra Earl's vent gate to the top of the footbox and had to do a lot of customization and fitting to get them to fit well, a flat top FB would have made that job MUCH easier.

btw, your brakelines look super-clean! I visited a Kit Car club 2 months ago and was showing my build to one of the members. He complimented me a couple times on how great my brakelines looked. Don't get many non-FFR builders observing that, so it was more rewarding that he recognized the work and planning that went into laying them out.
    Yours have the run in the front, low across the main chassis brace, I did that too and prefer that to the running them across the x-member. Not right or wrong, just prefer it.

Kudos on the build, looks great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks man! The best thing about the routing I did is the fact that I didn't have to do any cutting or flaring like I did with my first build. Five 60" lines, and that's it.

I have some higher res shots that show off the fuel lines bends better that I'll be posting soon. The trunk aluminum is in and some other progress has been made; just need to upload more pics before posting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm waiting to see that turned dash too.
    Love the look, but be careful, a little goes a long way.
    Don't over-do it. A couple dash accents and a firewall is enough. (this is just my opinion, but I think it's better to keep them wanting more)

It's like Jewels (or chrome) a couple items are better than too many. (kills me when I look in an engine compartment and see EVERYTHING chromed!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I know what you mean. The Firewall will be on this car and the dash is slated for mine, unless it looks TOO "blingy".

The bezel I created in another thread looks GREAT on a black dash! A little goes a long way indeed!

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love the look of a turned dash. Should look great. Nice work by the way, very nice
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    EDIT: I showed how I engine turned the firewall in a separate thread. You can read about it HERE.

I spent the weekend working on the build! I've been doing mods in the engine bay for what seems like FOREVER, but today I finally reached the stage where I could put panels on the car permanently.

I've been dealing with a steep learning curve with the sharkhide. My first attempts were terrible, and I'm going to have to work on fixing many of the panels over time. I had several panels that came out really bad, including the firewall. I had to immediately rub it out with acetone to try and save it. The current finished result is a solid 6 or 7 out of 10. By the time I got to the passenger footbox, results were looking much better, but even those panels have flaws. Oh well, for better or worse, I'm pressing forward.

Pictures tell the story the best, so here ya go. Here's where I was at the beginning of the day today:

Panels, Panels Panels...

FINALLY, putting the firewall in!

Now the "glamour" shots:

Post Thanks / Like
    David:

Those panels look beautiful! Great job. Just be careful while dropping in the drivetrain.

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Carlos!

Heavy moving mats all set; still a lot of wiring to do first...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    While I've been waiting for the motor to come I've been busy rebuilding the Mustang (again):

It kissed a pole after spinning on wet pavement. It's now back to being mechanically sound although it's uglier than ever.

Just now I got an email from Mike Fortes:

Woot woot!

Can't wait for him to dress it and dyno! Looks like I'm going to be REAL BUSY SOON!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking forward to seeing pics of that engine, David! That engine compartment aluminum looks great. I can only imagine how many hours of work went into that.
    Mk 4 roadster #8495 delivered on 12-23-2014. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...r-Build-Thread Carbureted 4.6 SOHC, C-4 auto with manual valve body. Fox width rear with 2.73 gear. First start video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8ie...ature=youtu.be

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray W. View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing pics of that engine, David! That engine compartment aluminum looks great. I can only imagine how many hours of work went into that.
    I did the same treatment to my roadster when I built it. The polishing took as long as the rest of the build! (Seriously)

This time, I sucked it up and had them done by professional polishers. Everything except the passenger footbox was done by a big outfit at an average of $100/panel. YIKES! then, they were off to the powder coaters. All the polished panels are powder coated on the other side.

The passenger footbox was done at a small hotrod shop in Santa Ana. ~150 for all 3 panels. Lesson learned!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's been a while so here's an update:

We have purchased a turn-key Ford BOSS 302 from Mike Forte! It has a Holley HP Multi port EFI setup. Quiktime bellhousing and TKO600 with mid-shift. It should Dyno later this week.

We also just moved into our own little Race shop! It's really small but we have hooked up a nice compressor and a new 4-post lift is on it's way.. I've moved all my tools over And the chassis was moved last weekend:

Post Thanks / Like
    great to see your progress. Love the firewall!!!

Congrats on the new shop. That ROCKS!!!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Mike! I followed your lead in getting a 4-post lift as well. Pretty excited about that, and the big compressor I'm running lines for too. Might even paint the project mustang!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, its going to be just about the best money you have spent for the project. Really, I kick myself for not buying one earlier.
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    David, Did you move your engine turning equipment into the new shop? That space looks great.
    Doug

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast