Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  31
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank's 818R build

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck on the maiden track day! Looking forward to your report
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb75 View Post
    Good luck on the maiden track day! Looking forward to your report
    Thanks Mike! I'm pretty stoked myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Put some rubber tubing held on with some duct tape in those rear brake line notches you made. You will be amazed how much stuff moves. You don't want anything to cut those.

I rub my tires on the top of the aluminum during hard cornering. You may have to raise them a bit more.
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 08-26-2015 at 08:10 PM.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Put some rubber tubing held on with some duct tape in those rear brake line notches you made. You will be amazed how much stuff moves. You don't want anything to cut those.

I rub my tires on the top of the aluminum during hard cornering. You may have to raise them a bit more.
    Done and good to know. I feel like this first track day will bring to light lots of little issues that autox doesn't. Hopefully not including heat problems!

Post Thanks / Like
    Lunch time update- this car is incredible. Dialing it and myself in. Very nice track and awesome instruction. Included bbq lunch. Hopefully it keeps doing well for the afternoon session. This is some of the most fun I've ever had.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, how are temps? This is a road race course not auto cross right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoo hoo!!! Looking forward to more updates and video later!!!!
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Nice, how are temps? This is a road race course not auto cross right?
    This is a 2.1 mile road course. 20 minute sessions. ~115-120 on the straight. The car is definitely heatsoaked. Especially when I stop to pit or pick up a passenger (instructor and girlfriend haha). Oil and coolant temps are very normal. Hasn't left the range it was at in autox yet. Definitely needs more aero, more tire, more camber, and a lot more driver mod.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's encouraging!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer7 View Post
    This is a 2.1 mile road course. 20 minute sessions. ~115-120 on the straight. The car is definitely heatsoaked. Especially when I stop to pit or pick up a passenger (instructor and girlfriend haha). Oil and coolant temps are very normal. Hasn't left the range it was at in autox yet. Definitely needs more aero, more tire, more camber, and a lot more driver mod.
    Great Job Frank
    "(instructor and girlfriend haha)" I take it that she the same person.
    That could make getting permission to go racing a lot easier.

Let us know what mods are next.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay! Last quick post; next one will be big and ful of fun things. 3-3.5 hour drive home plus dinner hen unloading means it'll prolly be tomorrow, though. Shifter broke on the very last lap. Left me stuck in third. So I finished in third and loaded her on the trailer. Sounds like I have to look at that. Amazing day though. Only serious issue was a shifter cable at the very end of the day! Awesome first track day in the 818.

Post Thanks / Like
    super awesome news! can't wait for the full report. Safe drive home!
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, the full report!

First, here's a video. It's pretty fun. My lines got MUCH better as the day went on and my confidence in the car/knowledge of the track increased.

The good:
    The car held up extremely well, I think. Amazing track, too. Can't say enough good things about both the staff and the physical track. Perfect surface, very grippy (some patented polymer blend into the asphalt), lots of track time with good turnovers, good instruction, good bbq lunch (included). I might just buy a season pass, actually. Total track time was about 2:15, which is more seat time than I've had in it for sure. The car handles speed very well. Stable at full speed (easy 120 down the straight with no passenger), loves the corners, and really lets you know what it's doing. I took a few enthusiastic passengers (including both an instructor and my girlfriend) for rides and everyone loved it. The car got a lot of attention, too. Almost everyone there talked to me about it at one point or another, and I even had the instructors saying how much fun it was/fast it is. I definitely am not enough of a driver for it, yet. I'm sure lots of people have pictures of the car, so here is one of my favorites of the ones I've seen so far:

The bad:
    Needs an LSD. I could tell it was only doing 1 wheel peel stuff exiting some corners. Definitely on the mod list. Also on the mod list is a tighter shifter, because I missed 4th twice (Chad knows my pain, I believe) and was not always confident on gear changes, which really distracts you from driving well. I also would like to check out the car with more aero, more camber, and much more tire. My small street tires were fine, but left a little to be desired. Also, slight fender liner rub on my driver's side lateral link. No big deal; just needs a little trim.

The broken:
    On the second to last lap of the day, the cable shifter broke and left me stranded in third gear. I finished the lap and went into the pits. Inspecting the cable today, but it's the forward-backwards cable that broke; the side-to-side one still functions. My girlfriend was going to drive it (she has more track experience than I) at the end of the day but this disabled the car so we loaded and left.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see another R on the track!

Was it the FFR supplied cable that broke? Did it actually break the cable or did a fitting come off/break?

Do you have data logging? I think we'd all like to see lots of temp logs.

Good stuff!
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    The cable broke? Where did it break? I mean I know it broke on the race track, I mean which part of the cable.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a lot of fun! No sweat on the cable breaking I guess, since you want a slicker shifter, you'll need new cables anyway.

Glad all the temps stayed well. That is promising.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Looks like a lot of fun! No sweat on the cable breaking I guess, since you want a slicker shifter, you'll need new cables anyway.

Glad all the temps stayed well. That is promising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    The cable broke? Where did it break? I mean I know it broke on the race track, I mean which part of the cable.
    Haha, Frank I was going to say "between turns 6 and 7!".

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    Nice to see another R on the track!

Was it the FFR supplied cable that broke? Did it actually break the cable or did a fitting come off/break?

Do you have data logging? I think we'd all like to see lots of temp logs.

Good stuff!
    This is the part that broke:

This is FFR shift cable on the shifter end, not the trans end. I don't know why it broke, but I can't imagine I mounted this part incorrectly. It's a vague shifter to begin with, so I guess my upgrade is just forced a little early. Anyone have experience with other shifters? I was looking at the K-tuned one. I'm sure Wayne can chime in.

I do not have my logs. I didn't make enough room on my AP before going to the session, and don't have a way to monitor it with my tactrix other than a laptop. I was plugging into it in between sessions and looking at temps. Coolant was under 200 each session.

Thanks for the support, guys. It's really starting to come together. I have another track day in 2 weeks (well, track weekend actually. Friday-Sunday at SLMP), and plan to do a few things by then. Fix my shifter and my truck's exhaust are the biggest ones, though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the vid! Inspiration to keep plugging away.

Looks/Sounds like a great time at a nice track -a perfect day. Glad your shakedown only had the shifter cable issue & that everything else worked out to your satisfaction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great news on your successful track day, congratulations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Frank,
    Glad to see you had a great first track day. Michael and I are looking forward to the same.

I can think of a few reasons I've seen cable fail at that point. Not in particular order.
    1. Manufacturing defect. (over crimped.)
    2. To much bend at the point of breakage. (You want that joint to be as straight as possible)
    3. Electrical current. (forgetting engine strap ground puts current through cable)
    4. more force than the cable was designed for.
    5. Lack of lubrication (manufacture defect)

if the wire strands kind of look melted at the tips. I would look at #3.
    With a to sharp of bend, one stand will break or pull out. Mucking up all the others.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 08-30-2015 at 08:15 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb75 View Post
    Thanks for the vid! Inspiration to keep plugging away.

Looks/Sounds like a great time at a nice track -a perfect day. Glad your shakedown only had the shifter cable issue & that everything else worked out to your satisfaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    Great news on your successful track day, congratulations.
    Thanks guys, it means a lot to me! It's incentive for me to keep working on her, too. It's DEFINITELY worth all the late nights, frustration, and confusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Hey Frank,
    Glad to see you had a great first track day. Michael and I are looking forward to the same.

I can think of a few reasons I've seen cable fail at that point. Not in particular order.
    1. Manufacturing defect. (over crimped.)
    2. To much bend at the point of breakage. (You want that joint to be as straight as possible)
    3. Electrical current. (forgetting engine strap ground puts current through cable)
    4. more force than the cable was designed for.
    5. Lack of lubrication (manufacture defect)

if the wire strands kind of look melted at the tips. I would look at #3.
    With a to sharp of bend, one stand will break or pull out. Mucking up all the others.

Bob
    Bob, good suggestions. The ends are all sharp and definitely look sheared. Hopefully this rules out #3. Since it's the FFR shifter side, there's not much I can do to adjust the bend at this point. But it does look like too bend here or perhaps a manufacturing defect. I'm thinking rather than risk it (and also risk missing a shift with the vagueness of the shifter), I'll just upgrade to one with more feel. Again, definitely looks sheared here to me. The shifter felt bad for maybe ~10 laps before it broke. Perhaps one strand of cable broke before the rest of them did.

When is your and Michael's first track day, Bob?

Thanks,
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, it means a lot to me! It's incentive for me to keep working on her, too. It's DEFINITELY worth all the late nights, frustration, and confusion.

Bob, good suggestions. The ends are all sharp and definitely look sheared. Hopefully this rules out #3. Since it's the FFR shifter side, there's not much I can do to adjust the bend at this point. But it does look like too bend here or perhaps a manufacturing defect. I'm thinking rather than risk it (and also risk missing a shift with the vagueness of the shifter), I'll just upgrade to one with more feel. Again, definitely looks sheared here to me. The shifter felt bad for maybe ~10 laps before it broke. Perhaps one strand of cable broke before the rest of them did.

When is your and Michael's first track day, Bob?
    Thanks,
    Frank
    We have 10 days before registration, We don't want break anything before then.
    We are pretty confident about autocross as we did 72 runs last Saturday and Sunday without issues.
    I would like to get a data logging system running first to monitor all the temperatures.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    We have 10 days before registration, We don't want break anything before then.
    We are pretty confident about autocross as we did 72 runs last Saturday and Sunday without issues.
    I would like to get a data logging system running first to monitor all the temperatures.
    Bob
    Awesome! 72 is a lot of runs for 2 autoxs (18 runs per driver per day?). After my day, I recommend checking all fluid levels between each session (gas, oil, trans fluid, coolant, at least). Data logging would be cool. So would GoPro footage

Best of luck, Bob. I look forward to hearing about your first time on track with the car.

Also, for any R builders, I strongly recommend either a hoodie or at least long sleeves (it was cold in the morning) if you don't have a suit. Gloves would be nice, too. Stuff sometimes comes up and hits you while you're driving. I assume those with windshields don't have to worry about that part.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's so cool to see that even though things are breaking you are full of joy. That means, like you said, the car is worth the hassles so that you can drive it!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    It's so cool to see that even though things are breaking you are full of joy. That means, like you said, the car is worth the hassles so that you can drive it!
    I said this as I was being pushed from the pit to the paddock and I'll say it again: if this is the only thing that broke after ~140 miles on track, I'm ecstatic. That's more than double how far I've driven it to date in a single day. And I wasn't gentle

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a set of FFR cables I won't be using or need (MR2 Shifter) if you need one or both to get you back on the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a set of FFR cables I won't be using or need (MR2 Shifter) if you need one or both to get you back on the road.
    Mitch, I sent you a message. If you're not going to use them I would love to have them (probably both as a spare in case this happens again) as I'm tracking again in less than 2 weeks. I called FFR and they want to see photos of how this failed and maybe get the cable back in. I feel like it might be a manufacturing defect. FFR's former co-op (Frank) installed the shifter with me back in the day, so even more reason to assume it was not an installation error.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got your message PM me your address and I will get them out to you tomorrow.

Glad to help,

Mitch

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank that session looked really fun and the car looked great! Also, I'm guessing you didn't have any issues running the TMIC?

Upgrading the shifter is a great idea. I went the MR2 route with shorter cables - it's a bit cheaper than the k-tuned setup and not as plug-and-play but I think has a very similar feel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got your message PM me your address and I will get them out to you tomorrow.

Glad to help,

Mitch
    Thanks again, Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Frank that session looked really fun and the car looked great! Also, I'm guessing you didn't have any issues running the TMIC?

Upgrading the shifter is a great idea. I went the MR2 route with shorter cables - it's a bit cheaper than the k-tuned setup and not as plug-and-play but I think has a very similar feel.
    It did heat soak when I sat in the pits after running then went back out. I don't have the top piece on it, though. So it's allowing a lot of air to pass by.

I'm gonna go through my next track day with the stock shifter and Mitch's cables. I'll look into an upgrade either way over winter, I think. I like the MR2 route better financially.

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR's former co-op (Frank) installed the shifter with me back in the day, so even more reason to assume it was not an installation error.
    Damn, there's a lot of Franks around.
    I also have a spare set of FFR cables which I have no chance to use, but I am in Canada, which means it'd cost anyone in USA $2k for shipping instead of the usual free or 5 bucks shipping you guys get. lolll
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, there's a lot of Franks around.
    I also have a spare set of FFR cables which I have no chance to use, but I am in Canada, which means it'd cost anyone in USA $2k for shipping instead of the usual free or 5 bucks shipping you guys get. lolll
    Haha. I was going to say...it's definitely cheaper for me to drive almost anywhere in QC than it is to ship something. Plus it'd be much faster.

So many Franks. I'm "Frank 3" to my friends. Frank 1 worked at FFR and has a 5.0 in his Nissan 240. Frank 2 is building a Honda swapped Fiero.... we all do some weird car things.

Post Thanks / Like
    And I know another Frank, at DriveShaftShop, he does the axle bars for FFR and any custom driveshaft one wants (including mines, which will cost less than expected). I don't know what he drives, though...
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    And I know another Frank, at DriveShaftShop, he does the axle bars for FFR and any custom driveshaft one wants (including mines, which will cost less than expected). I don't know what he drives, though...
    That's awesome. I'm letting him know about them, for his axles. He's had issues with the ones he custom made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Popped in my trans tunnel cover while I had my shifter taken apart. It took a tremendous amount of trimming and maneuvering. But, it's in and looks nice.

Also installed some anti parachute vents, Chad Plaven style. Upside down from his, though. I like them either way and this is how they ended up.

Post Thanks / Like
    About the bumper vents, we still don't know if they really work?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    About the bumper vents, we still don't know if they really work?
    No, we don't. Suggestions on how to find out if they do?

They definitely do look awesome, though. And it would make sense if they functioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, we don't. Suggestions on how to find out if they do?

They definitely do look awesome, though. And it would make sense if they functioned.

This is how: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=111111

I bought one of these to do the testing, and of course wool tufts too.
    http://www.amazon.com/Meters-PDMM01-...0_SR160%2C160_
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    This is how: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=111111

I bought one of these to do the testing, and of course wool tufts too.
    http://www.amazon.com/Meters-PDMM01-...0_SR160%2C160_
    I will definitely be buying wool tufts for the next track day (3 day event at SLMP, 9/11-9/13). It gives me a lot of time to analyze and modify things, like alignment, tire pressures, and aero. Great links; thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Did some suspension adjustment and took care of a serious wasp infestation in the house. Man, I can't stand nature sometimes.

Also installed my E-brake handle. But it seems I don't have the piece that connects to the Factory Five provided metal cover (and originally the frame). Does anyone know what that part looks like?

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast