Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  31
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank's 818R build

Post Thanks / Like
    Our car weighed in at 1828 as a fully driving go-kart (no driver) on Longacre scales at EFI Logics. We also had the windshield, carbon canister (now removed from the car), etc. Basically, we were just missing the fiberglass panels, headlights, and tail lights.

Additional weight came from:
    We had about 60lbs of fuel more than you, since our tank was close to full (estimating a full tank weighs about 90lbs)
    AWIC system, which took a little over 2 gallons of water (~17lbs), plus the weight of the hoses, awic radiator, and the core (20lbs?)
    I imagine your Kirkey's are a little lighter than our Sparco seats.
    Our 25lb turbo

Combined that's around 100lbs or so of extra weight that our car has compared to yours.

How much do you think the panels, headlights, and tail lights weigh? I was thinking 200lbs, but maybe that estimate is high. We haven't weighed ours since it was completed. Now I'm curious!
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamra View Post
    Our car weighed in at 1828 as a fully driving go-kart (no driver) on Longacre scales at EFI Logics. We also had the windshield, carbon canister (now removed from the car), etc. Basically, we were just missing the fiberglass panels, headlights, and tail lights.

Additional weight came from:
    We had about 60lbs of fuel more than you, since our tank was close to full (estimating a full tank weighs about 90lbs)
    AWIC system, which took a little over 2 gallons of water (~17lbs), plus the weight of the hoses, awic radiator, and the core (20lbs?)
    I imagine your Kirkey's are a little lighter than our Sparco seats.
    Our 25lb turbo

Combined that's around 100lbs or so of extra weight that our car has compared to yours.

How much do you think the panels, headlights, and tail lights weigh? I was thinking 200lbs, but maybe that estimate is high. We haven't weighed ours since it was completed. Now I'm curious!
    I was thinking more like 120-150lbs. Fiberglass is light, right? Those Kirkeys are light, for sure. I do have a little extra fuel (maybe a gallon total) with the surge tank/plumbing. Maybe when I'm down home with the 818 next (15 mins from EFI) I'll hop on the scale. Maybe the dyno, too. Just to see how it compares (though I've compared EFI to Moon's dyno with the same car before).

I'd love to see a comparative estimate. The more weight certs (or corner balances) the better!

So, street legality stuff:

I sent in my paper work today! Now to play catch-up and actually finish the car before NY calls me and says to show up for inspection.

I installed the wiper assembly (Thanks Tamra and Andrew for sending it my way!)

Only problem...my hood doesn't fit. And not by a little. I think I'd need to extend the hood up about 6" in the back. So... back to the drawing board tonight!

All I need to complete now is the wiper assembly (no clue how I'm gonna make it fit), the e brake (cover isn't on/cables aren't tensioned), charcoal canister (considering skipping it and seeing if they let me slide), and intake plumbing for my temporary intercooler delete. It's a total whirlwind right now, but very exciting to have this BS-paperwork come to an end soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you could try one wiper? That can fit.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    We had to extend ours up about 2". Did you trim the flange on the back of the hood to give them more clearance?

If you need us to send you the fiberglass pieces for cutting out the hood we'd be happy to, but I know you mentioned not wanting to chop the hood.
    Tamra
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah, almost forgot, we are getting our car corner weighed tomorrow morning, so we will know for sure how much the panels add! They are different scales (a friend has a good quality set) but I imagine they should have similar readings.
    Tamra
    First autocross 3/29/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah, almost forgot, we are getting our car corner weighed tomorrow morning, so we will know for sure how much the panels add! They are different scales (a friend has a good quality set) but I imagine they should have similar readings.
    That is very exciting! I await your results!

I'll post my solution to my wiper issue soon. Gotta drive to the city (Manhattan) first. Anyone down in that area this week?

Post Thanks / Like
    As is the norm, 2/3 bolts came out fine.

Here's how they sat when I bolted the bracket "stock"

And here it is after some light bending and mounting it lower.

So my hood hit my windshield without wipers (remember, I installed it with the race screen in, not the glass windshield), and it's obviously MUCH worse now. So I decided to ricer hood pop/space my hood. I brought the hood pins all the way up and was still an inch short, at least. So, I made little spacers out of some scrap steel. Of course, I had to cut the hood pins (luckily I have an extra pair) so they don't bottom out now:

Hood fits and everything clears. Just want to get some nylon spacers on the hood pin shafts to make sure the hood rests nicely and doesn't crack or anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, NY wants side marker lights. Red, and always on. To that I say: FINE.

Talk about temporary. Velcro'd on, wires run through existing holes. These might fall off the car after inspection...

Here's my intercooler delete so my stupid deck lid fits on my stupid car. I'm gonna need to decide on a solution for the long term for this car's intercooling.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Don't worry all the cool kids are doing it.

xw5D0Kx.jpg
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer7 View Post
    Stand alone fuel management system. Not a bad way to drop 10 grand.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright, wipers are done! JDM hood pop yo, blowing welds on my intake. All that good Fast and Furious stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Will that actually pass in NY?

I know in Mass it absolutely would not.
    "aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines" - some old dude

"Shut up! I know what I'm doing" - some angry finn

Post Thanks / Like
    It passed in CT for us, but they didn't like our hood pins of all things. They weren't "grade 8." Inspectors can be weird sometimes.

Frank, you can trim off that flange on the windshield side of your hood and drop your hood another 1" it looks like. Less restrictive airflow too if you do that.

Also, we made a little brace and put it in the center of the hood, which effectively lifted up the center a little bit for additional clearance without making the outer edges have to be so spaced. Side benefit is that we don't have a floppy hood anymore.
    Tamra
    First autocross 3/29/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 508wrx View Post

I'm not sure. I'll find out soon enough. If I have to cut up the hood on the spot and lower the hood, I will bite the bullet and do it.

It passed in CT for us, but they didn't like our hood pins of all things. They weren't "grade 8." Inspectors can be weird sometimes.

Frank, you can trim off that flange on the windshield side of your hood and drop your hood another 1" it looks like. Less restrictive airflow too if you do that.

Also, we made a little brace and put it in the center of the hood, which effectively lifted up the center a little bit for additional clearance without making the outer edges have to be so spaced. Side benefit is that we don't have a floppy hood anymore.
    I have NO clue what this inspector wants. He's super strict about some things and super lenient on others. Your center hood brace is my absolute fall back plan. The hood was stable at triple digit speeds on the track, so I am not worried about further bracing it unless I really need to raise it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    The center hood brace also serves to lift the center of the hood a little, and gives you extra clearance over the wipers, without requiring any cutting. I just bolted on a piece of aluminum with some weather stripping on the edge and spaced it to where it hits the hood a little. Basically, you can take out a few of those washer spacers and make the hood less noticeably spaced up. It lets the hood arc down in the corners a bit while keeping the center elevated.

When are you going for inspection?
    Tamra
    First autocross 3/29/15

Post Thanks / Like
    The center hood brace also serves to lift the center of the hood a little, and gives you extra clearance over the wipers, without requiring any cutting. I just bolted on a piece of aluminum with some weather stripping on the edge and spaced it to where it hits the hood a little. Basically, you can take out a few of those washer spacers and make the hood less noticeably spaced up. It lets the hood arc down in the corners a bit while keeping the center elevated.

When are you going for inspection?
    I'm going to Albany for it. And I like that idea, I just don't want to do unnecessary engineering/work on the car for something I'm going to immediately remove. Though I will, if need be, of course

Post Thanks / Like
    Sigh.

So the NYS DMV is "3 weeks behind, at least" on home made vehicle applications. Considering I had to snowblow the driveway this morning in upstate NY, 3 weeks (at least) from now might be too late. I'm considering holding off on street legality for this season and re prepping the car for the track, with street legality taking a back burner spot until either right after the spring thaw or late next season (don't want to miss any prime track time).

bummed

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 508wrx View Post

Actually my question would be "did you see how close to the hood the arms are?" Would the hood collapse on the arms at highway speed? 2 questions, sorry.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Frank, you can trim off that flange on the windshield side of your hood and drop your hood another 1" it looks like. Less restrictive airflow too if .
    Be carefull with this, panel edges are there for rigidity... If you cut it, you'll need a brace under for sure

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Actually my question would be "did you see how close to the hood the arms are?" Would the hood collapse on the arms at highway speed? 2 questions, sorry.
    It very well might. I will be lowering it for transport and returning it to "street height" just for the inspection. Then of course removing it for any street driving. If I need windshield wipers I'm already in such big trouble in this car that seeing will be on the back burner

Quote Originally Posted by Coolspot View Post
    Be carefull with this, panel edges are there for rigidity... If you cut it, you'll need a brace under for sure
    Agreed. This could be structurally compromising. Why I said I wouldn't go for it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sigh.

So the NYS DMV is "3 weeks behind, at least" on home made vehicle applications. Considering I had to snowblow the driveway this morning in upstate NY, 3 weeks (at least) from now might be too late. I'm considering holding off on street legality for this season and re prepping the car for the track, with street legality taking a back burner spot until either right after the spring thaw or late next season (don't want to miss any prime track time).

bummed
    So what's in store for this racing season? What do you plan to do to the car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentH View Post
    So what's in store for this racing season? What do you plan to do to the car?
    I'm glad you asked! I plan to pull the motor and tranny over winter...motor to do cam seals, replace a fuel line that I don't like, timing, oil pan/pick up tube, and maybe more. Transmission leaks at the case halves so that needs to be buttoned up.

Then, figuring out an intercooler solution and lots of aero (wing, vents, splitter, etc.). Also mounting suspension in R height.

Should be a decently busy winter. Plus I spend the month of March in Asia for work, so it has to be nearly done for track time in April!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ever have one of those times where you work really hard for no reason at all?

Due to the DMV saying they're gonna drag their feet, I said "screw it; let me pull the engine and trans and fix them before I get my appointment)". So I started taking the car apart, all day Wednesday and Thursday (had our Thanksgiving last weekend):

Then, Friday morning, the DMV called me and said "get ready, you'll have an appointment in the next few weeks."

So, I started putting the car back together. It comes apart a lot faster than it goes together. Total waste of 2 days off and a weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know, if you wouldn't have torn the car apart they would never have given you an appointment ;p Go Figure !

Congrats anyway on getting scheduled!
    Tamra
    First autocross 3/29/15

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woah the DMV CALLED you? I've never heard of a DMV calling someone. Usually you call them and wait on hold for an hour

Post Thanks / Like
    You know, if you wouldn't have torn the car apart they would never have given you an appointment ;p Go Figure !

Congrats anyway on getting scheduled!
    That's exactly right! Thanks haha

Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Woah the DMV CALLED you? I've never heard of a DMV calling someone. Usually you call them and wait on hold for an hour
    Yes they did. Also he gave me a hard time about a bunch of things, including padded window visors. I guess there's no way around that one. Has anyone installed them? A quick search gave me no results.

Post Thanks / Like
    NYS DMV can be funny. When I took in my FFR Cobra I did not even have visors installed and it passed no problem. However I was prepared. I had some home made visors with thick fabric as padding in the trunk!

Look in the Cobra section for guidance on NYS inspections.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    NYS DMV can be funny. When I took in my FFR Cobra I did not even have visors installed and it passed no problem. However I was prepared. I had some home made visors with thick fabric as padding in the trunk!

Look in the Cobra section for guidance on NYS inspections.
    Weird, isn't it?

Hobby Racer- you're in Syracuse? I'm in Oswego. I see your next car is an 818R. If you ever want to check mine out let me know. I'd also love to see your roadster at some point!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hobby Racer- you're in Syracuse? I'm in Oswego. I see your next car is an 818R. If you ever want to check mine out let me know. I'd also love to see your roadster at some point!
    I hope to order the 818R this winter. I'd love to see your 818R this spring. We can meet up some place and I can bring the Cobra.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope to order the 818R this winter. I'd love to see your 818R this spring. We can meet up some place and I can bring the Cobra.
    Save the hassle and buy my R .
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    And then sell me the wing and side scoops off of it

Awesome! That'd be great. Cobras have always been on my to-build list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Deliver the the East Coast?

Post Thanks / Like
    Deliver the the East Coast?
    Road trip! Chad if you trailer it out here you can grab a track day in my R with me. Help me dial it in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Road trip! Chad if you trailer it out here you can grab a track day in my R with me. Help me dial it in.
    Since it cost me $1700 in gas to tow from CA to Circuit of the Americas for a race, shipping by truck is the only way. It would be easy- I would put it S height and load the coilovers for height. Boom- done.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Consider this: If you bought a new R, you'd have to pay for shipping too. I can't remember what I paid but it was around $1500 or so to get my kit to Atlanta. Guessing you'd pay about the same or a little less to get a completed rolling, driving car from California to the East coast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since it cost me $1700 in gas to tow from CA to Circuit of the Americas for a race, shipping by truck is the only way. It would be easy- I would put it S height and load the coilovers for height. Boom- done.
    It was just a joke; shipping truck is much cheaper of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Consider this: If you bought a new R, you'd have to pay for shipping too. I can't remember what I paid but it was around $1500 or so to get my kit to Atlanta. Guessing you'd pay about the same or a little less to get a completed rolling, driving car from California to the East coast.
    That's true. A friend of mine picked it up with me; it was ~$300 for gas/food/tolls, since people like me and Hobby Racer are a day trip away from FFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's true. A friend of mine picked it up with me; it was ~$300 for gas/food/tolls, since people like me and Hobby Racer are a day trip away from FFR.
    Yeah, I picked up my Cobra kit and plan on doing the same for the 818R. Plus building the car is part of the fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    THEY CALLED ME! I'm heading down to the inspection station on Tuesday of next week. Said it should only take an hour.... I'm SO EXCITED!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and good luck!!! What's left to do before then?
    Tamra
    First autocross 3/29/15

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast